PDA

View Full Version : Cunningham has no class: Griffey a "disgrace", Dunn "Drunk, a Monkey, and Black" ...

Kradokk
08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Being a resident of California all my life, I haven't grown up listening to WLW. I inherited my love for the Reds from my father, grandfather and great-grandfather, all Ohio natives.

This morning, when I got in my car Bill Cunningham was on WLW (via XM) where I had left it last night while listening to the post game show. Cunningham, while I appreciate his zeal, called out Griffey, Dunn, Castellini, and PM.

Some of his choice comments:

-Griffey is a disgrace to the All-Century team, and to baseball in general.
-Griffey deserves to be stripped of his uniform until he calls a press conference to apologize to baseball fans everywhere for his lack of effort over the years.
-Griffey needs to be sat until such time as he learns to hustle. -Griffey should hang it up, and give a $100 million back to Cincinnati.

-Dunn looks like a monkey with a football in left field.
-He continues to insinuate that Dunn was drunk, and in fact is willing to wager that he would have at least blown a .15 on a sobriety test.
-He also referred to Adam Dunn saying "I guess Adam Dunn is black now", which I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, I don't think racial comments are necessary.
-He insists the Reds refuse Dunn's option and pick up a better LF on the Free Agent market
- He speculated that Dunn and Griffey bet on the Pirates to win, and thus could possibly have been trying to throw the game.

-Arroyo should be punished for coming out after 80 pitches.

-Pete Mackanin needs to sit Dunn and Griffey until they apologize. If he chooses not to, he has "little soft ones".

- Castellini needs to fire PM, unless he puts his stamp on this club by sitting Jr and Dunn.

I will tell you, I havent been this disgusted with a talk radio personality in as long as I can remember. Is this truly representative of the feelings of the City of Cincinnati?

Griffey has had his problems, but he was always a high-effort guy. His effort resulted in his body breaking down, but he continued to show that effort, and showed it two-fold when he came back from serious injuries time and time again. As for Griffey and the LONG singles he has been watching. There really is no excuse, but if you had hit the ball the same way, for the last 25 years, and suddenly, it starts falling 10 feet short, you would be stunned as well. Maybe Juniors real problem is coming to the realization he isnt the player he used to be, and adjusting accordingly. Griffey is still good, and can still produce solid offense. The real question will be is he still watching his LONG singles next season? Give the guy a chance to admit to himself he has lost a bit of pop, and adjust before we call for him to be stripped of his uniform.

Dunn, while I cannot comment on his sobriety, made his share of mistakes. He would never even win a "Lead Glove" award in LF, and we can all debate where he should move. The reality is, his worth offensively is far more than what we would get for 13 million on the market this winter. Letting him walk for nothing except compensation picks, would put a serious dent in the offense. Even as good as Bruce is, the odds he puts up Dunn like numbers for the Reds next year is slim. 2009? who knows. Calling Dunn a monkey, and black are both completely out of line. Also, with the Reds history, do you REALLY want to make a claim that Griffey and Dunn were trying to throw the game? Classless all the way around.

Arroyo, gives the Reds tons of innings. Is Bill trying to say he has never gotten halfway through a workday, felt under the weather, and asked to go home early? Yeah right. If one of my employees that work for me gave me 110% every time they came to work, then once a year had to go home early, I wouldn't even think twice.

Bill, a guy who spends all day talking, has no right to question if Pete M has "little soft ones". Last I checked he didnt work for the Reds front office, and has no idea what orders PM gets.

I could go on for hours, but I never listened to Cunningham before, and sure as hell wont now. The Reds are his hometown team, you dont slander the hell out of them, no matter how you feel.

Bill needs to go to some more games, or at least stay until the seventh inning stretch. He is missing on of the most important things about baseball. "...its root, root root for the HOME TEAM, if they dont win its a shame..."

BurgervilleBuck
08-31-2007, 03:01 PM
I didn't think anyone listened to Bill Cunningham anymore. He's the prime reason I turn off 700 WLW just as soon as Marty says, "Goodnight, everybody".

