PDA

View Full Version : With Linebrink traded...what could the Reds get for Weathers?

MasonBuzz3
07-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Scott Linebrink just brought back three of the top 30 prospects in the Brewers system, including the #3. Considering that Linebrink is a FA after this season and that Weathers is having a better season (especially if you look at Linebrink's home/away splits), what do you guys think that Stormy could bring back?

I would personally keep Weathers as he is really the only constant in the pen, but I would listen to offers

thorn
07-25-2007, 06:37 PM
This could be a precursor to another move by SD. They don't have a lot to offer for a big bat, maybe these young arms will help.

BearcatShane
07-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Maybe they traded away Linebrink knowing we'll package Weathers with Dunn? Just a though.

REDblooded
07-25-2007, 06:45 PM
good gravy.........i really can't think of anything plausible i'd want from the Pads.....so the possibility of this leading to something else doesn't really excite me.

BearcatShane
07-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I'll take Chase Headley off their hands.

AmarilloRed
07-25-2007, 08:53 PM
They may not be able to get a whole lot; Weathers could be near the end of his career. We might be able to get a AAA prospect however.

Chi-Town Red
07-25-2007, 08:57 PM
the Padres made the deal...they are done...i highly doubt we will be doing anything with them before the deadline

jmac
07-25-2007, 09:48 PM
So who closes for the reds in 08 ?
Stanton :rolleyes: Coffey :help: ????
I mean seriously, why trade Weathers and then go and pay alot for a avg closer which weathers is(or slightly better) ?
If Burton/Bray/??? steps forward fine, if not, this team will still need a closer.
Weathers will benefit us more I believe than a avg prospect who may never make bigs.

AtomicDumpling
07-25-2007, 09:49 PM
I think the key to the Linebrink trade was the two 1st round draft picks the Brewers will receive when Linebrink leaves as a free agent. Even then it seems a high price to pay for 2 months of Linebrink.

Will Weathers be a Class A free agent like Linebrink is? If so, then he has a ton of trade value too. But the Reds may be better off keeping the draft picks.

Luckily the Reds are not limited to the Padres as a trade partner. I imagine plenty of teams would love to have him.

Degenerate39
07-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I mean seriously, why trade Weathers and then go and pay alot for a avg closer which weathers is(or slightly better) ?
If Burton/Bray/??? steps forward fine, if not, this team will still need a closer.
Weathers will benefit us more I believe than a avg prospect who may never make bigs.

Bray would be my choice as closer.

I(heart)Freel
07-25-2007, 09:56 PM

Agreed.

My 2008 plan includes keeping Weathers and spending some decent cash on a real legit closer.

This season looks a whole lot different with just an AVERAGE set-up arm in the 'pen. Imagine if we had Weathers do his thing in the 8th all year and then turn it over to a guy who, like, really closes. And then everyone else slots back accordingly into roles. Man.

And I'm not saying they'd be the Second Coming of the Nasty Boys good. Just imagine about 8-10 more ball games salvaged. Where would that have put us in the standings?

Ugh.

AtomicDumpling
07-25-2007, 10:03 PM
There is no doubt the Reds could use a stud closer, with Weathers being used in the 8th. I would like for Bray to step into that role eventually, but so far he hasn't even demonstrated the ability to pitch at the major league level -- much less be a closer.

Chi-Town Red
07-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Weathers set up...Belisle closer?

REDblooded
07-25-2007, 10:18 PM

belisle closer to what? closer to going back to his home town to bag groceries? that's what I hope he's closer to.

Degenerate39
07-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Bray for closer :thumbup:

HokieRed
07-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Weathers for close until somebody earns the job away from him. Right now he's one of the better closers in the game.

AmarilloRed
07-25-2007, 11:29 PM
We really have no other option at this point; Bray could possibly do the job in the future but Weathers is the closer right now.

jmac
07-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I posted in another thread recently how if looking back you play the "what if" game.
The reds in offseason moved BP to SS, play Freel/?? at 2nd, not signed AG or Stanton and instead signed Gagne.
Weathers pitching the 8th/7th-8th and Gagne taking over in 9th.:beerme:

Maybe not in first but certainly higher than we are now.
Some of those games we either blew in 8th or it went from a 3-2 defecit to 7-2 in the 8th may have had different outcomes.

jcmac3
07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
SO what 3 players were traded, for a few reasons I am pretty familiar with the Brewers farm system and Im curious.

jcmac3
07-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Nevermind I found it,

Will Inman

Stats: 4-3 with 1.72

ERA in 13 starts for Single-A Brevard County (Fla.); 1-5 and 5.45 ERA in eight starts at Double-A Huntsville (Ala.)

Notable: He missed a month of the 2006 season because of a sore shoulder but skyrocketed from there. At 20, he is young for Double-A. He commands a fastball clocked at 89-92 mph. Baseball America ranked him 91st among top prospects before the season.

Steve Garrison

Stats: 8-4 and 3.44 ERA in 20 starts for Single-A Brevard County (Fla.).

Notable: Another strike thrower expected to make good use of spacious Petco Park. He went to a prep school in Princeton, N.J., not far from Princeton, alma mater of Padres pitcher Chris Young and Padres Double-A outfielder Will Venable.

Joe Thatcher

Stats: 1-0, 0.55 ERA in 14 relief appearances for Double-A Huntsville (Ala.); 2-1, 2.08 ERA in 24 relief appearances for Triple-A Nashville

Notable: He allowed no home runs in Double-A and Triple-A this year. His low-three-quarters delivery is tough on left-handers. The Padres expect him to benefit from being a novelty to hitters.

