PDA

View Full Version : The Brandon Phillips Thread

ChatterRed
08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
He's playing so well lately, I thought he earned his own thread. ;)

Seriously, is this guy underrated or what?

Prf15
08-29-2007, 09:13 PM
He is the man.

Muggerd
08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
pretty darn good all around player if you ask me. possibly the best 2nd baseman in the national league and very much deserving of a gold glove this year.

UC_Ken
08-29-2007, 09:42 PM
He's the best defensive 2nd baseman I've seen in a long time. If he doesn't win the gold glove this year there needs to be an investigation.

RedsFanatic
08-29-2007, 09:54 PM
BP is absolutely going off this year. He deserves the silver slugger and the gold glove this year.

Muggerd
08-29-2007, 09:58 PM
BP is absolutely going off this year. He deserves the silver slugger and the gold glove this year.

I think Chase Utley has the Silver slugger locked up even though he was injured.

RedsFanatic
08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Brandon is having a better year offensively, in my opinion.

Jim Fazio
08-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I love Phillips, but I was in Pittsburgh for the doubleheader and the thing that bothered me about him is that he doesn't run out grounders in the infield. Needs to hustle all the time to be a complete player.

Muggerd
08-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Brandon is having a better year offensively, in my opinion.

Now that Utley went on the DL he is.

Degenerate39
08-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Brandon Phillips is easily one of the best 2nd basemen in the league and Wayne picked him up for nothing.

James B.
08-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I don't see why some people complain about Phillips batting 4th. He has been our most consistent hitter all year long. I like him hitting between Griffey and Dunn.

Muggerd
08-29-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't see why some people complain about Phillips batting 4th. He has been our most consistent hitter all year long. I like him hitting between Griffey and Dunn.

He hits into a bunch of DPs and is a free swinger. I dont think people really complain about him batting 4th its more that Dunn bats behind him.

I think most people would like it to look like this
Dunn
Phillips
Griffey

Degenerate39
08-29-2007, 10:44 PM

I don't mind it all the time but against righties I think Griffey should bat 3rd, Dunn 4th, and Phillips 5th.

mroby85
08-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Brandon Phillips should be the face of this team, if he isn't already. he IS the next barry larkin, and i'm going to appreciate it more this time, because after larkin left, i realized how much of an impact player he really was. All hail King Phillips, lol.

AmarilloRed
08-30-2007, 01:49 AM
He has a chance for .300, 30 hr, and 90 RBI. He is a player who can help us for years.

Homer Bailey
08-30-2007, 03:05 AM
How in the WORLD did we land this guy for nothing? Imagine if WK has 5 years to assemble a team that he has gotten for nothing????

In less than two years:

BP
BA
AH (locked up fairly cheap long term)
JH (huge man-crush)
Jorge Cantu (truly believe in this guy)
Hatte - 1.85 for a .300/.380 guy? and maybe even able to bring him off the bench????
Stubbs- the guy is coming along... i've hated him since the pick but im jumpin on the bandwagon (still with rather have Lincecum...)
Maloney- STEAL
Smit- STEAL!
Jukich- STEAL!
McBeth- Better than a AAAA outfielder!!!!

Sure there are the misses, and I may even be missing some talent brought in by WK.... but consider me a believer!!!

Homer Bailey
08-30-2007, 03:06 AM
I have no idea how I forgot THE MAN Jared Burton... 2.61 ERA after a TERRIBLE start??? Unreal.....

STEAL!!!

ChatterRed
08-30-2007, 08:53 AM
So are you calling WK a thief with all these steals he's made? ;)

scounts22
08-30-2007, 10:39 AM
B-Phil is amazing. I was at the game on Sunday where he leapt in the air and caught that line drive. His defense is crazy awesome. I'm continually blown away by the balls he gets to and the plays he makes. Straight up :pimp:.

dwgeer
08-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Brandon Phillips is what I hoped Pokey Reese would be.

mole44
08-30-2007, 03:52 PM
He's the best defensive 2nd baseman I've seen in a long time. If he doesn't win the gold glove this year there needs to be an investigation.

true

Vada Pinson Fan
08-30-2007, 09:35 PM
He hits into a bunch of DPs and is a free swinger. I dont think people really complain about him batting 4th its more that Dunn bats behind him.

I think most people would like it to look like this
Dunn
Phillips
Griffey

Not me. I'd like it to look like this:
Phillips,
Bruce,
Griffey,
Votto,
Dunn

That dog will hunt!!!

Muggerd
08-30-2007, 10:14 PM
SIMPLY AMAZIN

NorrisHopper30
08-30-2007, 10:24 PM
nice play

Fullboat
08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
You Can fill a DVD's worth of BP highlights this year!

ChatterRed
08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Wow. Another 3 hits and an incredible off balance difficult perfect throw to Javy Valentin for the game winning out at the plate! Awesome.

