PDA

View Full Version : Dunn possibly to Nats with third team getting involved?

BearcatShane
07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Surprisingly, with roughly four hours to ago, Adam Dunn's most likely suitor still appears to be the Washington Nationals.

Will Carroll says that Dunn would love to be reunited with good friend Austin Kearns in Washington, and might sign an extension there. He could become the face of the franchise. The problem is that the Nats don't have what the Reds want, so a third team would have to get involved.

Just speculating, but I could see some bad blood lingering between the two teams over the Gary Majewski thing. That has to make you wonder how Wayne Krivsky would ever let Dunn end up in Washington.

mlbtraderumors.com

ChatterRed
07-31-2007, 11:58 AM
The Reds want the Nats third basemen (Zimmerman?), Cordero, & Rauch.

I think they should trade the Nats Dunn and Edwin for Cordero, Zimmerman, and Rauch.

mound_patrol
07-31-2007, 12:02 PM

I think they should trade the Nats Dunn and Edwin for Cordero, Zimmerman, and Rauch.

Think there is a zero chance that would happen but I would absolutely do that and I'm against trading Dunn.

reds44
07-31-2007, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't deal Zimmeramn, Cordero, and Rauch if I was the Nationals.

BLEEDS
07-31-2007, 12:05 PM

Personal Opinion, or linked reference?

I would take "just" Cordero and Rauch.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Prf15
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM

I actually thought about that trade last night. Reds can include a minor leaguer to the deal as well. One of the relief pitchers like Stanton.:thumbup:

REDblooded
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Doubt the Nats would do it, but I would try to package something like Dunn, EE, and maybe Fisher? for Zimmerman, Rauch or Cordero, and Chris Marrero.

reds44
07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Doubt the Nats would do it, but I would try to package something like Dunn, EE, and maybe Fisher? for Zimmerman, Rauch or Cordero, and Chris Marrero.
lol

I don't do that if I'm the Reds.

mound_patrol
07-31-2007, 12:12 PM
lol

How would you not. I'm a huge Dunn and EE fan but Zimmerman would be that RH power bat we would need. Marrero is supposed ot be pretty solid from what i've read and cordero and Rauch are decent. I'd do it in a heart beat.

BigREDSfaninKY
07-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Just a feeling I have, but I just don't see the Reds doing anything today. Not sure I'd agree with WK with this, I hope they do something to improve the ballclub. If it means trading Arroyo or Dunn, then do it.

reds44
07-31-2007, 12:13 PM
How would you not. I'm a huge Dunn and EE fan but Zimmerman would be that RH power bat we would need. Marrero is supposed ot be pretty solid from what i've read and cordero and Rauch are decent. I'd do it in a heart beat.
Go look at Zimmerman's numbers this year.

Prf15
07-31-2007, 12:14 PM

I think Cordero and Rauch are better than decent. I just have memories of last years trade with 2 relievers coming to Cincy for 2 well liked position players.

mound_patrol
07-31-2007, 12:15 PM

I realize his numbers aren't great this year, but he is an extreme talent. Just imagine what he would do in the GABP as well.

SMcGavin
07-31-2007, 12:18 PM

1. I'm looking... OPS+ of 95 in a 23-year-old's down year.
2. Can't you say the same thing about Edwin (79 OPS+)?

BLEEDS
07-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Stanton, EE and Dunn for Zimmerman, Cordero and Rauch?

That would make us "even" for the Bray and injured Maj for Lopez/Kearns deal.

Just have to hope Zimmermans numbers ESCALATE in GABP the same that Lopez/Kearns DROPPED by leaving it...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

reds44
07-31-2007, 12:21 PM
I realize his numbers aren't great this year, but he is an extreme talent. Just imagine what he would do in the GABP as well.
I won't say Edwin has the upside of Zimmerman, he has a ton of upside himself and everyone wants to dump him because of his sophmore slump. Now everyone wants to acquire someone in his sophmore slump.

mound_patrol
07-31-2007, 12:22 PM
I won't say Edwin has the upside of Zimmerman, he has a ton of upside himself and everyone wants to dump him because of his sophmore slump. Now everyone wants to acquire someone in his sophmore slump.

Trust me, I'm a huge Edwin fan, but I also realize how good Zimmerman could be.