Degenerate39
08-31-2007, 03:57 PM
I just lost several brain cellls from reading this.

Muggerd
08-31-2007, 03:58 PM
I just lost several brain cellls from reading this.

:eek:

jfleur87
08-31-2007, 04:32 PM
that seemed rude

Degenerate39
08-31-2007, 04:34 PM
that seemed rude

Don't forget racist

roby
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Cunningham will do anything to get some attention. He has made some of the most ridiculous remarks over the years...it would be best if everyone would just not listen to his stupid show.

Kradokk
08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Cunningham will do anything to get some attention. He has made some of the most ridiculous remarks over the years...it would be best if everyone would just not listen to his stupid show.

Being from and living in CA, this was the first I had really heard Cunningham. He has been on before, but as I am not from the area, I always immediately switched to more local content.

It amazes me how unpopular the guy is, yet he seems to preach as if he is the voice of Cincinnati.

jimbo
08-31-2007, 05:18 PM
It amazes me how unpopular the guy is, yet he seems to preach as if he is the voice of Cincinnati.

If he was so unpopular, he wouldn't have a show everyday of the week during the heart of the afternoon. Somebody is listening.

DannyB
08-31-2007, 05:21 PM
He has always been loud and obnoxious.For awhile ,when Furman was there it was like a contest to see which was louder.I had to stop listening to both of them.

Kradokk
08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
If he was so unpopular, he wouldn't have a show everyday of the week during the heart of the afternoon. Somebody is listening.

His comments about the Reds were rather unpopular. This is the only time I have ever listened to him, but his callers were not too happy. That is what i meant by unpopular. Someone IS listening, for sure.

Redlegs
08-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Lighten up, folks. Bill Cunningham is the most entertaining voice in the history of Cincinnati radio. He's a very intellegent man who's humor is unmatched. Long live the "Voice of the common man".

BTW, Griffey's lack of hustle in the 9th inning was crap, anyway you look at it.

Muggerd
08-31-2007, 06:51 PM
I think a lot of people dont understand Cunningham and take his comments word for word. Maybe I am wrong but a lot of things he says is tongue and cheek. I didnt hear these comments today though.

fadetoblack2880
08-31-2007, 07:22 PM
As long as he makes remarks like the ones mentioned and gets the response he recieves for making these type of comments, he will continue to have a radio show. It brings ratings. People want to hear what he says next, so they continue listening. It's kind of like Stern used to be. Cunningham is no Howard Stern, but his comments get people talking. And listening...

Natty Redlocks
08-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Lighten up, folks. Bill Cunningham is the most entertaining voice in the history of Cincinnati radio. He's a very intellegent man who's humor is unmatched. Long live the "Voice of the common man".

BTW, Griffey's lack of hustle in the 9th inning was crap, anyway you look at it.

Mostly agree. Though I'm not sure he's as funny as the fact that you misspelled "intelligent". But he is pretty funny and he tries to say outrageous stuff because it makes good radio; you're not supposed to take it seriously. He exaggerates for effect.

And I've gone from criticizing Junior heavily to defending him to pretty much not caring anymore. The pitching on this team makes the position players beside the point.

Maldez
08-31-2007, 11:23 PM
Bill Cunningham's shtick is so old and tired I can't stand the sound of his voice.

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-01-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm paraphrasing but Cunningham said he was complaining about Dunn also so no one would say he was making racial remarks---what was said exactly that is incorrect??

