PDA

View Full Version : What an effort by Harang tonite.

captainmorgan07
07-23-2007, 09:28 PM
That was what an ace pitcher is right there. 10k's at one time had retired 17 in a row. If he doesn't get one vote this year for cy young there is a serious conspiracy this man is a legit candidate.

bleedsred
07-23-2007, 09:35 PM
I can admit I never thought much of the midseason move when Cincy picked him up.....was Harang the only piece in that package for Guillen?

Prf15
07-23-2007, 09:38 PM
acquired from the Athletics RHP Aaron Harang, RHP Joe Valentine and RHP Jeff Bruksch in exchange for OF Jose Guillen

uoduck1017
07-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Harang is a bulldog. There is absolutely no doubt he is our best pitcher and staff ace.

UC_Ken
07-23-2007, 09:47 PM
I think Harang has ended the debate about whether or not he's a #1. There are not many pitchers I'd rather build a staff around.

ChatterRed
07-23-2007, 10:21 PM
It's a shame he didn't get the win for that effort tonight. But great win in the 12th for the team.

He got it!
07-23-2007, 10:40 PM
A.Harrang will be an all- star next year. Mark it down.

(psst.. he should have been one this year..)

kaldaniels
07-23-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't follow the AL, so this just speaks for the NL.

Based on production the past year and a half...Harang deserves to be paid more than any pitcher in the NL. Granted, he doesn't have as high a ceiling as others, but he has produced more than anyone.

Fil3232
07-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Watching Aaron pitch tonight was a joy, an absolute clinic in pitching.

I just wanted to point out that the Reds have won 9 out of Harang's last 10 starts, and are 17-5 on the year in Harang's 22 starts.

REDS:

With Harang: 17-5
W/O Harang: 25-53

His season this year is amazing, but considering how much this team relies on him, that puts Harang in an even more elite position. The man should be seriously considered in the Cy Young race.

BlastFurnace
07-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Pretty stupid to send him out for 10 innings. Don't kill his arm Reds!

kaldaniels
07-23-2007, 11:47 PM

Relax. You have to look at his total pitches (121). He'll get up there a few times a year, but 121 on one night is nothing to whine about. (He threw 135 in a game last year). Nothing can stop the Great Harang!!! :thumbup:

BlastFurnace
07-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Relax. You have to look at his total pitches (121). He'll get up there a few times a year, but 121 on one night is nothing to whine about. (He threw 135 in a game last year). Nothing can stop the Great Harang!!! :thumbup:

I just want him to keep being the great Harang. I live in Texas and saw what High School coaches did to Kerry Wood's arm. He was damaged goods when the Cubs drafted him because he was overworked.

I know one start won't kill Harang, but don't risk it for a season that won't amount to anything. He was probably left in because our bullpen stinks so bad.

jimbo
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM

I agree with you 100%. The comment I had made in the other thread was meant to be sarcastic because Narron used to get hammered quite a bit for keeping starters in too long.

I think starters today are pampered way too much with these pitch counts. A starter averaging 100-120 pitches a game should not be an issue. If a pitcher gets injured and his pitch count is being blamed, then they have bigger problems and probably won't last long.

My opinion is based on an older veteran pitcher though, I still think pitch counts are valuable when utilized with young pitchers still developing. I would never advocate a manager using young pitchers in the manner that Dusty Baker did in Chicago.

Vada Pinson Fan
07-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Anyone hear what Chris Welsh said about Aaron's performance during the post game show with Jeff Piecorro? Welsh said something like- he wants to make illegal dvd copies of the game tonight and have each Reds pitcher watch it ten times. Of course Chris is a good guy and his point was "tongue-n-cheek" about the illegal copies but the rest of his message would be a great point!!! Especially to sit down the Reds anemic relief corp (and certain other starters as well) and watch Harang's stellar performance over and over and...!

You've heard of "requisite reading"? Well....... :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:harang:

kaldaniels
07-24-2007, 12:32 AM

Again...before putting out your "pretty stupid" remark...look at the numbers. First, 121 is not a dangerous level for a pitch count. If you are throwing that much each time out, sure, you've got a problem.

However, Harang is averaging 104 pitches per start.

Compare to
Oswalt 104
Webb 102
Sabathia 104
Zambrano 110 (gasp, I guess Sweet Lou is a horrible manager)
Peavy 106

And those are just some "horses"-type pitchers I can think of. So, don't let this one game freak you out. Apparently its too late for that, but I reiterate...relax.

And second and unrelated to anything mentioned earlier...notice how Harang hasn't been oft-injured (knocking on wood). I truly believe that it is related to the relative lack of exertion he makes when he makes a pitch. In other words, he doesn't over-exert himself, which leads to less injury and higher pitch counts being ok. (This is just an observation of mine).

Please come to the table with some numbers or anything relavent before proclaiming the best start of the year for the Reds as being "pretty stupid".

AmarilloRed
07-24-2007, 12:33 AM
I believe Krivsky made a genius move when he signed Harang to an extension.

AccordinglyReds
07-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Another great performance by Harang. Unbelievable. I was so glad he went out for the 10th, and wasn't yanked during it. :)

I just wish he could have gotten the win.

Caveman Techie
07-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Yes Harang is definately one of those "easy gas" throwers. He can throw a 94MPH fastball while making it look effortlessly. So a 120+ pitch count for him is not too bad.

ChatterRed
07-24-2007, 08:01 AM
I think Mackanin wanted to give him a chance to get the "W" after that great effort, hoping the offense would pull it out soon enough so Aaron would get what he deserved.

Reds Freak
07-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Harang is by far the most consistent performer on this team. Even when he is off, he will give you 7 IP of 3 or 4 R baseball. Fil3232, that won-loss record with Harang on the mound and when he's not on the mound is absolutely amazing. Is there more than 5 other guys in the NL that you would rather have on the mound on a given night than Aaron Harang?

durl
07-24-2007, 09:00 AM
It's sad that the national media acts like Harang doesn't exist. I know part of that is because he plays for a sub-par team, but the other part is that sports journalists can't tear themselves away from the East and West coast teams to look at what Harang has accomplished the past 2 years.

Harang should have been an All-Star this year (I'm guessing Larussa had something to do with him NOT making the team?) and should have been at or near the top in Cy Young voting last season.

jmac
07-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I believe Krivsky made a genius move when he signed Harang to an extension.
Yes.
Great guy at a good price.

ThatPitchIsDunn
07-24-2007, 02:47 PM
You have to take into account the type of pitch count as well. Harang struck out ten last night, so that's at least thirty strikes right there. When you lead the league in strikeouts, you're going to throw more pitches. Only Maddux is Maddux-like; hardly anyone else puts up the 65 pitches in 7 innings line. On top of all this, I tend to think the pitch count is a lot more relevant when they're "must-have" pitches. Harang was ahead in the count on nearly every hitter and only had to pitch out of a jam in the 9th. Other than that, he was cruising. I'm not supporting 121 pitches every outing, but I didn't have a problem with this one.