PDA

View Full Version : Marty Signed To Three Year Deal

08-11-2007, 01:15 AM
...and his hair was signed to a four year deal. His sweaters got five years with a mutual option.

fewfirstchoice
08-11-2007, 02:11 AM
I just cant understand all this negative crap everybody here at redszone sends Martys way.Marty is one of the best announcers in teh bussiness adn I truely love to hear him call a game on the radio.So I say this.All you naysayers can kiss off and give Marty a break.You hate him because he announces a game the way it is being played.He calls players out when they play the game wrong.Just grow up and understand that 95% of the things he says on the air is 100% correct.Your just mad he calls out your hero(Dunn)when he doesnt hustle,run a ball out,makes a bad play in the field,doesnt produce runs.I can go on do you wish for me to do so.I dont want to turn this into a Dunn post but Marty is a great announcer and nothing you idiots(notice not all posters here are idiots,just the ones that think Marty is bad at his job)here can say or do will make anyone who actually knows what there talking thinks.Marty is great and I for one truely appreciate all he has done for the City and team in Cincy.Thanks you Marty.

08-11-2007, 02:26 AM
Just so you know, I love Marty too. I can't imagine Reds games without him. He is the best, and Reds fans should be thankful to have had a Hall of Famer call their games for the last 35 years.
I just love him enough to make fun of him for his personal style choices, that's all.

Orenda
08-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Just grow up and understand that 95% of the things he says on the air is 100% correct.Your just mad he calls out your hero(Dunn)when he doesnt hustle,run a ball out,makes a bad play in the field,doesnt produce runs.I can go on do you wish for me to do so.I dont want to turn this into a Dunn post but Marty is a great announcer and nothing you idiots(notice not all posters here are idiots,just the ones that think Marty is bad at his job)here can say or do will make anyone who actually knows what there talking thinks.

Sounds like your as sensitive to Marty being called out as some on this forum are to Dunn criticism. Marty's strong personality and opinions to go along with his terrific play by play has made him a HOFamer. However anyone who makes a living expressing those opinions is certain to rub some folks the wrong way. I enjoy listening to him on the radio and like the fact that he speaks his mind but that doesn't mean I agree with all he says, or that I would expect everybody else to.

Muggerd
08-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Marty is equally hard on everyone. When players do good things he is the happiest man in the stadium and when they screw up he is just giving you a visual and telling the truth about what is going on in the field.

I(heart)Freel
08-11-2007, 08:03 AM
I think Marty has gotten his grumpy old man persona from having to watch a crummy team for far too many years. I'm a huge fan of the Reds, but even I force myself to turn off the game when it gets pitiful or to take a break for a few innings, so as not to get my blood pressure up and my mood ruined. Marty, God love him, doesn't have that luxury. Dude has to sit there and take it all. And hasn't had much of anything to get jazzed about since the 1999 season. Losing wears on you, I figure, especially when you can't escape it.

That said, there is no better radio announcer than Marty. I'm happy as a clam we got him through 2010, at least. Now I hope we can give him a winner to announce before then.

bengalsown
08-11-2007, 11:24 AM
I think Marty has gotten his grumpy old man persona from having to watch a crummy team for far too many years. I'm a huge fan of the Reds, but even I force myself to turn off the game when it gets pitiful or to take a break for a few innings, so as not to get my blood pressure up and my mood ruined. Marty, God love him, doesn't have that luxury. Dude has to sit there and take it all. And hasn't had much of anything to get jazzed about since the 1999 season. Losing wears on you, I figure, especially when you can't escape it.

That said, there is no better radio announcer than Marty. I'm happy as a clam we got him through 2010, at least. Now I hope we can give him a winner to announce before then.

