PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Predictions

MWM
08-19-2007, 11:03 PM
How many games will the Bengals win this year?

I say another 8-8 or 9-7 season. My official prediction will be 9-7. I'd love to be more optimistic, but after watching the defense so far, and knowing the actual performance of the defense last year with little in the way of better players or coaching, I can't believe this is a playoff team.

The window for this great offense won't be open forever. It's definitely better now than it was for the decade pre-Marvin, but in a way it's more painful because they're so close yet they're not doing anything substantive to fix the defense. A little bit of pass rush, and this team could win the Super Bowl. But they do nothing. So while it's better than the 90s and early 21st century, it's the same in some regards and more tortuous in the process.

paintmered
08-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Sadly, I agree with your assessment of the team from what I've seen the first two preseason games. I'd put the Bengals somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6. The good thing is, the schedule is less daunting than it was last year. What is worse is that the defense might have been serviceable if Odell and Pollack were still playing. David Pollack was starting to come into his own when he broke his neck. There's no excuse for Odell's problems, as he has only himself to blame.

I'm starting to think that if Marvin doesn't get to the playoffs this season, there will be rumblings for his job. Also, pray that Carson doesn't get hurt because Doug Johnson is quite possibly the worst backup QB in the league. He's looked brutal so far. I do like what I see out of the 3rd string QB, however.

sonny
08-19-2007, 11:22 PM
In a way it is more difficult to be on the precipus of greatness, but not quite doing what it takes to get there. At least in the 90's losing 11-13 games made the 3-5 wins seem all that much better.

The D line seems to be the least of our worries on D. Our defense against the pass is horrendus. The little slant routes will kill us this year and opposing teams will exploit that.

The O did not look that great this last game, but I'm "not too worried about it." We'll put up some points, but teams who arte in constant shootouts rarely acheive greatness.

Sonny's official prediction: 10-6

Degenerate39
08-19-2007, 11:23 PM
I think they'll be 11-5.

Here's their schedule for anyone interested or just too lazy to look, which would normally be me:

Regular Season
Mon 9/10 Baltimore 7:00 pm
Sun 9/16 at Cleveland 1:00 pm
Sun 9/23 at Seattle 4:05 pm
Mon 10/1 New England 8:30 pm
bye
Sun 10/14 at Kansas City 1:00 pm
Sun 10/21 NY Jets 4:05 pm
Sun 10/28 Pittsburgh 1:00 pm
Sun 11/4 at Buffalo 1:00 pm
Sun 11/11 at Baltimore 4:05 pm
Sun 11/18 Arizona 1:00 pm
Sun 11/25 Tennessee 1:00 pm
Sun 12/2 at Pittsburgh 8:15 pm
Sun 12/9 St. Louis 1:00 pm
Sat 12/15 at San Francisco 8:15 pm
Sun 12/23 Cleveland 1:00 pm
Sun 12/30 at Miami 1:00 pm

BearcatShane
I'll say 11-5. Obviosuly I have not been impressed by their play thus far in the preseason but I just feel the offence can carry this team to alot of wins. The schedule is fairly easy and I think once we get to the regular season the defence can be ok. Hopefully.

Here's how I see the season playing out:

BALTIMORE- Win
Cleveland- Win
Seattle- Win
NEW ENGLAND- Loss
Kansas City- Loss
NEW YORK JETS- Win
PITTSBURGH- Win
Buffalo- Win
Baltimore- Loss
ARIZONA- Win
TENNESSE- Win
Pittsburgh- Loss
SAINT LOUIS- Loss
San Francisco- Win
CLEVELAND- Win
Miami- Win

sonny
Also, pray that Carson doesn't get hurt because Brad Johnson is quite possibly the worst backup QB in the league. He's looked brutal so far. I do like what I see out of the 3rd string QB, however.

Doug Johnson is pretty bad too. ;)

MWM
08-19-2007, 11:25 PM
The D line seems to be the least of our worries on D. Our defense against the pass is horrendus.

