PDA

View Full Version : How many of you want a new GM in Cincinnati?

AmarilloRed
08-02-2007, 01:43 AM
I bring this up because I noticed a lot of posters were upset that Wayne made very few trades. I would like to keep him several more years to see if he can turn the Reds franchise around, but this is your chance to vote to keep Wayne or to vote for a new GM. I vote Yes to keep Wayne.

mound_patrol
08-02-2007, 01:57 AM
I vote to get rid of him. I seriously think his judgement is lacking.

mroby85
08-02-2007, 02:13 AM
i say keep him, i can't really think of a trade he's made that's hurt the team. i'd give him one more shot to fix up the bullpen, and if he doesn't, then i'd fire him.

i like the cantu trade a lot, plus he got us phillips, arroyo and hamilton.

uoduck1017
08-02-2007, 02:28 AM
I was excited when they hired him and I will continue to support Wayne. Stability is needed for us to create a successfull team in my opinion.

rotnoid
08-02-2007, 07:23 AM
IStability is needed for us to create a successfull team in my opinion.

Well, that and a little bit of talent.

BurgervilleBuck
08-02-2007, 07:30 AM
I don't think it matters a winky cuss what we say but I'm all for new blood. I lost respect for the man at the Narron firing press conference when he broke down like Paris Hilton heading off to jail.

Chi-Town Red
08-02-2007, 07:38 AM
If we can get Jocketty yes

ChatterRed
08-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm tired of the turnstyle at GM and manager. Hire a respectable proven manager in the offseason, and then give Krivsky and the new manager 3 more years to right this sinking ship.

There is no GM in baseball that hasn't tried a few moves that didn't work out. Krivsky has far more positive moves than bad ones.

HokieRed
08-02-2007, 10:09 AM
It's interesting to me that Krivsky continues to get credit for a great acquisition in Bronson Arroyo and yet there seemed to have been little sentiment for our really extending ourselves to keep Kyle Lohse. Their stats this year are nearly identical, and if Lohse were given a long-term deal on the order of the kind he's probably going to get, he'd likely be cheaper than Arroyo after 2008 (at least that's how I understand Arroyo's contract). Also there doesn't seem to be much thought that the Pirates made a good acquisition in Matt Morris and yet Morris's year certainly compares favorably to Arroyo's and there's only one year remaining on his contract, thus giving the Pirates flexibility and also probably making him a lot easier to deal down the stretch next year. To me, the Arroyo trade is about a wash in the evaluation of Krivsky, given what we're paying him after 2008, which is a good bit for a #3-4 starter on a team with a lot of other needs.

improbus
08-02-2007, 10:15 AM
A GM has to get at least 5 years. ALOT of people thought Bowden was great until he had a chance to prove otherwise. Let Krivsky prove himself. If we keep changing GM's, we'll never get anyone good to come here.

HokieRed
08-02-2007, 11:09 AM
O'Brien didn't get five years. I wish he had. 5 O'Brien drafts might have fixed the organization for a long time.

BearcatShane
08-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I'll keep him for at least one more season.

improbus
08-02-2007, 11:12 AM
O'Brien didn't get five years. I wish he had. 5 O'Brien drafts might have fixed the organization for a long time.

Agreed

Degenerate39
08-02-2007, 11:47 AM
If there's a better GM available get him

JLB5
08-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Too bad they couldn't find a way to keep him on the staff to serve in that function.

Krawhitham
08-02-2007, 12:17 PM
i say keep him, i can't really think of a trade he's made that's hurt the team. i'd give him one more shot to fix up the bullpen, and if he doesn't, then i'd fire him.

i like the cantu trade a lot, plus he got us phillips, arroyo and hamilton.

His moves from the allstar break on cost them the playoffs last season

The Magic man almost singlehandedly cost them the playoffs last season.

