PDA

View Full Version : Gammons on ESPN regarding the Reds

Chi-Town Red
07-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Peter Gammons was asked on Mike and Mike this morning first on trades...
he said he has heard nothing in regards to BIG NAME trades...he Specifically mentioned both Dunn and Griffey . He doesn't think either will be traded before the deadline.
Also was asked about the rumor of Jocketty and LaRussa possibly coming to the Reds and said that yes it is possible. Seems Jocketty feels under appreciated, and would likely try to bring LaRussa along if hired.Also mentioned the past history of Cast ownership with the Cards.And that the REDS need to bring back the luster of a once proud franchise. This is really nothing new for all of us, but thought i would throw it out there for further discussion. Sounded like WK is very much on the hot seat, if not already on the way out.

redsfanfalcon
07-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Isn't Jocketty under contract for next year? How could we get him if they don't fire him?

ChatterRed
07-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Why would we want Larussa?

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-20-2007, 09:35 AM

Proven winner.

Reverend Doo-Rag
07-20-2007, 10:24 AM

So we can listen to Marty say every game: "LaRussa, managing like its the 7th game of the World Series, is going to make a double switch..."

jcmac3
07-20-2007, 10:27 AM
So we can listen to Marty say every game: "LaRussa, managing like its the 7th game of the World Series, is going to make a double switch..."

Didnt LaRussa make that comment himself this season? With the cards so far out he said he was going to treat each game like a game 7 from then on out.

tbball10
07-20-2007, 11:01 AM
i dont understand... do u guys not think larussa is a great manager??... because he is.

OSUredsFAN
07-20-2007, 11:08 AM
he might be a great manager, but i don't want him as manager of the Cincinnati Reds. period

foltza
07-20-2007, 11:15 AM
he might be a great manager, but i don't want him as manager of the Cincinnati Reds. period

why not?

i know the "proven winner" stuff is cliche and all, but seriously, look at his track record.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-20-2007, 11:23 AM
why not?

i know the "proven winner" stuff is cliche and all, but seriously, look at his track record.
It's sad to say but I honestly feel that some Reds might feel that a proven manager with credibility would all but take away the nightly joy of complaining about line-ups and game decisions.

foltza
07-20-2007, 11:29 AM
It's sad to say but I honestly feel that some Reds might feel that a proven manager with credibility would all but take away the nightly joy of complaining about line-ups and game decisions.

some Reds or some RedsZoners?

OSUredsFAN
07-20-2007, 11:49 AM
why not?

First off, didn't LaRussa make a childish comment about the Reds a few years ago when the team did the walkoff jump-around at home plate after beating his club, then i noticed that he has no problem allowing his team to do the same thing, that really bothers me.
Also didn't Larussa make some comment earlier this year about Harang should be suspended for throwing at his guy. Now how would that play out, if they were together. I think that was why Harang was left off the All Star roster this year. How else could you explain him not being in San Fran?? I would rather keep Harang happy than have Larussa as manager here.

that is why.

bounty37h
07-20-2007, 12:03 PM
^ Word!

mroby85
07-20-2007, 12:08 PM
im sure larussa's problem with harang would go away very quickly when harang was on his staff.

howyoufreelin
07-20-2007, 12:19 PM
im sure larussa's problem with harang would go away very quickly when harang was on his staff.

Bingo. Do I like Tony LaRussa? No, absolutely not. But I would take him as our manager without even thinking twice. I don't care whether I like him or not, as long as we win. And getting LaRussa would be a nice first step to getting this franchise back on the right track.

Jr's Boy
07-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Peter Gammons has always supported the Reds,unlike his espn cohort's.

durl
07-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Maybe Gammons supports the Reds because their name is similar to "Red Sox."

And I vote for NOT bringing Larussa in to manage the Reds. He's won but he's had a little more talent to work with than the Reds have had over the past 10 years.

Prf15
07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Do you mean the same Walt Jocketty that traded Dan Haren and Daric Barton for Mark Mulder? No thanks. Krivisky gets criticized a ton but he has done plenty good for this team. "The trade" from last year hasn't worked out for either teams yet. The Reds were the ones in my eyes who could benefit from that trade because Thompson has really pitched well this year and Bray pitched decent last year.

