PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Coffey

REDblooded
07-28-2007, 09:49 PM
No, really, I'm getting tired of watching you "pitch".

mroby85
07-28-2007, 10:12 PM
that is really messed up to title a thread with that. you got my hopes up that he was released or traded.

jmac
07-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I would just as soon see Salmon get Coffey's spot for the rest of the year.Again I say it appears the Coffey of 50+ip 80+hits(a couple of years ago) is what we can expect. It does appear that Burton has moved ahead in Pete's pecking order.

Cant Touch This
07-28-2007, 10:13 PM
It is kind of a shame. I wish other players had is apparent enthusiasm. But for whatever reason, he just doesn't have it right now. I hope he can fix it. Likeable guy with a live arm - just can't get batters out.

mroby85
07-28-2007, 10:14 PM
It is kind of a shame. I wish other players had is apparent enthusiasm. But for whatever reason, he just doesn't have it right now. I hope he can fix it. Likeable guy with a live arm - just can't get batters out.

i think he has become very unlikeable.

jmac
07-28-2007, 10:17 PM

Problem is I dont know if triple A would help. When down there before he dominated basically then comes back and does the same ole same ole.
Will he be a AAAA pitcher like some describe certain hitters (Deno for example)?

Cant Touch This
07-28-2007, 10:18 PM

Why do you say that? You spend time with him recently?

mroby85
07-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Why do you say that? You spend time with him recently?

no, i'm a reds fan, and i don't like players that hurt their chances of winning.

although with you being from michigan, i can understand why you don't see a problem with losing, after getting so used to it with Lloyd Carr. lol.

boognish
07-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Problem is I dont know if triple A would help. When down there before he dominated basically then comes back and does the same ole same ole.
Will he be a AAAA pitcher like some describe certain hitters (Deno for example)?

At least in Coffey's case, his problem seems to be something fixable; he simply cannot command his fastball, which makes him very hittable both early and late in counts. He is a young guy and should be allowed to accrue innings against major league hitters to see if he can get straight for next year.

His contract extension was premature and he could possibly be a AAAA pitcher, but he has exhibited performance (2006) consistent with a strong 7th-inning pitcher and should be afforded the opportunity to recapture his effectiveness. Consistent work does not mean pitching 28 of 43 days, Narron-style, nor does it necessarily entail working multiple innings in the lion's share of his appearances. Management needs to find Coffey a niche where he can succeed, and step one is getting him to throw his fastball consistently where he wants it to go. He can then start mixing up his pitch sequence and use the slider and, hopefully less often, splitter, earlier in the count.

Not directed toward you, rocko, but I would like to state that spitting bile devoid of analysis on the board every time Coffey gives up a run lends nothing to any quality discussion.

Cant Touch This
07-28-2007, 10:35 PM
no, i'm a reds fan, and i don't like players that hurt their chances of winning.

although with you being from michigan, i can understand why you don't see a problem with losing, after getting so used to it with Lloyd Carr. lol.

I'm sorry that Coffey's ineffectiveness on the mound has had such a personal impact on you. Maybe he can send you some cookies from Cheryl and Company - you know, the ones with the gourmet center.

Fans have every right to bash a paid athlete who simply is not getting the job done. I just don't see how that makes a guy "unlikeable." Of course, I could be wrong. I've never met the guy myself. Maybe he's a complete and total ass. I guess I have no proof one way or another.

I just don't judge people's personalities by the way they pitch. I guess that's just me.

Incidentally, I have no ties to U of M. Really couldn't care less about the Big Ten, quite frankly. I'm from Cincinnati and that will always be my home.

mroby85
07-28-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry that Coffey's ineffectiveness on the mound has had such a personal impact on you. Maybe he can send you some cookies from Cheryl and Company - you know, the ones with the gourmet center.

Fans have every right to bash a paid athlete who simply is not getting the job done. I just don't see how that makes a guy "unlikeable." Of course, I could be wrong. I've never met the guy myself. Maybe he's a complete and total ass. I guess I have no proof one way or another.

I just don't judge people's personalities by the way they pitch. I guess that's just me.

Incidentally, I have no ties to U of M. Really couldn't care less about the Big Ten, quite frankly. I'm from Cincinnati and that will always be my home.

Im not sure, but i think the average fan would say they have players they like and dislike.

