PDA

View Full Version : Capping Off the Uniform: The Caps of Major League Baseball

macro
04-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Capping Off the Uniform
by Dave Murray

http://www.baseballtruth.com/diamond_duds/duds_120704.htm

What makes a good cap? Like with jerseys, there is a Gray Flannel Rule for caps, a couple things I expect to see in quality headware:

1.) Tradition is important, like for jerseys. The best caps have been around for years, linking generations. It's a bit of a curse, because it prevents teams from following the trends of the minute. But it seems when teams who stick with their traditions look back at their histories, they're glad they did. Of course, in these days of alternate caps, teams can do both, having their cake and selling it in the team shop, too, so to speak.

2.) Letters are desired over a logo, particularly if they represent the home city. There are a couple notable exceptions, mainly linked to tradition. The White Sox, for example, have used S-O-X on their caps for most of their existence. And the Blue Jays had a nice logo, for a while.

In ways, caps are more important than the jersey in terms of establishing team identity. Relatively few people walk around in jerseys outside of a game, but lots of people wear caps. They're a more affordable link between the team and the fans. They're also a legitimate part of the major-league uniform we all can wear. When was the last time you saw someone walking around in a football helmet?

So with that in mind, here are my rankings of the best and worst caps. These are stacked in alphabetical order within a few groups. And remember, all things are relative. Even the worst baseball cap is better than most things in all other sports.

The Classic

Atlanta Braves: The Braves went through cringeworthy caps until going retro with a look that uses the colors from their Milwaukee days as well as the 'A' they first used when arriving in Atlanta

Boston Red Sox: Just some slight, barely noticeable changes to the cap worn by Ted Williams. They should never change. I've purged the red-crowned caps from the 1970s from my memory.

Chicago Cubs (blue): Pure Cubbie, playful and traditional.

Cincinnati Reds (red): The classic cap with the wishbone 'C' should never be abandoned or even tinkered with after the reign of the Big Red Machine.

Note to Reds fans: He is referring to the solid red alternate caps that the Reds never wear. He references the regular home and road models later in the article. - macro

Detroit Tigers (home and road): I have no particular love for the Old English 'D,' but you have to respect a tradition that goes back 100 years. The orange 'D' on the road cap works with the gray uniforms.

Kansas City Royals (blue): I salute the Royals for sticking with this design. Like the entire Royals uniform, it's pretty bland, but you have to respect the tradition.

Los Angeles Dodgers: Few letters can be linked so effortlessly as the 'L' and 'A' in this classic cap.

New York Mets (blue): Like treasures passed down from one generation to another, the 1962 expansion Mets introduced a cap that included blue from the departed Dodgers and orange interlocking NY from the also-departed Giants.

The Other New York Team: Yes, they belong on this list. No, there's no way I'm going to say anything nice about them. Move along.

Pittsburgh Pirates (solid black): Just like Roberto Clemente wore.

San Francisco Giants: Just like Willie Mays wore. That seems like a copout, especially back-to-back with the Pirates, but I think players like that form an identity for the team, especially when carried for decades. Both the Pirates and Giants have tinkered over the years but had the sense to return home.

Washington Nationals (solid red and blue versions): Well done! Using the old Senators' "pretzel" cap was a stroke of genius, restoring tradition and a fine-looking cap. I still would like to see some kind of homage to the Expos, maybe the pretzel on a tri-panel cap for an alternate.

The Very Good

Anaheim Angels: If the team still lists Anaheim as it's home town, this is a worthy cap, especially with the little halo atop the 'A.' I've long yearned for the return of the complete halo on the crown from back in the early days, which would automatically make the cap a classic.

Baltimore Orioles (black and the black with orange visor): The Orioles caps stand out because there's nothing like them. A detailed Oriole stretches across the front. It's neat, it's different, I like it. The orange-visored version gets a slight nod, but they are both solid caps. A rare exception to the Gray Flannel test.

Chicago Cubs (red visor): There's nothing wrong with this cap, but the solid-blue version looks better and is more traditional.

Chicago White Sox: I have a black tie with the Sox logo on it. One day I wore it to work, and someone said 'Why are you wearing a tie that says 'Sex' all over it?" Looking at it closely, part of the Old English 'S' cuts down through the 'O' and makes it look like an 'e' if you aren't looking closely. I've never worn the tie again, and really it's my only beef with the logo. I liked the block letters on Sox caps in the 1960s, but they sure wouldn't look good on the current uniform. If they would amend the logo to space out the letters and avoid this problem, the cap would be a classic.

Colorado Rockies (solid black): A nice, respectable cap, neat lettering, easy to read from a distance. This cap is on its way to being a classic.

