PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey's option

AmarilloRed
07-25-2007, 01:37 AM
I am not sure anyone is posting much about this subject. I thought I would bring it up with Jay Bruce waiting in the wings. I believe Bruce will shortly be sent down to AA, but it is possible he stays in AAA the rest of the year. We have Griffey signed for 6.5 million next year, and then we have a option for Griffey in 2009. I believe the Reds will keep one of them on the payroll, but they may not be able to keep both, especially with Bruce taking an outfield spot shortly. I am not sure I heard right on the 6.5 million for Junior, but that would be rather economic. My question is this: Would you pick up Griffey's option in 2009? I believe his option salary is 6.5 million (just like 2008), and with the way he has played this year it might be worth it to pick up his option one more year.However, he is getting older, and the chance for injury may cause some to buy out his contract. I think it is a discussion that would be good to have, especially with all the trade winds swirling around Adam. We may need Griffey in the short term until Bruce is ready.

Bonzo
07-25-2007, 01:59 AM
I believe his 2009 option is for $16.5 million with a $4 million buyout. With a likely drop in performance next year, I would decline it.

ChatterRed
07-25-2007, 02:02 AM
I think the answer to the question lies in how close the Reds are to competing. I seriously doubt in one offseason they will be ready to compete next year. More than likely, Dunn will be gone, Hamilton will be in center and someone else - either a prospect or free agent signing will be in left field. If Griffey puts together two healthy seasons - this season and next - I can see them signing him because the salary would be cheap if he's still hitting 30 HR's and 100 rbi's. Based on this season alone, he has lost nothing in his swing - it's as sweet as ever. He may take it easy on the basepaths, but maybe that's for the better considering all the gripes the fans have had about his health.

It all depends on if the Reds are competing and what their lineup consists of. I can still see him here in 2009.

I just read the previous post and if his salary for 2009 is $16.5 million, then they definitely won't take the option.

Chi-Town Red
07-25-2007, 06:59 AM
yes i believe it is 16 million for 2009 but not 100% sure..he might be close to passing Mays at 660 by the end of 2009

rotnoid
07-25-2007, 07:06 AM
yes i believe it is 16 million for 2009 but not 100% sure..he might be close to passing Mays at 660 by the end of 2009

He might be close at the break in 2009 if he can keep up with close to this pace. Even in this economic atmosphere $16.5 million seems high. If the Reds are interested in keeping Junior, and he's interested in staying, it might make the most sense (dare I say it) to think about an extension this offseason. They can probably get hime cheaper than $16.6 M and he can guarantee, if he wishes to do so, that he can finish his career here. It all depends on what both sides want to do. At this point, I don't think either is being completely honest.

Moosie52
07-25-2007, 07:54 AM
The Reds will keep Junior next season, even if it isn't the smartest move they could make for the future of the team. There is just too much prestige and respect on the line. And besides, Junior has had a very good 2007 season. He isn't the albatross he once was. He's one of the few dependable hitters we have.

ChatterRed
07-25-2007, 07:58 AM
The Reds will keep Junior next season, even if it isn't the smartest move they could make for the future of the team. There is just too much prestige and respect on the line. And besides, Junior has had a very good 2007 season. He isn't the albatross he once was. He's one of the few dependable hitters we have.

It's a shame his whole Reds career couldn't have gone like this season. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching a healthy Junior, even though he takes it easy on the base paths at times probably to keep from injuring the leg again.

44Magnum
07-25-2007, 09:51 AM
I would never pick up any option on Jr. The sooner he's gone the better!

JLB5
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
IF Jr. puts together another season like this one, then they would almost have to take the option. At that point, he would be on the doorstep of 700 HR, 2000 RBI, 3000 Hits. Seeing him get those milestones in a Reds uni would be well worth it. Not sure if that extension would involve a deferrment like his current contract, but Griff would probably work something out, especially if the team is competitive.

larryboy
07-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Griffey is great on a team that is near contention or has ample money. The Reds are neither so he should be moved despite the the bad press hit management will take. Get younger and cheaper and build bottom up. This org needs more than a band aid fix.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-25-2007, 03:04 PM
IF Jr. puts together another season like this one, then they would almost have to take the option. At that point, he would be on the doorstep of 700 HR, 2000 RBI, 3000 Hits. Seeing him get those milestones in a Reds uni would be well worth it. Not sure if that extension would involve a deferrment like his current contract, but Griff would probably work something out, especially if the team is competitive.

And if your an owner and he is this close you would have to keep him, just think about how many more tickets would be sold if he were that close to those numbers?

Ludwig Reds Fan
07-25-2007, 03:50 PM
At this point in Griffey's career, it is more about ticket sales than actual performance. I suspect that, if healthy, KGJ could bat below the Mendoza line and still find his way into the lineup.

He already jogs. Once his numbers go south along with his hustle, then the "Ken Griffey Jr w/ special guest stars REO Speedwagon and Poison" tour will have officially begun. I think it has already...

edit: for those of you keeping track at home, REO Speedwagon and Poison are analogies for performers who draw an audience based on what they did, rather than what they are doing. ;)

AmarilloRed
07-25-2007, 05:02 PM
It seems the thread I read had the numbers wrong. They posted that his option was 6.5 million whereas it is really 16.5 million. A big difference.For simply economic reasons, I hope Bruce is ready at the start of 2009.

Chi-Town Red
07-25-2007, 07:12 PM
they may pick up the option...depends on how 2008 goes...but they will never sign him to an extension..IMO

I(heart)Freel
07-25-2007, 08:34 PM
It seems the thread I read had the numbers wrong. They posted that his option was 6.5 million whereas it is really 16.5 million. A big difference.For simply economic reasons, I hope Bruce is ready at the start of 2009.

I still think the numbers are wrong.

I'm almost certain that his 2008 salary is $12.5 mill (with $6 mill deferred, but the Reds count it all).

And his 2009 option is $16.5 mill OR a $4 mill buyout.

I think you wait til trading deadline *next year* to decide on his future. Unless you're overwhelmed with an offer.

Chi-Town Red
07-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I still think the numbers are wrong.

I'm almost certain that his 2008 salary is $12.5 mill (with $6 mill deferred, but the Reds count it all).

And his 2009 option is $16.5 mill OR a $4 mill buyout.

I think you wait til trading deadline *next year* to decide on his future. Unless you're overwhelmed with an offer.that sounds right

spartcock77
07-25-2007, 08:53 PM
I think it depends on where the team is, if we have a real shot at the playoffs and a good year, then we should keep him around as his experience and bat would be helpful, but if we are going for a younger, rebuilding team then we should probably free up the money and allow the younger players to gain valuable experience which i hope is what we are doing this year so it wont be happening when griffey's option comes up

AmarilloRed
07-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I can see where bringing Bruce up would more economic than picking up Griffey's option. I could see where the Reds would buy him out for 4 million in 2009.

I(heart)Freel
07-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Another variable in all this is the OTHER trading deadline.

This week is the non-waiver deadline. But previous GMs and presumably Krivsky too usually put every player on waivers and see who claims whom. I wouldn't doubt if Junior is more of a candidate for the next trading deadline.

One, potential buyers would know better their needs. And would aggressively pursue them.

Two, Junior - with his pocket veto firmly in hand - can better gauge which teams have a shot at the World Series ring he so desperately deserves.

So I think this is the week to explore offers for Dunn, Lohse, Conine, etc. But I think we have a few more weeks for Junior rumor-mania.