Marty always takes breaks during a game. There are certain innings where he doesn't say a word.

redsfan1966
08-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I am a unabashed Marty fan....that does not mean everything he does I am a fan of...I do believe he has become more abrasive towards the team and fans over the past few years; though that is strictly over the air...I have met Marty many times and he is very gracious and personable....I'm not a very big fan of Marty's off air asides when he is not announcing--at least attempt to let us in on the joke sometimes. I also am still a little disturbed by the whole Steve Stewart situation last year--how Marty swore he was fighting for Steve and yet all of a sudden the prodigal son arrives. Regarding the new radio booth alignment--I have enjoyed it--though I do feel Thom is the weak link so far (and yes that does include Joe; I have enjoyed Marty and Joe this season).

All said, Marty is a legend and undoubtedly one of the best in the business even now--trust me, I have XM--and we are very fortunate to have our RADIO announcers.

I(heart)Freel
08-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Marty always takes breaks during a game. There are certain innings where he doesn't say a word.

Not quite what I meant. More along the lines of, he only recently started taking the rare day off. And when it's not one of his innings, he is in the booth, watching. So, my point is, the dude is around the team (and the losing) everyday. Not sure there's a person in the organization who has been around longer and subsequently could be more tired of the losing ways than him.

Degenerate39
08-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Marty is equally hard on everyone.

Not Norris

Muggerd
08-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Not Norris

Listen for the next time Hopper messes up. He rides everyone when they make mistakes.

mound_patrol
08-11-2007, 01:50 PM
I just cant understand all this negative crap everybody here at redszone sends Martys way.Marty is one of the best announcers in teh bussiness adn I truely love to hear him call a game on the radio.So I say this.All you naysayers can kiss off and give Marty a break.You hate him because he announces a game the way it is being played.He calls players out when they play the game wrong.Just grow up and understand that 95% of the things he says on the air is 100% correct.Your just mad he calls out your hero(Dunn)when he doesnt hustle,run a ball out,makes a bad play in the field,doesnt produce runs.I can go on do you wish for me to do so.I dont want to turn this into a Dunn post but Marty is a great announcer and nothing you idiots(notice not all posters here are idiots,just the ones that think Marty is bad at his job)here can say or do will make anyone who actually knows what there talking thinks.Marty is great and I for one truely appreciate all he has done for the City and team in Cincy.Thanks you Marty.

I find this post to be really rude and very unnecessary. People are entitled to their opinions. Just because someone doesnt agree with your ideas doesnt make them an idiot. This board doesn't need this. Alot of people don't like when Marty goes on his wild tangents and I'm one of them. But when Marty is just calling the game there are few that can match him.

Krawhitham
08-11-2007, 04:37 PM
I do not like Marty and never have, but I like this signing. Like it or not his is now the voice of the Reds since Joe only gets 12 games a season, plus I like the loyalty from ownership signing him for 3 more years, something the old ownership did not show Nuxy

Redlegs
08-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I have always been a huge fan of Marty. With Thom coming aboard this season, I must admit I have felt a little bit of Brennaman overload at times. Being opinionated and objective is great, but there are times when I wished they would just call the game. Especially Thom.

Blue
08-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I think I've maybe listened to two games on the radio all season. Marty is intolerable. If they'd just put the other 17 games on television, I wouldn't have to listen to his mindless opinions ever again.

Of course, then I could read some of the garbage in the newspaper written by Paul Daugherty.

I wish we had a manager like Earl Weaver, who would give the fans, journalists, and broadcasters for this team a lesson on how baseball is played in the live ball era.

mound_patrol
08-11-2007, 10:20 PM
I think I've maybe listened to two games on the radio all season. Marty is intolerable. If they'd just put the other 17 games on television, I wouldn't have to listen to his mindless opinions ever again.

Of course, then I could read some of the garbage in the newspaper written by Paul Daugherty.

I wish we had a manager like Earl Weaver, who would give the fans, journalists, and broadcasters for this team a lesson on how baseball is played in the live ball era.

How dare you go against the thoughts of fewfirstwords. That makes you an idiot. haha.

I definitly see how you got your strong feelings of hatred for Marty. And I completely agree with how you feel about Daugherty. I can't ever listen to a word he says.