I think the bad pass defense is a result of the NON-EXISTENT pass rush. If they could get even a little pressure on the QB, I think the secondary would be pretty good, actually.

cincrazy
08-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I want to be optimistic, but I can't. I'll go 8-8. Yeah, the offense has some pieces, but with no Chris Henry for a half a season, and no Willie Anderson or Levi Jones for who knows how long, this offense will be out of rhythm for quite a while. And everything I could say about this defense has already been said in this thread. It's sad really. Our stars are reaching their 30's, and we're really no closer today to winning a Super Bowl than we were two or three years ago.

camisadelgolf
08-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm going with 11-5, but if they're as healthy as they were in 2005, I'll say 13-3.

paintmered
08-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Doug Johnson is pretty bad too. ;)

Whoops. Doug is the Johnson that's actually a decent QB. I'll try to get it right next time. :)

Reds Freak
08-19-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm going to go with 10-6. Obviously they looked bad against the Saints but folks forget the starters looked pretty sharp against the Lions in the first preseason game, their scrubs just gave up a bunch of points at the end. Besides, last year the Bengals went 4-0 in the preseason and looked unbeatable and we all know how that turned out. Don't lose hope after two preseason games...

TeamSelig
08-20-2007, 12:05 AM
I think 9-11 wins is about right, probably somewhere near 10 wins.

Screwball
08-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Whoops. Doug is the Johnson that's actually a decent QB. I'll try to get it right next time. :)

Almost. I think you meant to say Brad there.

uoduck1017
08-20-2007, 01:57 AM
I want to be optimistic, but I can't. I'll go 8-8. Yeah, the offense has some pieces, but with no Chris Henry for a half a season, and no Willie Anderson or Levi Jones for who knows how long, this offense will be out of rhythm for quite a while. And everything I could say about this defense has already been said in this thread. It's sad really. Our stars are reaching their 30's, and we're really no closer today to winning a Super Bowl than we were two or three years ago.

It's tough to get much Bengals coverage out here in Oregon. What happened to Levi and Willie? If they miss a significant amount of time that could be a huge detriment to the team's chances this year.

camisadelgolf
08-20-2007, 04:08 AM
Levi Jones has been having trouble with his knee, but it looks like things are finally getting better, so I expect him to be 100% (or very close to it) when the season starts. However, Willie Anderson's foot problem stems from last year. If the training staff diagnosed the problem correctly, Anderson would've had surgery immediately after last year, but only recently did they discover what the real problem is (and they're being very cryptic about it). The tried a procedure that Anderson described as some kind of shock treatment, and supposedly, Anderson has a 60% chance of being able to play on his foot the way it is. If the procedure is unsuccessful, he will probably miss a huge chunk of the year or more.

LoganBuck
08-20-2007, 07:30 AM
This team has no explosiveness at running back. Johnson is fine as your workman type running back, but he looks a step slower. Last year he didn't break any long runs, and he looks slower this year. This team will miss Kenny Irons, and even Chris Perry.

No backup QB

Limited Pass rush

A bunch of "potential" at LB

Another porous secondary

A pair of bookend tackles in the infirmary

I am not real high on their chances.

bucksfan2
08-20-2007, 08:44 AM
I think this club is right around 10-6 give or take a game. I know its been the popular theme of this offseason to pick the bengals to be right in the middle of the pack and putting both Baltimore and Pittsburgh ahead of them but I just don't see that. The Defense will be better than last year. But I also see Baltimore as a team who has nothing on offense and a defense that continues to age. Pittsburgh will have a poor season this year because of the new head coach and Big Ben as QB. The defense also won't be as dominant as they have in the past.

I am not too worried about the OLine. Apparently Levi is running and getting into playing shape but the biggest problem he will have is getting that knee in shape at his weight. He is trying to get into game condition and I would be willing to bet the bengals would rather have him sit the entire pre season then risk him to injury in a game that doesn't count. Levi is more important that Willie because Levi plays blindside. Willie is a great O lineman but missing him for a few games won't cripple this team like losing Levi for an extended period.