This season sure Lopez & Kearns have not done much but last season they were 37% of the offense for the Reds

But lets looks at the Magic Man
the Reds finished 3.5 back, if they would have finished .5 back the Cards would have been forced to play a makeup game with SF.

on July 15th he gave up 2 runs he got a BS
on July 20th he have up 2 and got the lose
on July 23rd he a let 2 IR score in the 7th (Reds lost by 3)
On Aug. 6 he have up 4 recorded the lose and a BS
Sept 3rd he allowed the winning run (IR) to score in the 8th (lost by 1)

Royce Clayton's .235 AVG and .958 Fpct surely did not help

after the Trade the reds
lost 23 games but 3 runs or less
lost 14 games but 2 runs or less
lost 9 game by one run

You mean to tell me if he had not traded away 37% of an offense that was on pace to score 823 runs would not have won at least 3-4 of those games

Before the trade 5.07 runs per game after 3.86

you think maybe they could have won 3-4 more games

they went from 3rd best in runs before the trade in the NL to 2nd to last

do you think Bray's .292 BBA and .344 OBPA hurt last season
Do you think Joe Mays' 7.33 ERA down the stretch helped?

ChatterRed
08-02-2007, 01:00 PM
This thread is hilarious.

mroby85
08-02-2007, 01:02 PM
It's interesting to me that Krivsky continues to get credit for a great acquisition in Bronson Arroyo and yet there seemed to have been little sentiment for our really extending ourselves to keep Kyle Lohse. Their stats this year are nearly identical, and if Lohse were given a long-term deal on the order of the kind he's probably going to get, he'd likely be cheaper than Arroyo after 2008 (at least that's how I understand Arroyo's contract). Also there doesn't seem to be much thought that the Pirates made a good acquisition in Matt Morris and yet Morris's year certainly compares favorably to Arroyo's and there's only one year remaining on his contract, thus giving the Pirates flexibility and also probably making him a lot easier to deal down the stretch next year. To me, the Arroyo trade is about a wash in the evaluation of Krivsky, given what we're paying him after 2008, which is a good bit for a #3-4 starter on a team with a lot of other needs.

i'm so sick of stats i could puke, lohse isn't half the pitcher arroyo is.

shredda2000
08-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I say keep him a while longer...

mroby85
08-02-2007, 01:06 PM

This season sure Lopez & Kearns have not done much but last season they were 37% of the offense for the Reds

the Reds finished 3.5 back, if they would have finished .5 back the Cards would have been forced to play a makeup game with SF.

after the Trade the reds
lost 9 game by one run

You mean to tell me if he had not traded away 37% of an offense that was on pace to score 823 runs would not have won at least 3-4 of those games

you also could blame that on some of their main run producers going in the tank. you can say what you want, but trading lopez and kearns haven't hurt this team. would you rather have lopez and kearns or gonzo and hamilton?

Slyder
08-02-2007, 01:07 PM

Until he started trading them for more Tony Woe hacks.

thorn
08-02-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure what a new GM will do, it's not his money their spending, it's the owners, so if they don't spend money what differance does it make who's the GM? Building a farm system that was a complete mess can't happen in 2 years, I think WK is doing good things with the farm system, he needs more time. Would a new GM suddenly make our farm system better the day he shows up or would you allow him time to build it? Give him a couple more years, if not 3. We don't need to be changing GM's ever other year, I think that's bad policy, we shouldn't expect way to turn us into contenders, espically considering some of the contracts he was saddled with.

improbus
08-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Kraw, the team ERA got better in the 2nd half last year because of Krivsky.
Guardado was awesome
Chormier was serviceable
Schoeneweis was awesome
Yan was OK
Franklin was OK
The offense died because Dunn and Phillips collapsed over the last month, Junior got hurt, and even guys like Hatteberg struggled greatly (hitting .220 over the last two months).

Yes, Bray and the Majek Man didn't help. But Lopez and Kearns couldn't have overcome those overwhelming slumps by themselves.

