PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Pregame Stuff From Trent

reds44
07-12-2007, 08:02 PM
And here's what Griffey had to say about Peter Gammons report that he said he expected to be traded.

"I don’t know what I said to Peter Gammons. I don’t know what you’re talking about.

There’s a whole lot of reporting going on around here.

I don’t think the question was directed that way.

I do have control over where I can go, or where I want to go. I think that’s how it was directed. I have control over where I want to go.

I’m here. I can’t control who they talk to or who calls them, all I can do is go out there and play baseball."

Here's the Reds other move of the day...

In other transactions, the Reds claimed off waivers from the Twins LHP Alexander Smit. He has yet to be assigned to a Reds minor league affiliate.

Smit, 21, went 1-4 with 1 save and a 5.86 ERA in 18 appearances (8 starts) this season with Class A Fort Myers, including a 3.86 ERA in 10 games as a reliever (8er, 18.2ip). Last season with Class A Beloit, Smit went 7-2 with a 2.99 ERA in 34 appearances (13 starts). He was named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week for August 7-13.

Smit, a native of the Netherlands, was ranked by Baseball America as the Twins’ 14th-best prospect in 2003. In 2001 and 2002 he was a member of the Dutch National Junior Team and was selected to play on the Dutch Olympic Team in the 2002 International Cup in Cuba.

When told about the Reds claiming Smit, Pete Mackanin said, "He's not a manager, is he?"

That cracked up the room. Great line. Mackanin has really got the right personality and attitude for the position he's in.

As for Moeller, it's a pretty easy move. That way he goes down when Bobby Livingston gets the call for Monday (that has not been announced, but that's what I'd expect). Lopez stays up with Castro out, and then the pitcher who gets called up goes down when Homer's ready to come back up. Really, it's not anything to get upset about. With Freel and Hopper already here, it's not like they needed another outfielder, they're heavy on the outfielders already. With Keppinger and Lopez already up, you have bats that can play in the infield (although, Lopez was hot the last month with the Bats, I'd still rather have Javy on the bench). Javy will be pinch hitting and you can switch for him at some time if you want now that you have a third catcher. Really, for a move like this, there's no reason to get your undies in a bunch, as it seems many of you have. It's for one series for a team that's already out of it. Seriously, settle down.

Reds are doing infiled right now. Lopez is at short and Keppinger as at second. Pete said he wanted to do it today, getting back from the break. And that he would probably do it the first day back at home -- if he's still there, he said. I think he will be. But, for a guy in his position, he's gotta make that clarification.

As I'm sur emany of my fans will appreciate, I asked Pete Mackanin about Phillips batting fourth, and this will be in the paper tomorrow, but I thought you guys would enjoy the response:

What I like about him as a four guy is he’s not afraid to be a four guy. Over the years, you’d be amazed how many guys in the minor leagues who don’t want to hit fourth. Good hitters I’ve had in the minor leagues and Latin America, they don’t want the pressure. He’s not afraid.

With him, we had men on first and second and he was going to the plate, he said, ‘Pete, want me bunt them over try to drive them in?’ That showed me something, he’s thinking about whatever I want him to do, he’ll do it. It’s not very often you get the guy batting fourth willing to bunt. Whatever he thinks he needs to do to win, which I like.

The thing I like about this guy is he has no fear, that means so much. Go out and play, don’t act scared. He’ll go get it and try to beat you, that’s how I feel about Phillips. Challenge him, hit fourth, he can do a lot of things. He’s got enough power to hit fourth. If it makes the other guys comfortable, but nobody on this team has said they don’t want to hit fourth, but it fits him and it splits up Dunn and Griffey.

Just some tidbits I found interesting.