Too much is made about the preseason. True it is disappointing to see the bengals not score td's and kick field goals but I would be even more disappointed to see them use a play that they intend on using in the regular season. I hate watching the defensive backs sit back 10 yards from scrimage but it is basic defensive formation and hopefully that will change when the season starts.

Ahmed Brooks. It is disappointing to hear people harp about every time he is out of position on a play in the preseason. People have to realize that this is his first true season at MLB. He has that dreaded word "potential" and I think he will progress the entire season.

Much is being made about missing Henry and how they will suffer through the first 8 games of the season. I look at it differently, how nice is it going to be to have both Henry and Perry giving the team a boost at around the middle of the season?

wheels
08-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I also wouldn't make judgements about the secondary just yet. They're pretty banged up, and have oft times been using safties at corner.

If they get Joseph, O'neill, The Rookie, and Ratliff all healthy at the same time, to go along with Williams and Jackson, that secondary will look much better. It's not quite the time to be judging them when we're seeing the likes of Harena Daze Jones logging substantial playing time.

Levi will be back soon, but it looks like Willie might be done. That's a concern, but they've been lauding the efforts of the entire offensive line corps for their work in the offseason, so it's someone's time to step up, be it Kooistra (who I'm not sold on), or Andrew Whitworth (who I think is the best solution).

Carson Palmer at 100% will be the big difference on offense, and I think Tab Perry will do just fine at #3 WR. I am worried about the running back situation, though.

I think they've got the horses to go 11-5. Sure, there are questions, but this team was two freak plays away from being 10-6, with lots of things working against them last year.

Reds Fanatic
08-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I predict 9-7. This team is already suffering through injuries and as others have pointed out this team is not deep. There is no good backup QB, the running backs after Rudi are weak until Perry maybe comes back which would be week 7 at the earliest. I would not count on a lot of production from the #3 WR until Henry gets back the second half. Defensively this team still lacks a solid pash rusher. This team also needs a new defensive coordinator.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-20-2007, 10:44 AM
8-8

The D is still a joke. I think it was a bad decision to go RB in round 2 with such a weak D.

The front 7 has to be one of the worst in the NFL. Great job building that D, Marvin!

Cedric
08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
8-8 and only because of a decent schedule.

Until Marvin stops drafting CB and RB in the first 2 rounds we are in deep trouble. Nothing in the NFL matters but the front 7 and everyone seems to know that but Marvin.

texasdave
08-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Wasn't Marvin Lewis supposed to be some sort of defensive guru when coming up through the coaching ranks? If that is true, it seems odd that these Bengal teams have such poor defenses. I know a coach needs the horses, but I still feel the Bengal D should be further along.

gonelong
08-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I see 10-6 barring no major injuries to Chad, TJ, Rudy, Carson, or more than 1 offensive lineman.

I have no idea what to expect out of the defense. I think in some games they will hold their own, causing some turnovers. I think in other games they will be run over with frightening regularity.

GL

cincrazy
08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I think this club is right around 10-6 give or take a game. I know its been the popular theme of this offseason to pick the bengals to be right in the middle of the pack and putting both Baltimore and Pittsburgh ahead of them but I just don't see that. The Defense will be better than last year. But I also see Baltimore as a team who has nothing on offense and a defense that continues to age. Pittsburgh will have a poor season this year because of the new head coach and Big Ben as QB. The defense also won't be as dominant as they have in the past.

I am not too worried about the OLine. Apparently Levi is running and getting into playing shape but the biggest problem he will have is getting that knee in shape at his weight. He is trying to get into game condition and I would be willing to bet the bengals would rather have him sit the entire pre season then risk him to injury in a game that doesn't count. Levi is more important that Willie because Levi plays blindside. Willie is a great O lineman but missing him for a few games won't cripple this team like losing Levi for an extended period.

