PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone on this forum bash Marty?

44Magnum
08-02-2007, 01:42 PM
It seems that Redszone is the only place where you can find Marty bashers.

BearcatShane
08-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I love Marty, he tells it like it is.

The Snow Chief
08-02-2007, 02:10 PM

Me too. Marty is just as tired as I am with this half-*** try to catch lightning in a bottle managmement we have been putting up with this decade. Excluding teams like the Pirates and Royals who will never go for it because their ownership is so stingy, there are two ways to win in baseball:

1) consistently spend money - the Reds are not going to do this; or
2) make a full blown commitment to starting over with only young, talented players - suffer through a couple terrible seasons - then work it so you have a good enough nucleus of cheap young talent where you can add a few free agents for a year or two and try to make a run. You then trade that young, cheap talent when it gets to be old, expensive talent and repeat the process.

Despite the claims that we have been rebuilding, the Reds have not truly rebuilt this decade. It's been the same old spend enough to have 4th place in the division talent and hope everyone has career years and the team catches lightning in a bottle. Rinse, then repeat.

Jerry Narron
08-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Marty was always a jerk to me during the pre game interviews.

mound_patrol
08-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Marty was always a jerk to me during the pre game interviews.

I don't like Marty because he says a lot of stuff without any consideration to what the facts say. Hes a great play by play man. Its all the other stuff he does that i really dislike

JLB5
08-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Well, here and Adam Dunn's mother's house. ;)

He's gotten a bit more cranky after watching the Reds stink up the joint year after year. He has an "old school" perspective on the game. Many here react to what they heard he said, but don't actually listen to the broadcasts. Marty doesn't sugarcoat his analysis and those who disagree with his opinion are more apt to disagree strongly because he is not PC. I personally enjoy him because he sparks debate. I don't agree with everything he says, but he gives you something to think about rather than a bland description of what goes on during the game. Despite how many times I've heard him say that Adam Dunn is a great kid and that he has nothing personal against him, many believe that he does have a vendetta. As a number have formed the opinion that he is a bitter old man, they tend to confirm their bias everytime he says something negative and ignore the positive things he has to offer. To some, Marty has become the "shock jock" of broadcasters because his HOF status has overblown is ego.

jimbo
08-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Hopefully I do not ruffle any feathers here, but I think a big reason why many RedsZoners do not like him is because people with very strong opposing opinions normally butt heads just as strongly.

Since RedsZone is a place where only diehard Reds fans come to talk Reds baseball, there are a lot of strong opinions so it makes sense that most here are either in the love him or hate him category when it comes to Marty.

kyred14
08-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Marty tells it like he thinks it is, which is usually wrong. He's a bitter old man who I wish would retire already.

redsfanmia
08-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Marty is a bitter old know-it-all hack whose best days are long behind him. Bringing in Thom has made him worse IMO.

Screwball
08-02-2007, 03:19 PM
You know what I find to be kind of funny is the parallels between Marty bashers and Dunn bashers. Both tend to ignore the excellent qualities/production they bring to the table (phenomenal pbp / excellent on base and slugging ability) while focusing primarily on each one's faults (Marty's constant criticisms and over-bearing ways, Dunn's BA w/ RISP and/or Ks). They both want their respective "guy" (for lack of a better term) gone yesterday despite the huge void it would leave should each one leave the Reds.

Personally I greatly admire and respect both for what they bring to the Reds, rather than detract for any faults I might have with them. Just as I get annoyed with Marty's seemingly constant criticisms as I do when Dunn Ks when a runner on 3rd and 1 out, I'll still take the bad with the overwhelming good they each bring.

Doro
08-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Screwball is now my favorite poster, I completely agree

You know what I find to be kind of funny is the parallels between Marty bashers and Dunn bashers. Both tend to ignore the excellent qualities/production they bring to the table (phenomenal pbp / excellent on base and slugging ability) while focusing primarily on each one's faults (Marty's constant criticisms and over-bearing ways, Dunn's BA w/ RISP and/or Ks). They both want their respective "guy" (for lack of a better term) gone yesterday despite the huge void it would leave should each one leave the Reds.

Personally I greatly admire and respect both for what they bring to the Reds, rather than detract for any faults I might have with them. Just as I get annoyed with Marty's seemingly constant criticisms as I do when Dunn Ks when a runner on 3rd and 1 out, I'll still take the bad with the overwhelming good they each bring.

jimbo
08-02-2007, 03:33 PM

:clap: Well said.

BearcatShane
08-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Marty tells it like he thinks it is, which is usually wrong. He's a bitter old man who I wish would retire already.

What do you think of Thom? Were probably going to have a Brenneman as the lead voice on the radio for at least 30 more years.

CWRed
08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Bravo. Bravo!

Now with that being said he does think the Reds are a better team with Hopper than with Dunn. :eek:

mroby85
08-02-2007, 04:54 PM
marty is the best announcer i've ever heard, and i hope he stays around for a long time. i feel that the overall opinion of reds fans differs from the majority on redszone.

