PDA

View Full Version : Will Wily Mo be traded in the next few days???

klw
08-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Catching up with our old friend WMP. He has cleared waivers.
http://www.bradfordfiles.com/?p=155

The Red sox have signed Bobby Kielty to a minor league deal which supposedly he can get out of if he is not brought up to the majors within one week. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2964854 With all of the reports of WMP being shopped by the Red Sox before the deadline, I expect this signing signals the likely end to the WMP era in Boston. Hopefully he will be sent somewhere he can play or at least DH on a daily basis.

NoColonBoy
08-08-2007, 09:48 AM
The Reds desperately need another player who can't make contact and can't judge fly balls in the OF.

redsfanmia
08-08-2007, 09:53 AM
The Reds desperately need another player who can't make contact and can't judge fly balls in the OF.

Maybe we could put Wily at third he has played there before and looked really good there.:thumbup:

rotnoid
08-08-2007, 10:38 AM
This has leatherpants written all over. Ladies and gentlemen, introducing your Washington Re... er.. Cincinnati Nati... er, Washington Nationals.

ED44
08-08-2007, 10:58 AM
This has leatherpants written all over. Ladies and gentlemen, introducing your Washington Re... er.. Cincinnati Nati... er, Washington Nationals.

You beat me to it. I bet leatherpants is working his tail off to make this aquisition.

mroby85
08-08-2007, 12:34 PM
i personally liked wily mo, i think he has a high ceiling of potential.

Jim
08-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Dude! That's me! I would be thrilled to make the league minimum! That would be a HUGE raise for me! Sign me up!

Muggerd
08-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Id rather pay an awful fielding power hitter 500k instead of the pay 13 million that some people want to give Dunn.

reds44
08-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Id rather pay an awful fielding power hitter 500k instead of the pay 13 million that some people want to give Dunn.
Call me when Pena hits 40 and creates 200 runs.

Elam
08-08-2007, 01:51 PM

You want to explain that to me?
Dunn is an absolute steal at 13 million in this market, while Wily Mo wouldn't come close to nearing his production. And this team does not need another OBP challenged player, it's already getting weighed down enough through Ross and Gonzalez. The Reds need Dunn if not for his on base skills alone the team is suffering in that department without him/Griffey.

Muggerd
08-08-2007, 01:54 PM
You want to explain that to me?
Dunn is an absolute steal at 13 million in this market, while Wily Mo wouldn't come close to nearing his production. And this team does not need another OBP challenged player, it's already getting weighed down enough through Ross and Gonzalez. The Reds need Dunn if not for his on base skills alone the team is suffering in that department without him/Griffey.

13 million (base) for 1 year. then after that who knows.

Muggerd
08-08-2007, 01:55 PM
you dont have to match dunns production either, only part of Dunns production that is hard to replace his 40 homers. Everything else adam Dunn does isnt that hard to do. Especially being able to not hit the ball unless its a mistake pitch

mroby85
08-08-2007, 02:19 PM
is there ever a thread that doesn't turn into an adam dunn thread? i mean im sick of the guy too, but doesn't anyone get sick of arguing about it?

Muggerd
08-08-2007, 02:20 PM
is there ever a thread that doesn't turn into an adam dunn thread? i mean im sick of the guy too, but doesn't anyone get sick of arguing about it?

YES

klw
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
But then again if Kielty continues like this then the pressure to bring him up won't be that great.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/08/09/left_shoulder_puts_ortiz_on_the_shelf/?page=2

The rust showed on Bobby Kielty's first day with Pawtucket. Kielty, who had not played since July 20 and was designated for assignment the next day by Oakland, appeared in both ends of the PawSox' 4-0, 3-2 doubleheader loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He went 0 for 3 with three strikeouts in the first game, 0 for 3 with two strikeouts in the second. Kielty on Monday signed a minor league contract with the Sox, who are considering him as an alternative to Peña as a fourth outfielder.

Chi-Town Red
08-09-2007, 07:43 PM
did somebody say ADAM DUNN?

klw
08-14-2007, 11:04 AM
WEEI reporting Red Sox close to deal to send WMP to a NL team.

AmarilloRed
08-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Does it mention which NL team?

Degenerate39
08-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I can see Pena going to Washington

jimbo
08-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Does it mention which NL team?

ESPN Insider says that the Pirates and the Padres have shown interest, but that information is about a week old. Even though, I bet it's either those two or the Nationals.

klw
08-14-2007, 03:33 PM
This Boston Globe article was WEEi's source.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/08/14/harsh_words_heard_from_coast_to_coast/?page=2

GoReds33
08-14-2007, 06:18 PM
I think Washington would be horrible for Pena till next year. I don't know the specs of the new park, but if its keeping with the pitching theme it will hurt Pena badly.

improbus
08-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Here's a piece from Bill Simmons Mail-Bag stat about sums up Wily Mo at this stage.
Also, he's 25 and makes almost $2M.
Here's his season numbers so far:
AVG .221 | HR 5 | RBI 17 | OBP .294 | SLG .390

Q: What do you consider to be a fair trade the Red Sox can make for Wily Mo Pena? My roommate and I were discussing it, and we decided that a cheeseburger would be fair. But not just any cheeseburger… we're talking a one-pound cheddar and bacon burger from Fuddruckers. We figure once we add on the tomatoes, pickles, relish, mustard, ketchup, jalapeños, nacho cheese and onions, we'd come out on top. Your thoughts?
--James, Brighton

SG: Um, you'd come out on top if you traded Wily Mo for a single-patty McDonald's cheeseburger with nothing on it. But I like the thought of Theo Epstein announcing the deal, then holding a news conference in which he eats the Fuddrucker's burger in front of the reporters and cameraman and just repeatedly says, "Mmmmmmm … . Mmmmmmm … mmmmm, this is delicious, it almost makes up for the fact that we effectively gave away Bronson Arroyo … mmmmmm … yummmy … "
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070810

GoReds33
08-15-2007, 05:50 AM
I disagree with Mr. Simmons here. He didn't have a bad year last year. Also, as you pointed out he is only 25. He has plenty of time. This is where the options thing makes me mad. Wily Mo would defenitly flourish with a year in the minor leagues starting every day.