Too much is made about the preseason. True it is disappointing to see the bengals not score td's and kick field goals but I would be even more disappointed to see them use a play that they intend on using in the regular season. I hate watching the defensive backs sit back 10 yards from scrimage but it is basic defensive formation and hopefully that will change when the season starts.

Ahmed Brooks. It is disappointing to hear people harp about every time he is out of position on a play in the preseason. People have to realize that this is his first true season at MLB. He has that dreaded word "potential" and I think he will progress the entire season.

Much is being made about missing Henry and how they will suffer through the first 8 games of the season. I look at it differently, how nice is it going to be to have both Henry and Perry giving the team a boost at around the middle of the season?

Wille Anderson has been the cornerstone of that O-Line for many, many years. Not only is he the leader of that line, but he's a leader in the locker room, and losing him for any stretch hurts us, despite the fact that he's not protecting Carson's blind side. When Palmer was stripped of the ball in New Orleans, Scott Kooistra, Anderson's replacement, is the one that got beat, so it's a definite concern in my eyes. Levi should be back, but who knows how the knee will respond over time.

This team had a patch work line last year and it sank us. The secondary is banged up, and Brooks at MLB isn't going to pay off immediately. The guy is hardly even tackling anyone, let alone making big plays. The D-Line isn't pitiful, but it's average at best, and it's not going to be enough to save this defense.

It's conceivable that this team could make the playoffs, but are we good enough to beat a team with LT? A team with Peyton Manning? A team with Tom Brady? No, no, and no.

sonny
08-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Until we bolster our front seven, the Bengals will always be just a "good" team.

Cyclone792
08-21-2007, 12:13 AM
I have no idea what to expect out of the defense. It could shock everyone and perform very well, or it could be more of the same from last season and disappoint with the lack of a pass rush.

Offensively, the team will be able to light up the scoreboard, but the loss of Irons and Anderson could also hurt a bit. If the defense gets knocked around, some games may find the offense just trying to do everything it can to outscore the opposition in a shootout.

I could realistically see this team going anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5. If they win more than 11 games, I'll be pleasantly shocked. If they win fewer than 8 games, I'll be flat disappointed.

My official prediction: 9-7

Redsfaithful
08-21-2007, 06:45 AM
For everyone saying there's no depth at running back, I really don't have a problem with Kenny Watson as the backup.

The schedule is light years easier this year. Wheels you say they were two freak plays from being 10-6, but really they were pretty close to potentially being 11-5 (missed field goal at the end of regulation vs. Pittsburgh, the Denver extra point, and the ridiculous roughing the passer call at the end of the Tampa Bay game).

The secondary could be pretty decent by the end of the year if Hall turns out to be decent.

I see them going 11-5, just because of that schedule. The Bengals might possibly be the best team in the NFC if they were playing in that conference, and they're playing the worst division in that conference this year. I think they'll run the table on their out of conference games (although San Fran might be tough), win at least four games in division, and then they only have to win 1-3 of the New England, Kansas City, New York Jets, Buffalo, Tennessee, Miami stretch to make the playoffs.

LoganBuck
08-21-2007, 07:50 AM
For everyone saying there's no depth at running back, I really don't have a problem with Kenny Watson as the backup.

If Rudi Johnson goes down are you comfortable using Kenny Watson, Quincy Wilson, and whatever is left of Chris Perry? Those guys can't carry the load. Teams could drop the safeties into pass protection and without Chris Henry, the Bengals don't make 8-8.

bucksfan2
08-21-2007, 10:20 AM
If Rudi Johnson goes down are you comfortable using Kenny Watson, Quincy Wilson, and whatever is left of Chris Perry? Those guys can't carry the load. Teams could drop the safeties into pass protection and without Chris Henry, the Bengals don't make 8-8.