Vada Pinson Fan
09-01-2007, 01:29 AM
I heard Bill Cunningham's onslaught against primarily Griffey and Dunn, Friday afternoon. What Kradokk said, is what I heard on WLW, more or less, but generally correct. I believe Andy Fuhrman was fired from WLW for his comments concerning TJ Houshmanzedah, which after today seemed to be a lot more tame than what Mr. Cunningham said about Dunn and Griffey Jr. Bill Cunningham is a shock jock in every sense of the word. I also know that Bill Cunningham can be a very good personality on the radio when he wants to be. Just like Dunn and Griffey- these two baseball players can be great All-Around ball players when they want to. Too bad for all concerned it seems to be far less than they choose to give. Too often their effort is lacking. Perhaps instead of using "is lacking" STINKS would be a better choice. Is it too much too ask Norris Hopper, Jeff Keppinger and Tom Shearn to hustle on every play? Of course not because those career minor leaguers don't have to be asked or told to hustle! They do it because it's the right way to play baseball and sports in general! I'd love to know what the young guys think when they see their star teammates not hustling. Why doesn't Castellini, Krivsky and Mackanin address this issue once and for all and then fine and/or bench or demote, as was the case in Edwin Encarnacion's gaffe during Jerry Narron's tenure this summer, the guilty players? Hey, Front Office- Show some leadership here!!!

For someone who has hit 592 home runs, it's amazing that Ken Griffey Jr. has to admire each ball he thinks has a chance to go out. The flight of every possible/potential home run ball that KGJ hits, turns many balls hit off the wall into mere singles. KGJ does a similar thing on a ball that he presumes will be caught. He no longer runs them out, at least he doesn't run it out hard/fast. Adam Dunn is basically doing the same thing, although he doesn't do a little hop skip out of the batter's box like Griffey does when he thinks he's had a home run. I just about want to spew when I see KGJ do that. What is with these guys that they can't/won't hustle 100% anymore? Griffey is healthy this year, at least healthier than he's been in preceding years. Doesn't he realize he is looked up to by thousands of fans in person and on TV, watching games that he participates in? How can he justify his actions for being someone who doesn't hustle? It's just not the occasional thing occuring here. It's way, way more frequent than that, and its a shame! In general, the same goes for Adam Dunn. Is it too much to ask for these pampered ballplayers to bust their butts for three hours a night? I have become increasingly disgusted with the play of Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn and some other Reds, who on occasion are beginning to do the same things as AD and KGJ. And we know who they are.

How can Bill Cunningham, on the public airwaves, accuse Adam Dunn of being drunk at a level of quote ".15". Bill Cunningham is a lawyer. He must realize the repercussions he may be placing on himself and his employer for saying such inflammatory accusations against Adam Dunn of being drunk in public and while performing his (Dunn's) job.

I am truly at a loss to accurately write how I feel. I'm disappointed in Bill Cunningham, for his uncalled for words today. I'm further disappointed in Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn. These two are the big-money players on the Cincinnati Reds. They should lead by example, but what a poor example it is that they're setting for these younger Reds players to follow. Someone needs to tell Mr. Griffey and Mr. Dunn this isn't how Cincinnati Reds baseball is played! Is everyone in the Cincinnati media afraid to ask Griffey and Dunn, while on live TV, why is it that they don't feel the need to always hustle while on the field, representing not only themselves, but also the city of Cincinnati and the team that pays their salary? In baseball, you're resting half of the game anyway, while on the bench waiting to hit! How tired can you be that you can't hustle while on the field or while hitting or running(???) the bases?

Please don't rest on your laurels, Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn. Anyone, in any profession can be replaced. I hope it's not the case that you may be too much of a fat cat and no longer care. What a waste of talent from both of you. To be more exact, what a waste of talent from all three of you if you continue doing as you have been.

What a shame...

Orenda
09-01-2007, 07:29 AM
You all have pretty much summed up Bill Cunningham. I'm not a fan of his so I simply try to avoid his show. If you don't agree or don't take his show for the entertainment factor, then do yourself a favor and turn him off. The ironic thing is that being involved in this thread makes me something of a hypocrite, because the more response the better for one Bill Cunningham.

