PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Lohse to Mariners

BearcatShane
07-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Gregg Doyel threw this out on his show, he said he recieved an anonymous email that said Lohse would be traded to the M's for a couple of minor leaguers. The email said it would be announced by 7:00PM tonight. It's probably false but I thought I'd post it.

BEETTLEBUG
07-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Hope it is true I'm going tomorrow night and don't want to see Lohse.

BearcatShane
07-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Brad Thomas is one of the rumored minor leaguers:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brad%20Thomas&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=346801

BEETTLEBUG
07-24-2007, 10:23 AM
OK by me. He is a pitcher was other a pitcher or not named

bigredbunter
07-24-2007, 10:26 AM
He's 30 years old and in AAA with underwhelming numbers--Looks like the wrong kind of individual to be targeted by the reds.

BearcatShane
07-24-2007, 10:27 AM
There was another player Doyel mentioned but I forgot his name. I think he was in AA.

jmac
07-24-2007, 10:50 AM
He's 30 years old and in AAA with underwhelming numbers--Looks like the wrong kind of individual to be targeted by the reds.
Thing is,like has been stated before, these are the type of players we are gonna get for the Loshe's ,Conine's etc of this team. Maybe a little younger but that is about it.
A firesale as some call it would not get us the players we need (except opening spots for some one like Votto) unless you look at trading Harang. That to me is defeating the purpose.

REDblooded
07-24-2007, 11:19 AM
still don't understand why the Reds haven't tried Lohse in the pen............

George Anderson
07-24-2007, 11:21 AM

Great minds think alike!!

rotnoid
07-24-2007, 11:22 AM

The same reason the Twins let him go. He has no interest in pitching from the pen. When the Twins put him there, he gave minimal effort and was shelled.

ChatterRed
07-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Good to see you guys think like me.

REDblooded
07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
so you don't use a guy in a spot because he doesn't want to be there? seems a good way to let a guy play himself out of the league.

redsfanfalcon
07-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Great minds think alike!!

He is great at getting the count to 0-2, or 1-2, but can't make that good pitch. That's why he is an average pitcher.

REDblooded
07-24-2007, 11:48 AM
i think quite simply that he loses focus. that's why you'd think he'd make a good bullpen pitcher.

IrishDavidKY
07-24-2007, 11:49 AM
It doesn't matter if it's Lohse, Dunn or even Conine, I'm sure most Red's fans won't be happy with what we get in return.

Reds Freak
07-24-2007, 11:54 AM
I think I'm going to send an anonymous email to this guy saying that the Reds are trading Chad Moeller and Pedro Lopez to the Padres for Jake Peavy and Scott Linebrink and see if it sticks...

AmarilloRed
07-24-2007, 11:56 AM
I think at this point the Reds might take a bag of baseballs for Kyle Loshe. He has been that inconsistant.

rotnoid
07-24-2007, 12:09 PM
so you don't use a guy in a spot because he doesn't want to be there? seems a good way to let a guy play himself out of the league.

The guy clearly has problems with the mental aspect of the game based on his inconsistency. Why put him in a more (for him) stressful situation. I'm not arguing that he doesn't have the arm to be a back of the pen presence, but closing especially is as much mental as it is physical. If a guy doesn't want to be in a certain situation, he's not going to perform well.

HokieRed
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
What kind of compensation would we get if Lohse signs elsewhere as a free agent? I'd rather take my chances with that than get Brad Thomas, whose BA against is .303.

bigredbunter
07-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Thing is,like has been stated before, these are the type of players we are gonna get for the Loshe's ,Conine's etc of this team. Maybe a little younger but that is about it.
A firesale as some call it would not get us the players we need (except opening spots for some one like Votto) unless you look at trading Harang. That to me is defeating the purpose.

the Reds sent Zach Ward to the Twins for Lohse when Lohse's value was (arguably) lower than it is now. I would think that something like a Ward would be a good comp in terms of return ---(an A ball player with good numbers who doesn't project to be a top arm). At least someone like a Zach Ward could always surprise you--With a middle-aged career minor leaguer, you're pretty much guaranteed a performance ceiling that is pretty low.

steig
07-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I'd rather have the draft picks at the end of the year when lohse leaves.

mound_patrol
07-24-2007, 12:30 PM
What kind of compensation would we get if Lohse signs elsewhere as a free agent? I'd rather take my chances with that than get Brad Thomas, whose BA against is .303.

As of right now Lohse wouldn't net us any draft picks. He would have to move up a ton to get into the range to net a draft pick.

bigredbunter
07-24-2007, 12:35 PM
I'd rather have the draft picks at the end of the year when lohse leaves.

I don't believe it is that simple. Lohse won't be considered as an A type free agent---He may fall under the B catagory, but most likely--the C catagory (if he qualifies at all).