Florida Marlins: I like the Marlins, and I like that they were able to combine a graphic element and the letter in a neat way. I thought the team's original teal versions were very South Florida. But I always thought the black version just looked better.

Houston Astros (black): The Astros have had a star on their cap -- albeit with an 'H' -- since the name change. The 'H' was dropped, but a star remains, making this a Texas tradition. I didn't like this version at first, preferring the "star in motion" it replaced. But this is one design that has grown on me.

Houston Astros ("brick"): This is one alternate cap that looks good, possibly better than the main cap.

New York Mets (blue visor, black crown): I prefer the traditional, solid-blue version, but this cap looks good, especially with the solid-white uniforms. Raised dark blue letters are outlined in orange and can be a little dark.

Minnesota Twins (TC on solid navy blue): The classic Twin Cities cap was restored a couple years ago and warmly welcomed.

Oakland Athletics (gold visor, green crown): This cap has existed long enough that it qualifies as a tradition, though the green has darkened from the bright 1970s. Having an 'A' instead of an 'O' has been in place since the days of Connie Mack, though there was some KC activity in the 1960s.

Oakland Athletics (green): A solid road cap, if there must be such things.

Philadelphia Phillies (red): I considered elevating this cap to the classic level. It's not far from it.

St. Louis Cardinals (alternate): Old-schoolers -- and I tend to be one -- will howl, but I like this alternate cap better than the traditional cap. The bird on the bat logo just looks cool.

Texas Rangers (blue): A fine cap and certainly better than the one they wore from birth through the Ryan era. There's a version with a white 'T' and another with a red 'T' that are so similar that having the second version is hard to justify.

The Good

Arizona Diamondbacks (purple with 'A'): I'm not keen on purple as a cap color, but I like the Diamondbacks 'A' logo, which has snake scales and a little tongue as part of the 'A.'

Cincinnati Reds (black visor, red crown): A team called the Reds should have solid-red caps, and that version seems to be banished to alternate land. But this version still looks good.

Milwaukee Brewers: The problem with this cap isn't what it is, it's what it isn't. The 'M' is OK and the wheat a nice touch. But the whole world (at least it seems like it) is screaming for the team to bring back the classic ball-in-glove logo.

New York Mets (black): It's not bad as far as alternate black caps go. There's no reason for it to exist, but that alone doesn't make it ugly.

Pittsburgh Pirates (yellow bill): An alternate they wear with the black jerseys. Had the traditional cap not been a classic, this would be a worthy cap. At least it's better than the stovepipes.

The Just OK

Arizona Diamondbacks (black with 'D'): The logo, a snake shaped into a 'D,' isn't bad, but caps are supposed to have the letter of the home city not team name. And I just don't think black works as a color for a team from Phoenix.

Colorado Rockies (solid purple and black crown, purple bill): There's no real reason for either of these to exist. The team should stick with the solid-black version.

Minnesota Twins ('M' on solid navy blue): Like the jerseys they came with, the 'M' caps just kind of lay there. Not good enough to be good and not bad enough to end up on the ugly list.

St. Louis Cardinals (red and blue): Tough call here, because the Cardinals uniforms are Hall of Fame material. But while the jerseys are amazing, the caps fall as flat as the team's performance in the 2004 World Series. I know those are tough letters to work into something interesting, and I also realize this has been the team's logo forever. But it just doesn't do much for me.

San Diego Padres (white and gold letters): The interlocking SD is all that remains from that first Padres team, surviving some of the strangest jerseys ever worn. These are plain but don't offend.

Seattle Mariners: Not a horrible cap by any means. But the compass atop the 'S' makes things a little too busy for my tastes.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (all three versions): There are three large elements here, a 'T,' a 'B' and the ray, and it just looks too crowded. Some simplification is in order. Maybe have one with just the ray? I lump all three versions here because they differ only in color. But the shift is from black to dark green and really isn't that noticeable.

The Ugly

You'll notice a trend here. A lot of these caps have an element of black added in the past couple years and foisted on us to sell alternate caps.

Cincinnati Reds (red visor, black crown): Too dark, especially for a team called the Reds.

Cleveland Indians (solid blue and red visor): Opinions on this are going to rest on your opinion of Chief Wahoo. I've said he doesn't bother me, but I'm interviewed American Indians, and it really offends them. I haven't worn my Indians cap in a while because it makes me feel kind of funny, so I'm going to finally come down on the side that says it's time to retire Wahoo.

Cleveland Indians (a thing they claim is an 'I' logo): Based on the previous rant, my thinking is the Indians are trying to slowly distance themselves from Wahoo, and my guess is this will be the primary cap in a few years. But they can do better. I look at this logo and I see a 'G,' possibly a 'J,' maybe a 'T.' But unless they added to the alphabet Mrs. White taught me back in kindergarten, that is not an 'I.'

