PDA

View Full Version : ESPN to cut-in for Bonds at bats

robmadden1
07-21-2007, 01:45 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvjWY.jH9ivBSEc9h35S7LKpu7YF?slug=ap-bonds-espn&prov=ap&type=lgns

ESPN will do live cut-ins for all Barry Bonds at bats until he hits 756, except for games on FOX or TBS.

FOX will carry Saturday's game with the Brewers. TBS will carry games July 24, 25, and 26 with the Braves at the Giants. ESPN has also picked up Monday's Braves/Giants game on July 23rd.

mroby85
07-21-2007, 02:20 AM
sweet, i can't wait to see it! it may be awhile with the way he's been hitting on my fantasy team though lol.

Krawhitham
07-21-2007, 03:23 AM
lets hope he goes on the DL, or gets indicted, maybe suspended, or hit by a bus before 756

REDblooded
07-21-2007, 06:35 AM
i still don't understand why any pitcher would throw to him........
if i was on the mound, i would throw all 4 balls at his face.

I can't see any pitcher who's been 100% clean wanting Barry to break that record, so any pitcher seen grooving fastballs to Barry should be tested immediately.

Chi-Town Red
07-21-2007, 08:12 AM
must see TV:bang:

BurgervilleBuck
07-21-2007, 10:52 AM
must see TV:bang:

Actually, it's You Will See TV. Which is why I rarely watch the four-letter word network.

Degenerate39
07-21-2007, 11:31 AM
I hope he breaks the record against the Braves :thumbup:

mroby85
07-21-2007, 06:21 PM
you guys are just media puppets!

Goten
07-21-2007, 08:11 PM
i still don't understand why any pitcher would throw to him........
if i was on the mound, i would throw all 4 balls at his face.

I can't see any pitcher who's been 100% clean wanting Barry to break that record, so any pitcher seen grooving fastballs to Barry should be tested immediately.

Probably because the pitchers cheated themselves. It's kind of hard to bash one cheater, when you've been injecting yourself.

mroby85
07-21-2007, 10:05 PM
there were so many people that were on steroids it's not even funny, but everyone wants to single out bonds just because he's a great player. not to mention the media tries to make him look like a bad guy constantly just because he doesn't put up with all their crap during interviews.

improbus
07-23-2007, 07:27 PM
there were so many people that were on steroids it's not even funny, but everyone wants to single out bonds just because he's a great player. not to mention the media tries to make him look like a bad guy constantly just because he doesn't put up with all their crap during interviews.

You're right. They don't kill Giambi in the same way.

But, what has always bothered me about the steroid talk is that it only talks about the numbers. What always bothered me was the effect it could have in wins and losses. Think about this: Everyone has their panties in a twist over 756, but nobody cares that Barry carried the Giants to the World Series the year after. Isn't that WAY worse. In the end, the home run record will fall again, but what about the Braves and Cardinals who both lost to the Giants in the playoffs that year. That is, unless we are going to accuse players on the other teams, which we have absolutely no proof of.

mroby85
07-24-2007, 01:06 AM
You're right. They don't kill Giambi in the same way.

But, what has always bothered me about the steroid talk is that it only talks about the numbers. What always bothered me was the effect it could have in wins and losses. Think about this: Everyone has their panties in a twist over 756, but nobody cares that Barry carried the Giants to the World Series the year after. Isn't that WAY worse. In the end, the home run record will fall again, but what about the Braves and Cardinals who both lost to the Giants in the playoffs that year. That is, unless we are going to accuse players on the other teams, which we have absolutely no proof of.

that is an excellent point, i never really looked at it from that point of view.

durl
07-24-2007, 09:11 AM
First, I believe Bond's reputation was already diminished before the steroid scandal so he already wasn't a fan favorite to break Aaron's record.

The reason I believe people are getting "their panties in a twist over 756" is because it's arguable the most prestigious record in all of sports. World Series' come and go and we have a hard time remembering who won 12 years ago. The home run record has only 2 names attached to it in the history of the game. This record is a BIG deal to baseball fans and they don't want to see it owned by someone who they believe artificially enhanced his performance to take break the record.

improbus
07-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Okay, let me ask you a question, and this goes out to everyone posting on this board. What would you remember more, Junior hitting 756 or the Reds winning the World Series? Which is more important to Reds fans? I think I'm almost afraid to hear some of the answers...

BEETTLEBUG
07-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Both

jmac
07-24-2007, 11:07 AM
First, I believe Bond's reputation was already diminished before the steroid scandal so he already wasn't a fan favorite to break Aaron's record.
Exactly.
Bonds is a hard guy to pull for unless he plays for your team. As far as steroids and the record, my own opinion is if Bonds had 587 hrs now and Big Mac was still playing and setting on 750+ hrs, we would be having same talk but on Mcgwuire.
It is the record being broken by someone with "help" that I think gets most people.

durl
07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Okay, let me ask you a question, and this goes out to everyone posting on this board. What would you remember more, Junior hitting 756 or the Reds winning the World Series? Which is more important to Reds fans? I think I'm almost afraid to hear some of the answers...

In the big world of baseball I don't think we can equate winning a World Series and breaking the biggest record in the game. Reds fans may rather win the World Series but fans of all the other teams would view the Home Run record as something FAR more important and meaningful.

improbus
07-24-2007, 11:59 AM
In the big world of baseball I don't think we can equate winning a World Series and breaking the biggest record in the game. Reds fans may rather win the World Series but fans of all the other teams would view the Home Run record as something FAR more important and meaningful.

I guess this is my point. I could care less about numbers. They are nice, they are easy to identify, and they are accessible. But, winning is everything in sports, and its harder for us fans to quantify and discuss numbers than it is to talk about winning. We can argue about Dunn's OPS+, the bullpen's ERA, etc... In the end, I would sacrifice every Reds record for a title. I'm happy that Junior is pushing to 600 HR's, but if I thought the Reds could improve by trading him, I would be more than happy to send postcards to his next destination. Numbers happen, records fall, eras and playing styles change, but the World Series never changes. Nearly every record has some sort of quirk to it. Baseball changed the game and the ball itself when Ruth came, because chicks dig the long ball. Maris hit 61 in an expanded schedule. Bonds, McGwire, & Sosa hit dingers in the steroids era. I even remember a Trivial Pursuit question that asked the following question (I'm paraphrasing) "According to other Major League players, what helped Pete Rose get his 4,256 hits? Answer: Cork." In the end, numbers never seem to be exactly what they look like, but wins do.