HUHUH
09-01-2007, 07:43 AM
For someone who has hit 592 home runs, it's amazing that Ken Griffey Jr. has to admire each ball he thinks has a chance to go out. The flight of every possible/potential home run ball that KGJ hits, turns many balls hit off the wall into mere singles. KGJ does a similar thing on a ball that he presumes will be caught. He no longer runs them out, at least he doesn't run it out hard/fast. Adam Dunn is basically doing the same thing, although he doesn't do a little hop skip out of the batter's box like Griffey does when he thinks he's had a home run. I just about want to spew when I see KGJ do that. What is with these guys that they can't/won't hustle 100% anymore? Griffey is healthy this year, at least healthier than he's been in preceding years. Doesn't he realize he is looked up to by thousands of fans in person and on TV, watching games that he participates in? How can he justify his actions for being someone who doesn't hustle? It's just not the occasional thing occuring here. It's way, way more frequent than that, and its a shame! In general, the same goes for Adam Dunn. Is it too much to ask for these pampered ballplayers to bust their butts for three hours a night? I have become increasingly disgusted with the play of Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn and some other Reds, who on occasion are beginning to do the same things as AD and KGJ. And we know who they are.

In baseball, you're resting half of the game anyway, while on the bench waiting to hit! How tired can you be that you can't hustle while on the field or while hitting or running(???) the bases?

What a shame...

I've complained about this for a long time. The most important effect of the lackluster effort from Dunn and Griffey is on leadership. The Reds have done nothing since these two clowns showed up. Get rid of them both, the sooner the better.

TC81190
09-01-2007, 11:16 AM
I've complained about this for a long time. The most important effect of the lackluster effort from Dunn and Griffey is on leadership. The Reds have done nothing since these two clowns showed up. Get rid of them both, the sooner the better.

Yeah, Griffey and Dunn, that's what's killed us for the past 7 years. Too bad they can't do anything to complement our excellent pitching. :laugh:

scounts22
09-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Bill Cunningham's shtick is so old and tired I can't stand the sound of his voice.

This is how I feel about Tracy Jones. I seriously can't stand hearing "I played the game" every 2 minutes. I also can't stand the fact that he interrupts his callers when they've only said about 4 words. He just likes to hear the sound of his voice and it makes me naucious.

I feel better now. Thank you.:)

big boy
09-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Is there a link to the Cunningham comments?

jnwohio
09-01-2007, 02:34 PM
This is how I feel about Tracy Jones. I seriously can't stand hearing "I played the game" every 2 minutes. I also can't stand the fact that he interrupts his callers when they've only said about 4 words. He just likes to hear the sound of his voice and it makes me naucious.

I feel better now. Thank you.:)

Tracy Jones' personality can seem obnoxious if you take him seriously; and, I understand those who dislike him because he doesn't stick to baseball on what is supposedly a baseball call in show.

However it is being unfair to Jones to mention him in the same context as a guy who spews the kind of hurtfull garbage Cunningham does.

When Burbank has retired, the only time my radio will be tuned to 700 is for Reds coverage.

GoReds33
09-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I think that if a guy like Imus would have said this it would have been overlooked. None the less, Cunningham is a disgrace to Cincinnati sports fans with his constant bickering about the Reds. I would love to see him fired. I can't stand his show.

Muggerd
09-01-2007, 04:00 PM
It amazes me how many really dont understand what shock radio is. Guys you really need to learn to take his show as tongue and cheek. Its fairly easy to tell when hes being serious and when hes not.

GoReds33
09-01-2007, 04:24 PM
It amazes me how many really dont understand what shock radio is. Guys you really need to learn to take his show as tongue and cheek. Its fairly easy to tell when hes being serious and when hes not.I understand the concept of shock radio, and shock jocks. Thats not the point. If a guy wants to make a living bashing the Reds he should move to LA. Thats all I'm sayin. I have no problem with him bashing us. I just wish he wouldn't bash his home town team.:cool:

Vada Pinson Fan
09-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Here is the link http://www.700wlw.com/cc-common/podcast.html for the first segment of the "Junior Bashing".
Scroll down to the right side of the WLW site to where it says "Bill Cunningham on Demand".
There are 2 "Listen" to links from the Cunningham show: "Hour One" and "Hour Two".
I'm using Windows XP with Windows Media Player and Real Player installed and had no trouble listening to the link.