Running backs are a dime a dozen. Remember when Rudi came out of nowhere to take over the starting job. I hate to use fantasy but when big name RB's go down their backup seems to step in and have a decent season. If your name isn't LT, Alexander, or Larry Johnson I dont think that you are all that unreplaceable.

joshnky
08-21-2007, 11:04 AM
The way I see it this is essentially the same team that last year went 8-8 against a tougher schedule. I break down the positional improvement like this:

QB: Same, maybe slight improvement
RB: Same
OL: Same, lot of turmoil last year and it appears this year will be the same
WR: Same, losing Henry hurts but he was in and out, Tab Perry and hopefully Chatman should help overcome the loss
TE: Same, not much depth but this has never been a strength

So the offense is the same as last year

DL: Unfortunately the same, another year of experience for Peko and Geathers may bring a slight improvement.
LB: Same, young, inexperienced, with potential
DB: Can't be worse, Jackson is healthy, if Joseph and Hall are as advertised this could be the one position that is an upgrade.

Slighty better defense.

Given an easier schedule and the basically the same team we should see at least a game improvement:
BALTIMORE- L
Cleveland- W
Seattle- L
NEW ENGLAND- L
Kansas City- L
NEW YORK JETS- W
PITTSBURGH- W
Buffalo- W
Baltimore- L
ARIZONA- W
TENNESSE- W
Pittsburgh- L
SAINT LOUIS- W
San Francisco- W
CLEVELAND- W
Miami- W

I foresee a rough start and an easy finish (you've got to love those last four games). My prediction is 10-6.

joshnky
08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Wasn't Marvin Lewis supposed to be some sort of defensive guru when coming up through the coaching ranks? If that is true, it seems odd that these Bengal teams have such poor defenses. I know a coach needs the horses, but I still feel the Bengal D should be further along.

I've heard this line of reasoning quite often as a criticism of Lewis but it really depends more on the personnel than the coach. You can't invest heavily in both offense and defense and the Bengals have chosen offense. The only way to improve the defense will be with some home runs through the draft.

Keep in mind that Brian Billick was seen as an offensive genius before going to Baltimore and that has always been an anemic offensive team during his tenure.

LoganBuck
08-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Running backs are a dime a dozen. Remember when Rudi came out of nowhere to take over the starting job. I hate to use fantasy but when big name RB's go down their backup seems to step in and have a decent season. If your name isn't LT, Alexander, or Larry Johnson I dont think that you are all that unreplaceable.

True, but the Bengals don't have one on hand. Irons and Perry were supposed to be those backup guys. Other teams tend to have a late round draft pick that is sitting around, ready to go. Kenny Watson and Quincy Wilson are not capable of being a feature back in a pinch. I see visions of the 1994 season running through my mind, with Harold Green as the feature back, getting nicked up and then a collection of yuck. Teams go into the season with "a pair and a spare" Watson and Wilson are spares. Overuse of these two, is like overuse of Mike Stanton.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-21-2007, 02:14 PM
If Rudi goes down, they should just offer a 2nd round draft pick to SD for Michael Turner.

Redsfaithful
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM

Yeah, I think Watson would be fine. The Bengals focus on the pass anyway, and as long as the line is healthy I think just about any running back could get four yards a carry back there.

sonny
08-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I think Watson would be fine. The Bengals focus on the pass anyway, and as long as the line is healthy I think just about any running back could get four yards a carry back there.

Player......... No Yds Avg Long TD
Rudi Johnson 341 1309 3.8 22 12

Exept Rudi. Sad thing is I think our line is even worse this year.

LoganBuck
08-22-2007, 12:08 AM

You have to keep the safeties honest. I see it as a potential train wreck. Kenny Watson has not been very durable either. Rudy didn't average 4 yards last year.

WVRed
08-22-2007, 07:23 AM
If Rudi goes down, they should just offer a 2nd round draft pick to SD for Michael Turner.

Good luck with that. My guess is Turner will likely go for a first round pick, and there would be more suitors than the Bengals willing to part with that.