Kansas City Royals (black crown, blue bill): Another cap that exists just to have an alternate cap.

Oakland Athletics (black): Unlike the Mets' unnecessary black cap, this one actually is ugly. Dark lettering on a dark cap is a bad thing.

Minnesota Twins (TC with red crown): Not all retro things are cool. Some should be left on the scrap heap of history.

Philadelphia Phillies (blue bill, blue star in P): Just plain dumb. This screams, "We needed an alternate cap, and this was the best we could do."

Texas Rangers (black bill): Yet another design that exists just to have an alternate cap. The black bill doesn't work.

Toronto Blue Jays (black): Aside from being ugly, the logo is too darn big. This looks like a minor-league cap. And it's black. A team named Blue Jays needs to have blue as the dominant color in its uniform. The sad part is the Jays had excellent caps during their World Series run, with the solid-blue version getting the nod over the one with the white panel. And if they're going to have a letter on their cap, it needs to be a 'T' for Toronto instead of a 'J,' which I might add is only PART of the team name.

The Embarrassment to Humanity

Toronto Blue Jays (graphite): This is what happens when you turn your design completely over to the marketing types who apparently either don't know squat about baseball and its traditions or just don't give a damn.

RollyInRaleigh
04-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Good article, macro, but I can't believe that he doesn't rate the Cardinals classic cap higher than the likes of Houson, Colorado, Florida, Arizona, Milwaukee, and Texas.

macro
04-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I agreed with most of his choices, but I'm with you on the St Louis thing. He put both the Cards regular home and road caps in "The Just OK" category, while I would have put the red one in the classic category and the navy one in the Very Good category.

I especially agreed with most of his choices in The Ugly category. My vote for the worst transgression with regard to black would be the Rangers alternate, the one with the black bill. It looks absolutely horrible and out of place. Second place would go to the Mets black. Am I the only one who can't see the NY on those caps and helmets unless you're five feet away?

RollyInRaleigh
04-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Nope. The black thing has went completely overboard.

smith288
04-15-2005, 01:43 PM
I dont mind the Reds black and i dont think the author does. His beef is that they just arent following their nickname.

The Reds wear red socks...so its nothing more than reaching back to history and being "Red Legs". :D

Swampturkey
04-17-2005, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=macro]Yeah, I agreed with most of his choices, but I'm with you on the St Louis thing. He put both the Cards regular home and road caps in "The Just OK" category, while I would have put the red one in the classic category and the navy one in the Very Good category.
QUOTE]

I would agree. Not because I'm biased which I am ;) , but because I like caps that tell something about the team. Our stl red caps tell everyone where the team is from. I also like it because I can pick out a Cardinals cap anywhere because of the logo and the shape of the letters on it. It's nice to pick out a person in a large crowd wearing the cap of the city/team you love.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-12-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm watching the Bud Selig tribute game (ASG) tonight and started to get an appreciation for the Washington Nationals hats. Which got me thinking, which teams' hats do I like? Which ones do I not like?

Here are my top 5 (in no particular order):

1. Cincinnati Reds -- I love the red hat with black bill. I also like the 3D wishbone C that is on the hats today, as opposed to the "C" of the past. Very sharp.

2. Washington Nationals -- I love the script "W" and I even like the color.

3. San Franscisco Giants -- This actually might be my favorite. I love the interlocking "S" and "F" and I think orange and black look great together (Who Dey!).

4. Cleveland Indians -- I think Chief Wahoo is a great emblem for the Tribe and it looks great on the navy blue hats. I even like the script "I" hats that Cleveland wears on Sundays.

5. LA Dodgers -- The white LA pops out on the Dodger blue caps. It's a very clean cap without the gimicks.

Honorable mention: Detroit Tigers -- classic

Here's my botton 5:

1. Baltimore Orioles -- The bird looks like a chicken.

2. Houston Astros -- If that star is supposed to look like the letter "A"...it doesn't.

3. NY Mets -- Too many different versions of this hat, and none of them are any good. The black looks forced and the "NY" looks like a poor cousin of the more traditional Yankee "NY" -- kind of like the team.

4. Colorado Rockies -- I can't believe that this hat hasn't been tinkered with since the Rox started play. It's boring. With all the design opportunities that the Rocky Mountains offer, what's the deal with the boring "CR"?

5. Chicago White Sox -- Horrible. It's almost like this hat was designed to sell to gang members and not baseball fans. This gets my vote for worst MLB hat, hands down.