AdamDunn
08-04-2007, 03:23 AM

Agreed as well. DanO didn't know a thing about the majors or developing prospects, but could he get talent in the draft. Wonder if we could get him as a draft advisor (do GM's really have that much influence in a draft?)

simpleman424
08-04-2007, 09:17 AM
I would keep Wayne and see what he can do with that bull pen of ours...there have been a lot of good improvements since he took over...we couldn't expect a miracle.

you also could blame that on some of their main run producers going in the tank. you can say what you want, but trading lopez and kearns haven't hurt this team. would you rather have lopez and kearns or gonzo and hamilton?

I would have liked to have Lopez still but I suppose I wouldn't trade it back for what we have now.

4-28
08-04-2007, 09:28 AM

Yes, Bray and the Majek Man didn't help. But Lopez and Kearns couldn't have overcome those overwhelming slumps by themselves.

It's very difficult to look at hitting statistics on the micro level over short periods of time for any position player. Do you think having Kearns and Lopez bat in the lineup offering some protection and some baserunners for Dunn and Griffey instead of Ryan Freel and the awfulness that is Royce Clayton could have helped out their second half? I do. You cannot just assume that taking two very potent (last year) offensive weapons is not going to have any affect on the rest of that lineup. So in that respect, yes, not having Lopez and Kearns hurt this team.

Now would Kearns and Lopez have put this team in the playoffs last year? I don't know. But I do know that Majic man and Clayton certainly made sure they stayed out of the playoffs.

Finally, for the record, I'd rather have Lopez than Gonzo this year. Gonzo has some nice power numbers, but an OBP floating around .300. If you take Lopez out of the cavernous RFK and put him in GABP I'm willing to bet his number far exceed Gonzo in OBP and come close to matching in SLG. Lopez defense is awful, but Gonzo's hasn't been any great shakes either. Now, would I want Lopez with his likely salary in the future over Gonzo and his fixed future salary? That I don't know.

kaldaniels
08-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Talk about using numbers inaccurately. Maybe I'd take your post a little more seriously if you did the right thing and listed Majewski's July 21 W vs the Brewers where he pitched a scoreless inning and got the W. But no, that would hurt your case big time.

Majewski was terrible last year. But to singlehandly put the blame on him (in a roundabout way) is ridiculous.

after the Trade the reds
lost 9 game by one run

REDblooded
08-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Book it. If Krivsky is replaced, this team is set back another 2 years.

Cicero
08-04-2007, 01:16 PM
A thousand times no. This team is in dire need of continuity in management. There is no quick fix. Teams don't go from perennial loser to contender in a year. To expect them to is a bit foolish.

gedred69
08-04-2007, 01:55 PM
A GM has to get at least 5 years. ALOT of people thought Bowden was great until he had a chance to prove otherwise. Let Krivsky prove himself. If we keep changing GM's, we'll never get anyone good to come here.

I agree. Too much impatience will scare good people away as a sign of an unstable organization. How many GMs have the Reds had in the last 15 years anyway?

redsfanmia
08-04-2007, 05:40 PM
How many GMs have the Reds had in the last 15 years anyway?

Jimbo, Obie, and Krivsky and Maybe Bob Quinn I cant remember if he left in 92 or 93

Maldez
08-04-2007, 06:29 PM
I'd like to see what Wayne can do in a 5-7 year span. I think the man has a very sharp eye for talent and Reds fans will be more than happy with the results if we give Krivsky time to do his job properly.

No question, this year has been a dud, but some of the blame has to fall on Jerry Narron's shoulders. who hired, Narron, anyways?