The way I see it, both games against Cleveland, and the games against Arizona, Buffalo, Tennessee, Miami, and St Louis are must win games. This means that we would need to win at least three games against Baltimore(2x), Pittsburgh(2x), Seattle, New England, KC, New York, and San Francisco. Anything is possible, but we could swing 7-9 or 11-5 either way.

Redsfaithful
08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Player......... No Yds Avg Long TD
Rudi Johnson 341 1309 3.8 22 12

Exept Rudi. Sad thing is I think our line is even worse this year.

I was speaking generally. I'd consider Rudi's season reasonably succesful last year, and I think Watson could match it. Besides durability what is the complaint about Watson anyway? He's about the same size as Rudi and he's always done pretty well in the limited opportunity he's had in his career.

joshnky
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Does Rudi Johnson really scare anyone else in the NFL? He is a serviceable back in the Bengals high octane offense but is certainly not a top 5 back and arguably outside the top ten. His primary advantage is his durability and consistency. He'll play every game and give you around 80 yards on 20-25 carries. Lets be honest: those numbers are far from irreplaceable and I think the combination of Watson/Wilson/Perry could fill in without to big of a drop off if needed.

Roy Tucker
08-22-2007, 01:17 PM
The Bengals really did nothing to improve their defense over the off-season besides draft Leon Hall. Ahmed Brooks as a savior? Yikes.

Losing Chris Henry for the first 8 games is really going to hurt them. Losing Kenny Irons is really going to hurt them too. Losing Anthony Wright as the #2 QB is going to hurt.

Overall, their roster is thinner than what it was last year. Injuries and lack of depth are going to kill this team.

This first 1/2 of the schedule is a killer and they can't rely on beating the Browns forever. I'd say they'll be 6-10.

camisadelgolf
08-22-2007, 01:21 PM
The thing I like about Rudi is that he doesn't cost you any games with what he can do as a running back. Depending on their defensive abilities and strategy, a lot of teams have no problems with specific types of running backs. Some have no problems with finesse backs, and others have no problems with power backs. However, with Rudi, he manages to do just enough almost every game, regardless of the opponent.

When you bring in more of a finesse player like Watson, I think he could have some good games but also some very terrible games. Not only that, but I think it would take at least a couple games for the Bengals to adjust their style of play enough to appropriately incorporate a different type of running game without that complementary kind of back.

camisadelgolf
08-22-2007, 01:23 PM
The Bengals may not have "improved" over the off-season acquisition-wise, but the young guys have another year of experience and conditioning under them, so I expect a lot of players to be improved in that sense.

joshnky
08-22-2007, 01:49 PM
However, with Rudi, he manages to do just enough almost every game, regardless of the opponent.

I have to disagree with this statement. Rudi rushed for less than 50 yards 4 times last year which includes three divisional games. His five games over 100 yards were primarily against bad rushing defenses (Cleveland, NO, Oakland). I think Rudi is a capable back but he is far from irreplaceable. Also, I doubt we would see Kenny Watson as Rudi's replacement. Quincy Wilson is a Rudi clone and would likely take over if Chris Perry couldn't do it.

Finally, the only way the Bengals win less than 8 games against this schedule is if they lose Palmer for more than a game.

joshnky
08-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Losing Kenny Irons is really going to hurt them too. Losing Anthony Wright as the #2 QB is going to hurt.

I'm sorry but these are rediculous statements. Losing your back up QB is going to hurt you? I think we all agree that if Carson goes down, the season goes down with him regardless of the back up. Also, the Bengals didn't have Kenny Irons or Chris Perry last year and they won 8 games against a more difficult schedule. We didn't have Irons last year and don't know what he would have brought this year so I question whether losing him makes us significantly worse.

wheels
08-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Chris Perry was back in camp yesterday. The Bengals are mum about his status, but anecdotally, it seems that he might be back sooner than later. They aren't going to make any difinitive statements until they are sure he's healthy enough to play. If he sets foot on the practice field, they will not be able to place him on PUP.

