PDA

View Full Version : Marlins Claim Mets Prospect

reds44
09-12-2007, 06:20 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7e/MarcosCarvajal.jpg/200px-MarcosCarvajal.jpg

The Marlins announced the signing of Mets prospect Marcos Carvajal this afternoon as he was placed on the 40 man roster with Aaron Boone going on the 60 day disabled list. Carvajal was originally signed as a 16 year old as an amateur free agent by the Los Angeles Dodgers back in 2000. He wouldn't make his professional debut in the states until 2002 when he pitched in Rookie ball in the Gulf Coast League. In 42 innings, he had a 1.71era and 1.07whip to go with a 35:15 strikeouts to walk ratio. After the 2004 season he selected in the Rule V draft by the Brewers and was traded out to Colorado right away. Obviously not ready for the bigs, Marcos got hit hard at the major league level sporting a 5.09era in 53 innings of major league work. He was striking out nearly 8 batters per 9, which showed he certainly had the potential to strike out major league hitters.

The Rockies then traded him to Seattle in exchange for catcher Yorvit Torrealba. The Mariners sent him packing to Tampa where he pitched in AA Montgomery. For the Biscuits, Carvajal went 2-2 with a 3.86era in 72.1 innings pitched. A major issue has been control with him as he was walking just about 5 batters per 9. The Mets claimed him off waivers heading into the 2007 season where he was used as a starter in AA Binghamton. While in the Eastern League, Marcos went 5-10 with a 5.22era in 119 innings pitched. He walked 63 to just 92 strikeouts while giving up 120 hits as well.

The 6-4 righthander throws in the low to mid 90s and can hit 97mph with good movement when he pushes it. He has a an average slider (which is much improved) but his best pitch would be his changeup. His problem though isn't missing bats.... it's missing the plate. He walks too many guys (177 walks in 346.1ip = 4.60 bb/9). If he can keep his slider somewhat near the strikezone, he can be unhittable as shown by his 303 hits allowed in 346 innings of minor league work.

This kid still has excellent stuff and with a tweak here and there he could be a devastating arm in the bullpen (or possibly as a starter). He has a closer's mentality with closer's stuff. His 1-2-3 repertoire of fastball-changeup-slider can make him unhittable at times and he will have a legit chance to make the Marlins big club out of camp in ST'08. Welcome to the Marlins, MC.

Just a stupid move by the Mets. I understand they need to make room on the 40 man roster, but why not waive a guy like David Newhan? Great pickup for the Marlins.

It's a shame he didn't fall to us. I think WK would have put in a claim for sure.

Ben
09-12-2007, 08:56 PM
When I was in the DC/Baltimore area in early August, my uncle and I went to a Bowie Baysox game vs the Binghampton Mets and Carvajal pitched for the Mets. The scouting report is dead on. With Carvajal, his motion to home plate is so smooth. He kind of reminds me of the "starter" version of Jared Burton with even more velocity (a range of 88-90 in the 1st, followed by 93-97 in the subsquent innings). He didn't have very good control when we saw him, but his delivery reminds me of Johan Santana's. If he can develop any semblence of control, I think he's going to be a stud. Like Reds44 said this is a very shrewd pickup for the Marlins.