Carolina Red
08-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I think he deserves more time to rebuild. This is a small market team with a low payroll, a large portion of which is tied up in 2 or 3players. As much as I love Griffey Jr. the Reds made a tremendous mistake in paying him that amount of money over that length of time. That has hindered this organization for the last several years. That was a Bowden signing. Then O'Brien decides to give Milton another 20 some million for 3 years of horrible pitching (when he was healthy enough to pitch). I doubt seriously Walt Jocketty could do any better given the mess Krivsky was handed when he took over and the limited payroll. Phillips, Hamilton, and Arroyo have been good signings. Arroyo would have had a better year had he not played in Japan last offseason. I can't blame Krivsky because he didn't make many deals at the deadline. If the deals weren't there then they just weren't there. I think you will see the Reds improve over the next few seasons as we get rid of the big contracts we gave Griffey, Milton, and Dunn.

AmarilloRed
08-05-2007, 02:28 AM
Does this mean you would not give Adam Dunn an extension? I think we might give him a short extension, especially since both he and Griffey are set to have expired contracts. I am sure Bruce will take one of the starting spots, but I am unsure if anyone else in the minors will become a starting outfielder.

Jr's Boy
08-05-2007, 02:35 AM

Yes on the surface thus far it appears Dano is a better judge of talent in the draft than Krivsky.

redrum
08-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I've seen enough of Wayne to wish for a change. He has made some nice individual moves, but I don't trust that he has the capability of putting together a team. Mostly I don't like the types of players he targets. In my opinion he places too much emphisis on traditional and not enough on secondary statistics.

The offense is trending downwards with the team-wide OBP as Wayne replaces high OBP hitters with lower ones. He has spent a lot of resources and time picking up BABIP lucky relievers with shiney ERAs that predictably regress as their luck runs out.

redrum
08-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Does this mean you would not give Adam Dunn an extension? I think we might give him a short extension, especially since both he and Griffey are set to have expired contracts. I am sure Bruce will take one of the starting spots, but I am unsure if anyone else in the minors will become a starting outfielder.

Well, I doubt he would accept a short extension. He is hitting the FA market in his so-called prime years. It's doubtful that his value on the FA market would ever be higher than this year or next.

AmarilloRed
08-05-2007, 02:10 PM
He accepted a 2 year deal last time from Krivsky. I think we could get him for 2-3 years.

texasdave
08-05-2007, 04:01 PM
GM? a new gumball machine? a new grave marker? a new germane marsupial?

Chi-Town Red
08-05-2007, 04:08 PM
we all just want the team to win...give WK at least one more full season..

redrum
08-05-2007, 04:17 PM
He accepted a 2 year deal last time from Krivsky. I think we could get him for 2-3 years.

Completely different situation. Last time the Reds bought out arbitration years, not free agent years. There is no incentive for Dunn to sign a short term contract when he is a year (or less if the Reds decline the option) from free agency.

Chi-Town Red
08-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Completely different situation. Last time the Reds bought out arbitration years, not free agent years. There is no incentive for Dunn to sign a short term contract when he is a year (or less if the Reds decline the option) from free agency. Dunn will not be around in 2009...he can make alot more money from other teams...and will

Vada Pinson Fan
08-05-2007, 05:22 PM
The Reds need stability in the front office and on the field with respect to WK and PM. So I keep them UNLESS Jocketty and/or LaRussa wants to bring their respective abilities to Cincinnati in 2008.

I thought Krivsky would reflect more of Terry Ryan from Wayne's apprenticeship with the Twins. The continued shuffling of Managers and GMs on the Reds won't work.

AmarilloRed
08-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I thought I would allow those who hadn't yet voted a chance to vote, and those who have voted a chance to admit you were wrong. I was wrong, and I hope Wayne Krivsky is fired at the end of the year. I am all for stability, but I now begin to wonder if Wayne knows what he is doing.

dougflynn23
08-07-2007, 11:43 PM
:confused:He lost me the day he cried after releasing Jerry Narron.

Muggerd
08-08-2007, 03:43 AM
I said keep wayne but i really could careless because i think hes just as bad as he is good sometimes.

ThirdBaseCoach
08-08-2007, 10:48 AM
forget about Jocketty and Tony. they are not leaving St. Louis.

Stick with WK and PM for at least another year.