Honorable mention: Toronto Blue Jays -- Too busy, too clumsy.

paintmered
07-12-2005, 10:17 PM
My Top Five in no particular order

1. Cincinnati - I do wish they would go with an all red cap though.
2. Boston
3. St. Louis
4. NY Yankees
5. Minnesota

Honorable mention: Detroit, SF, LA, Washington

Teh Suck Hats

1. Milwaukee
2. Tampa Bay
3. Houston
4. Toronto
5. Mets

Honorable Mention: Chisox, Colorado, Florida

jmcclain19
07-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I'll go against the grain.

I really like the new Toronto Hats. As opposed to the former cartoonish bird/maple leaf setup. I actually picked up one of their batting practice caps, the gray with new logo on it. I think it's pretty slick, myself.

So my top five

1. Giants - R/F Fan said it best - simple, understated
2. Dodgers - Same reasons as the
3. Old Milwaukee Brewers - the glove with the ball in the middle - a classic, should have never changed
4. Minnesota's T/C - When I figured out as a little boy what the T/C meant, I wanted to tell everyone.
5. Athletics - Absolute classic - plus the yellow and green is a great combo.

1. Dbacks/Rockies - Purple should not be a usable sports color. Ever.
2. Mets - You're a team that's 40 years old. Lets come up with a tradition that doesn't steal from others.
3. Nationals Batting Pratice caps- Should have used the Senators W. And they should have been called the Senators too, BTW. Hopefully new ownership sees this. Looks like a 10 year old spent 5 minutes in Photoshop and came up with the logo.
4. Reds Home hats - Just say no to black. The team is called the "Reds", for goodness sake.
5. Royals Home hats - Same reason as the Reds - Royal blue is just fine, no need to ruin it by adding useless black.

RedsBaron
07-13-2005, 07:47 AM
I agree with everything he wrote regarding the Reds caps. The all red cap is classic ( have one), I like (and own) the black bill/red crown cap, and I don't care for the red bill/black crown cap.

RedFanAlways1966
07-13-2005, 07:50 AM
The Ugly
Cincinnati Reds (red visor, black crown): Too dark, especially for a team called the Reds.

Oh man... the hat that I wear! :(

cumberlandreds
07-13-2005, 08:02 AM
My wife looked for me a traditional Reds cap with the wishbone white C but couldn't find one for my birthday. I had to settle for the Red C and black cap. I really don't like the variations they come up with. But it's all about marketing and making more $$$$.

My top five:

Traditional Reds cap
Detroit
St. Louis
LA
NYY

The worst by far is Toronto's followed by TB's.

Blimpie
07-13-2005, 09:42 AM
4. Colorado Rockies -- I can't believe that this hat hasn't been tinkered with since the Rox started play. It's boring. With all the design opportunities that the Rocky Mountains offer, what's the deal with the boring "CR"?Everytime I see that symbol, I think back to the HBO special that Chris Rock had a few years back. The stage had a huge "CR" backdrop that was the same style and color as the Rockies.

OldRightHander
07-13-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned those striped ones the Pirates wore a few years back. I wonder where those would rate.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I really dislike anything but the all red caps. The black on the helmets look pretty ridiculous as well. I also think the sleeveless thing needs to go, as well as the pinstripes on the home uni's.

I would like to see them go back to an all white home uniform (with sleeves) and the all red hat and helmet, with black cleats (circa Big Red Machine Era).

It's clean and simple.

KronoRed
07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh man... the hat that I wear! :(

It's a good hat for fans, just not for them ;)

cumberlandreds
07-13-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned those striped ones the Pirates wore a few years back. I wonder where those would rate.
How about the striped ones the Reds wore a number of years ago.
Rob Dibble said he felt like an ice cream man when he wore that hat. I would agree too. But you know what I bought one of those and wore it.That's exactly what they want you to do.
I also had one of those Pirate caps. Man am I a sheep? :p:

remdog
07-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Personally, I like all of the Reds caps---even the ones that are predomintly black.

Some other favorites:
St. Louis. Like both caps but prefer the all red one.
LA (and I don't mean the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim!)
Baltimore. I just like the Oriole on the cap.
Cleveland. Love Chief Wahooo and don't give a rat's butt about being PC.
Yankees. What could be more classic----even if you hate the team.
San Francisco. The interlocking initials in orange on black simply look good.

One more thing: I love the Reds unis with the pinstripes and vest. Takes me back to when I first started following the Reds in the 50's. The 70's unis were a bad dress for the prom queen. (Translation: the best team in the land dressed as though they were trying to be dull and ordinary.)

Rem

dsmith421
07-13-2005, 01:43 PM
My wife looked for me a traditional Reds cap with the wishbone white C but couldn't find one for my birthday. I had to settle for the Red C and black cap. I really don't like the variations they come up with. But it's all about marketing and making more $$$$.

