PDA

View Full Version : Notes: Krivsky May Be Up To Something

reds44
07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070722&content_id=2102276&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

MIAMI -- It's going to be an interesting week for the Reds, and wins and losses in the upcoming series vs. the Brewers and Cubs have little to do with why.
After Sunday, there will be eight days until the July 31 non-waivers trade deadline. It's the kind of time that is capable of driving a player to distraction, if he lets it.

"It can be [distracting] for everybody because everybody is anxious to see what's going to happen," interim manager Pete Mackanin said. "Myself, I'm anxious to see what we're going to do, if anything. The players who read their names constantly, they wonder what's going to happen.

"You know what? You have to block it all out and just play the game. When you're playing for a lot of money, you have to give yourself every chance to compete and block all that other stuff out. There's no getting around it."

This summer, left fielder Adam Dunn's name has floated in the trade winds the most and the longest among the Reds. Publicly at least, Dunn has maintained the same position he had in June when he was first asked about being part of trade rumors.

"Saying I don't care probably aren't the right words to use, but I don't," Dunn said Sunday. "If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. There's nothing I can do about it."

Dunn has a $13.5 million club option for 2008 that voids if he's dealt and would make him a free agent. It's viewed as a road block for potential deals. However, he didn't want to lay down odds on whether he'd still be a Red after July 31.

"I couldn't even tell you," he said. "I don't know anything, nobody tells me anything. I hear all the ones that are made up."

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky's policy is to not discuss trade strategy, potential trades or trade rumors.

"He asked me a few questions and I know he's in the process of working on many things," Mackanin said. "Whether they come to fruition or not, I really don't have much to do with that. I have some input, but it's minimal."

If the Reds sell off players like Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr., Kyle Lohse, David Weathers, Scott Hatteberg or others, it could make Mackanin's job of winning more difficult -- especially for someone who is in the mix for the permanent manager's job.

"I swear to God, seriously, I've convinced myself not to worry about that kind of stuff. I just want to win today," Mackanin said. "I'm not actually trying to get myself a job. It's not what my thought process. I just assume things are going to happen that are best in life for me -- one way or the other. I can't dwell on that kind of stuff. I choose not to dwell on it."

BLEEDS
07-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Oh, I'm convinced SOMETHING is going to happen.

IF I had to BET on it - I'd say Hatteberg and Conine are the most likely to go. With Votto in the wings, it's the ONLY SURE THING for 2008 for impacting the roster.

Votto will be the starting 1B-men for the Reds Major League team.

After that, anything is possible.

Kyle Lohse - PLEASE trade his arbitration-eligible Jeckyl/Hyde hide.

Weathers - I'd PREFER he be on our roster next year. $2.5M for him is a bargain IMO.

Griffey/Dunn - IF they aren't here next year, we're going to have a HUGE upgrade to some area of our team. I think K is NOT going to let them go for just prospects. Something HUGE would have to be thrown his way for him to pull the trigger(s) on any deal with those two.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
07-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Dunn to the Nats for Cordero. Try and pry another prospect from them, and maybe offer negotiating the grievance for more player compensation to smooth things out with leatherpants.

Keep Weathers to pair with Cordero and add some needed strength to the bullpen.

Trade Conine and Hatt, bring up Votto.
Trade Freel if you can.

uoduck1017
07-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Dunn to the Nats for Cordero. Try and pry another prospect from them, and maybe offer negotiating the grievance for more player compensation to smooth things out with leatherpants.

Trade Freel if you can.

After these trades, our offense would be brutal. Bullpen help is obviously necessary, but at what cost to our offense?

Prf15
07-23-2007, 01:46 PM
I really hope they keep Dunn unless they get a offer that makes Krivisky's eyes open really big. Our offense would suck worse than it does now without Dunn. I know we have Bruce in the minors but I doubt he will be ready by next years opening day.

BLEEDS
07-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by ChatterRed

Trade Freel if you can.

After these trades, our offense would be brutal. Bullpen help is obviously necessary, but at what cost to our offense?

Cordero is someone I'd be willing to give up Dunn for. You can't ask for a more solid Reliever in return for a trade.

It'd free up the money necessary to go get an Eric Byrnes. He is Officially becoming MY preferred and endorsed "Must-Have" FA LF-er....

PEACE

-BLEEDS

uoduck1017
07-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Cordero is someone I'd be willing to give up Dunn for. You can't ask for a more solid Reliever in return for a trade.

It'd free up the money necessary to go get an Eric Byrnes. He is Officially becoming MY preferred and endorsed "Must-Have" FA LF-er....

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Oh, now I understand why you are talking about Byrnes. Anyways, Byrnes usually fades in the second half of the season and he could never come close to Adam Dunn's production. I see Byrnes as a more polished Ryan Freel.

BLEEDS
07-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Oh, now I understand why you are talking about Byrnes. Anyways, Byrnes usually fades in the second half of the season and he could never come close to Adam Dunn's production. I see Byrnes as a more polished Ryan Freel.

I understand that, but the "fans" here want to spend $10M for LESS Productive LF-er.

His D can't be any worse, and he is on-pace to steal 30 bags as well.

He's established himself as an .800+ OPS guy, and in GABP that would only increase. He's a 25+ HR guy in GABP - Ryan Freel can't DREAM of that.

+Byrnes-Dunn+Votto-Hatte-Conine = you might get close on OVERALL Power Production. AND, for about the same price. Maybe.

Byrnes is probably going to get $11M in FA. Obviously Votto-Hatte/Conine saves us about $3M and change. That's enough to pay for Cordero's 2008 salary. Extending him might be a challenge - but apparently so is extending Dunn.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
07-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Trade for Cordero, then sign him long term like they did with Arroyo/Harang. Keep Weathers and atleast we have 2 pitchers in the pen that can pitch.

Votto / Byrnes could end up matching Dunn's/Hatteberg's production. Note that I said, "could". The most important thing is that it free's up dollars for some much needed help in other areas.

uoduck1017
07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
I understand that, but the "fans" here want to spend $10M for LESS Productive LF-er.

His D can't be any worse, and he is on-pace to steal 30 bags as well.

He's established himself as an .800+ OPS guy, and in GABP that would only increase. He's a 25+ HR guy in GABP - Ryan Freel can't DREAM of that.

+Byrnes-Dunn+Votto-Hatte-Conine = you might get close on OVERALL Power Production. AND, for about the same price. Maybe.

Byrnes is probably going to get $11M in FA. Obviously Votto-Hatte/Conine saves us about $3M and change. That's enough to pay for Cordero's 2008 salary. Extending him might be a challenge - but apparently so is extending Dunn.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I could see where Eric Byrnes would do well in GABP. However, I would rather have him play CF so Hamilton can play a corner OF spot.

JLB5
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM

Yep, Byrnes' 2nd half numbers are not so nice. Also, he is having a career year so far this season. I'm not a fan of paying for one huge year when chances are he will regress toward his mean. Not too mention that he's a few years older than Dunn.

I would much rather them find a young guy who projects to have a OPB in the .360+ range with wheels and a good glove.

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-23-2007, 02:57 PM
"Myself, I'm anxious to see what we're going to do, if anything." -The new soft shoe

Thats what I say to myself at the start of every Reds season. What a co-ink-e-dink! :)