PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to see traded?

Degenerate39
07-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I got this idea from the ORG and I have a feeling where most of the votes are going to go :rolleyes:. But anywho explain your reasons for your voting.

Chi-Town Red
07-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Loshe, Conine, Stanton...do i really need to explain?

captainmorgan07
07-22-2007, 07:05 PM
for me Dunn is first on the list. Yes i will hate to see him go with all the numbers he puts up but the return he could get us could put us over the top in the next 2-3 years. Second would prolly be loshe, then conine,weathers,stanton, and if we have to hatteberg.

Degenerate39
07-22-2007, 07:07 PM
I voted Lohse, Stanton, Weathers, Hatte, and Conine.

A few teams are looking for bullpen help enter Stanton and Weathers. Teams like the Yankees who are all about winning now should give up a decent prospect or two for Stanton and or Weathers.

Some teams are looking for veteran know how so Hatte and Conine are the best choices for this. Again either of them could get a prospect or two that's a few years away from the majors.

Lohse has good stuff but he's so inconsistant this will hurt his trade value. I'm sure they he could still get a above average prospect but I wouldn't expect a big return.

Chi-Town Red
07-22-2007, 07:11 PM
for me Dunn is first on the list. Yes i will hate to see him go with all the numbers he puts up but the return he could get us could put us over the top in the next 2-3 years. Second would prolly be loshe, then conine,weathers,stanton, and if we have to hatteberg. put us over the top if we trade Dunn?...top of what? the second worse team in MLB...sorry dont agree with that

Blue
07-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Griffey was one of the guys I picked. I'm a big Griffey fan, but I would like to see him contend for a World Series before he retires. He'd be the biggest bat on the market and his contract is already restructured so that he recieves $6.5 million next season and during the option year, a reasonable price for 2 1/2 years of a HOF slugger.

I'd love to see him go back to the Mariners, and C Jeff Clement is one of the guys I'd like to have in return. The M's match up really well with the Reds. They've got guys like Clement and RHP Brandon Morrow who they can't properly use, and need help on both sides of the ball.

reds44
07-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Griffey
Loshe
Conine
Hatteberg
Weathers
Stanton
Freel
Gonzalez
Ross

Chris Sabowned
07-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Here's my list in order:

1) Dunn - hes a blackhole in the middle of our lineup, sell him while some gm's still think he's an asset

2) Stanton - has post season experience, maybe someone will still think this means something. If we get anything in return for him its a plus.

3/4/5) Conine/Gonzalez/Lohse - I kinda like him but he really doesn't fit in our plans anywhere long term, and maybe we can get something back for him.

Krawhitham
07-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Adam Dunn - If you can get anything for him, then use the 13 million for mid relief
Kyle Lohse - FA at years end get something for him
Jeff Conine - FA at years end get something for him
Scott Hatteberg - FA at years end get something for him
David Weathers - Value will never be higher
Mike Stanton - anything you can get
Ryan Freel - he has one tool, and it is slipping away
Alex Gonzales - overrated hack

Blue
07-23-2007, 12:08 AM
It would be foolish to trade Dunn for anything less than we'd get as compensation if he walks next year.

ChatterRed
07-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Unless we get something substantial for Dunn, trading him is stupid.

AmarilloRed
07-23-2007, 12:39 AM
I voted Lohse, Conine, and Encarcion. Here are my reasons: 1. Lohse has played himself out of Cincinnati. I am ready for Livingston or Dumatrait take his spot. 2.I believe we could get a good Single-A player from Minnesota for Conine; we only need one reserve first baseman 3. I believe Keppinger would be better at third than Edwin.

mroby85
07-23-2007, 01:03 AM
why isn't harang on the list? lol jk jk

Degenerate39
07-23-2007, 01:07 AM
why isn't harang on the list? lol jk jk

I thought that would be a no brainer that the Reds keep him :)

AtomicDumpling
07-23-2007, 02:52 AM
The players under consideration that have enough current value for us to get anything worthwhile in return are Griffey, Dunn, Arroyo, Encarnacion, Hatteberg and Weathers in that order.

