PDA

View Full Version : Bowden Making a Serious Run at Dunn

reds44
07-23-2007, 01:03 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7050210

It's no secret that Nationals general manager Jim Bowden covets Reds left fielder Adam Dunn — and no surprise that the Nats are pursuing Dunn, according to major-league sources.

Whether the Nationals can obtain Dunn is another question.
One, they will face competition from other clubs in the trade market as the non-waiver deadline draws closer.

Two, they might not be willing to meet the Reds' price, assuming the Reds even like their prospects.

And three, they would be risking a mere rental of Dunn, who will become a free agent at the end of the season if he is traded.

While a trade does not appear close, the Reds have scouted the Nationals' most talented minor-league club, Class A Potomac.

Bowden, who was the Reds' GM when the team drafted Dunn in 1998, probably thinks that if he can get Dunn to D.C., he can talk him into signing long-term.

Dunn, 28, would be the centerpiece of the Nationals' rebuilding program as they move into their new ballpark next season — and heaven knows that the Nats, last in the majors with 59 home runs, need the power.

Then again, after spending his entire career playing for losing teams in Cincinnati, Dunn might prefer to join an established contender.

In the worst-case scenario, if Bowden failed to sign Dunn long-term, the Nats would receive two high draft picks when he departed as a free agent.

It is not clear which other contenders are interested in Dunn. The Twins and Angels are among those looking for offense, and the Yankees and Red Sox always monitor the availability of big-name talent. The Padres, who have had past interest in Dunn, are more focused on improving their bench and adding depth to their rotation.

mroby85
07-23-2007, 01:04 AM
no way would i deal with jim bowden. it's like trying to make a deal with the devil.

Degenerate39
07-23-2007, 01:06 AM
no way would i deal with jim bowden. it's like trying to make a deal with the devil.

Yeah, he'll give the Reds some more dead arms and one arm that could be decent.

AmarilloRed
07-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Krivsky shouldn't deal with Bowden again for all the talent in the world. He dealt falsely with Wayne once, he would do so again.

uoduck1017
07-23-2007, 01:51 AM
The only thing that would make me happy with this trade would be Adam playing with Austin again. Other than that, Wayne, stay away from the Nats...far away.

BearcatShane
07-23-2007, 01:51 AM
If the return is good do it. Bowden would overpay for Dunn.

BearcatShane
07-23-2007, 01:53 AM
I think this might have Chad Cordero written all over it.

AtomicDumpling
07-23-2007, 02:27 AM
Bowden is swooping in for another highway robbery of his old team. Hopefully Krivsky learned enough from his humiliation at the hands of Leatherpants to avoid dealing with him again.

I seriously doubt the Nationals would be willing to pay Dunn $15+ million per year from their small budget.

I don't think the Nationals have any good prospects close to the majors to trade us. The Reds should not settle for any high-risk lottery tickets from the low minors. The only thing we should trade Dunn for is a stud starting pitcher prospect that will be ready to pitch in the Majors next year. We already learned our lesson about trading for relief pitchers (guys are relievers because they are not good enough to be starters). There is no such thing as a "stud relief prospect." Either you are a stud or you are a reliever -- not both.

Give Dunn the going rate salary to make sure our offense remains good. Then go to work on improving the pitching. We can't afford to ruin the one thing we do well (score runs) in order to throw money at free agent pitchers, which is always a crapshoot.

keeganbrick
07-23-2007, 02:28 AM
Ship EE with Dunn and send Zimmerman/Marrero over, if Zimm can adjust to right handed pitching he will be top 3 3rd baseman in MLB for years to come.

BearcatShane
07-23-2007, 02:34 AM
I don't see Krivsky being ripped off again. If he makes a bad trade with Dunn there's a good chance he'll be fired, he has to know that. The guy I would like included in this deal is Jesus Colome, I wouldn't want him being a main piece though becuase he is on the DL.

Moosie52
07-23-2007, 07:52 AM
The word serious should not be used in the same sentence with the word Bowden.

George Anderson
07-23-2007, 09:34 AM
"Fool me once shame on you.....fool me twice shame on me"

Mitri
07-23-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm sure Bowden has some unreasonable man-love for Adam Dunn. I'd dangle Dunn just to see if he'd overpay for a "new face of the franchise" player if i were Krivsky.