If he's a C type free agent (after he declines arb. from the Reds--a big if-) I think that the Reds only end up with a sandwich pick between the 2nd & 3rd rounds---

Someone please correct me if I have mis-stated this.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-24-2007, 01:22 PM
How about trying Dunn, Lohse,and Freel for Adam Jones and Kameron Mickolio.
Jones would start right away in center and Mickolio has moved quickly through the m's system, at 6'9" and 256 he throws 92-95 with an improving change up and has a hard slider for an out pitch. Just a thought but a trade like this could free up salary and improve the team at the same time. I am not a GM so I don't know if this is a deal that Wayne would even take a stab at, but if it were me I would give it a go.

larryboy
07-24-2007, 01:37 PM
M's have not expressed interest in Dunn or Freel and Jones is untouchable.
Mickolio is a nice arm to add to the system, good kid, was a find in the 19th or so round but has rocketed through their system. Other prospects in their system that might be good adds Triufant (middle IF), Clement and Johnson (catchers), Balentin (OF power bat), Morrow (SP), Baek (SP). Balentin (spelling?) Clement and Morrow are especially attractive but now we are talking about Griffey type trade. The Reds do not have the pitchers to get them to move these guys. The Pirates might if they move Snell.

edogg07
07-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Brad Thomas is a former twin too oh boy!

texasdave
07-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't believe it is that simple. Lohse won't be considered as an A type free agent---He may fall under the B catagory, but most likely--the C catagory (if he qualifies at all).

If he's a C type free agent (after he declines arb. from the Reds--a big if-) I think that the Reds only end up with a sandwich pick between the 2nd & 3rd rounds---

Someone please correct me if I have mis-stated this.

I don't believe there is a type C free agent any longer.

Muggerd
07-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Id be interested in resigning Lohse but im just crazy. Id hate to see the Mental case go on to another team and turn into the stud hes supposed to be.

Brian
07-24-2007, 04:11 PM
If all goes well, or rather anything goes well, Lohse won't be on the team next year. As noted, he's not going to net you a ton in return on his own. I'd like to see him packaged with another player...or two...to get a decent prospect in return. The tough thing is that even with his inconsistency, his record should be much closer to .500, if not for our beloved pen.

ED44
07-24-2007, 04:14 PM
If all goes well, or rather anything goes well, Lohse won't be on the team next year. As noted, he's not going to net you a ton in return on his own. I'd like to see him packaged with another player...or two...to get a decent prospect in return. The tough thing is that even with his inconsistency, his record should be much closer to .500, if not for our beloved pen.

I'm with you on this one. Lohse, Freel and prospect to the Phillies for Michael Bourn...especially if Dunn is on his way out? I am not sure if the Phillies are looking to trade him (or if he is untouchable), but I like his speed.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-24-2007, 04:41 PM

This is a huge factor for lohse IMO. You take a guy with great stuff but a head problem like Lohse, a bad bullpen spells trouble. If your a starter and you don't believe in your bullpen it can wear on even the most confident of pitchers in this league( see Arroyo, Bronson ). Lohse went from a fresh start great opportunity to wow I have to pitch a complete game to get a win around here type of attitude. This teams problem is so obvious it's not even funny and if the bullpen is not fixed we will be sub par for a long time. It's sad to play against other teams that want to get to the bullpen at the end of games, when we pray for a lights out 9 inning performance( 10 innings last night) just to have a shot to stay in it. Bring in some big time bullpen arms and watch how this staff performs, then lets decide who's worth keeping around out of the starters.

Chi-Town Red
07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
wouldnt we take just about anything for Loshe at this point?

mound_patrol
07-24-2007, 06:09 PM
wouldnt we take just about anything for Loshe at this point?

Sure we'll take just about anything, but we're trying to get the best anything from someone. Not just going to take the first offer.

jmac
07-24-2007, 06:44 PM
For a team to be viewing Loshe as help just shows the weakness of this years trading market.

Chi-Town Red
07-24-2007, 08:46 PM
For a team to be viewing Loshe as help just shows the weakness of this years trading market. WORD

gedred69
07-24-2007, 10:31 PM
It doesn't matter if it's Lohse, Dunn or even Conine, I'm sure most Red's fans won't be happy with what we get in return.

Well put. None of these guys will bring anything other than cents on the dollar. Keep Dunn, and hope some team coming up short power-wise in the playoffs, feels a need for an Adam Dunn next year. That's a better chance for a decent return.

fadetoblack2880
07-24-2007, 10:45 PM
There was another player Doyel mentioned but I forgot his name. I think he was in AA.

Too young...

fadetoblack2880
07-24-2007, 10:45 PM

too young...

fadetoblack2880
07-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Well put. None of these guys will bring anything other than cents on the dollar. Keep Dunn, and hope some team coming up short power-wise in the playoffs, feels a need for an Adam Dunn next year. That's a better chance for a decent return.

i'd be happy to see a pitcher, regardless of age, be able to be consistant every fifth day.

fadetoblack2880
07-24-2007, 10:49 PM
For a team to be viewing Loshe as help just shows the weakness of this years trading market.

agreed

HokieRed
07-24-2007, 11:25 PM
This may seem off-thread but isn't really as it's related to Lohse, but does anybody know what happened with Chris Young of the Padres tonight. He went out after 2 scoreless against the Rockies.

HokieRed
07-24-2007, 11:39 PM
There could be something to the Mariners' interest. As inconsistent as Lohse is, he would be a solid improvement for them at #4, and they are really in both a pennant and wild-card race (3 back in both). They also seem to have few minor league options. This could really be a place where something happens.

Slyder
07-25-2007, 12:33 AM
This may seem off-thread but isn't really as it's related to Lohse, but does anybody know what happened with Chris Young of the Padres tonight. He went out after 2 scoreless against the Rockies.

Chris Young to the Reds for Dunn :evil:. I can dream can't I?

Anyways in seriousness

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=Au4EymtbWrGRsV7p0n37cIG3u7YF?gid=270724 127

The Padres lost All-Star right-hander Chris Young to a strained abdominal muscle after two innings, and their bullpen blew another late lead.