I would keep Griffey, Dunn, Arroyo and Encarnacion. I would trade anyone else if we could get a decent return. No fire sales again please.

Trading anybody else would just be a way to get rid of them. You don't get better by ditching players unless you have a better option ready to replace them. Obviously we don't or we would have made the switches already.

Hamilton, Harang, and Phillips have value too, but nobody is talking about trading them.

My prediction is that Krivsky will find takers for Hatteberg and Weathers this week. The rest will stay.

StrikeIndicator
07-23-2007, 09:33 AM
I voted for Ross, he has been awful with the young guys from AAA..
He is for some strange reason oppossed to having them pitch inside.
First he did not know them very well and I thought that it was that he did not trust their ability to make those pitches. Then I start concentrating on watching what he called when the PenPals came into the game.

If a runner is on first (and when hasn't someone come in from the pen with runners on base?) not only won't he call inside pitches to the next guy(s), he sets up on the outside to give himself an edge throwing the runner out at second.

Ironically that is the stat that many quote as the reason for keeping him.

If they actually watched him catch a few games they would see that,
yes, he does throw out about 50% of those trying to steal 2nd, but while doing so he is responsible for a lot of hitters getting well off of pitches on the outside corner. In addition, McBeth has trouble hitting that spot and had 3 or four "wild pitches" scored against him when he first came up.

Some will say, "they should shake him off when he calls that pitch"
Easier said that done. The rookies have said in private that early on, they did not feel comfortable with that and were told, "throw what he calls, he is our #1 catcher". With Jerry's style of pulling a rookie after one walk and sending him back to the minors, they were stuck.

As a result, you saw some of them throw what Ross called, battle with hitters, and giving up more hits and RBI's than walks.

Yes, Chad's numbers are not very good either, but at least he mixes it up and keeps the hitters from sitting back drooling and waiting on that outside pitch.

durl
07-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Hatteburg - Great guy to have but has a higher trade value. Votto and Conine can handle first.

Lohse - If he gets consistent he'd be a very good pitcher but Livingston looks more ready for the big-time.

JLB5
07-23-2007, 09:44 AM
From Lonnie Wheeler's blog:

Tradability and the Reds

Assuming the Brewers don’t fold next week and the Reds remain in the trading mode, the question becomes, who?
It depends, of course, on the return available. In theory, everybody’s tradable for the right return. But who, on the Reds, is likely to fetch the best ratio of benefit vs. expense?

We’ll review the usual suspects, their tradability summed up in a yes or no.

Adam Dunn: Yes. It’s easy to waffle on this guy. As soon as you’ve grown weary of the lack of contact, especially with runners in scoring position, he suddenly gets it and goes on a mini-tear. You think he’s turned it around. Then it’s back to the same old. He remains a tantalizing and uniquely productive talent, but the fact is, it hasn’t worked for the Reds. Actually, it’s a legitimate question as to whether he’s worth a $13 million contract extension, or whether those dollars could be put to better use. Given that argument, you could conclude that any good player acquired for Dunn would come under the category of profit. Now, a lot of people fear that, without Dunn, the Reds would lack for punch. But consider this. Dunn is second in the league right now with 26 home runs. The Reds are tied for the league lead with Milwaukee in that category. Replace Dunn’s 26 homers with, say, a dozen or so from an ordinary left fielder . . . and now the Reds are second in the league. That’s not so bad.

Ken Griffey Jr.: Yes. And that’s with all respect to Junior, whose wonderful year is a joy to witness. But Griffey himself would probably prosper with a move away from his hometown. If we could be assured that he would remain healthy for several more seasons, this would be a different kind of decision. But Griffey’s big year has, for the moment, placed him at a premium which the Reds would be well-advised to barter.

Bronson Arroyo: No. His slump is over. The guy’s a durable and competent starting pitcher, and those are hard to come by. Those are the players you build around. If some team is willing to pay an ace’s price for him, that’s a different matter. But it isn’t likely.