BucSappy
07-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Someone explain how we were ripped off in the Austin Kearns deal?

It was a trade in which both teams gave up mediocre players. No one got a single good player in that deal, if anything I'd say the Reds did get the better end though.

reds44
07-23-2007, 11:24 AM

It was a trade in which both teams gave up mediocre players. No one got a single good player in that deal, if anything I'd say the Reds did get the better end though.
Just because Kearns and Lopez are stinking up the joint, doesn't replace the production they had with us.

Jefferson24
07-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Just because Kearns and Lopez are stinking up the joint, doesn't replace the production they had with us.

Gonzo and Hamilton have replaced that production though and we wouldn't have either of them if "The Trade" hadn't been made.

Bottom line we are better off having made the trade, even if those benefits are an indirect result.

Degenerate39
07-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Gonzo and Hamilton have replaced that production though and we wouldn't have either of them if "The Trade" hadn't been made.

Bottom line we are better off having made the trade, even if those benefits are an indirect result.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time no one knew the Reds were getting Hamilton and Gonzo.

mroby85
07-23-2007, 11:37 AM

couldn't you say the same thing about majewski for washington?

foltza
07-23-2007, 11:51 AM
we got ripped off in the trade because majewski was damaged goods. Krivsky ended up filing a grievance with MLB.

bounty37h
07-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Any word out of the grievance? I dont ask expecting anything, but keep reading we should hear something soon, whatever that may be....I jsut wonder if the MLB Front Office would find it funny we file a grievance for a "dirty" trade, then turn around and trade with the same team involved before it was resolved.

BLEEDS
07-23-2007, 01:06 PM
I think this might have Chad Cordero written all over it.

DING DING DING!!! We have a Winner.

I WOULD trade Dunn for Cordero. Then, we get Jacque Jones from Chicago, for Jeff Conine (another rumor out there), and we're set...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
07-23-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't know.........it might be a good chance to get back at Jim Bowden and rip him off.

BLEEDS
07-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't know.........it might be a good chance to get back at Jim Bowden and rip him off.

Dunn for Cordero and a prospect, might be considered just that.

Cordero is arbitration-eligible, so keeping him long-term might be a problem. If we can get a TOP PROSPECT as well, then I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

REDblooded
07-23-2007, 01:26 PM
gimme cordero and Marrero. nice doing business with you again leatherpants.

Chris Sabowned
07-23-2007, 01:27 PM

Sure Kearns and Lopez haven't had great seasons, but the Nats got two everyday players. What did we get? One guy who can't make it out of the minors and another with an ERA close to double digits.

ChatterRed
07-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I'd get Cordero and then trade Stormy. Although it might be nice having two decent closers.

Actually, get Cordero, unload all the fringe players like Hatteberg, Conine, Freel, etc........get what you can for them, bring up Votto and whoever else we want to take a look at...........and evaluate the rest of the season. We will cut short in power, but we might be better in the pen.

Time to strengthen the bullpen and find out what our farm system can bring us. Then in the offseason, fill the remaining needs.

Krawhitham
07-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Kearns, Lopez, & Cordero for Dunn & A Gon?

maniem
07-23-2007, 01:49 PM
If Dunn is traded to the Nats (I'd rather not trade him at all), I'd ask for Cordero and Kearns. I'm sure most Reds fans would not want to see Kearns back, but he'd fill a need the Reds have been searching for (RH bat with pop). His value is at all time low right now, and if he comes back to Cincinnati, I have a feeling he'd return to his '06 numbers (.820 OPS) while providing solid defense in right. He's still young and is signed to an affordable contract. Shift Junior to left, and an outfield of Junior, Hamilton, and Kearns wouldn't be bad at all. Not to mention Cordero fills the closer role this team has been lacking the last 4-5 years.