I found a New Era one (with the MLB logo at the back) at a Lids store in a mall in Cincinnati. I also know for a fact that you can get the all red in a more fitted version with the C-Reds logo in the back at Dick's and other places.

As for me, I like the Reds uniforms with just a couple tweaks. First, wear the all red caps home and away. Second, the shirts under the vest jerseys should always be red. Third, every player on the team should be required to wear high red socks, like Hudson and Wagner. If the team needs color contrast on the road, my preference would be to ditch black and go back to navy blue, as the team did during the 50s and 60s (I believe). I also would get rid of the numbers on the front of the away jerseys, which just look asymmetric.

I am a picky SOB.

BCubb2003
07-13-2005, 01:58 PM
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1667689dt.jpg

KronoRed
07-13-2005, 02:03 PM
/\
I have that hat, I like it..but the worst one is the black hat with the Gold C

Gold?!?

kyred14
07-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Wasn't there an all red cap giveaway about 3-4 years ago against the Dodgers, maybe? The whole black thing seemed ok when it first came out (I believe it was 1999, everything seemed ok that year) However, the black hat and road uniform kinda suck, now.

I wish they would go back to the all red cap, and dump those stupid black sleeves on the road. Someone should tell them that they are the Cincinnati REDS.

macro
07-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Since black is so cool and sells so much merchandise, I think the Reds and all teams should go with a color scheme like the cap BCubb posted -- black on black on black, with black trim.

On the subject of black, the Kansas City Royals will be eliminating the black from their uniforms next year. :clap: Maybe that will start a new trend, one away from black. :pray:

RollyInRaleigh
07-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Speaking of eliminating the "black," still hoping for a return of those '68-'71 era Reds uniforms.

KronoRed
07-13-2005, 08:33 PM
I just want the high socks :D

RedsBaron
07-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Speaking of eliminating the "black," still hoping for a return of those '68-'71 era Reds uniforms. :thumbup:

BuckeyeRedleg
07-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Speaking of eliminating the "black," still hoping for a return of those '68-'71 era Reds uniforms.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

MWM
07-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Maybe I have poor taste, but I love the 1950s Reds cap that was revived in the mid-90s with the Red bill and white top with red pin stripes.

Here it is:

http://www.sportsartifacts.com/auwerberhat.JPG

jmcclain19
07-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Maybe I have poor taste, but I love the 1950s Reds cap that was revived in the mid-90s with the Red bill and white top with red pin stripes.

Here it is:

That's a classic. I remember when MLB first started offering Cooperstown style caps, that was the first one I picked up.

MWM
07-14-2005, 12:09 AM
That's a classic. I remember when MLB first started offering Cooperstown style caps, that was the first one I picked up.

I had one for the longest time. I finally had to retire it. It looked a lot like Steve Kline's hats.

MWM
07-14-2005, 12:11 AM
Here's an all-time classic.

http://www.mickeysplace.com/images/hcmon91.jpg

remdog
07-14-2005, 12:13 AM

As in classically ugly.

Rem

KronoRed
07-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Agreed.

The Expos were doomed from the start, look at that logo! what IS an expo??

jmcclain19
07-14-2005, 01:00 AM
what IS an expo??

Youppi is an Expo

http://www.webruler.com/catspride/photos/youppi.jpg

KronoRed
07-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Did he eat the team? :help:

macro
07-14-2005, 01:11 AM
Oh, man, I loved that Expos cap! Seriously!

I also loved this one from the Padres (well, actually the one before this, before they added the orange outline stripe and orange airholes)...

http://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-823738reg.jpg
...and this one is my all-time favorite...
http://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-823693reg.jpg
Others I really liked:
http://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-109664reg.jpghttp://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-108170reg.jpghttp://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1559594reg.jpghttp://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-109654reg.jpghttp://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1338345reg.jpghttp://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1629968reg.jpg
If you'll notice, every one of those caps has two things in common: 1) they're from the mid-70s when I first started following baseball, collecting cards, and studying and admiring the uniforms, caps, and helmets of the teams and 2) they're colorful. I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to baseball uniforms. I don't like alternate jerseys and the proliferation of black, for example. But I really loved the bright colors of the 70s.

Yes, some teams went way overboard (Padres, Pirates, Astros, Indians Bloody Mary, etc.), but the earlier versions of these teams uniforms (early 70s, before they went wild) looked very nice. There's WAY too much black and navy in the game today. It's good to see some teams starting to go the other way and introduce bright colors once again.

Have you noticed the Orioles uniforms lately? They've switched from black lettering to orange, and wear the orange-billed caps much more often than they used to. (Now, if they'd just go ahead and paint the orange bill on their helmets and make that the primary...) And the Red Sox have brought red back to their uniforms in a big way, replacing all the navy. As I mentioned before, the Royals are dumping their black next year in favor of golden yellow trim to go with their royal blue.