I really liked Inman, Im glad he is out of the central, I think he could be a good MLB pitcher in a few years.

AmarilloRed
07-26-2007, 12:43 PM
I posted in another thread recently how if looking back you play the "what if" game.
The reds in offseason moved BP to SS, play Freel/?? at 2nd, not signed AG or Stanton and instead signed Gagne.

Some of those games we either blew in 8th or it went from a 3-2 defecit to 7-2 in the 8th may have had different outcomes.

I went and checked on Gagne's stats this year: 2-0, 2.16 era,34 games, 16 saves ,12 walks and 29 strikeouts. I think it is safe to say we could have used him on the Reds this year. However, I am not sure I would have placed Freel at second and not signed Gonzalez. Freel is a supersub at best and will never be a starter.

BLEEDS
07-26-2007, 12:59 PM

Gagne is going to be NOWHERE IN RANGE of what the Reds could sign. $12M or so. We don't even have SP's making that.

We'd be better off going for Linebrink, or better yet Trading for Chad Cordero.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

boognish
07-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Gagne is going to be NOWHERE IN RANGE of what the Reds could sign. $12M or so. We don't even have SP's making that.

We'd be better off going for Linebrink, or better yet Trading for Chad Cordero.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Paying Cordero and/or Linebrink is paying for past performance their former employers got dirt-cheap. Preparing to be ripped, I will state that I happen to think Linebrink is among the most overrated players in the game. The key for the Reds solidifying their bullpen is finding the next Linebrink, or Pedro Feliciano, or Dan Wheeler...cheap cast-offs from other organizations who can miss bats and serve as effective middle relievers. The money saved versus paying millions for ~60 IP from relievers can go towards starting pitching or another high-OBP bat which the Reds could use at the top of the lineup.

Also, the post you are quoting was referring to last offseason with respect to Gagne.

jmac
07-26-2007, 04:55 PM
I went and checked on Gagne's stats this year: 2-0, 2.16 era,34 games, 16 saves ,12 walks and 29 strikeouts. I think it is safe to say we could have used him on the Reds this year. However, I am not sure I would have placed Freel at second and not signed Gonzalez. Freel is a supersub at best and will never be a starter.

I wasnt a big fan of the AG signing cause it was mainly defense and pitching didnt really improve.
Basically I was just saying save money on AG and Stanton and put that plus a little.
Of course no one knew what Gagne was going to do following surgery anyway.

jmac
07-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Also, the post you are quoting was referring to last offseason with respect to Gagne.

Correct you are !

BLEEDS
07-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Will Weathers be a Class A free agent like Linebrink is? If so, then he has a ton of trade value too. But the Reds may be better off keeping the draft picks.

Stormy is not a FA until after next season. We should be trying to trade Stanton.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

redrum
07-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Stormy is not a FA until after next season. We should be trying to trade Stanton.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

What makes you think that Krivsky isn't trying to trade Stanton? Unfortunately it takes two teams to make a trade.

redrum
07-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Paying Cordero and/or Linebrink is paying for past performance their former employers got dirt-cheap. Preparing to be ripped, I will state that I happen to think Linebrink is among the most overrated players in the game. The key for the Reds solidifying their bullpen is finding the next Linebrink, or Pedro Feliciano, or Dan Wheeler...cheap cast-offs from other organizations who can miss bats and serve as effective middle relievers. The money saved versus paying millions for ~60 IP from relievers can go towards starting pitching or another high-OBP bat which the Reds could use at the top of the lineup.

I agree with this. You want a closer, then look for young struggling starting pitchers with a plus pitch.

boognish
07-26-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree with this. You want a closer, then look for young struggling starting pitchers with a plus pitch.

Unfortunately, this organization has a ways to go to earn the fans' trust with respect to its ability to unearth bullpen talent, though Coutlangus was a very nice find. I happen to like Burton quite a bit also.

There has been quite a bit of shuffling new bodies in and out of the pen but not much in the way of results to this point. The last thing we need to happen is for WK to pay top dollar for Danys Baez, Scott Eyre, Bob Howry, Scott Williamson et al, all of whom were successful relievers at one point but aren't outdoing league average.

Chi-Town Red
07-26-2007, 09:39 PM
what about Belisle as a closer?

boognish
07-26-2007, 09:44 PM
what about Belisle as a closer?

...may as well try him there if he continues to prove he will be ineffective starting. I still think he might be fatigued, as he has already pitched 30 more IP than at any point in his big league career and missed a lot of time with his back injury last season. I think a big part of the rest of the year is seeing whether Belisle can rebound and be a league average starter.

ThatPitchIsDunn
07-27-2007, 02:52 PM
I'd have to do some research on this, but aren't Belisle's first inning stats horrible this year? I can't imagine that would translate well into a closer role. On top of that, I think he's in the bottom 5 in the league in RISP BA against. Neither of these equate to much excitement from me if he's trotting out there with the lead in the ninth.

boognish
07-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I'd have to do some research on this, but aren't Belisle's first inning stats horrible this year? I can't imagine that would translate well into a closer role. On top of that, I think he's in the bottom 5 in the league in RISP BA against. Neither of these equate to much excitement from me if he's trotting out there with the lead in the ninth.

This link proves your eyes correct: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=belisma01&year=2007

The first inning is Belisle's worst in terms of OPS allowed, HR allowed, and SLG allowed.

First inning: 91 PA, .313/.341/.602, 5 BB, 13 K, 5 HR.

The link also shows Belisle to give up higher OPS in pitches 1-25 than any other 25-pitch subset.

It is possible that he is "pacing himself" as a starter as he was pretty effective in relief last season, and these numbers could be misleading as they are less than 100 PA, but there they are.