HokieRed
07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
How about Dunn for Zimmerman straight up, with Edwin going to Minnesota, along with Conine, for pitching, either bullpen or starting. Then Arroyo to the Braves for Saltalamacchia, with Lohse too if that's what it takes. Money saved from Dunn, Milton, Arroyo buys us two pitchers in the offseason. Lineup one year from today:
Hamilton, CF
Phillips, 2B
Bruce, RF
Griffey, LF
Zimmerman, 3B
Saltalamacchia, C
Votto, 1B
Gonzalez, SS

Prf15
07-23-2007, 02:04 PM
How about Dunn for Zimmerman straight up, with Edwin going to Minnesota, along with Conine, for pitching, either bullpen or starting. Then Arroyo to the Braves for Saltalamacchia, with Lohse too if that's what it takes. Money saved from Dunn, Milton, Arroyo buys us two pitchers in the offseason. Lineup one year from today:
Hamilton, CF
Phillips, 2B
Bruce, RF
Griffey, LF
Zimmerman, 3B
Saltalamacchia, C
Votto, 1B
Gonzalez, SS

I like that lineup alot. Wonder if we could get Zimmerman for Dunn? If that happens then we can deal Encarnacion and Conine to Minnesota for Garza. Then Arroyo and Drew Stubbs for Salty. That would be a dream come true.

REDblooded
07-23-2007, 02:06 PM
gimme cordero and Marrero. nice doing business with you again leatherpants.

uoduck1017
07-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Sorry but Encarnacion and Conine for Garza just wouldn't happen. Edwin is struggling and Jeff will retire at the end of the year. Minnesotat wouldn't trade one of their top SP prospects for that, although I would love to see Garza pitching for the Reds.

ChatterRed
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
If the Reds came away with Cordero from the Nationals and Garza from Minnesota, I would be ecstatic beyond belief and praise WK for that deal.

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-23-2007, 03:00 PM
I'd get Cordero and then trade Stormy. Although it might be nice having two decent closers.

Why not move Tackleberry back to setup role and begone the evil 8th inning... :beerme:

mound_patrol
07-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Dunn, Edwin, and lohse for Zimmerman and Cordero. Then we resign Dunn in the offseason for a lineup of

Hamilton
Philips
Dunn
Zimmerman
Jr
Votto
gonzalez
Ross
Pitcher

I know it wont happen, but I can dream

ChatterRed
07-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Dunn, Edwin, and lohse for Zimmerman and Cordero. Then we resign Dunn in the offseason for a lineup of

Hamilton
Philips
Dunn
Zimmerman
Jr
Votto
gonzalez
Ross
Pitcher

I know it wont happen, but I can dream

:D:thumbup::beerme:

That would be the ultimate revenge on Bowden. That's hilarious.

Trade Dunn, get a starting 3B and a competent closer. Let Dunn ride out the season and behind the scenes tell him you plan on signing him in free agency for $75 million over 5 years, reminding him that the team will be much better next season because we have a closer and new third basemen.

Absolutely deviously hilarious. I would love to see that.

ChatterRed
07-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I was actually going to say, Dunn, EE, Lohse, and Hatteberg for Cordero, Zimmerman and Dmitri Young (1B). Hamilton's handlers could also babysit Dmitri.

BLEEDS
07-23-2007, 03:29 PM
I was actually going to say, Dunn, EE, Lohse, and Hatteberg for Cordero, Zimmerman and Dmitri Young (1B). Hamilton's handlers could also babysit Dmitri.

Might as well get $10M in cash as well, while you're dreaming.... ;)

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
On the ORG, they're discussing trading Homer Bailey straight up for the Nat's Zimmerman. So far, most of them would do it in a heartbeat. Would you?

T7-niner
07-24-2007, 05:39 PM
On the ORG, they're discussing trading Homer Bailey straight up for the Nat's Zimmerman. So far, most of them would do it in a heartbeat. Would you?

In a heartbeat.

BLEEDS
07-24-2007, 05:42 PM
I saw that, I think they are out of their minds.

Trading a #1 SP (Prospect) for a 3B-man? I don't care if his name is Alex Rodriguez, we can't afford that luxury...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

TC81190
07-24-2007, 07:23 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Degenerate39
07-24-2007, 07:49 PM

:barf:

Chi-Town Red
07-24-2007, 08:10 PM
ummm let me think...NO! :thumbdown