JLB5
08-02-2007, 04:59 PM
marty is the best announcer i've ever heard, and i hope he stays around for a long time. i feel that the overall opinion of reds fans differs from the majority on redszone.

I think it also depends upon if you expect to be entertained or informed. Marty does better at entertaining and espousing his personal views than being informative. So, if you disagree with his personal opinion and you seek to be informed, you likely won't find him entertaining.

klw
08-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Most everyone gets bashed here these days. Marty would feel left out if he wasn't bashed too. Plus it seems like he is bashed for bashing so that whole glass house cliche can be thrown out there too.

AtomicDumpling
08-02-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't like to listen to Marty anymore because all he does is whine like a little sissy.

He never learned that throwing a tantrum, or strongly criticizing, or "telling it like it is" doesn't actually have the slightest impact on the team's performance. When I listen to the Reds on the radio I want to have a good time. I can have a good time even when the Reds lose -- after all, it is not me on the field and the Reds' success or failure does not reflect on me one way or the other. But when Marty constantly complains about the team it ruins the experience for me.

Ever since Joe Nuxhall left the booth the broadcast team has taken a nose dive. Marty was fine while Joe was there, but now that Marty runs the show the way he likes it I just don't care to listen to him anymore. Joe always wanted the team to do well and was disappointed on the air when they failed, but he never turned on the team and made nasty comments about the players. Marty's tone is extremely nasty and I don't want to hear it. There is a difference between pointing out the team's failures on the one hand and throwing a tantrum because you didn't get your way on the other hand.

I rarely listen to the Reds on radio anymore because of Marty. I have better things to do than listen to a spoiled whiner. His ego has outgrown his talent. He should give the play by play and tell us what is happening and keep his out-dated opinions to himself. I much prefer Jeff Brantley to either Marty or Thom.

SMcGavin
08-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Now with that being said he does think the Reds are a better team with Hopper than with Dunn. :eek:

See now this is why the "Marty bashers" can't get along with the "Dunn bashers" as Screwball put it. It doesn't really matter to me if Marty personally thinks Dunn isn't any good. He's entitled to his opinion. It does bother me a little that his opinion is constantly repeated so that Reds fans who were previously on the fence may be swayed to think like him. It bothers me a LOT that Marty's personal agenda may have a role in this team's future. Dunn has acknowledged the negativity towards him from Reds fans, and has mentioned Marty by name as one of the guys responsible. If Dunn eventually decides not to re-sign here, and that decision is at all influenced by stuff that our RADIO GUY says, I have a big problem.

reds44
08-02-2007, 08:14 PM
No, no, no, no, no. He tells it like he thinks it is.

A classic Marty moment was during the Cubs game a few nights ago. Somebody on the Cubs singled in the 10th and he said the Cubs have the lead. Then he said "oh wait, the runner is out".

Do you're job, then complain.

Marty is a grumpy old man. That's how it is.

ChatterRed
08-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Marty is the best play by play announcer I've ever heard in MLB. But I don't like him.

It's not what he says but how he says it. He's an arrogant old codger who thinks he knows it all and can say whatever he wants. I think he's lost respect for what got him to where he is. He reminds me of alot of old people who reach a certain age and think everyone has to listen to what they say, no matter if you want to or not, and then believe what they say whether it's right or not or you want to, and finally just think you owe it to them to just take their crap all because they're old.

Not really trying to poop on old people, but my dad told me once (He's 70) that once you reach a certain age, you can say or do whatever you want and people just have to take it. Believe me. He is a grouchy old man and I see alot of people like him. Marty is one of those people.

jimbo
08-02-2007, 08:43 PM
No, no, no, no, no. He tells it like he thinks it is.

Just as you, I, or anyone other Reds fan does. Nobody has it all figured out. Everytime we post a comment here or when Marty makes a comment air, it's all an opinion and nothing more.

Marty is no more grumpy than a lot of Reds fans.

reds44
08-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Just as you, I, or anyone other Reds fan does. Nobody has it all figured out. Everytime we post a comment here or when Marty makes a comment air, it's all an opinion and nothing more.

I'm not getting paid to post on redszone, and it's not my job to call Reds games.

Big difference.

jimbo
08-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm not getting paid to post on redszone, and it's not my job to call Reds games.

Big difference.

Fair enough. But I also feel that the majority of Reds fans want a game announcer who has a personality and an opinion as opposed to a robot. IMO, the majority of fans who dislike Marty dislike him because he is strong opinionated and do not agree with his opinions.

For example, if Marty continuously praised EE you would probably love him. ;)

Blue
08-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Marty lowers the IQ of every Reds fan every time he opens his mouth. Strikeouts are the worst possible thing, home runs are overrated, bunting works, etc.

mroby85
08-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Marty lowers the IQ of every Reds fan every time he opens his mouth. Strikeouts are the worst possible thing, home runs are overrated, bunting works, etc.

sounds like a smart guy to me.