Kyle Lohse: Yes. He'll be a free agent after the season. His agent is Scott Boras. He's inconsistent. His stuff is so good that teams remain intrigued. Most of the contenders want starting pitching. They can't find it. This is the easiest call of all.

Scott Hatteberg: Yes. He’d be sorely missed, and should not be dealt lightly. But with his age, and Joey Votto’s, it just adds up.

David Weathers: No. He’s just too indispensable. If his replacement was at the ready, sure. If a team wants to overpay, OK. But all things being equal, not now.

Brandon Phillips: No. Heavens no. Some have said to go ahead, deal the guy when his value is at its highest. If you think that Phillips will only regress from here, fine. But I see no reason to think that. And I see no reason to think that you could possibly do better than a young, fast, inexpensive second baseman who plays the heck out of his position and produces out of the cleanup spot.

Edwin Encarnacion: No. He’ll get better. He’s more than a one-dimensional player. He’s a long-term solution at third base.

Ryan Freel: Yes. Like everybody else, I love the guy. Love his fire. But his speed is often offset by his judgment and inability to get on base. Meanwhile, his defense has improved to the point that he can be an asset at several of the positions he plays; but that only underscores his value as a part-timer. If you can get full-time value in his stead, that would be the way to go. If Freel is traded, Josh Hamilton can play center field and Jeff Keppinger can do the super-sub thing.

All that said, I don’t believe the Reds would be in terrible shape if they made no moves at all. The bullpen can only get better as it grows up. It’s already happening.

Pretty good summary of where things stand.

larryboy
07-23-2007, 10:21 AM
conine, weathers, stanton I believe will get dumpedfor some prospects

Dunn will be a hard trade because of the value embedded in picks if he walks has to be the minimum for any offer and teams typically pay bigger offers for a player they can lock up, a big offer has to come from a team that will lock him up long term and one he wants to sign with long term

Griffey - just an opinion but I think he gets sent to Seattle in a last minute deal (30th or 31st) for a solid package of prospects not named Jones and Seattle takes the contract and adds a third guy (Clement Balentin etc...)

thorn
07-23-2007, 12:55 PM
IMO, Harang, Arroyo, Gonzo and Phillips are the ones I would not trade on the list, the others, trade them all, tear it up. I don't care how we win, as long as we win, and the current team is not winning nor have they won in the past, blow it up Wayne. You can even trade Gonzo, Phillips and Arroyo for the right package, although I would hate to loose Phillips.

eastkyred
07-23-2007, 03:29 PM
just out of curiosity, who didn't vote for Stanton? I noticed that Lohse had 7 more votes. that means at least 7 people voted in this pole that thought we should keep Stanton?

eastkyred
07-23-2007, 03:32 PM
I just noticed the percentages. That's even more troubling. almost 28% think we should not trade Stanton. Maybe you guys are thinking that he is untradeable, which is probably true. I would eat the majority of his contract for next year if someone would pick up a little bit of it and take him off our hands.

griffeyfreak4
07-23-2007, 06:03 PM
^^ lol so true

gedred69
07-23-2007, 07:00 PM
trading Dunn will bring disappointment in Redsland, as he is not all that highly thought of. As Torre said, "a flawed slugger who strikes out too much, and is a defensive liability". EE is Danny Driessen deja vu, what do you get for that? Teams can use Conine's experienced bat, as well as Hatteberg's, Weathers could help somebody over the hump, but don't expect a whole lot in return. Freel---if they don't grind him down, could have value to someone with more than 1 hole to fill, this year or for next, plus he's under contract for what amounts to his prime,and could thus possibly bring some good return value. Other than the guys you don't trade, Harang, Hamilton, Phillips, Homer, Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Francisco, (and a few other Minors guys), what do you have? What can you realistically expect in return?

shredda2000
07-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Kyle Lohse - get rid of him and replace him with someone...anyone.
Jeff Conine - trade him for relief pitching
Scott Hatteberg - relief pitching or maybe some bench help
Mike Stanton - trade for anything