PDA

View Full Version : Harang takes bereavement leave

Degenerate39
07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Reds RHP Harang takes bereavement leave

July 19, 2007
MIAMI (TICKER) -- The Cincinnati Reds on Thursday placed pitcher Aaron Harang on bereavement leave.

Harang is traveling to San Diego following the death of his grandfather.

The righthanded Harang has been the Reds' most reliable pitcher this season, going 10-2 with a 3.63 ERA in 21 starts.

Harang started Wednesday against the Atlanta Braves and did not get a decision after allowing two runs in 7 2/3 innings.

To fill the roster spot, the Reds purchased the contract of righthander Ricky Stone from Class AAA Louisville. Stone has made three appearances for the Reds this season, allowing three earned runs in 3 1/3 innings.

Sad news to hear about his grandfather. And more sad news about Ricky Stone

JLB5
07-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Salmon? Bray? Heck, I'd even give Majewski another shot... but Stone? :confused:

Krawhitham
07-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Sad news to hear about his grandfather. And more sad news about Ricky Stone

Stone?

so who goes down for AGon then?

jcmac3
07-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Im guessing that Harang won't miss a scheduled start? Not to sound like I dont care, If he misses a start due to a death I dont mind, nor will it affect our season.

Degenerate39
07-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Im guessing that Harang won't miss a scheduled start? Not to sound like I dont care, If he misses a start due to a death I dont mind, nor will it affect our season.

I don't think so because they would've called up Dumatrait or Bailey if he would've missed a start. That's my way of thinking though so who knows what the Front Office will do.

jcmac3
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I don't think so because they would've called up Dumatrait or Bailey if he would've missed a start. That's my way of thinking though so who knows what the Front Office will do.

Who knows is right, I can think of others besides Stone that should be up

BuckU
07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Who did Salmon p.o.?

Jr's Boy
07-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Stone?I thought he was givin his walking papers.

DeadRedinCT
07-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I guess Salmon doesn't have enough veteran savvy.

FreelFanatic
07-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Stone?I thought he was givin his walking papers.
He was, he cleared waivers and went to Louisville.

Which begs the question, why do the Reds continue to do this? First Moeller (twice), now Stone ... continue bringing up re-treads that none of the other 29 big league teams (not even K.C. or T.B.!) want. Why not bring in some fresh blood, give someone new a shot? Am I completely off-base here?!

JLB5
07-19-2007, 03:51 PM
He was, he cleared waivers and went to Louisville.

Which begs the question, why do the Reds continue to do this? First Moeller (twice), now Stone ... continue bringing up re-treads that none of the other 29 big league teams (not even K.C. or T.B.!) want. Why not bring in some fresh blood, give someone new a shot? Am I completely off-base here?!

I kinda got the impression that after Narron left, they were going into evaluation mode. Maybe they are being nice and giving Stone one last shot before they cut him for good. At least Lopez and Keppinger are getting a look. Things could be really different 2 weeks from now. I really don't see any difference in the way things are ran since Narron departed, just a little better attitude and better quips from the manager. He still has an ever revolving lineup and continues to run Stanton out there late in games. The bullpen has be just good enough to keep from blowing a couple of games which would have turned this "winning streak" on its ear.

StrikeIndicator
07-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Who would have thought that a pitcher who can clear waivers as easy as pie,
is

the best reliever that the Bats have

If I were Salmon, Bray or McBeth, I would be on the phone to my agent and looking for another team

what is the FO thinking?

Slyder
07-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Who would have thought that a pitcher who can clear waivers as easy as pie,
is

the best reliever that the Bats have

If I were Salmon, Bray or McBeth, I would be on the phone to my agent and looking for another team

what is the FO thinking?

Stone will clear waivers to go back to AAA when Gonzalez comes back. Also it will not burn an option on guys who could be longer term solutions. Leaving the Reds with 11 pitchers and then Keppinger/Lopez being the fall guy for Harang when he returns, unless FO decides the time is right to cut ties with a certain crafty LH vet.

jlb1705
07-19-2007, 06:56 PM
I couldn't help but chuckle a little bit when Jeff Piecoro said, "Sad news for the Reds today, Ricky Stone is back."

In all seriousness, it is sad news about the Harang family's loss.

TheOnlyRedsFan
07-19-2007, 10:35 PM
didnt they mention during the game that Harang knew about his gramps before the game yesterday and still went out and pitched a solid game

AmarilloRed
07-20-2007, 01:34 AM
I would have brought up a young reliever, but I am not running the Reds.