Hopper cf
Griffey rf
Phillips 2b
Dunn lf
Hatteberg 1b
Gonzalez ss
Ross c
Harang p

First it was Freel taking time for Edwin, now it's Hopper.

This guy is worse then Narron was.

Degenerate39
07-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Freel 3b
Hopper cf
Griffey rf
Phillips 2b
Dunn lf
Hatteberg 1b
Gonzalez ss
Ross c
Harang p

If Castro wasn't hurt chances are we would've seen him today.

Jr's Boy
07-13-2007, 05:51 PM
What's so bad about this order?A game without Ed E. and people call for Mac's head.

redhawkfish
07-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I think(I hope) Freel is being showcased for a trade. EE is our 3B for many years. I don't worship EE, but he shouldn't sit more than once every couple weeks.

BLEEDS
07-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Dude is right, we're NEVER going to win the Pennant with Hopper in there!

OR

Maybe, just MAYBE we're trying to give a day off for EE? and try to see what Hopper can do with 4 AB"s in the Same Game?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

jimbo
07-13-2007, 06:22 PM

I guess that goes to show that we should always be careful what we wish for.

I could tell from the minute he was hired, the way he was talking how he wanted to get everyone plenty of playing time that his lineup "musical chairs" was going to be worse than Narron's.

I just pray that his time in Cincinnati is brief. It's only been over a week or so, but color me unimpressed so far.

captainmorgan07
07-13-2007, 06:26 PM
no one will ever be satisfied around here if there favorite player isn't in the lineup. Maybe there playing the matchups don't everybody jump off the titanic because of one game. We complain where people hit let's see last time i checked the standings we still stink. So a new lineup everyonce in awhile aint gonna hurt anybody on this team.

He got it!
07-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Making out the lineup is just one small part of being a manager. I don't understand why people say Pete sucks cause he leaves their favorite player out of the lineup or bats Dunn too high or too low. The guy is 5-2 and imo has handled the pitching staff and bench very well. Lets not mail in a ballgame before it even starts because your favorite Red isn't starting. None of the Reds with the exception of Jr. are playing good enough on offense and defense to be written down in a spot in the lineup in ink everyday.

jimbo
07-13-2007, 06:39 PM
no one will ever be satisfied around here if there favorite player isn't in the lineup. Maybe there playing the matchups don't everybody jump off the titanic because of one game.

I can't speak for anyone else, but EE is not my favorite player. Having said that, he's the best option at 3B on this team and should be playing everyday. What's wrong with a little consistancy for a change? In my opinion, the only platoon position is 1B with Hattie and Conine. After that, with Hamilton out Freel should be the everyday CF and EE everyday 3B.

The concept of throwing a different lineup out there everyday based on matchups hasn't worked, so how about sticking with a set lineup for a change? What would it hurt? Let these players know what their long-term role is instead of it changing everyday.

Mitri
07-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Edwin has sat, what, three of the eight games Pete has managed? Not ok in my book, but it's enough to get the "Freel showcase" speculation running through my head. Freel might be a real nice add-on to any of the players rumored to be traded away.
As for his lineup construction, anyone who bats Dunn lower than fourth has the wrong idea, or at least different from what I want to see. I do like the way he's utilized both Hatteberg and Hamilton so far though...we'll see.

captainmorgan07
07-13-2007, 07:13 PM
well looky here freel and hopper both reach in the first inning. Not saying edwin wouldn't of but let the game play out alittle before we complain about the lineup.

jmac
07-13-2007, 07:24 PM
no one will ever be satisfied around here if there favorite player isn't in the lineup. Maybe there playing the matchups don't everybody jump off the titanic because of one game. We complain where people hit let's see last time i checked the standings we still stink. So a new lineup everyonce in awhile aint gonna hurt anybody on this team.
Yes...someone is gonna complain about every lineup so the mgr no matter who it is...will get it regardless.
As you stated, we are not 45-3 with EE in the lineup or Javy etc so mix it up alittle and see what works.

keeganbrick
07-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Give it a rest with the lineup, someone is going to complain every night no matter what is ran out there. At least he consistantly splits Jr and Dunn with a righty

redsfanfalcon
07-13-2007, 07:56 PM
He's 5-2, give him a break. I even questioned him last night keeping Burton in, but it worked out. So far, it's working out tonight.

jmac
07-13-2007, 08:14 PM
He's 5-2, give him a break. I even questioned him last night keeping Burton in, but it worked out. So far, it's working out tonight.

I wonder if he is looking at maybe giving him a few of Coffey's chances ?

redsfanfalcon
07-13-2007, 08:21 PM
I wonder if he is looking at maybe giving him a few of Coffey's chances ?

I hope not...I think Narron did plenty of that!

captainmorgan07
07-13-2007, 08:54 PM
i don't care who he gives coffeys chances to aslong as it's not coffey. He has been way to bad to use in close games.

Lockdwn11
07-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I don't know but it looks like this was the right lineup tonight.

ChatterRed
07-14-2007, 12:55 AM
I liked the lineup.

I like Phillips batting 4th. Nice change of pace. We need a RH power bat, and he has fit the bill so far. Sandwich him in between Griffey and Dunn and it gets interesting. He is a legit thread.

Mutaman
07-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Why is everyone around here so continually obsessed with who bats where? The lineups are not the reason this team is 16 games under .500. Heck, the offense is not the reason this team is 16 games under .500.

TC81190
07-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Edwin Encarnacion...the sub-400-wonder.

Maldez
07-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah, what a friggin' disaster batting Phillips clean-up turned out to be. A mere 6 RBIs for the clean-up spot just shows his incompetence. And winning 8-4 is a complete disgrace. Mackanin clearly has no idea what he's doing. That 6-2 record of his makes me want to puke. Lets fire his ass and hire one of our message board geniuses, because they really get it when it comes to making out a line-up.