There is also a "2nd Hour" link w/ Cunningham continuing his statements about Griffey and Dunn provided at the WLW website found under "Personalities"-Bill Cunningham. Radio commentary from the Reds game w/ announcers Marty and Thom Brennaman deploring the lack of hustle. I'm listening now to the Cunningham statements about the two Reds players and others from the "Listen" tab from the above link. It is a must hear, for many different reasons.

redsfan1966
09-01-2007, 04:33 PM
I did not hear first hand the comments in question. However, I will state first that I do listen to "Willie" on a semi-regular basis--I go back and forth between him and Jim Rome--and what one must realize (and I think most do) is that his show is pretty much "schtick"; he is like the WWE in that he is not to be taken seriously. He has admitted as much in articles in the past. I remember one article a few years ago in "Cincinnati Magazine" where he admitted to taking both stands on an issue during one show just to "create controversy". And yes, Mr. Cunningham is very popular--as his ratings usually attest.

Vada Pinson Fan
09-01-2007, 04:34 PM
It amazes me how many really dont understand what shock radio is. Guys you really need to learn to take his show as tongue and cheek. Its fairly easy to tell when hes being serious and when hes not.

Ok, here is the definition from Answers.com:
shock radio
n.
Talk radio featuring derogatory or offensive remarks, vulgar language, and crude humor.

The Cunningham show from yesterday, in my opinion included; derogatory or offensive remarks. I didn't hear "vulgar" language. "Crude humor" in this case may or may not be subjective.

Muggerd
09-01-2007, 04:36 PM
shock radio
n.
Talk radio featuring derogatory or offensive remarks, vulgar language, and crude humor.

The Cunningham show from yesterday, in my opinion included; derogatory or offensive remarks. I didn't hear "vulgar" language. "Crude humor" in this case may or may not be subjective.

So you are saying I am wrong saying shock radio or are you trying to say I am right?

GoReds33
09-01-2007, 04:42 PM
shock radio
n.

The Cunningham show from yesterday, in my opinion included; derogatory or offensive remarks. I didn't hear "vulgar" language. "Crude humor" in this case may or may not be subjective.I guess that clears it up. He does do this stuff to provide an opinion that is controversial. I guess some people listen to his show. I though, am not one of them.:)

Vada Pinson Fan
09-01-2007, 04:55 PM
So you are saying I am wrong saying shock radio or are you trying to say I am right?

Neither. Just a clarification. :)

Muggerd
09-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Neither. Just a clarification. :)

Well its shock radio, if you don't think it is its your mistake.

Vada Pinson Fan
09-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Well its shock radio, if you don't think it is its your mistake.

Relax. I provided the definition for you and others. Therein lies your answer. If you're still wondering Muggerd, it was. And yes, I'm sure all of the Redszoners here knew that. We have an intelligent base of Reds fans here!

It's why I like to participate! I do appreciate your posts as welll!!!

scounts22
09-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Tracy Jones' personality can seem obnoxious if you take him seriously; and, I understand those who dislike him because he doesn't stick to baseball on what is supposedly a baseball call in show.

However it is being unfair to Jones to mention him in the same context as a guy who spews the kind of hurtfull garbage Cunningham does.

When Burbank has retired, the only time my radio will be tuned to 700 is for Reds coverage.

I understand what you're saying, I was just merely saying that I can't listen to him too long because I feel a lot of it is nonsense that goes on and on and it just drives me nuts. I don't really appreciate that kind of radio so I don't listen to it often. I guess I wish it was more of an intelligent discussion between the personality and caller instead of sarcasm and narcisism on the part of the host.

Also, regarding Cunningham, I will say I've not really listened to him. I'm not from the Cincinnati area, so the only time I really listen to WLW is during Reds games and sometimes after.

