PDA

View Full Version : Soriano out 2-to-4 weeks

Degenerate39
08-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Cubs' Alfonso Soriano out 2-to-4 weeks after injuring quad running the bases against the Mets

By RICK GANO, AP Sports Writer
August 5, 2007

CHICAGO (AP) -- Chicago Cubs star left fielder Alfonso Soriano strained his right quadriceps during Sunday's 8-3 loss to the New York Mets and will be sidelined 2-to-4 weeks.

Soriano singled with two outs in the third for Chicago's first hit and then tried to go to third on a single by Ryan Theriot. Soriano pulled up between second and third, favoring his right leg, and tried to hop to third base, where he was tagged out easily. He was then helped off the field.

"It's going to be a tough loss. I don't know what we'll do," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "Losing Soriano is the toughest thing about this homestand."

Soriano was replaced in left field by Cliff Floyd, who had been playing right. Mark DeRosa went from second base to right and Mike Fontenot entered the game at second.

The Mets were leading 1-0 at the time behind Tom Glavine, who became the 23rd pitcher with 300 wins.

Chicago remained one game behind the NL Central-leading Milwaukee Brewers.

simpleman424
08-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Wow thats definitely going to be a tough loss for them Chicago. I like Soriano...hope he gets better as soon as poss.

ChatterRed
08-06-2007, 07:45 AM
.......and here come the Reds surging past the Cubs into first place! :>)

berryluther
08-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Sounds like the Cubbies might be in the market for a power hitting outfielder if they could clear waivers.:)

Get on the phone Wayne

Carolina Red
08-06-2007, 10:23 AM
After attending a couple of Reds/Cubs games last weekend and having to endure Cubs fans yelling for their pitcher to "hit Freel in the head" I don't feel sorry for the Cubs. I hope they don't make it to a World Series for another hundred years. Better yet, I think baseball should realign the teams and move the Cubs out of the NL central to the AL east. That way they would have to endure Yanks and Sox fans all the time.

killuminati35
08-06-2007, 01:56 PM
I would never wish an injury on somebody, but if it had to happen to a Cub I'm glad it was Soriano. That little hop he does before he catches a fly ball infuriates me. He needs to knock that off.

Natty Redlocks
08-06-2007, 05:43 PM
That little hop he does before he catches a fly ball infuriates me. He needs to knock that off.

Agreed. There's no fruity little hopping in baseball!

BLEEDS
08-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Sounds like the Cubbies might be in the market for a power hitting outfielder if they could clear waivers.:)

Get on the phone Wayne

My thoughts exactly.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Chi-Town Red
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Im going to be at at least one of the games here in Chicago next week...im surprised Felix Pie hasn't been called back up. I heard on the radio today that the Cubs are looking at Shannon Stewart form Oakland.