Cant Touch This
07-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Im not sure, but i think the average fan would say they have players they like and dislike.

You are absolutely correct. I think of Barry Bonds when I read a statement like that. Or Joey Porter. Not necessarily Todd Coffey. Just because a guy is totally sucking at the moment doesn't mean you have to hate him. In fact, I think he could use a Ned Flanders pat on the back. I feel for the guy....

mroby85
07-28-2007, 10:42 PM
why do you dislike barry bonds then? you haven't spent time with him personally, you've just heard what the media is feeding.

joey porter, i can't argue, i hate him too Who Dey!

Cant Touch This
07-28-2007, 10:46 PM
I never said I disliked Bonds. I was merely agreeing with you that the "average fan can like or dislike a player." I'm no average fan. But I do hate Joey Porter. He can mug a player in public and get a slap on the wrist while Odell gets another detention tacked on to his original sentence for a mistake he made more than a year ago. Uh....see Jared Allen...?

I will say this - having never met Roger Goodell, I do not like him. If that makes me a hypocrite, then so be it!

mroby85
07-28-2007, 10:47 PM
I never said I disliked Bonds. I was merely agreeing with you that the "average fan can like or dislike a player." I'm no average fan. But I do hate Joey Porter. He can mug a player in public and get a slap on the wrist while Odell gets another detention tacked on to his original sentence for a mistake he made more than a year ago. Uh....see Jared Allen...?

I will say this - having never met Roger Goodell, I do not like him. If that makes me a hypocrite, then so be it!

I want Tagliabue back.

Hey Meat
07-28-2007, 10:48 PM
You got my hopes up. I wish he would take his stupid sprint somewhere else.

redsupport
07-28-2007, 10:50 PM
what utter absolute, pompous garbage. To run in and then have the stuff of a minor leaguers is pathetic

mroby85
07-28-2007, 10:51 PM
im just waitin on him to trip, then it will all be worthwhile.

Chi-Town Red
07-28-2007, 10:52 PM
im just waitin on him to trip, then it will all be worthwhile.:thumbup:

Cant Touch This
07-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Admittedly, I wish he'd stop sprinting to the mound. Not so much because I think he looks kind of geeky doing it, but because, damn man, that's gotta wear a guy out. And then to try to get out major league hitters after expending so much energy. The routine is not working, so try something new. Like maybe doing the moonwalk from the bullpen into the mound. At least that is relaxing and would make the hitter somewhat bewildered before the first pitch...

mroby85
07-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Admittedly, I wish he'd stop sprinting to the mound. Not so much because I think he looks kind of geeky doing it, but because, damn man, that's gotta wear a guy out. And then to try to get out major league hitters after expending so much energy. The routine is not working, so try something new. Like maybe doing the moonwalk from the bullpen into the mound. At least that is relaxing and would make the hitter somewhat bewildered before the first pitch...

there is a thought, maybe the riverdance, or the kelley washington squirrel, lol.

Cant Touch This
07-28-2007, 11:06 PM
there is a thought, maybe the riverdance, or the kelley washington squirrel, lol.

Why not the Ickey Shuffle? It was successful to the tune of 15 touchdowns in 1988, I'm sure it could lead to a few IP with no hits or walks here and there, right?

mroby85
07-28-2007, 11:07 PM
maybe if we get a new pitcher to do it, lol.

captainmorgan07
07-28-2007, 11:09 PM
u got my hopes up. He should not be with the major league club if he cannont control his fastball. Even when he does control it he has no other pitch to go with it to throw consistently.

Chi-Town Red
07-28-2007, 11:19 PM
He could ride in on horseback if that would make him pitch better

mroby85
07-28-2007, 11:20 PM
He could ride in on horseback if that would make him pitch better

i have a sad feeling that none of these are going to work, lol.

jmac
07-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Jennifer Marlowe still available ?

fadetoblack2880
07-29-2007, 12:00 AM

I don't dislike him, I just hate when the Reds use him. Now if he were with the Cubs, I would HATE him.

uoduck1017
07-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Maybe they should play Wild Thing once Coffey runs out of the bullpen.

http://mdd2403.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/vaughn.jpg

Muggerd
07-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Coffey is pretty much awful.

REDblooded
07-29-2007, 12:02 PM
He should change his name to Todd Frappuccino. It works better in the summertime than coffee.