Color is good, as long as it's done properly, and that means within the confines of an all-white or all-gray uniform.

westofyou
01-31-2007, 01:08 PM
http://www.neweracap.com/images/cap_images/5273_CincinnatiReds_LG.png

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

We each have our little area of interests, and one of mine is uniforms, and more importantly, baseball caps. Here's one of the new Reds hats not shown at the Redsfest fashion show. This is the new batting practice cap, and that silly black splotch on the side is part of the new template from New Era for all MLB's BP hats, and count me among those who don't quite like it.

Now, I know, this is kind of odd, but I actually like the BP hats as a concept. I like the material and the fit. I have a couple and they do breathe better and I usually wear one for my softball games. In fact, I have one in my softball bag right now. I'm going to be interested to see how his new 3930 model feels, but I can't support the silly side panel thing. Even the Yankees have one, and they've been the one team that's resisted messing with any of their caps.

That said, I'm also not a big fan of the red C. I would prefer it to just be white -- when in doubt, especially in baseball and college football, always go traditional.

Here are all the caps. I think it should tell you something when the only one that doesn't look odd and out of place is the Devil Rays. (Actually, the Red Sox blue hat and the Angels did it right, too)

pedro
01-31-2007, 01:13 PM
I have one of these.

http://www.sun-inet.or.jp/~mlbddf/braves_cap.jpg

Chip R
01-31-2007, 01:31 PM
I have one of these.

http://www.sun-inet.or.jp/~mlbddf/braves_cap.jpg

Did Phil Niekro leave you that in his will?

Heath
01-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Did Phil Niekro leave you that in his will?

It was Rico Carty or Ralph Garr.

Put me down for a "ugh" on the Reds BP cap.

pedro
01-31-2007, 01:42 PM
not that I'd wear it.

Johnny Footstool
01-31-2007, 01:54 PM
I prefer the Reds black cap with red bill.

I think tradition is nice, but it's preferable to break from tradition once in a while.

RedsManRick
01-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Red cap, red bill, white C. The end.

RollyInRaleigh
01-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Amen.

That BP cap is ugly, by the way.

remdog
01-31-2007, 02:44 PM
I prefer the Reds black cap with red bill.

I think tradition is nice, but it's preferable to break from tradition once in a while.

Right there with ya', Johnny.

Rem

Reds Fanatic
01-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Along with that new BP cap you can see the new BP jersey here:

http://www.majesticathletic.com/img/A6800-Cool-Base-BP-Jersey-On%20Field.jpg

jimbo
01-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Red cap, red bill, white C. The end.

Ding ding ding........we have a winner! :rockband:

Eric_Davis
02-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I've only watched about 2000 Mariners games in my life.

There's a compass atop the "S"?

It's better than fork.

Guess that speaks for itself about the logo.

Yachtzee
02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
I've only watched about 2000 Mariners games in my life.

There's a compass atop the "S"?

It's better than fork.

Guess that speaks for itself about the logo.

I always liked the trident "M" logo. I actually bought a hat with this logo when I visited Seattle a year and a half ago. The current logo is nice. The worst was the blue and yellow with just the "S" on top. It looked more like a hat that a grocery bagger would wear. "Welcome to the Seattle Safeway. We have the freshest produce in town."

Here's an example.

http://www.beckett.com/images/itemimages/scrnwrtr/scrnwrtr42168645.jpg

Yachtzee
02-01-2007, 03:39 PM

I found it clever how they worked M-e-b (Montreal Expos Baseball) into the logo.

RollyInRaleigh
02-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I thought it was just a stylized "M".

macro
02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I thought it was just a stylized "M".

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Expos) offers Yachtzee's theory (see sidebar), but the Chris Creamer site (http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=1211) says the following:

The rouge, blanc et bleu logo of the Montreal Expos was more then just a catchy little image, there was actually meaning behind many aspects of the logo. Although its true meaning is widely debated the Montreal Expos have only ever offered one story behind the logo. It is an 'eMb', which stands for 'Expos de Montréal Baseball', the 'e' in red, the 'M' half in white and half in blue, and a 'b' in blue. This eMb logo remained in use by the club until their move to Washington in 2005.

Yachtzee
02-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Expos) offers Yachtzee's theory (see sidebar), but the Chris Creamer site (http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=1211) says the following:

Yeah, I've heard it both ways and I think the French is probably more correct. I just used the English because 1) I wasn't about to attempt the French; and 2) they mean the relatively the same thing.

Yachtzee
02-01-2007, 11:15 PM
On a side note, I couldn't believe that my own brother, baseball fan that he is, never realized until last year that the old Milwaukee Brewers logo not only represented a mit catching a ball, but was also composed of the letters "m" and "b."