Degenerate39
08-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Wow. Another 3 hits and an incredible off balance difficult perfect throw to Javy Valentin for the game winning out at the plate! Awesome.

Wow by the sound of that play they should give him the Gold Glove just for that

Muggerd
08-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Wow by the sound of that play they should give him the Gold Glove just for that

So you didnt see the game?

AmarilloRed
09-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Brandon just hit his 28th home run with a man on. 30/30 is looking pretty good.

Orenda
09-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Roberto Alomar was pretty good, and he could spit

texasdave
09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Brandon Phillips goes deep two AB's in a row (9th inning last night and 1st inning today)against the Metro-sexuals and promptly gets plunked. Hmm. Coincidence? Maybe. But I would plunk one of their guys just in case.

BLEEDS
09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't mind it all the time but against righties I think Griffey should bat 3rd, Dunn 4th, and Phillips 5th.

Agree 1,000,000%. Phillips hits into too many DP's. Dunn hits better in the 4 hole, and with better hitters behind him he's see's more hittable pitches.

He has a chance for .300, 30 hr, and 90 RBI. He is a player who can help us for years.

I don't think BP EVER hits .300 in his career. He's too much of a free swinger. I could see 30/90. But his OPS will always be low. He needs to move down in the lineup.

Brandon Phillips should be the face of this team, if he isn't already. he IS the next barry larkin, and i'm going to appreciate it more this time, because after larkin left, i realized how much of an impact player he really was. All hail King Phillips, lol.

I hope you are being sarcastic. BP shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Larkin. He was a complete player.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Cockerham
09-05-2007, 03:19 PM
yeah, you are right. Brandon Phillips is the most underrated 2nd baseman in the league. He's the best in the NL behind Chase Utley I think. He got robbed when he misssed out on the All Star game this year. He was alot more deserving than Freddy Sanchez. I believe he's our best all around player other than Aaron Harang. I think all around he is even better than Griffey because he plays gold glove defense, and he is a much bigger threat on the bases.

TC81190
09-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Agree 1,000,000%. Phillips hits into too many DP's. Dunn hits better in the 4 hole, and with better hitters behind him he's see's more hittable pitches.

I don't think BP EVER hits .300 in his career. He's too much of a free swinger. I could see 30/90. But his OPS will always be low. He needs to move down in the lineup.

I hope you are being sarcastic. BP shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Larkin. He was a complete player.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

jnwohio
09-05-2007, 10:54 PM
What is not complete about Phillips' game?

He looks like a lock for 30/30; just broke Morgan's single season club record for HRs by a second baseman. He is going to be right at 100 RBIs. He has had several of the truly great battling at bats of the season late in games to get the Reds on their way to tying or winning games that looked to be already gone. He is not batting lead off or 3rd so it isn't necessarily his job to be looking for walks; although I have seen him work several to keep innings moving along. On defense he is a keystone. He makes both the routine and outsanding plays with regularity. His youth did show on that deal with Pujols the other nite but this is after all just his 2nd full season in the majors.

I can understand a person saying they want to see this kind of performace from him for several years before starting to consider him a peer of Larkin; but what he has done this year for a single season performance is actually very Larkinesque in my opinion.

AmarilloRed
09-06-2007, 02:00 AM
What is not complete about Phillips' game?

He looks like a lock for 30/30; just broke Morgan's single season club record for HRs by a second baseman. He is going to be right at 100 RBIs. He has had several of the truly great battling at bats of the season late in games to get the Reds on their way to tying or winning games that looked to be already gone. He is not batting lead off or 3rd so it isn't necessarily his job to be looking for walks; although I have seen him work several to keep innings moving along. On defense he is a keystone. He makes both the routine and outsanding plays with regularity. His youth did show on that deal with Pujols the other nite but this is after all just his 2nd full season in the majors.

I can understand a person saying they want to see this kind of performace from him for several years before starting to consider him a peer of Larkin; but what he has done this year for a single season performance is actually very Larkinesque in my opinion.

He is second in GIDP in the NL. He has flaws like any other player.

jhiller21
09-06-2007, 04:09 AM
B. Phil is one of the most talented 2nd baseman I've ever seen. From the play that ended the game last week, to his 28th homer... it makes all the bad moves by WK seem tolerable. He got BP for nothing, and that's a fact.

All you kids trying to replicate the "lean" after a homerun, don't bother. Brandon has got it down pat.

jhiller21
09-06-2007, 04:38 AM
yeah, you are right. Brandon Phillips is the most underrated 2nd baseman in the league. He's the best in the NL behind Chase Utley I think. He got robbed when he misssed out on the All Star game this year. He was alot more deserving than Freddy Sanchez. I believe he's our best all around player other than Aaron Harang. I think all around he is even better than Griffey because he plays gold glove defense, and he is a much bigger threat on the bases.

B. Phil's fantasy numbers actually rank him first among NL 2nd basemen. If he doesn't win the gold glove there's something wrong.

He leads in fielding percentage, OPS, and not to mention stolen bases.

