PDA

View Full Version : Will Stanton retire at season's end?

realreds1
08-25-2007, 10:18 PM
I remember earlier this season the FSN crew reported that Stanton was mulling retirement (if anything, just briefly) when he realized he wasn't getting guys out like he used to. Now, with an ERA over 6.00, does one of baseball's most prolific relievers call it a day?

Degenerate39
08-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Would you walk away from all that money to stink?

realreds1
08-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Doesn't he have enough money? Does integrity still have a place in today's game? Questions to consider at least.

Degenerate39
08-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Doesn't he have enough money?

Probably but who wouldn't like another 2 or 3 million whatever he's making.

Muggerd
08-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Doesn't he have enough money? Does integrity still have a place in today's game? Questions to consider at least.

He probably has enough money but I doubt any player would walk away from that much money.

Newport Red
08-25-2007, 10:26 PM
For 2 to 3 million, I could convince myself that this year's performance was just an aberation.

Muggerd
08-25-2007, 10:27 PM
For 2 to 3 million, I could convince myself that this year's performance was just an aberation.

:bowrofl:

Screwball
08-25-2007, 10:29 PM
From reading John Fay and C. Trent's respective blogs virtually every single day, it's pretty apparent that Mike Stanton is pure class, and a stand-up guy character-wise. If anybody on the team were to retire due to (lack of) performance issues, my guess is it'd be Stanton - no matter how much money was on the table.

AmarilloRed
08-26-2007, 12:01 AM
I would like to believe if he realizes he can no longer get batters out, he would consider retirement.

Orenda
08-26-2007, 12:18 PM
its just the state of baseball these days. Plenty of money to go around. Its always fun to point at laugh when struggling franchises keep themselves down by throwing money at shades of glory types. But then the reds signed Stanton and I remembered thats not a nice thing to do.

Hey Meat
08-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I would like to believe if he realizes he can no longer get batters out, he would consider retirement.

I've talked to people here in Midland (where he played high school baseball) that know him and they think this is probably it. Not sure if they have talked to him though (I doubt it)

OUReds
08-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Ask yourself this, if Stanton posted elite closer type numbers this year, would the Reds increase his next year's salary to compensate for his new worth?

I suspect the answer to that is no, so why should Stanton walk away from the money he is owed?

A contract is a risk for both parties, it's unrealistic to expect a player to absolve a team from that risk if he is legitimately attempting to live up to his part of the contract.

Orenda
08-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Ask yourself this, if Stanton posted elite closer type numbers this year, would the Reds increase his next year's salary to compensate for his new worth?

well... the ryan freel, todd coffey, and bronson arroyo in me says maybe. But usually the case is no. Its a contract the reds are going to have to live with in some way or another, and Stanton shouldn't be under pressure to voluntarily walk away from money. I would say the pressure is on ownership.

DeadRedinCT
08-26-2007, 05:58 PM
The Reds have to monitor Stanton closely. If he gets 140 appearances over the 2007 and 2008 seasons, he gets the 2009 season guaranteed at 2.75M.

gedred69
08-26-2007, 06:21 PM

I suspect the answer to that is no, so why should Stanton walk away from the money he is owed?

A contract is a risk for both parties, it's unrealistic to expect a player to absolve a team from that risk if he is legitimately attempting to live up to his part of the contract.

The much-maligned Mark MacGuire walked away. Granted, the money is different, but he had the integrity to say "I'm a shadow of my past". It's kinda' like taking one for the team. Stanton already has enough money to spend the rest of his life on a beach while his kids go to elite universities.

OUReds
08-26-2007, 06:25 PM
The much-maligned Mark MacGuire walked away. Granted, the money is different, but he had the integrity to say "I'm a shadow of my past". It's kinda' like taking one for the team. Stanton already has enough money to spend the rest of his life on a beach while his kids go to elite universities.

Mark McGuire, paragon of virtue or smart enough to get out while the getting was good?

You make the call.

GoReds33
08-26-2007, 06:26 PM
From reading John Fay and C. Trent's respective blogs virtually every single day, it's pretty apparent that Mike Stanton is pure class, and a stand-up guy character-wise. If anybody on the team were to retire due to (lack of) performance issues, my guess is it'd be Stanton - no matter how much money was on the table.You took the words right out of my mouth. Stanton is supposedly a very respectable person. I think he of all people realizes its over.:)

Screwball
08-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Stanton already has enough money to spend the rest of his life on a beach while his kids go to elite universities.

Yep. According to Baseball Reference's numbers (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/stantmi02.shtml), Stanton's made over $28.9 million in his career. I'm sure he'd like an extra few million (who wouldn't?), but he'd still be fine without it.

George Foster
08-26-2007, 09:07 PM
no way he walks away from that money. Why would you, does not make since. Just go to spring training for a few weeks and get cut. Stay home all year and get paid.:thumbup:

AmarilloRed
08-26-2007, 09:10 PM
He would do it; if he was concerned about his legacy. I don't think he would enjoy another couple of years of this kind of performance.

Vada Pinson Fan
08-26-2007, 10:31 PM
I would be totally shocked if Stanton would retire and walk away from next year's money.

jnwohio
08-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Maybe there is a middle road here. Perhaps the club can buy his retirement for less than the full face value of the guarenteed amount. Save them some bucks; save him the travelling and hanging on just to pick up the check.

AmarilloRed
08-27-2007, 12:47 AM
If FSN reported he was considering retirement, we have to consider it a real possibility.

ChatterRed
08-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Yep. According to Baseball Reference's numbers (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/stantmi02.shtml), Stanton's made over $28.9 million in his career. I'm sure he'd like an extra few million (who wouldn't?), but he'd still be fine without it.

......but maybe he lost alot of that betting on dogfighting? ;)

redleg32
08-27-2007, 12:53 PM
God I hope so!

George Foster
08-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe there is a middle road here. Perhaps the club can buy his retirement for less than the full face value of the guarenteed amount. Save them some bucks; save him the travelling and hanging on just to pick up the check.

The contract is in stone. He would have to agree to a "buy out."
Maybe a buy out and a coaching job?

jnwohio
08-27-2007, 10:51 PM
The contract is in stone. He would have to agree to a "buy out."
Maybe a buy out and a coaching job?

Exactly what I was thinking. At his age, half the remaining money in turn for not having to travel and perform as a shadow of his former self might be quite an inducement.

However, given the contract is guarenteed, I'm betting it all has to look like a legitimate retirement to pass muster with the players' association.

Muggerd
08-27-2007, 10:57 PM
I could see him possibly quitting after the year but I think if he calls it quits its going to be in spring training next year.