PDA

View Full Version : Krivsky interview on 1530

JLB5
08-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Worth a listen. Seems he's not too high on Votto's D and Homer is scheduled to start in Sarasota tomorrow. Talks about why guys like Cueto aren't up and some of the moves like Coutlangus going down (said he was walking too many and 1st batter faced reaching base too often).

http://www.1530homer.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=GreggandMo.xml

About 14 minutes into hour 1.

Fil3232
08-22-2007, 01:19 PM
If Krivsky based all the bullpen decisions on WHIP, there wouldn't be anybody to pitch.

Muggerd
08-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I loved that interview. Wayne showed a side we have never seen when talking to the media. Great job from the 1530 guys and Wayne all around.

Krawhitham
08-22-2007, 02:00 PM
He had not walked anyone in his last 5 outings

I guess he should be more like Stanton and give up a run scoring double to the 1st batter more often

redsupport
08-22-2007, 02:08 PM
precisely

Degenerate39
08-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Wayne was getting p-oed during that interview

Muggerd
08-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Wayne was getting p-oed during that interview

I loved that. He was very quick to correct Gregg Doyel on points he didnt agree with.

Screwball
08-22-2007, 02:12 PM
I found the interview to be very entertaining. I thought Wayne came across as a little surly, almost like he was getting angry during the interview. My favorite part was when Doyel said something to the effect of Kepp hitting .600 if he had just stayed in the minors a little longer (obviously ribbing Krivsky for not bringing him up sooner) and Wayne just said point blank "No, you're wrong." Good radio right there!

Muggerd
08-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I think Wayne did a great job answering the questions with out being flat out totally open with the answers. He cant just come out and say "well in September we are bringing up these guys". He answered the questions the best he could with out saying too much.

Jim
08-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm surprised that Wayne could keep up with the interviewers... they were jumping all over the place and talking a million miles per hour! I was very impressed with Wayne's poise.

reds44
08-22-2007, 02:53 PM
hahahahaha Wayne was getting fired up. It was good to see him actually have him answer some questions.

Wayne talked about Cueto "struggling" in AAA and it's why the sent him back down to AA combined with the fact they were no longer overloaded. If you look at Homer's numbers (outside of his ERA) he by no means earned his pomotion to MLB, but he was promoted anyway.

He talked about how Coutlangus walked people. Yeah he walks people, but like Doyle said Stanton doesn't walk people and he gets shelled. I'll take guys that walk people but get people out, over those who don't get people out.

Basically he said the reason Votto and Bruce aren't up here is because you can only have 25 guys on a roster. Now Bruce is more difficult then Votto because there's no room in the outfield and IMO Bruce shouldn't be up here, but Hatteberg has an option at the end of the year. Don't you think Votto should be up here and playing (at least vs. RHP) everyday so we can see if we need to pick up Hatteberg's option?

I do like how he said how the veteran guys are just stop gaps for our prospects.

Screwball
08-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Don't you think Votto should be up here and playing (at least vs. RHP) everyday so we can see if we need to pick up Hatteberg's option?

Personally, yes, yes I do. However, while listening to the interview I was reminded that while ultimately Krivsky is the man making the final decision on player movements, it really is a team effort. There are all kinds of scouts and player development guys that WK consults, and these guys have been doing this for a living for decades. While we all see the numbers and yell "Bring him up!", there are professionals evaluating him on a daily basis, seeing things we don't get to see, analyzing things us fans don't really think about. If Wayne and his player devlopment people (for lack of a better term) deem Votto and others not ready, perhaps they should be given the benefit of the doubt.

reds44
08-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Personally, yes, yes I do. However, while listening to the interview I was reminded that while ultimately Krivsky is the man making the final decision on player movements, it really is a team effort. There are all kinds of scouts and player development guys that WK consults, and these guys have been doing this for a living for decades. While we all see the numbers and yell "Bring him up!", there are professionals evaluating him on a daily basis, seeing things we don't get to see, analyzing things us fans don't really think about. If Wayne and his player devlopment people (for lack of a better term) deem Votto and others not ready, perhaps they should be given the benefit of the doubt.
And don't you think guys like Salmon and Coutlangus and maybe to a lesser extent McBeth should be here instead of Stanton, Saarloos, and Guardado? We know Salmon and Coutlangus are better then those guys.

Screwball
08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
And don't you think guys like Salmon and Coutlangus and maybe to a lesser extent McBeth should be here instead of Stanton, Saarloos, and Guardado?

Indeed I do. It's unfortunate that sometimes it comes down to an options game, and the fact that Salmon, Coutlangus, McBeth etc. aren't signed to multi-million dollar contracts.

thorn
08-22-2007, 03:12 PM
And don't you think guys like Salmon and Coutlangus and maybe to a lesser extent McBeth should be here instead of Stanton, Saarloos, and Guardado? We know Salmon and Coutlangus are better then those guys.

I am sure Wayne knows they are better, but maybe he doesn't want "Better". Maybe he wants them to develope more and not just be better, but good when they are here. Maybe he's afraid of hurting their development into good pitchers just so they can be better than what we currently have. We are not going anywhere this season regardless, so why not let them develope more and work on their game before they come up. Just a thought.

reds44
08-22-2007, 03:33 PM
I am sure Wayne knows they are better, but maybe he doesn't want "Better". Maybe he wants them to develope more and not just be better, but good when they are here. Maybe he's afraid of hurting their development into good pitchers just so they can be better than what we currently have. We are not going anywhere this season regardless, so why not let them develope more and work on their game before they come up. Just a thought.
So development stops when somebody hits the majors?

thorn
08-22-2007, 03:45 PM
So development stops when somebody hits the majors?