BuckWoody
02-02-2007, 08:46 AM

I've always really liked this design for some reason. The color scheme is good and I like the incorporation of the "M" and "e" and "b" all in one neat design. Call me odd but I always saw the "e" with a cursive "X" next to it as well, even though that isn't in any of the posted explanations

I actually bought the batting helmet at a Reds game once when I was in Junior High and wore it quite a bit. It was more out of a desire to be "different and unique" than out of any fondness for the Expos. I was a newly minted teenager and could be following the flock now could I? :p:

westofyou
02-02-2007, 10:13 AM
On a side note, I couldn't believe that my own brother, baseball fan that he is, never realized until last year that the old Milwaukee Brewers logo not only represented a mit catching a ball, but was also composed of the letters "m" and "b."

One of the most recognizable logos in sports, the Milwaukee Brewers yellow and blue mitt logo was introduced in Winter 1977 and adorned Brewers caps for the 16 greatest seasons in club history. The logo was selected among more than 2,000 entries from both professional and amateur designers in an open contest in October and November 1977. Tom Meindel, an Art History student at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, designed the logo and earned the $2,000 first prize. The logo combines the lower case letters "m" and "b", the club's initials, to form a baseball glove.

westofyou
02-20-2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2007-02-19-baseball-caps-focus_x.htm

Baseball caps to have new feel
By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY
A pitcher stands on the mound in the August sun, tugging at the bill of his sweat-soaked cap, stained white with the salt of his labors.

That might be an image of the past if Major League Baseball's new caps work according to plan.

Big-league caps traditionally have been made of 100% wool. The new caps, debuting opening day, look just like the old ones despite being 100% polyester.

MLB and its cap manufacturer, New Era, say the new fabric is designed to "wick" away sweat and evaporate it while reducing the stains, odor, shrinkage and fading that come with wool.

Most players haven't donned the new caps, but opinions are forming.

"Some of the guys might want to keep the old ones," Chicago White Sox catcher Toby Hall says. "You see some guys out there with their sweat rings, some hats that have (faded and) turned pink. They don't want to get rid of them."

But White Sox outfielder Darin Erstad says, "I like the old school as much as everybody does, but technology has shown its face in every facet of life. So why not reap the benefit of it? ... We'll find out when it's 100 degrees and the sweat's wicking its way from my head onto the hat. Then we'll know how good it is."

Technology evolution

According to the National Baseball Hall of Fame website, flannel uniforms, made from a wool-cotton blend, were the norm in the big leagues well into the 1940s. Then came lighter blends of wool and synthetic fibers. In 1970, the Pittsburgh Pirates introduced double-knits, which became the standard.

There has been evolution in caps, too. In the 1950s, the tops of the caps went from eight panels stitched together to six. But caps remained wool — until now, with these new caps made at plants in the Buffalo suburb of Derby, and Demopolis and Jackson in western Alabama.

"Although it's going to look very similar on the field ... it really is the first time we've kind of taken the thing and completely re-engineered it," says John DeWaal, New Era's vice president of global marketing.

In the old caps, the bottom of the brim was light gray. In the new caps, it is black, aimed at reducing glare. The cloth headband inside the cap, also advertised as new and improved for removing moisture, has gone from white to black.

Wicking technology has been used in an array of sports apparel but "it's new for us, and it was unique for us in that it's headwear," DeWaal says. "But the properties are similar to some of the other products that you see out there."

Howard Smith, senior vice president/licensing for MLB Properties, says the change is in keeping with Commissioner Bud Selig's focus on "getting our athletes the best product we can." MLB also was careful not to change the look.

"The proof is in the pudding. ... If you look at two Yankee hats (old and new) or two Pittsburgh Pirates hats side by side, in the absence of looking at the brim, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference," Smith says.

Steve Vucinich, equipment manger of the Oakland A's, says the black bottom of the new brims might require some adjusting for players who like to write inspirational words in black ink.

But Vucinich, who saw about a half dozen A's test the new caps during games over the past two seasons, welcomes the switch. He says on hot days he would notice sweat "pouring" down the sides of players' faces, particularly pitchers, under the old caps.

"Where the bills connect to the hat on the right side and left side, it would mostly drip off there," Vucinich says. "With this wicking, you don't see that at all."

Vucinich says he did a demonstration of moisture management with some of the players who tested the caps. He spilled a few drops of water on the old and new caps.

The droplets tended to bead up on the old caps. With the new caps, the droplets spread out over the fabric.

"It draws the moisture away from your head, and it leads to evaporation a lot quicker," Smith says.

Batting practice 'do-rag'

The new hats won't be used until opening day. New Era, though, has a new line of batting practice caps, and they are being worn in spring training.

