PDA

View Full Version : wheres the thread about griffey's hustle tonight

redsupport
07-21-2007, 10:48 PM
if that was EE or some other player, the fans would be castigating him severely

improbus
07-21-2007, 11:08 PM
EE hasn't torn his hamstring off the bone.
EE isn't a hall of famer.
EE hasn't even solidified his lineup spot.
All Reds fans cringe when Junior goes all out. Too many bad memories.
Junior should be chasing Hank and Bonds...

Screwball
07-21-2007, 11:14 PM

You're not seriously excusing Griffey for blatantly loafing it (even lightly jogging at 2 different times on the same play) on the basepaths are you?

James B.
07-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Griffey is my favorite player but there is no excuse for his lack of hustle tonight. Just because he has been hurt does not give him the right to jog around the bases.

mound_patrol
07-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Is he currently hurt? If you are playing scared get off the field.

Vada Pinson Fan
07-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Face it. Griffey can run. But the times he chooses not to do so is adding up.
How many times (and be honest with yourself {addressed to no one here in particular, just whomever reads this} has Griffey had anear home run, had it hit off the wall and be held to a single b/c Jr. didn't hustle right from the start? The answer- too many.

I would love to have the 1999 version of Greg Vaughn on this team and have KGJ not hustle like he should. Vaughn wouldn't tolerate that stuff for a second. KGJ admires/watches every potential HR of his before starting to run. Then Griff gives that little hop/skip and in very little hurry, he heads toward first.

Junior has 5 or so stolen bases this year w/o being caught. His legs are good enough to run out every ground ball or fly ball but he doesn't.

I appreciate what the man has done for himself, this city and for baseball but all of us can point out a guy that isn't giving 100% to his team/teammates. Just watch Junior and be objective. Tonight was a prime example.

Getting himself thrown out at 2nd base tonight was from a lack of hustle right after he hit the pop fly. The replay showed it all. Instant replays don't lie. I'm glad we have Griffey on the Reds but I'm still able to identify a player that "doggs it" occasionally. KGJ should lead by example, and if that's going to be his way of a continued lack of hustle... well then, perhaps it's time to go.

I think he's disinterested overall. Just my opinion.

mound_patrol
07-21-2007, 11:48 PM
How many times (and be honest with yourself {addressed to no one here in particular, just whomever reads this} has Griffey had anear home run, had it hit off the wall and be held to a single b/c Jr. didn't hustle right from the start? The answer- too many.

I would love to have the 1999 version of Greg Vaughn on this team and have KGJ not hustle like he should. Vaughn wouldn't tolerate that stuff for a second. KGJ admires/watches every potential HR of his before starting to run. Then Griff gives that little hop/skip and in very little hurry, he heads toward first.

Junior has 5 or so stolen bases this year w/o being caught. His legs are good enough to run out every ground ball or fly ball but he doesn't.

I appreciate what the man has done for himself, this city and for baseball but all of us can point out a guy that isn't giving 100% to his team/teammates. Just watch Junior and be objective. Tonight was a prime example.

Getting himself thrown out at 2nd base tonight was from a lack of hustle right after he hit the pop fly. The replay showed it all. Instant replays don't lie. I'm glad we have Griffey on the Reds but I'm still able to identify a player that "doggs it" occasionally. KGJ should lead by example, and if that's going to be his way of a continued lack of hustle... well then, perhaps it's time to go.

great points, great post.

eichstadtreds
07-22-2007, 12:08 AM

He does have a tendency to loaf sometimes. Good point on him being disinterested, thats the dog days of summer while u r on a terrible team. Griffey is a great player but he should be benched for not hustling just like every other player should. They make millions of dollars to play a game and should hustle all the time. Not quite as crazy as Freel but hustle not the less. I love Griffey but he is just another example of a ego driven superstar who managers cater too and dont make them put in the same work. Same old same old

mroby85
07-22-2007, 12:32 AM

i'm with you. i don't think that griffey should loaf like he was tonight, but i don't want to see him completely busting it either. the same people wanting him to hustle will be complaining when he's injured from diving for a ball and dislocating his shoulder.

ChatterRed
07-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Waaa!

Get over it already.

Krawhitham
07-22-2007, 03:54 AM
You're not seriously excusing Griffey for blatantly loafing it (even lightly jogging at 2 different times on the same play) on the basepaths are you?

He did not like getting benched so he could rest, if he runs that out maybe the manger will think he needs more rest

Screwball
07-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Waaa!

Get over it already.

Yeah, definitely. I love watching my players walk around the bases. Hopefully next time, Jr. will just be like me and my buddies on Thursday nights and stop for a beer before making the turn to second. And if anybody says anything to him, he can just use the logically sound argument of, "Waaa! Get over it already." I like it.

[/sarcasm]

Chi-Town Red
07-22-2007, 10:10 AM
I think he still plays it cautious when running. The guy still hasn't played a full season since 2000. He and the rest of us still hold our breath when he sprints full out. How could you not?

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-22-2007, 06:15 PM
If you can't run 90 feet, time to hang it up.

If you can but choose not to... well thats something different.

Personally, I think the loafing, whether justified or not, sets a bad example to the young guys.

The Reds aren't good enough to have the luxury of loafing it. Well, thats what I would have said 20 years ago when baseball was still baseball. When I see Hall of Famers like KGJ loaf around the bases, admiring each fly ball to its conclusion, home run or not, I know that the "hustle" we all want to see will forever be few and far between, no matter what team we're watching.

mound_patrol
07-22-2007, 08:01 PM
What did Marty have to say about it?

larryboy
07-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I do not endorse the lack of hustle but at this point in his career how excited can he be. At what point do highly competitive players just get worn down from years of playing meaningless baseball in Aug and Sept.?
That's not right and everyone should be professional etc... but it is human.
He should be called out on it but it is pebble on the beach of problems for this organization.

I do agree he was loafing and he clearly two different gears. The three games in Seattle this year he was in a different gear that he has not been in here for a few years. It was cool to see that perma smile back and him hustling.

Get guys excited about their situation and watch the increase in performance. You see it often when managers change, teams get hot, trades, etc...
Players should be all out all the time but messages are best sent top down in any organization. What's the message the generals have been sending to the soldiers been the past few years?

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I do not endorse the lack of hustle but at this point in his career how excited can he be. At what point do highly competitive players just get worn down from years of playing meaningless baseball in Aug and Sept.?

He was dogging it the same way in March. Hence the early season hypocricy by Narron, sending EE down to minors, just as KGJ hits another "opposite field! off the wall! ...single."

Vada Pinson Fan
07-24-2007, 12:13 AM
What did Marty have to say about it?

Thanks m_p for the "great points, great post" concerning my post about Junior's lack of hustle. Obviously, most in this forum agree with us. I want veterans on this team to "lead the way" and "lead by example". Is that too much for anyone to ask Griffey, Dunn, EE. Enough said, from me anyway, on KGJ's lack of hustle, concerning this particular instance.

I replied b/c of you asking "What did Marty have to say...?"
I wasn't listening to the game on radio. I was watching on tv. I would also like to know what Marty said about the Griffey pop fly. Anyone hear what Marty said? Please let us know.

Thanks.:thumbup:

Jerry/ Vada Pinson Fan