Of course not, people do get better. But, in AAA that meat fastball down the middle may get you a K, but here it's slammed into the upper deck. Maybe the scouts are seeing things like that that don't show up in stats. You know as well as anyone stats in minor leagues don't translate to stats at the ML level. Maybe that's the development he's looking for.

reds44
08-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Of course not, people do get better. But, in AAA that meat fastball down the middle may get you a K, but here it's slammed into the upper deck. Maybe the scouts are seeing things like that that don't show up in stats. You know as well as anyone stats in minor leagues don't translate to stats at the ML level. Maybe that's the development he's looking for.
Huh? Coutlangus and Salmon were pitching much better then half of our bullpen.

It doesn't take a scout to see that.

thorn
08-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Huh? Coutlangus and Salmon were pitching much better then half of our bullpen.

It doesn't take a scout to see that.

Better than Stanton, EdeG means what? Because they can do better does that make them good?

reds44
08-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Better than Stanton, EdeG means what? Because they can do better does that make them good?
It makes them better (and younger) then what we have.

AmarilloRed
08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
hahahahaha Wayne was getting fired up. It was good to see him actually have him answer some questions.

Wayne talked about Cueto "struggling" in AAA and it's why the sent him back down to AA combined with the fact they were no longer overloaded. If you look at Homer's numbers (outside of his ERA) he by no means earned his pomotion to MLB, but he was promoted anyway.

He talked about how Coutlangus walked people. Yeah he walks people, but like Doyle said Stanton doesn't walk people and he gets shelled. I'll take guys that walk people but get people out, over those who don't get people out.

Basically he said the reason Votto and Bruce aren't up here is because you can only have 25 guys on a roster. Now Bruce is more difficult then Votto because there's no room in the outfield and IMO Bruce shouldn't be up here, but Hatteberg has an option at the end of the year. Don't you think Votto should be up here and playing (at least vs. RHP) everyday so we can see if we need to pick up Hatteberg's option?

I do like how he said how the veteran guys are just stop gaps for our prospects.

I am encouraged by this. It seems as if he thinks Votto is more than a AAAA player as advertised; he simply wants to make roster space for him.

jmac
08-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Wayne talked about Cueto "struggling" in AAA and it's why the sent him back down to AA

Yeah right !:rolleyes:

Redhook
08-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Wayne was fiesty this morning. I loved the questions Gregg was asking him. Made him sweat a bit.

Hopefully Wayne will someday learn that he needs to inform the media and fans more often on what is actually going on. It's one thing to make all the moves he's made, but it's another to not explain anything to anyone.

The one thing that bothered me from the interview was the fact that Wayne said he's still focusing on 2007. Why? The season is done. Get the young guys here to get ready for next year. It's pretty simple really.

Screwball
08-22-2007, 06:14 PM
The one thing that bothered me from the interview was the fact that Wayne said he's still focusing on 2007. Why? The season is done. Get the young guys here to get ready for next year. It's pretty simple really.

I don't think it makes sense to anybody except Wayne Krivsky. As the saying goes, ya gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

It seems like Wayne refuses to lay down his pocket 9s despite the A-K-Q-J on the board.

Muggerd
08-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Wayne said hes focusing on 2007 when talking about keppinger and other player moves. What is he supposed to say?

"keppinger is starting 3rd, we are trading Edwin, not picking up Dunns option, moving Votto to LF and signing Bartolo Colon"

He can only say so much when talking about the future.

FlightRick
08-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Or maybe it's as simple as the fact that Krivsky is still focused on 2007 because he thinks that busting ass now is the only way to guarantee that he'll even be around to worry about 2008?

Not saying *I* would personally have him on the hot seat, but the guy also can't be oblivious to all the chatter out there.

Screwball
08-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Wayne said hes focusing on 2007 when talking about keppinger and other player moves. What is he supposed to say?

"keppinger is starting 3rd, we are trading Edwin, not picking up Dunns option, moving Votto to LF and signing Bartolo Colon"

He can only say so much when talking about the future.

You know, they have PR people for a reason. Just about every Reds fan would understand if this team went younger in an attempt to improve for the future. Krivsky could say something like: "Giving top prospects from the minor league system valuable experience could pay big dividends in the upcoming seasons. The team may not win right now, but the goal is to improve the product for the future, to contend for a division title and ultimately a World Series, and we're confident these moves will make that happen."

There, that wasn't so hard, and I don't think anybody who reads it would then be ready to scrap their Reds' jerseys.

HokieRed
08-22-2007, 09:51 PM
I agree with a lot of what's being said except that about Guardado. Evaluating what Guardado is able to do is very important to 2008. The guy's been a very good relief pitcher; if he can still get it done, he can be very valuable to us next year. I don't think that's going to happen, but K has got to find it out.

AmarilloRed
08-23-2007, 12:41 AM
He has to find out about a number of players: Guardado, Stanton, Coffey and Majewski. I would expect to see all of these players back in the bullpen at some point. The talented youngsters will probably have to wait until September.

WMR
08-23-2007, 04:11 AM
I think Wayne was pwn3d in that interview and deservedly so.

He SHOULD BE sweating from this mess of a ballclub whose construction he has orchestrated.

Steel's post over on the ORG is just about perfect.

Orenda
08-23-2007, 07:04 AM