What more do you need?

nate
07-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah, what a friggin' disaster batting Phillips clean-up turned out to be. A mere 6 RBIs for the clean-up spot just shows his incompetence. And winning 8-4 is a complete disgrace. Mackanin clearly has no idea what he's doing. That 6-2 record of his makes me want to puke. Lets fire his ass and hire one of our message board geniuses, because they really get it when it comes to making out a line-up.

What more do you need?

Less snark.

nate
07-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Edwin Encarnacion...the sub-400-wonder.

Sub-400 what?

bearcatfan24
07-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Even if his lineups are wierd at the very least they are working and we know that he is trying to change this club for the better.

jimbo
07-14-2007, 11:02 AM

What more do you need?

Narron got blasted by Reds fans on a daily basis for all of his different and odd lineups. Why does Mackanin get a pass for doing the same?

Screwball
07-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Narron got blasted by Reds fans on a daily basis for all of his different and odd lineups. Why does Mackanin get a pass for doing the same?

The team is winning.

Personally, I think people make way too big a deal out of line-up construction no matter who the manager is, although I've been guilty of it myself (I'll never support Conine batting 4th). I think a bigger problem is the fact that Edwin is left on the bench for multiple games. EE is a solid player and is still young/developing. He should be out there every single day, only getting a day off for rest and not to make room for Freel or Castro or somebody else.

BuckU
07-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Freel 3b
Hopper cf
Griffey rf
Phillips 2b
Dunn lf
Hatteberg 1b
Gonzalez ss
Ross c
Harang p

There is a reason he is employed by a MLB team and you are not. Relax, that lineup seemed to do alright without EE in it...

Orenda
07-14-2007, 12:15 PM
There is a reason he is employed by a MLB team and you are not. Relax, that lineup seemed to do alright without EE in it...

Yes, there is...its a boys club. And I stink of cheetos.

jimbo
07-14-2007, 12:29 PM
The team is winning.

True, but we talking about a very small sample size and in my opinion the winning has little to do with who the manager is. The odds were that the team couldn't have gotten much worse and were bound to start some sort of winning streak.

All I'm saying is that when Narron played his musical chairs lineups, he got blasted for it and when the team won fans would say they won in spite of Narron's lineup. So far with Mackanin he is getting a free pass by many just because the team has won a few games for him. If Narron had put up a lineup with Freel and Hopper in the one and two hole, this forum would have went on full meltdown. It just seems hypocritical to me.

Screwball
07-14-2007, 12:33 PM
True, but we talking about a very small sample size and in my opinion the winning has little to do with who the manager is. The odds were that the team couldn't have gotten much worse and were bound to start some sort of winning streak.

All I'm saying is that when Narron played his musical chairs lineups, he got blasted for it and when the team won fans would say they won in spite of Narron's lineup. So far with Mackanin he is getting a free pass by many just because the team has won a few games for him. If Narron had put up a lineup with Freel and Hopper in the one and two hole, this forum would have went on full meltdown. It just seems hypocritical to me.

Oh you're definitely right, but I just think we should wait until the rotation and bullpen starts to blow some more games before we can complain out the line-up.:p:

AmarilloRed
07-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Until he starts playing Edwin, he deserves to have his lineups second-guessed.

G-nati
07-15-2007, 04:58 PM
For the life of me I don't understand what it is that has you guys so enamored with Encarnacion. IMO I don't think he is ever going to be a top 3rd baseman.

The guy just doesn't hustle and I'm not talking about his not running out a hit and getting benched incident. I'm talking about over all. When he gets up to the plate he looks tired or like he can't wait to get back to the bench or something. Yeah he had a few good games after he got called back up where he was looking motivated, but now he is back to the same old Edwin.

I wouldn't be afraid to bet that that is probably part of the reason he finds himself sitting a recently.

I don't have a problem with freel at 3rd and Hopper in center right now. At least they both look like they want to play when they are out there. Besides the Reds could use some speed at the top of the line-up to complement all the power they have...and oh yeah, Edwin isn't part of that power display either.

I'm not going to blast Mackanin for what he is doing. Look at the situation he walked in to. Hell their are probably guys out there who would turn down that job. After today's loss the Reds are 6 and 4 under him. I'm sure he isn't going to turn this team around because of the trouble spots they have and those (starting pitching and bullben) probably aren't going to be fixed enough to help this year.

But....There are some guys who want to play and maybe Mackanin has noticed that or been told that by coaches. I like the line-up of:

Freel
Hopper
Griffey
Phillips
Dunn
Hatteberg
Gonzalez
Ross

Just tell Freel and Hopper that you want them just getting on base how ever they can and running. Tell 'em that you believe they can do that and that their hustle will be contagious to the rest of the line-up.

Griffey will be Griffey...calm and low key, but he has proven through out his career that he can play like that. He is producing this year.

Phillips is another hustler. The best pleyer in the line-up right now.

Dunn will follow along with the crowd. If the team is hustling and producing he will also. If the team is just going through the motions he will also.

Hatteberg loves to play and is a tough steady (good) player.

Gonzalez, I have to admit has looked a lot like I have described Edwin a lot so far this year, but I give him the benefit of the doubt due to the family problem he is experiencing. I think we might see a better Gonzalez if everything was fine in his personal life. Even with that he is out playing Lopez.

Ross, Is in there for his defense and arm and his occasional power.

Of course when Hamilton comes back Hopper goes back to the bench. Hamilton is another one who loves to play and lets it show.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think Freel is a top 3rd baseman either, but he does hustle and plays hard all the time. Something Encarnacion just doesn't show.

nate
07-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Wow...

Just...wow...