Prf15
07-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Zimmerman kills Lefties. No one else in our lineup can do that. His AVG against Lefties is .367.

reds44
07-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Trust me, I'm a huge Edwin fan, but I also realize how good Zimmerman could be.
And his upside doesn't offset trading Edwin AND Dunn for him, a reliever, and a prospect.

mound_patrol
07-31-2007, 12:25 PM
And his upside doesn't offset trading Edwin AND Dunn for him, a reliever, and a prospect.

In my opinion I think it does.

Prf15
07-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Vs LHP:(AVG)

Ross: .253
Hatteberg: .199
Dunn: .206
Griffey: .256
Hamilton: .236
Phillips: .336

Zimmerman: .367

This trade would balance out our lineup a little bit more. I can't watch games when they face lefties, it's horrible.

SMcGavin
07-31-2007, 12:30 PM

I think the discussion is moot cause there's no way the Nats give up Zimmerman, their top two ML relievers AND the #15 pick in last year's draft (who is holding his own in A+ at age 19) for EE and Dunn.

Also I am absolutely not wanting to dump Edwin, I think he's gonna be just fine at 3B. But he is not Ryan Zimmerman.

eastkyred
07-31-2007, 12:32 PM
this discussion is moot because I can't see the nats dealing Zimmerman, but its unbelievable how many people on here don't know if they would do this deal. I guess its just an unrealistic view of Dunn's value.

mound_patrol
07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
this discussion is moot because I can't see the nats dealing Zimmerman, but its unbelievable how many people on here don't know if they would do this deal. I guess its just an unrealistic view of Dunn's value.

Yeah I definitly dont think its possible to get Zimmerman unless we added Bailey or Bruce which I wouldnt do. But I wouldnt do Dunn for Rauch and Cordero.

REDblooded
07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
lol

Maybe learning who Chris Marrero is would silence your laughter.....or, you can just act like I'm an idiot out of your own ignorance. Your choice.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=502029

improbus
07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
I think the discussion is moot cause there's no way the Nats give up Zimmerman, their top two ML relievers AND the #15 pick in last year's draft (who is holding his own in A+ at age 19) for EE and Dunn.

Also I am absolutely not wanting to dump Edwin, I think he's gonna be just fine at 3B. But he is not Ryan Zimmerman.

That's the kind of trade that gets xetoed in fantasy leagues. Please let it happen....;)

eastkyred
07-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah I definitly dont think its possible to get Zimmerman unless we added Bailey or Bruce which I wouldnt do. But I wouldnt do Dunn for Rauch and Cordero.

I think this may be the deal that ends up going down. I think there will be another prospect thrown in. I don't love this deal, but I do like Cordero and if it is the best offer when 4 rolls around, I think Krivski has to take it if he has decided against picking up Dunn's option. I believe that he is not going to pick up that option, so whatever trade we make will be the best one available.

SMcGavin
07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
OK here's something more reasonable perhaps... if Bowden calls and offers up Zimmerman for Dunn and EE, do you take it? (with neither of the relievers or Marrero involved)

mound_patrol
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
OK here's something more reasonable perhaps... if Bowden calls and offers up Zimmerman for Dunn and EE, do you take it? (with neither of the relievers or Marrero involved)

I still would. But I would work a weathers or hatteberg into the deal and try to get someone else.

eastkyred
07-31-2007, 12:47 PM

yes

ChatterRed
07-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Zimmerman, Rauch, Cordero for EE, Dunn, Coffey.

Trade third basemen, we get the better deal. They get a big lefthanded bat that hits 40 HR's a year and wants to sign with them and be with Austin Kearns. They get a young reliever. We get two decent relievers.

Everyone is happy.

mroby85
07-31-2007, 12:49 PM
does any of this have any truth to it? or is it just supposing?

SMcGavin
07-31-2007, 12:50 PM
I think I'd do it too, but I can see the argument against it. Let's say EE ends up not being much worse than Zimmerman... is it worth dealing Dunn for that upgrade? You free up Dunn's money for free agency but I'm of the firm belief that you are not gonna replace his production with $13M of FA dollars. But Zimmerman is talented enough to produce like Dunn in a couple of years so I'd have to make the trade.

SMcGavin
07-31-2007, 12:51 PM
does any of this have any truth to it? or is it just supposing?

Dunn for Cordero and Rauch has been rumored, the rest is just supposing.

ChatterRed
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Zimmerman is a far better defensive 3B than EE. Plus he has more power.

I hope they can do a bigger trade - EE, Dunn, Coffey, Stanton for Cordero, Rauch, Zimmerman.

SMcGavin
07-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Zimmerman is a far better defensive 3B than EE. Plus he has more power.

