PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Livingston will get Bailey's next 2 starts.

AmarilloRed
07-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I read on the ORG that Livingston will be called up and get Homer Bailey's next 2 starts. Homer Bailey had a bad start in AAA, but I am a bit surprised by this. So let's talk about Bobby Livingston and how long Bailey will be in AAA

Blue
07-15-2007, 04:16 PM
I think this is premature unless someone can provide a link.

C. Trent says that Livingston will be called up to take Gonzalez's place while he is on bereavement leave.

BearcatShane
07-15-2007, 04:56 PM
I know he's strugled at bit at times this year but I wanna see what Phil Dumatrait's got.

captainmorgan07
07-15-2007, 05:28 PM
i have no problem with it livingstons last start he made in the majors against the rockies was a dandy. Let homer continue to develop his other pitches other than the heater.

Chi-Town Red
07-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Livingston deserves another shot. I also would like to see what Phil Dumatrait can do. This season is over, so lets see what we have. I really dont care if Homer stays in AAA the rest of the year, but i think we will see him back in Sept if not sooner

REDblooded
07-15-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't want to see Dumatrait........I'd rather see him packaged with Dunn to get back something young and decent before other GM's figure out he stinks.

Vada Pinson Fan
07-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Livingston deserves another shot. I also would like to see what Phil Dumatrait can do. This season is over, so lets see what we have. I really dont care if Homer stays in AAA the rest of the year, but i think we will see him back in Sept if not sooner

I agree with you completely Chi-Town. After the anticipated trades of Dunn, Hatteberg, Lohse, possibly Edwin Encarnacion and David Weathers (I'd keep Weathers unless bowled over by a great offer) and Griffey. I don't want to see Junior go but his value will never be higher here and KGJ doesn't need/deserve to be on this team as it turns to a youth movement. It's time to bring up Joey Votto, Phil Dumatrait, (Homer Bailey again) as well as keep Bobby Livingston, Pedro Lopez and Jeff Keppinger up here for a thorough evaluation. With the expanded roster/Sept.call-ups - bring up Jay Bruce and Johnny Cueto.

If Krivsky listens to his scouts/advisors this time, the Reds could do a very nice restocking and retooling of the roster as well as addressing pressing needs beginning with the 2008 season starting ASAP and into the free agency period.

Let's hope Wayne Krivsky doesn't pull the trigger with any of these teams until "crunch-time".

One last point. I really hope the Reds don't include any cash in an Adam Dunn deal to offset his contract. Same with Griffey's contract. WK has already squandered enough of Castellini's money on extended contracts. The Reds obviously need every dollar available to land pitching and with the way our unpredictable offense goes: some hitting too.

Blue
07-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I hope the Reds won't have to rely on Bobby Livingston and Phil Dumatrait to start games for them after the trade deadline. That would mean that the Reds will be in an even deeper hole because they won't have done very well with their returns on the players they deal.

Chi-Town Red
07-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I hope the Reds won't have to rely on Bobby Livingston and Phil Dumatrait to start games for them after the trade deadline. That would mean that the Reds will be in an even deeper hole because they won't have done very well with their returns on the players they deal.Whatever the return is on any trade, it's highly doubtful it will be players that can step in and help right away.

nate
07-15-2007, 06:53 PM
If Krivsky listens to his scouts/advisors this time, the Reds could do a very nice restocking and retooling of the roster as well as addressing pressing needs beginning with the 2008 season starting ASAP and into the free agency period.

How do we know we didn't listen to them last time?

Chi-Town Red
07-15-2007, 07:04 PM
We all hold are breath to see the return on a WK trade is. Im not expecting much, so if it should turn out great, it will be a plus!

Cicero
07-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I don't want to see Dumatrait........I'd rather see him packaged with Dunn to get back something young and decent before other GM's figure out he stinks.

If your average layperson knows he stinks other GM's would know it too.

AmarilloRed
07-16-2007, 12:33 AM
I think this is premature unless someone can provide a link.

C. Trent says that Livingston will be called up to take Gonzalez's place while he is on bereavement leave.

I know Livingston will get the next start.I read that on Reds.com I read on the Old Red Guard that he will get Homer Bailey's next 2 starts.Read the thread on ORG yourself. After all, if you can't trust ORG, who can you trust?:confused:

AmarilloRed
07-16-2007, 12:38 AM
This is my view on it. Homer Bailey hurt himself with the Reds organization with his last start in AAA. There are rumors he threw a fit because he was sent down during his start, and this move is designed to send a message to Homer to straighten himself out. I believe Livingston is up to show he belongs in the Red rotation. I think Lohse will be traded by the deadline, and Livingston will show whether or not he is a AAAA starting pitcher, or actually is good enough to make the back end of the Reds rotation.

JLB5
07-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Livingston is listed as a projected starter for the FLA series on the Reds' website. Homer is scheduled to pitch tomorrow. I think if he is coming right back, he will make his next start in the home opener against MIL. Homer would get 1 extra day of rest and it would be a good break for the current rotation with no off days until July 30.

AmarilloRed
07-16-2007, 09:20 PM
A snap judgement about Livingston. He gives up too many hits, but he has a head on his shoulders. He had the bases loaded with no one out in the 5th, and struck out 2 and got the third to pop out, stranding all 3 runners.