Orenda
09-06-2007, 09:21 AM
B. Phil is one of the most talented 2nd baseman I've ever seen. From the play that ended the game last week, to his 28th homer... it makes all the bad moves by WK seem tolerable. He got BP for nothing, and that's a fact.

Actually thats just a stated opinion. Because fact is, he was traded for Jeff Stevens. Great move by Krivsky. To PTBNL's credit, he has pitched very well at two different levels this season. Well enough that if he were still in the reds organization, people in the minors forum would probably at least consider him a promising relief prospect. Still a great move by Krivsky! On the other hand, players like Stevens can be very valuable to an organization by contributing for a lesser price than say a Mike Stanton. Also if you consider the bullpen has kept the reds out of a wide open division for the second straight season than maybe you might see some value in a reliever. My point is, Brandon Phillips and Jeff Stevens are both living, breathing, ballplayers, which is really something.

mound_patrol
09-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Brandon Phillips is a great player. But a 4th hitter he is not. I can see the arguement against lefties, but against righties he should hit 5th. With his approach he should be hitting behind Dunn and Griffey. He's better at driving runs in then he is at getting on base. Dunn and Griffey will get on base at a higher frequency while also still being able to drive guys in. Let the free swinger take his hacks in the 5th spot.

Orenda
09-06-2007, 10:10 AM
I like phillips hitting 4th over dunn. no reason

SMcGavin
09-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Brandon Phillips is a great player. But a 4th hitter he is not. I can see the arguement against lefties, but against righties he should hit 5th. With his approach he should be hitting behind Dunn and Griffey. He's better at driving runs in then he is at getting on base. Dunn and Griffey will get on base at a higher frequency while also still being able to drive guys in. Let the free swinger take his hacks in the 5th spot.

Yep, Brandon is pretty much an ideal #5 hitter, a free swinging power guy. He can't take a walk but that will be less of a concern with guys on base as pitchers will be reluctant to hit around him. Also with guys on base, this is the time when singles really are better than walks, so you stick a guy here who has a AVG-driven OBP. This really shouldn't be that complicated. Put the guys who get on base at the top of the lineup, put the BPs of the world behind them.

GoReds33
09-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Orlando Hudson is out today with a torn ligament in his finger. They said his status is uncertain. That might have cemented the gold glove for B-Phil. I certanly hope so.

BLEEDS
09-08-2007, 01:57 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That was a typo, obviously I meant OBP, not OPS... he can slug, just can't get on base very often. IF your OBP is a shade over .333, you aren't going to hit .300...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
09-08-2007, 02:05 PM

Totally Agree. His OBP doesn't warrant him hitting in the 4th spot. People are going to throw to him for fear of having to face Dunn - that's why he's getting so many RBI's. I think he would get the same with guys like Dunn batting ahead of him, it would also benefit the team MORE to have Dunn batting ahead of him - as he would see better pitches with a legit hitter behind him.

5th is ideal, maybe even 3rd..

I think Votto and Bruce are going to make this decision easier as they both seem to have much better plate discipline. By 2009, you could put Phillips or Bruce 3rd, Dunn 4th, 5th could go to BP then put Votto behind him to give BP the protection he needs.

We could realistically have 4 guys in a row with 20-30HR power batting 3-6, and if you bat Hamilton at the top and Gonzo last, that's two more 20 HR power guys. Ross hit 20 last year, it would be amazing. Bruce, Votto, and Dunn are going to vastly improve the OPS of this team long-term. The future is bright - assuming we keep Dunn long term.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

kaldaniels
09-14-2007, 08:46 PM
OK...thats it. The Brandon Phillips acquistion is WK's most significant event since becoming GM, good or bad. One for one, it trumps any one poor decision WK has made up to this point.

RedDevil
09-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Can Phillips get to 100 RBIs?

RedDevil
09-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Phillips apologizes

Brandon Phillips apologized to Pete Mackanin last night after Phillips broke slowly out of the box on a ball that he thought was going out. The ball ended up hitting off the wall, and Phillips got thrown out at second.

"It cost us a run," he said. "That pissed me off. If it cost us the game, it would have really pissed me off. I apologized. That's not me. I've been hustling all year."

Mackanin would have said something to Phillips, but Phillips approached him.

"He came up to me," Mackanin said. "We spoke. We'll talk some more. It doesn't go unnoticed."

Had the ball gone out, it would have put Phillips in the 30-30 club.

"I wish it went out," he said. "I want to get it over with. I've been trying. I've got to stop trying and let it come."

Phillips thinks tonight could be the night for 30-30.

"Hopefully," he said. "I feel it."

AmarilloRed
09-21-2007, 01:00 AM
One major flaw that Brandon has is that he has 26 GIDP on the year. That is Grounded Into Double Plays. Until he learns to stop doing that, the manager should stop hitting him in the middle of the order. It simply kills rallies to have a man on, and have Brandon hit into a GIDP.