PDA

View Full Version : Our bullpen in 2007

AmarilloRed
08-16-2007, 07:46 PM
This is my best suggestion for fixing the bullpen. Simply have the people with sub -4.00 eras in the bullpen. Coutlangas 3.93, Jared Burton 3.20, Brad Salmon 3.92, Bill Bray 2.70 and David Weathers 3.71 should be fixtures in the bullpen the rest of this year and next year. Marcus McBeth has a 1.59 era this year in the minors, so i would give him another shot. He did not do well the first time around, but maybe he will do better in September.Everyone else-Majewski, Guardado, Stanton, and all the others should be released, banished to AA or traded. Relievers who have proven they can handle major league hitters should be on the team, not in AAA. Just a simple suggestion to Wayne Krivsky. In a later post I will recommend where they should pitch in the bullpen. I have not yet decided who should handle long relief.

I would think Belisle would be ideal for long relief. I would have Salmon and Coutlangas in the 6th inning, Burton and Bray in the 7th and 8th, and Weathers as the closer until Bray or Burton are ready to assume the role. If McBeth comes around I would fit him where he was most effective.

jamess697
08-16-2007, 07:51 PM
I know everyone is sick of seeing the continued poor performance out of our bullpen. So I propose letting all of the young kids lose games instead of these 35+. So I say cut Stanton and Santos. Admit you made a horrid trade and send Majic back to AAA, leave Coffey in AAA until he learns how to throw a secondary pitch.

This would be my bullpen right now

LHP Bill Bray-24 years old
LHP Jon Coutlangus-26 years old
LHP Mike Gosling-27 years old
RHP Brad Salmon-27 years old
RHP Jared Burton-26 years old
RHP Marcus McBeth-26 years old
RHP David Weathers-the only exception to my rule

Degenerate39
08-16-2007, 07:54 PM
I know everyone is sick of seeing the continued poor performance out of our bullpen. So I propose letting all of the young kids lose games instead of these 35+. So I say cut Stanton and Santos. Admit you made a horrid trade and send Majic back to AAA, leave Coffey in AAA until he learns how to throw a secondary pitch.

This would be my bullpen right now

LHP Bill Bray-24 years old
LHP Jon Coutlangus-26 years old
LHP Mike Gosling-27 years old
RHP Brad Salmon-27 years old
RHP Jared Burton-26 years old
RHP Marcus McBeth-26 years old
RHP David Weathers-the only exception to my rule

I agree with all of that except I would probably get rid of Gosling

GoReds33
08-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah. Gosling should be gone. I would like to see Coutlangus start a little bit.

GoReds33
08-16-2007, 08:11 PM
I would put Coutlangus in long relief. Maybe he could start, but they need him in the pen right now.

AmarilloRed
08-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Gosling does have a 4.18 era this year, but he gives up more hits to innings. He has given up 30 hits in 23 innings, and he also walks a lot. He has walked 21 in 23 innings. He would need to improve in 2008 to stay in the bullpen.

GoReds33
08-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Gosling does have a 4.18 era this year, but he gives up more hits to innings. He has given up 30 hits in 23 innings, and he also walks a lot. He has walked 21 in 23 innings. He would need to improve in 2008 to stay in the bullpen.Defenitly. I like him. I just don't think that he should be in the long term plans of this team.:beerme:

AmarilloRed
08-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Elaborate on that ,GoReds 33. Why don't you think he should be in the long-term plans of the Reds? Did he run over your kitten or something as a child?:D

GoReds33
08-16-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't think he should be in the long term plans because he is not ever going to be a great pitcher. He might turn out to be average. To get this franchise in the right direction we need to get players who have great potential. Thats all I'm sayin. Look at the stats you already put up here. He can't have a whip over 2 in MLB. That is not the mark of a good pitcher. Set the sights high.

muethibp
08-16-2007, 09:36 PM
I don't know why it's so hard for management to see what everyone in this thread sees so clearly. When there are younger, cheaper and more talented options available, they should be in the bullpen. End of discussion.

GoReds33
08-16-2007, 09:44 PM
I don't know why it's so hard for management to see what everyone in this thread sees so clearly. When there are younger, cheaper and more talented options available, they should be in the bullpen. End of discussion.
ABSOLUTLY!!! Its a big mystery.:confused:

AmarilloRed
08-16-2007, 09:47 PM
I have an idea. Krivsky signed Stanton in the off-season, he traded for Majewski and Guardado, and he traded Germano for Chormier. Wayne has a bit of ego involved that his pick-ups are shown to be effective relievers. He will make a move if they are shown to be totally unacceptable like Coffey and his 6.04 era; but I fear he prefers older less talented relievers to younger more effective ones.

UPRedsFan
08-17-2007, 10:55 AM
None of this will happen. Here's my guess. In a lost season they are trying to give Guardado, Stanton and Majewski some innings to help drive off season decision. They've got to make a business decision on these guys. If they continue to pitch poorly, they will be released - Might get a chance to pitch their way onto the team next spring but they'll have to earn it. If they pitch well the rest of the way, they can be salvaged and traded for something. I'm hoping for the latter - i.e. at least there's a shot that Stanton could attract some interest from someone in September.

In '08 I agree. I want to see McBeth, Salmon, Coutlangus, Bray, Burton and Weathers

AmarilloRed
08-17-2007, 12:46 PM
You can make a case that Krivsky is showcasing Guardado and Majewski, as they at least have demonstated past success. He may be looking to trade them, or he might be seeing if they have any chance of being effective relievers for the team next year .It should be clear to most observers by now that Stanton is over the hill and has little chance of bringing much in a trade. An A player, perhaps. Krivsky should just DFA him and see if a trade can be done that way.