Furthermore I do understand that my comments are not directly related to the original content of the thread, but I felt my sentiments somewhat echoed those of the quote I responded to.:)

goreds2
09-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Cunningham is ranked number 82 in Talkers Magazine top 100.

http://www.talkers.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=44

tripleaaaron
09-02-2007, 01:13 AM
While most of his comments were quite "shocking" I agree with his statements on Arroyo, and no he doesn't give 110% everytime. He complains that he doesn't pitch well in day games because he "doesn't sleep very well". That is hilarious maybe it has to do with the fact that he is on main street in covington every night until the bars close, and who knows where after. If you are getting paid that much money to pitch every 5th day and it so happens to fall on a day game. DONT GO TO THE BARS ALL NIGHT. I make very little money and am not in the spotlight whatsoever, but I still take my crappy jobs seriously. Give me a break Bronson gives 110%, he is to busy trying to be a rockstar rather than a good pitcher.

Ludwig Reds Fan
09-02-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure what was so shocking...

Arroyo doesn't give 100 percent in all games. How many poor pitching performances were a result of just being hungover? We will never know, but that brings me to another thing Cunningham said:

Dunn being drunk. OK he is obviously not drunk, but it is like when you see the car ahead of you swerving all over the road or driving like 10mph on the highway, you think to yourself, "I hope you're drunk, otherwise you have no excuse."

Cunningham exaggerates, yes. It is shock radio. But the points he exaggerates are legitimate ones.

And nobody in their right minds think that Griffey and Dunn have been part of the problem this past million years with the Reds. But they aren't really part of the solution either. They are just there. Somedays I wonder if they are taking bong hits in the clubhouse before ABs.

Kradokk
09-02-2007, 01:12 PM
By Bronson giving 110%, I meant that this is a guy who stayed in many games WAY to long, who gave you over 240 innings last year, will give you another 200+ this year. Bronson is good for nearly 7 innings and 100+ pitches per start.

Yeah, you can say that is what he is paid to do. You can say this is his job. However, he is a reliable pitcher who had gone less than 80 pitches only twice this entire season. In this day of pitch counts and limits, Arroyo has given solid performances for the last 2 seasons. Letting him out of a game after 80 pitches isnt THAT big of a deal.

Now if it happens consistently, well that is another story.

tripleaaaron
09-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Just because he shows up we should all thank him? Thats a lindneresque attitude. I wish my job only depended on me showing up and staying for the duration with no regards to my performance.

GoReds33
09-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Just because he shows up we should all thank him? Thats a lindneresque attitude. I wish my job only depended on me showing up and staying for the duration with no regards to my performance.Don't we all? Sadly there aren't many, if any of those jobs out there.:cool:

gilpdawg
09-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Cunningham is ranked number 82 in Talkers Magazine top 100.

http://www.talkers.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=44

How about that #6 show there? :)

HUHUH
09-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Yeah, Griffey and Dunn, that's what's killed us for the past 7 years. Too bad they can't do anything to complement our excellent pitching. :laugh:

Oh but they have had plenty of effect on our pitching.
What percent of the payroll do they eat up again?

gedred69
09-05-2007, 07:47 PM
His comments about the Reds were rather unpopular. This is the only time I have ever listened to him, but his callers were not too happy. That is what i meant by unpopular. Someone IS listening, for sure.

Yep, there will always people listening for the resulting fireworks. And that is Willie's schtick. He wants to bring out the crazies,------pro and con, ----knowing full well a lot of people can't resist observing the nasty fight, that will result from his outrageous commentaries. I bet he's playing with himself when people start calling in to respond!

DTCromer
09-05-2007, 09:04 PM
I compare Jim Rome to Willie Cunningham. The only thing they do different is Rome has sports and Willie mainly covers politics.

If you don't understand Willie or take him too seriously, you're never going to like him. Some people need to loosen up around here and stop being so uptight about every little bad thing someone says about a player.

