PDA

View Full Version : Mack quote re: Keppinger

foltza
07-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Keppinger, 27, always has been viewed as an extra player on the big-league level, despite a .320 career average as a minor-leaguer and a .280 average over 186 big-league at-bats.

Mackanin was asked why that was the case.

"Unless you've got plus tools in a certain area - you're either a plus runner or have plus power or you're a solid .300 hitter - you've got to prove it on a daily basis," he said. "You get a short period of time to prove yourself. If you're not spectacular, you take a second seat to somebody else."

So where does Juan Castro fit in? His defense is really just OK, despite what George Grande thinks

Redsnake
07-18-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm never one to defend Juan Castro, but I will say I always viewed him as the best fielder on the team. Maybe not as much this years as years past. IMO.

ChatterRed
07-18-2007, 02:01 PM
I think you'll see Castro let go in the offseason and Keppinger will be the utility guy next season.

AmarilloRed
07-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Keppinger is cheaper, younger , and a better player so naturally the Reds will keep Castro

Slyder
07-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Castro retires and takes up a position with the minor league instructor/coach or Latin American scout :D.

tripleaaaron
07-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Castro retires and takes up a position with the minor league instructor/coach or Latin American scout :D.

Yes, that is precisely what will happen as I feel that was the entire reason he was brought in; to help teach their young middle-infielder's how to play defense consistently. So why not make him an instructor and not take up a roster space? There is a real possibility to him being a minor league instructor with our organization due to his past ties with both Cinci, and WK