Willie Anderson vows to be in the lineup against Baltimore, and Levi Jones will probably be ready to go against Atlanta tomorrow.

Jeremi Johnson also made his first appearance since last December.

Things are starting to look up on the injury front.

camisadelgolf
08-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I have to disagree with this statement. Rudi rushed for less than 50 yards 4 times last year which includes three divisional games. His five games over 100 yards were primarily against bad rushing defenses (Cleveland, NO, Oakland). I think Rudi is a capable back but he is far from irreplaceable. Also, I doubt we would see Kenny Watson as Rudi's replacement. Quincy Wilson is a Rudi clone and would likely take over if Chris Perry couldn't do it.

Finally, the only way the Bengals win less than 8 games against this schedule is if they lose Palmer for more than a game.

I see why you would say that, but the Bengals won two of those games, and in the other two, the Bengals were heavily criticized for not running the ball enough (for which the Bengals staff agreed and decided to take some blame for the losses).

Roy Tucker
08-22-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry but these are rediculous statements. Losing your back up QB is going to hurt you? I think we all agree that if Carson goes down, the season goes down with him regardless of the back up. Also, the Bengals didn't have Kenny Irons or Chris Perry last year and they won 8 games against a more difficult schedule. We didn't have Irons last year and don't know what he would have brought this year so I question whether losing him makes us significantly worse.

Eh, it's just my opinion so take it all with a grain of salt.

I think the Bengals got lucky last year on both the Carson Palmer and Rudi Johnson front. I think top-line NFL teams have to have to have capable backups at both positions. Maybe not to carry the position for the season, but to be able to fill in anywhere from one series to one game and not lose too much. I thought Wright would be able to do that. From what I've seen of Doug Johnson, he looks pretty sad. Kenny Watson may be good enough.

Overall, I just don't have a good feeling about the roster. So shoot me.

camisadelgolf
08-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Having Anthony Wright over Doug Johnson makes the difference over one game, tops (and that's assuming Palmer gets hurt). Losing Kenny Irons doesn't make the team worse than last year, but it stops the Bengals from improving on that part of the offense. Then again, if Chris Perry comes back close to how he was before the injury, it's most likely a moot point. Not having Chris Henry will hurt a little--he will play in five games less than he did last year--but Tab Perry is back after missing 14 games, Bennie Brazell is back after missing 16 games, and Antonio Chatman is back after missing 13 games. Collectively, I think those three guys will be able to adequately replace Chris Henry for eight games.

CrackerJack
08-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Having Anthony Wright over Doug Johnson makes the difference over one game, tops (and that's assuming Palmer gets hurt). Losing Kenny Irons doesn't make the team worse than last year, but it stops the Bengals from improving on that part of the offense. Then again, if Chris Perry comes back close to how he was before the injury, it's most likely a moot point. Not having Chris Henry will hurt a little--he will play in five games less than he did last year--but Tab Perry is back after missing 14 games, Bennie Brazell is back after missing 16 games, and Antonio Chatman is back after missing 13 games. Collectively, I think those three guys will be able to adequately replace Chris Henry for eight games.

Although it's very possible Chatman and Brazelle will be cut with Holt an Skyler Green taking their place.

There really is no one who can make up for a loss of Chris Henry, the guy's just as talented as TJ or Chad or anyone else in the league (think Randy Moss in his prime).

The area of weakeness on this team we should be focusing on is the banged up and relatively inexperienced o-line, and the poor play of Ahmad Brooks and a 28th ranked defense that really didn't improve at all on paper.

My excitment/hopes for this season are tempered.

camisadelgolf
08-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I think the Bengals are going to blow people away this year. Mark it down: When the season starts, everyone's going to say, "Wow! I'm a huge Bengals fan, and even I didn't expect to see that kind of excellence!"

LoganBuck
08-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I think the Bengals are going to blow people away this year. Mark it down: When the season starts, everyone's going to say, "Wow! I'm a huge Bengals fan, and even I didn't expect to see that kind of excellence!"