I hope they can do a bigger trade - EE, Dunn, Coffey, Stanton for Cordero, Rauch, Zimmerman.

Hey I'd do that too, but I'm pretty sure the Nats wouldn't. I love Dunn but unfortunately his contract situation lessens his trade value, especially when the return someone as cheap as Zimmerman.

AmarilloRed
07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
All right, let's all try to be serious. Would you accept a swap of Zimmerman for Encarcion? If Bowden wants Dunn, he only has to wait until the end of the year. There are fairly good odds the Reds will not pick up Dunn's option, and the Nats could simply get Dunn for some draft picks(I think). Dunn and Edwin for Zimmerman will be hard enough, Cordero and Rauch added is just unrealistic. I think the original trade is more likely , Cordero and Rauch for Dunn.

Tigs
07-31-2007, 02:12 PM
I think if there is a trade involving Dunn to the Nats, most of our return will be prospects from a third team. Ive heard intrest in Cordero from the Mets and Redsox, so my thinking is, if a trade goes down, it will look more like this...

Nats get: Adam Dunn
Reds get: Team #3's prospects
Team #3 gets: Chad Cordero

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-31-2007, 02:16 PM
I think if there is a trade involving Dunn to the Nats, most of our return will be prospects from a third team. Ive heard intrest in Cordero from the Mets and Redsox, so my thinking is, if a trade goes down, it will look more like this...

Nats get: Adam Dunn
Reds get: Team #3's prospects
Team #3 gets: Chad Cordero
So we would be basically giving Dunn away so that a couple other teams could get better just for the sake of cutting his salary?

Tigs
07-31-2007, 02:31 PM
So we would be basically giving Dunn away so that a couple other teams could get better just for the sake of cutting his salary?Realistically ... yes. Its called rebuilding, you trade away your players that are worth something to get better for the future. Its what bad teams without a lot of money, like the Reds, (should) do to try and get better. We need to get something for Dunn, because the reality is the Reds are not gonna pay Dunn the big bucks to play left field in Cincinnati for years to come. If he leaves, and we dont get anything for him, we are gonna regret not getting a return for him while we could. I dont care how important he is to our offense, if he doesnt have a future with this club, he's useless to have now.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Realistically ... yes. Its called rebuilding, you trade away your players that are worth something to get better for the future. Its what bad teams without a lot of money, like the Reds, (should) do to try and get better. We need to get something for Dunn, because the reality is the Reds are not gonna pay Dunn the big bucks to play left field in Cincinnati for years to come. If he leaves, and we dont get anything for him, we are gonna regret not getting a return for him while we could. I dont care how important he is to our offense, if he doesnt have a future with this club, he's useless to have now.
We would get something for him though, he is going to be a type A free agent which would net us a couple early draft picks. All I am saying is that I don't think we are that far from being a good team in the near future, and we are going to have some money to spend in the off season so why let another team have a guy like Cordero and we get a couple of coin toss prospects when we could just trade Dunn for Cordero and finally have a top closer going into next year?

Tigs
07-31-2007, 02:44 PM
We would get something for him though, he is going to be a type A free agent which would net us a couple early draft picks. All I am saying is that I don't think we are that far from being a good team in the near future, and we are going to have some money to spend in the off season so why let another team have a guy like Cordero and we get a couple of coin toss prospects when we could just trade Dunn for Cordero and finally have a top closer going into next year?Personally, I would love for the Reds to trade Dunn to the Nats for a package involving Cordero, but I am just saying that this is how I think the trade will realistically look like.

bounty37h
07-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Realistically ... yes. Its called rebuilding, you trade away your players that are worth something to get better for the future. Its what bad teams without a lot of money, like the Reds, (should) do to try and get better. We need to get something for Dunn, because the reality is the Reds are not gonna pay Dunn the big bucks to play left field in Cincinnati for years to come. If he leaves, and we dont get anything for him, we are gonna regret not getting a return for him while we could. I dont care how important he is to our offense, if he doesnt have a future with this club, he's useless to have now.

But from what other teams are offering, or should I say arent offering, it appears Dunns trade value is pretty much squat, or we would be sitting with some new players right now.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
But from what other teams are offering, or should I say arent offering, it appears Dunns trade value is pretty much squat, or we would be sitting with some new players right now.

<-- Suprised..... :rolls eyes:

AmarilloRed
07-31-2007, 04:19 PM
It looks like Adam will be a Red the rest of the year.