The batting practice caps are "stretch fit," not individually sized like the regular-season caps, and sell for $28. They are 62% polyester, 38% wool, also billed as having wicking properties. A stretch band is visible on each side of the cap above the ear.

"I'm not a big fan of them," Atlanta Braves pitcher Tim Hudson says of the new batting practice caps. "They have that little different color-flap (the stretch band) above the ear and it looks like everybody is running around with a do-rag under the hat."

That's the look until opening day. Once the season starts, Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Orlando Hudson says his focus will be on his performance, not his cap.

"As long as I catch the ball behind my pitchers, make plays and get the important outs, that's the big thing," Hudson says. "I don't think the hat is going to help the ball stay in the glove."

He jokingly adds, "If I boot it and it's the hat's fault, I'll tell you after the game, 'It had to be the hat.' "

macro
02-20-2007, 10:56 AM
"The proof is in the pudding. ... If you look at two Yankee hats (old and new) or two Pittsburgh Pirates hats side by side, in the absence of looking at the brim, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference," Smith says.

I know Randy will be happy to hear this!

The batting practice caps are "stretch fit," not individually sized like the regular-season caps, and sell for $28. They are 62% polyester, 38% wool, also billed as having wicking properties. A stretch band is visible on each side of the cap above the ear.

Here's the stretch band they're referring to. Check out the sides:

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000MSXSFY.01-A3AHCMBQDRSEI1._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000MT1M5G.01-A3AHCMBQDRSEI1._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

...and while we're on the subject of 2007-model batting practice caps, this one gets my vote for the best of the bunch. Does anyone else find this to be a tremendous improvement over what the Angels wear in games? It's new and modern with the new logo, yet honors the frachise's history of navy caps with red bills:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000MSXRSW.01-A3AHCMBQDRSEI1._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You can check out all the new batting practice caps here (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_a/105-9755562-4895623?url=search-alias%3Dapparel&field-keywords=2007+batting+practice+cap&Go.x=6&Go.y=7&Go=Go).

RollyInRaleigh
02-20-2007, 11:06 AM
While I really like the wool caps, I am glad that they have not gone completely crazy with the new caps. The Reds actually wore polyester caps for a couple of seasons when they were wearing the white pinstriped caps with the red bills because the wool ones faded so badly. I have one of those and it isn't a bad cap. The white is much "whiter" than the wool caps. I'm not a big fan of the black undervisior and sweat band. I think major league baseball had an alterior motive with that as they didn't like the messages being written on the undervisors. They do make silver pens, Bud.:rolleyes:

dsmith421
02-20-2007, 11:48 AM
The BP cap is simply horrible. The jersey wouldn't be bad, but when you throw on the new font for the back it's awful as well.

Seriously, why not just wear the new uniforms for spring training?

Yachtzee
02-20-2007, 03:18 PM
While I really like the wool caps, I am glad that they have not gone completely crazy with the new caps. The Reds actually wore polyester caps for a couple of seasons when they were wearing the white pinstriped caps with the red bills because the wool ones faded so badly. I have one of those and it isn't a bad cap. The white is much "whiter" than the wool caps. I'm not a big fan of the black undervisior and sweat band. I think major league baseball had an alterior motive with that as they didn't like the messages being written on the undervisors. They do make silver pens, Bud.:rolleyes:

I had a feeling the black undervisor was to prevent "unsightly" writing on players' caps. If they want to get rid of something ugly regarding uniforms, get rid of the "pajama pants" look.

If they got rid of the different color on the side panels, the Angels BP cap would be fantastic. I also really wish the Reds hadn't chosen to go with the red C on a red hat. If they wanted to do an alt look, since the BP jerseys are red, I would have tried out a white or gray hat with a red C for the BP hat.

RollyInRaleigh
02-20-2007, 04:18 PM
If the Reds are smart, this is the only season for that cap.

macro
02-20-2007, 11:54 PM
If the Reds are smart, this is the only season for that cap.

One can only hope! That thing is the ugliest Reds cap ever worn by the players. What were they thinking?

RollyInRaleigh
02-21-2007, 05:53 AM
The wishbone "C" even looks too large. They missed all the way around on this cap.

remdog
02-21-2007, 09:56 AM
You just have to keep in mind that this was 'designed by Bud'. All of the ST caps look goofy (oh heck, I'll say it----they all look like crap). It's all part of the homogenization of MLB. Every team will march in lockstep! Even if it is ugly lockstep. :rolleyes:

It sort of reminds me of when every team produced their own website. You had some good ones and you had some bad ones. I used to enjoy visiting the different sites simply for the way they were designed. Now, except for content, they all look the same.

Rem