Degenerate39
09-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Cunningham apologizes to Dunn
BY JOHN FAY

WLW talk show host Bill Cunningham apologized to Adam Dunn for a remark Cunningham made about Dunn on his show Friday.

Cunningham said Dunn was "drunk" while playing in a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

"I apologized," Cunningham said. "That's all I'm going to say. I made a mistake."

Following the Reds' victory over Pittsburgh, Cunningham singled out Dunn and outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. for what he called a lack of hustle.

In the game, Dunn missed third base in the fourth inning, costing the Reds two runs. The next day, Cunningham said Griffey should never wear a Reds uniform again, and he said Dunn was drunk during the game.

"Adam Dunn looks like a monkey with a football in left field," Cunningham said on the air. "He has to have consequences for what he does. That is again a loafing ballplayer who ... would have blew a .15 if someone gave (him) the intoxilizer last night. I say .15. The son of a gun is drunk. And he's playing baseball in left field for the Redlegs."

Cunningham and Dunn talked briefly in the Reds' clubhouse before Wednesday's game.

Asked if he accepted the apology, Dunn shrugged. Dunn willingly accepts harsh criticism for his play.

"Say I stink, I suck, whatever," Dunn said. "But when my mom's friend hears it and calls her, then (my mom) calls me crying her eyes out ... That's over the line. People believe that stuff."

AmarilloRed
09-07-2007, 01:10 AM
I am sure this incident will not help the Reds' attempt to re-sign Dunn to a LTC.

Jr's Boy
09-07-2007, 02:18 AM
He's as good as gone.No way the Reds can afford to resign him if he becomes a free agent.He will command bookoo bucks on the market.

Redhook
09-07-2007, 08:36 AM
The boys on 1530, Doyle and Egger, were ripping Dunn apart yesterday for pulling out the "mom card". I actually agree it was kind of weak to pull that out.

Willie went way over-the-top with his comments, obviously. He could've/should've said Dunn was playing "like" he was drunk, not playing drunk, if he was going to mention it at all. I think one word would've made a big difference.

I'm not a fan of Willie, at all. But, at least he manned-up and went to the Reds clubhouse to make an apology. Dunn should've accepted it and moved on. However, Dunn refused it, threatened him, and pulled out the "mom card". Now Dunner looks like the fool.

Unfortunately, Dunn needs to get out of this city. He's not appreciated and he constantly gets blasted by the media here. At this point in time, with the money he's going to make, the atmosphere in the clubhouse, and the angst going on with him, I believe it'd be best if he and the Reds parted ways after the season. It's not going to be fun when that happens. I just hope the Reds at least get a decent return for him.

durl
09-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Honestly, I don't really see the "mom" card as a bad thing.

Dunn, in a way, was reminding these guys at the radio stations that their words have impact. Talk show hosts can sit in a room with just one or two others around and act like they're having a private conversation or say things for "shock value," hiding in the isolation of a studio, but their words mean things to those who hear them. Would Cunningham have said the things he did if Dunn or Dunn's family members were in the room? I seriously doubt it. But give him a microphone and the restraint of decency fades away. Doing or saying something for "shock value" doesn't free one from the responsibility of their actions.

Dunn doesn't look like a fool to me. Still, I agree that he should have accepted the apology and moved on.

cReds1
09-07-2007, 12:12 PM

They have in a sense due to the amount of money the Reds pay both of them and wait until next year when they have to pay Dunn even more. Get different outfielders and use the extra money to get the pitching you speak of. It is simple as that. Also, the dumb signing of the Free Agent pitchers all ready on this team, especially Eric Milton. Well, maybe giving this organization more money to blow on Free Agents is not the right thing to do, but this is a new ownership so they need to do something besides the norm, right.

Plus, I thought players never listen or care what these Shock Jocks talk about? I guess they really do. If Dunn's mother knows this is not true then why make a big deal out of it.