Chi-Town Red
07-16-2007, 09:36 PM
at least he has us in the game...he deserves another start

improbus
07-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I think we may have found our lead off hitter. 4 for 4 is outstanding. Don't ever wash that jersey Bobby.

jmac
07-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I think we may have found our lead off hitter

How true , how true.

AmarilloRed
07-17-2007, 12:43 AM
I could see the Reds trading Lohse and sticking Livingston in his spot; he would have to give up less hits,but I could see it happening.

AmarilloRed
07-17-2007, 01:24 AM
I decided to start a thread about Bobby Livingston with the way he has performed. I know it's a small sample size(no reactions about small sample size), but here are his numbers. 2-0 in 3 starts, a 3.18 era(best among reds starters),25 hits in 17 innings. He has given up 1 hr in those 17 innings, and he has 4bbs and 5 strikeouts. So here is my summary: Bobby Livingston is a starter who will not overpower you. He doesn't give up many walks or strikeouts, does give up too many hits, but is good at getting out of jams(6ER in 3 games!). He will not go deep into games as he averages 5 2/3 innings, and he rarely surrenders hrs; which is pretty important in GABP. I think we should consider making him our 5th starter if he continues to average the numbers. I believe Lohse should be traded if Livingston can continue to be this consistant.

BearcatShane
07-17-2007, 01:46 AM
Our 5th starter for the rest of 2007? Yes. Our 5th starter for 2008? No. He's got guts but he is way to hittable to have any success for a prolonged period of time in my opinion. I think he could be a decent long man for someone but I don't wanna see him in our rotation in 2008.

TC81190
07-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Did I also read he went 4-4 tonight?

mroby85
07-17-2007, 03:07 AM
he's a young guy, and i think he's deserves a shot. in my opinion "stuff" can be overrated, and thats proven time and time again with guys like kyle lohse, or victor santos. give me a guy that knows how to pitch any day of the week. livingston kind of reminds me of kirk reuter that used to pitch for the giants, you always wondered why they weren't jacking the ball, but he always seemed to come up with quality starts.

TheOnlyRedsFan
07-17-2007, 06:46 AM
yea...he was 4 for 4 with an infield single, bunt single, and 2 other singles

JLB5
07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
He can locate and change speeds. He may not have top shelf "stuff" but neither did quite a few successful major league pitchers. I know he doesn't miss enough bats for some, but if you watched him last night you saw that he could reach into the tank for a little extra when he needed a K. He can pitch inside, which is something most pitchers today are afraid to do. I like this kid. I'd keep him around until he proves he doesn't belong. Combine his command and pitching smarts with Homer's stuff, you'd have an absolute ace. Keep Homer down until they trade Lohse.

jimbo
07-17-2007, 01:36 PM
I'd take a pitcher with marginal stuff but is tough and plays with guts, over a pitcher with great stuff but with no mental toughness any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I like the way Livingston approaches his job on the mound. He may not have the best "stuff" as many have mentioned (and I agree), but his mentality and approach could help him overcome what he lacks physically. I think he's earned the shot at a spot in the rotation for the rest of the season.

I said that Homer shouldn't have been called up all along because scouts, coaches, his manager, teammates, etc. all said he wasn't ready and from what we've seen so far, he isn't. Keep him in Louisville to work on his game and consider bringing him back up when the rosters expand.

tbball10
07-17-2007, 01:42 PM
as stated, i think he gies up too many hits. he did do a good job getting out of the jam in the 5th last night. but i was at the game last night, sitting behind the plate during francouer's at bat, and his third strike really almost hit him, and jeff went insane (he will probably be receiving a 3+ game suspension). however, if he can continue to be consistent, i think he is a good cheap option for the #5 spot next year.

Screwball
07-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I like Livingston's makeup and guts just like everybody else, but he's got some big warning flags sticking up. His K's are very low (2.65 K/9), and walks about the same amount (2.12 BB/9) for a K/BB ratio of just 1.25, and his WHIP is an obscene 1.71. What explains his 3.16 ERA is the fact that he doesn't give up the long ball (0.53/9), and has an unsustainble LOB% of 79%. We could very well see him get blown up on a Lohse-esque performance his next outing. Some may then question where his guts and knowledge of how to pitch went, when it's simply a matter of the numbers averaging themselves out.

I think he could be a serviceable #5 starter overall (it helps he's a lefty), but just don't be surprised if he gets lit up the next time he takes the mound.

durl
07-17-2007, 03:21 PM
I agree with all those who have been talking about Livingston's composure. While we've not seen a whole lot of him I'd like to see him stay up. It's great to see another pitcher on the mound that can fight back when he gets in a tight spot.

AmarilloRed
07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
I remember when Rick Mahler was a starter for the Reds and Braves. He always seemed to give up 10-15 hits in the game, but most of the time he would only give up 2-3 runs a game. Mahler also didn't have great stuff, but his mental fortitude and knowledge of pitching carried him through. If Livingston can remain consistant in stranding baserunners (a big if), he will have a future in the major leagues. I would like to see him go deeper in games and give up less hits, though.