Only reason I would want Jocketty is if he can bring LaRussa and Duncan.

AmarilloRed
07-20-2007, 01:32 PM
I think the odds were greater with the team losing every night. It seems with the team winning, Castellini might be convinced to retain Krivsky. Why tamper with success?

big boy
07-20-2007, 01:40 PM
First off, didn't LaRussa make a childish comment about the Reds a few years ago when the team did the walkoff jump-around at home plate after beating his club

Wasn't that Dusty Baker? Maybe both.

Prf15
07-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Krivisky has made plenty of very good moves and very few bad deals.

Good deals:

- Getting Brandon Phillips from Cleveland for really nothing.
- David Ross from Dodgers.
- Arroyo from Boston for Wily Mo.
- Trading for Every Day Eddie, pitched well for us last year.
- Kyle Lohse for Zach Ward, this ones questionable but Lohse has pitched decent since then.
- Getting Josh Hamilton and Jared Burton in the Rule 5. Burton has showed he has nasty stuff.

Bad Deals:

- Rheal Cormier period
- Acquiring Kirk Saarloos for David Shafer.

The Washington trade is turning out to be a good deal for the Reds because Kearns would be on our bench right now, well when Hamilton was healthy. Gonzalez has been decent, alot better than Felipe this year or really any year besides that one good year.

Remember D'Angelo Jimenez, he was able to get 2 good years out of him. Felipe has had one good year and that was 05 when he went to All Star game.

Majewski and Bray looked like they would be able to be major parts of our bullpen but both have had injuries. Royce Clayton was just junk thrown in. Harris has showed he is able to be, been playing well for Tampa while Iwamora was out. Thompson has good stuff and hopefully he will be on the major league team someday.

KGJR30
07-20-2007, 02:02 PM
It really shocks me how some people are so against having Tony LaRussa come in here. Some of you may be content with the fact that we haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years, I am not. I'm not a big fan of LaRussa on a personal level, but one can not argue that he is not a good manager. His track record is very proven, and if it takes getting him here to get us to the playoffs, then I'll welcome him with open arms. I'd love to have nothing but likeable guys on our roster and coaching staff, unfortunately they aren't always the most talented. This has to be my biggest complaint of the Reds fanbase. We would be a bad team for a long time if we didn't hire someone based on our personal feelings against him, and some of you seem to be fine with that. It truly makes me sick.

TC81190
07-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Krivisky has made plenty of very good moves and very few bad deals.

Good deals:

- Getting Brandon Phillips from Cleveland for really nothing.
- David Ross from Dodgers.
- Arroyo from Boston for Wily Mo.
- Trading for Every Day Eddie, pitched well for us last year.
- Kyle Lohse for Zach Ward, this ones questionable but Lohse has pitched decent since then.
- Getting Josh Hamilton and Jared Burton in the Rule 5. Burton has showed he has nasty stuff.

Bad Deals:

- Rheal Cormier period
- Acquiring Kirk Saarloos for David Shafer.

The Washington trade is turning out to be a good deal for the Reds because Kearns would be on our bench right now, well when Hamilton was healthy. Gonzalez has been decent, alot better than Felipe this year or really any year besides that one good year.

Remember D'Angelo Jimenez, he was able to get 2 good years out of him. Felipe has had one good year and that was 05 when he went to All Star game.

Majewski and Bray looked like they would be able to be major parts of our bullpen but both have had injuries. Royce Clayton was just junk thrown in. Harris has showed he is able to be, been playing well for Tampa while Iwamora was out. Thompson has good stuff and hopefully he will be on the major league team someday.

D'Angelo Jiminez was gone almost a full year before Krivsky showed up.

durl
07-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Larussa has done well, no doubt. Personally, I'm not convinced he'll make the Reds a World Series contender.

While with the A's, Larussa had players like Canseco, McGuire, Dave Henderson, Jason Giambi, Ricky Henderson, and Dave Parker at the plate plus pitchers like Bob Welch and Dave Stewart. And he had the best closer of the time in Eckersley.

While in Oakland, they led the AL in ERA (1988, 1989, 1990), Shutouts (1989, 1990), Fewest HR allowed (1990), Saves (1988, 1989). They won the division each year from 1988-1990 behind their strong pitching.