I think everyone is going to say: Crap! I'm a huge Bengals fan, and even I didn't expect to see that kind of suckitude!

I love the Bengals, I am just really worried. Too many big questions.

sonny
08-23-2007, 01:19 AM
I guarantee somewhere between 1 and 16 wins. Mark it down Dude!

Degenerate39
08-23-2007, 02:01 AM
I guarantee somewhere between 1 and 16 wins. Mark it down Dude!

Now they'll go 0-0-16

bucksfan2
08-23-2007, 08:55 AM

I wouldn't go that far. I will say that the I think the bengals will have a good season this year. This team is very similar to the team that played last year. IMO their biggest loss was KK and he was nothing special. The loss of Simmons (who was no longer that productive) and Wright (if carson isn't on the field we are going to struggle anyways) aren't that big. Defense is going to be improved this year over last. There is more depth and competition in the secondary. Ahmed Brooks will continue to improve this year. He is going to be a work in progress and people have to realize that. He has started <5 games at MLB and people need to be less concerned disecting the playes where he is out of position and realize that is going to happen.

I think its funny that people are so worried about Henry. He is a great #3 reciever but he is a #3 reciever. Chad and TJ are both good enough to keep the d's attention and a guy like Tab Perry can excell in the 3rd reciever roll. I think this team could be a huge boost when Perry and Henry come back in weeks 5-8. The bengals should get back 2 players who are healthy midway though the season who could be a huge boost.

WVRed
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM

Have you seen Doug Johnson play in preseason? I know Wright isnt a savior, but neither was Jon Kitna. The Bengals really need a backup QB, especially if Carson Palmer is one knee injury away from being a career ender(that was the report, wasn't it?)

The problem with the running game though is that Rudi isn't going to last forever. He has begun to show some signs of wear and tear and with the average life expectancy of running backs in the league, losing Kenny Irons was a pretty big blow.

WMR
08-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Hmmm... I want to be super-optimistic about the Bengals this season, but I just don't see the defense being that much improved...

I'll hope for 10-6, but I lean more towards 9-7.

WMR
08-24-2007, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't go that far. I will say that the I think the bengals will have a good season this year. This team is very similar to the team that played last year. IMO their biggest loss was KK and he was nothing special. The loss of Simmons (who was no longer that productive) and Wright (if carson isn't on the field we are going to struggle anyways) aren't that big. Defense is going to be improved this year over last. There is more depth and competition in the secondary. Ahmed Brooks will continue to improve this year. He is going to be a work in progress and people have to realize that. He has started <5 games at MLB and people need to be less concerned disecting the playes where he is out of position and realize that is going to happen.

I think its funny that people are so worried about Henry. He is a great #3 reciever but he is a #3 reciever. Chad and TJ are both good enough to keep the d's attention and a guy like Tab Perry can excell in the 3rd reciever roll. I think this team could be a huge boost when Perry and Henry come back in weeks 5-8. The bengals should get back 2 players who are healthy midway though the season who could be a huge boost.

Chris Henry has #1 potential. He has shown clear flashes of #1 ability throughout his tumultuous career... can he mature?

Is Chris Perry going to play this season? Does he have an ETA?

camisadelgolf
11-20-2007, 04:46 AM

Wow, I really messed up on this one.

Roy Tucker
11-21-2007, 12:20 PM
The Bengals really did nothing to improve their defense over the off-season besides draft Leon Hall. Ahmed Brooks as a savior? Yikes.

Losing Chris Henry for the first 8 games is really going to hurt them. Losing Kenny Irons is really going to hurt them too. Losing Anthony Wright as the #2 QB is going to hurt.

Overall, their roster is thinner than what it was last year. Injuries and lack of depth are going to kill this team.

This first 1/2 of the schedule is a killer and they can't rely on beating the Browns forever. I'd say they'll be 6-10.

I guess I was wrong about Wright.