Degenerate39
08-02-2007, 10:49 PM

Big difference.

That would be the best job ever

AtomicDumpling
08-03-2007, 12:04 AM

Of course the best teams strike out a lot, hit tons of homers and rarely bunt -- but Marty can't be wrong because he "says it like it is".

The game has passed him by and he doesn't even realize it. Baseball is different in the 21st century than it was in the 1970's.

If you still play the game the way it was played in the 70's then you are going to get your butt kicked repeatedly by the teams that have adapted to the changes and learned from the past.

I think Marty has become very unprofessional the last couple of years. If he were new to broadcasting and had his intolerant, whining, cry-baby attitude while constantly berating the players as if he could do it better then he would be fired by the Reds without a second thought. But because he has a loyal following of people that have enjoyed listening to him for 30+ years he can get away with spouting off his garbage. I enjoyed listening to him for decades, but I am ready to see him go somewhere else -- and he can take his son with him. His tirades and ridiculous claims about Dunn, home runs, bunts, diluted pitching, etc have me wishing for the good old days of Nuxhall and his little buddy Marty.

Poofy-Haired Fancy Boy Marty was great. Grumpy Old Man Marty sucks.

nmculbreth
08-03-2007, 01:52 AM
I suppose that you can put me in the camp of the Marty bashers. I'll be the first to admit that Marty is an excellent play-by-play announcer and I can think of very few announcers who call a better game. At the same time I've grown very tired of his snarky comments and his abundantly clear dislike of certain Reds players. In my humble opinion a play-by-play announcer's sole job is to create a mental image of what is going on and then let the listener draw their own conclusions about what goes on in the ball game. Marty seems to feel that the broadcast is his little soap box and I wish that he'd keep his opinions to himself and just do his job.

uks2h
08-03-2007, 05:58 AM

Internet Forum people aren't the type of people who Marty needs to worry about impressing. It's the common man who listens to games on the radio, and most common folks like me love Marty because he ISN'T politically correct like everyone tries to be these days. Politically Correctness has ruined a lot of tv stations and radio stations, but I still love WLW. Hooray to Marty and Joe!

hebroncougar
08-03-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm pretty indifferent on Marty, until he starts bashing the players. I don't need that, and neither does anyone else listening. If I were a player, I'd torture him. Do things like lock him in the bathroom on the team flight, when his golf clubs come in off of the flight, pull a club and throw it in the garbage, call him on the banana phone and ask him how it feels to be in the hall of fame because of the history of the organization he now professes to know more than. Stuff like that to torture him into retirement. I think Thom on his own would be much better off.

Moosie52
08-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Joe always wanted the team to do well and was disappointed on the air when they failed, but he never turned on the team and made nasty comments about the players. Marty's tone is extremely nasty and I don't want to hear it. I much prefer Jeff Brantley to either Marty or Thom.

Joe was a homer's homer and a really optimistic guy, a joy to listen to. Marty has gotten increasingly angry over the years, but I understand why. This team has been stuck in neutral for 7 seasons. It's not that Marty doesn't want the team to do well; it's that he can't see that they are making any progress, and neither can I. Bob Castellini to the rescue? Give me a break. It all seems pointless to me. And I agree with you about Brantley. He is comic relief.

bounty37h
08-03-2007, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=AtomicDumpling;1431949]I don't like to listen to Marty anymore because all he does is whine like a little sissy.

Thats ironic, I was thinking it was because many posters here are whiny and simply dont like the opposing competition to their view, which of course is always right.

bounty37h
08-03-2007, 10:53 AM

Word!!

bounty37h
08-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Reading this brilliant position just cost me a point or two on my IQ as well.....

44Magnum
08-03-2007, 11:03 AM
I personally like Marty. Sure he bags on players, but is he wrong about the players he bags on? I don't think so.

SMcGavin
08-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I personally like Marty. Sure he bags on players, but is he wrong about the players he bags on? I don't think so.

So the Reds would be better off if Hopper took the everyday LF job instead of Dunn?

44Magnum
08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
So the Reds would be better off if Hopper took the everyday LF job instead of Dunn?

In the long run...Yes!

Jim Fazio
08-03-2007, 02:40 PM
I have met Marty a few times in Cincy and in Pittsburgh last yr at the team hotel. He is very approachable and stopped and talked with us for about 10 minutes. He is a very nice guy and took pictures with my family and signed autographs. He is in my opinion the best play by play man there is, and this includes all sports.

lo ryder
08-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Marty has earned the right to voice his opinion with a distinguished career. He keeps things lively, even though he does become a little overbearing at times.

What scares me is Thom's boisterous attitude right out of the gate. First year in the organization and already tops his old mans ego. Maybe he should earn his stripes and then subject the audience to his tyrannical rants. Someone may even listen at that point.

Maldez
08-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't dig Brenneman's style. I find his voice somewhat grating.

goreds2
08-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Brennamania on the 700WLW website:

http://www.700wlw.com/pages/art_bren.html