PDA

View Full Version : Dunn to the O's

Prf15
08-25-2007, 11:24 PM
BALTIMORE -- The first sign of Baltimore manager Dave Trembley's fingerprints became apparent on Saturday, when the Orioles announced a switch in their coaching staff. Trembley, who was told last week that he'd be back to manage the team next year, requested and was granted the hiring of former Minor League pitching coach Alan Dunn as his new bullpen coach.

Trembley started the year in that capacity, but began to be used more as a bench coach before being promoted to interim manager in early June. He was replaced on a temporary basis by former big league pitcher Bruce Kison, but Dunn will represent a full-time addition to the staff, one who already has Trembley's complete confidence.

"Alan was my pitching coach in Double-A for the majority of the time that I was with the Cubs," Trembley said. "He was the pitching coordinator this year [and] the pitching coach last year in Triple-A. He'll be a real good addition to our staff."

Trembley had such confidence in Dunn that he thought of him immediately when told that he'd be back next year. Shortly after Baltimore executive Andy MacPhail extended the offer, Trembley brought up the prospect of adding Dunn.

"The first person I asked for at that dinner meeting was Alan Dunn," he said. "With all due respect, we had a void in the bullpen. There's someone that needs to coordinate the program down there and have a pitching background.

"People that know the history of the Cubs and the pitchers they've developed there -- he's played a part in that."

Dunn coached in the Cubs' organization for 15 seasons, and three of his Double-A pitching staffs finished first or second in their league in ERA. He's filled every role from scout to coordinator to pitching coach but feels most at home on the field. Now, it's his job to fit in and try to help Trembley and pitching coach Leo Mazzone any way he can.

"To give me a chance to be here is a life's dream. For them to give me the opportunity, I'm very grateful to be here," Dunn said. "Basically, I'm going to do whatever's needed from Dave and Leo and try to be a complement to them in whatever areas they need me to work on. And hopefully, we can get some things going in the right direction."

Dunn will be stationed out in the bullpen, but he doesn't plan on doing much in his first few days. He wants to just be able to observe how everything works in Baltimore and ascertain exactly how he can be of service.

"Having been in the National League in the Minor Leagues and not really having a feel for the guys here, I think you have to come in and watch and listen and, obviously, talk to Leo and find out what he wants me to do," said Dunn.

:D

mroby85
08-25-2007, 11:57 PM
thats just hilarious :rolleyes:

Degenerate39
08-26-2007, 12:18 AM
:D

:laugh: I was wondering why I didn't hear about Dunn clearing waivers.

mroby85
08-26-2007, 12:32 AM
these kind of headlines just anger me on message boards. it's about as funny as when someone taps you on the right shoulder, and then goes around to your left.

Ludwig Reds Fan
08-26-2007, 10:53 AM
the x of being fooled by headlines such as these, is directly proportionate to the y of being really gullible. :starwars:

x + y = :(

AmarilloRed
08-26-2007, 01:07 PM
These kind of threads are not a good idea. There are many people on this forum who feel very strongly about Adam Dunn, and do not make a thread like this unless you have very strong evidence he is to be traded.