After losing to the Reds in the 1990 World Series, Larussa's A's finished the division 4th in 1991 and 1st in 1992 (with the 2nd highest payroll in the AL), then he wrapped up his time in Oakland with 3 losing seasons.

Larussa has done well in St. Louis but he's also had the highest payroll in the division almost every single year. Even when the Cubs outspent the Cards, they still were way ahead of the 3rd top spender.

Larussa seems to win when he's got a big payroll. Can he do the same in Cincinnati?

keeganbrick
07-20-2007, 03:27 PM
First off, didn't LaRussa make a childish comment about the Reds a few years ago when the team did the walkoff jump-around at home plate after beating his club, then i noticed that he has no problem allowing his team to do the same thing, that really bothers me.
Also didn't Larussa make some comment earlier this year about Harang should be suspended for throwing at his guy. Now how would that play out, if they were together. I think that was why Harang was left off the All Star roster this year. How else could you explain him not being in San Fran?? I would rather keep Harang happy than have Larussa as manager here.

that is why.
Every starting pitcher on that roster deserved to be there more than Aaron Harang this year, sorry.

KGJR30
07-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Larussa has done well, no doubt. Personally, I'm not convinced he'll make the Reds a World Series contender.

While with the A's, Larussa had players like Canseco, McGuire, Dave Henderson, Jason Giambi, Ricky Henderson, and Dave Parker at the plate plus pitchers like Bob Welch and Dave Stewart. And he had the best closer of the time in Eckersley.

While in Oakland, they led the AL in ERA (1988, 1989, 1990), Shutouts (1989, 1990), Fewest HR allowed (1990), Saves (1988, 1989). They won the division each year from 1988-1990 behind their strong pitching.

After losing to the Reds in the 1990 World Series, Larussa's A's finished the division 4th in 1991 and 1st in 1992 (with the 2nd highest payroll in the AL), then he wrapped up his time in Oakland with 3 losing seasons.

Larussa has done well in St. Louis but he's also had the highest payroll in the division almost every single year. Even when the Cubs outspent the Cards, they still were way ahead of the 3rd top spender.

Larussa seems to win when he's got a big payroll. Can he do the same in Cincinnati?

While I agree that he has always had some marquee players when he was winning, I think that he would put the pressure to win on the front office. He doesn't strike me as the kind to come around if he thinks we will not win.

foltza
07-20-2007, 03:44 PM
to anyone wanting to know more about larussa, i recommend reading 3 Nights in August, it's written by the same guy that wrote Friday Night Lights. some good baseball stuff concerning larussa's managerial styles. also a good read in general.

Cardinal70
07-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Three Nights in August is an excellent read, especially if you want to see how TLR goes about his business nowadays.

First off, from the Cardinal perspective, I don't see either of them (TLR or Walt) heading to Cincy in the offseason. As someone pointed out, Jocketty is still under contract in St. Louis and, while there have been some tensions in the front office with differing viewpoints, they aren't going to fire him. If he asked out of the contract, I think they'd allow it only because they respect him and don't want him to be unhappy, but I also don't think that'll happen.

As for LaRussa, I'm leaning toward him possibly not returning to St. Louis next year, but I don't think he'll jump at the Cincinnati job. For one thing, a large part of his success is the tight relationship he's had with his GM. If Walt's not coming, he'll be lacking that. Also, the man's 62 years old and has managed every season for the last 20+ years. I think, personally, he may just be getting worn down and need to take a breather.

Besides, the Cincy job and the St. Louis job may be similar next year--more of an uphill climb than a strong contender. Why he'd swap one for the other isn't clear to me.

ChatterRed
07-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Larussa hates Cincinnati because we kicked his Oakland arse in 1990 in embarrassing fashion.

Chi-Town Red
07-20-2007, 06:50 PM
nothing was mentioned about Dave Duncan from this morning..i also heard a rumor(not from ESPN) that LaRussa wants to become a GM...hey, just throwin it out there

lo ryder
07-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Give me a competent GM and Jack McKeon and I'll take my chances.

Chi-Town Red
07-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Give me a competent GM and Jack McKeon and I'll take my chances.
yep..would love to have Jack back:thumbup: