PDA

View Full Version : Encarnacion to Giants maybe?

Prf15
09-13-2007, 07:30 AM
On mlbtraderumors.com it said the Giants could trade Noah Lowry in the off-season and they said Encarnacion is one of the players who they could look at.

Lowry would be a good pickup for WK, I am a big fan of Edwin and think he will be a solid 3rd basemen but we need Starting Pitching and when we can just plug in Keppinger at 3rd it sounds like a good deal.

Edwin has a amazing glove, all his defensive problems have been when he was throwing.

mound_patrol
09-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Isn't lowry a soft tossing lefty? I'm hesitant on a guy that doesnt throw hard and gets the majority of his numbers from pitching in a pitchers park the majority of the time.

Orenda
09-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Edwin's defense seems to be much improved and he has recovered from his slump offensively. He is a piece I'd be looking to hold onto considering the reds will be losing offense from Jr. and possibly Dunn in the next year or two.

Natty Redlocks
09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Edwin's defense seems to be much improved and he has recovered from his slump offensively. He is a piece I'd be looking to hold onto considering the reds will be losing offense from Jr. and possibly Dunn in the next year or two.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's possible Encarnacion focused so much on his defense that his offense suffered; he has improved his throwing significantly. I'd love to see them just leave him alone next year and watch him break out.

Also, as they're pointing out on ORG, Lowry would probably be nothing special in this ballpark.

Redsnake
09-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Didn't Lowry strikeout 174 batters less than 2 or 3 years ago? I know there are some concerned with him and his injuries, but I would love to have him. Free agent pitchers will not come to Cincy without over paying. Landing a young arm like Lowry and being able to replace E.E. with Kepp. is fine by me. Maybe the Reds can up the package and get someone like Brian Wilson or Hennessey added in the deal.

Jay Bruce
09-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Didn't Lowry strikeout 174 batters less than 2 or 3 years ago? I know there are some concerned with him and his injuries, but I would love to have him. Free agent pitchers will not come to Cincy without over paying. Landing a young arm like Lowry and being able to replace E.E. with Kepp. is fine by me. Maybe the Reds can up the package and get someone like Brian Wilson or Hennessey added in the deal.

While Lowry did have 172 K's in 2005, his K/9 has sharply decreased to 4.74 in 2006 and 5.02 this year. In addition, the BB/9 rate for Lowry this year has increased to a horrible 5.02. What has made him effective this year is an ability to keep the ball in the park. However, his HR/FB % has consistently been under 9%, suggesting that playing in AT&T park has a huge hand in this ability. If we were offered Lowry for Encarnacion after the 2005 season, I would have done it without hesitation. However, the peripheral numbers of Lowry have taken a startling turn for the worse over the last two years, making him a gamble I don't want to take.

Redsnake
09-13-2007, 01:39 PM
While Lowry did have 172 K's in 2005, his K/9 has sharply decreased to 4.74 in 2006 and 5.02 this year. In addition, the BB/9 rate for Lowry this year has increased to a horrible 5.02. What has made him effective this year is an ability to keep the ball in the park. However, his HR/FB % has consistently been under 9%, suggesting that playing in AT&T park has a huge hand in this ability. If we were offered Lowry for Encarnacion after the 2005 season, I would have done it without hesitation. However, the peripheral numbers of Lowry have taken a startling turn for the worse over the last two years, making him a gamble I don't want to take.

If we were offered Lowry for E.E. less than two months ago we would all be singing a different tune. Half of us would help E.E. pack. While Lowry's numbers haven't been favorable in the last 2 years, E.E. hasn't been great either.

My point is addition by subtraction.

Lose Edwin and a spot for a revolving subpar starting pitcher. And add a low strikeout/ high average everyday player in Keepinger and a bone-a-fide starting pitcher in Lowry. He might not be a #1, but he is a low cost 3/4 starter.

HokieRed
09-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I would never have traded Encarnacion, and I would not now. This is a 24 year old, already solid player at the toughest position on the field to fill properly--finding somebody who can field and hit. I can't believe anybody in the organization would even think of trading him. Keppinger is a nice fill in player but the two players are not even comparable.

Jay Bruce
09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
If we were offered Lowry for E.E. less than two months ago we would all be singing a different tune. Half of us would help E.E. pack. While Lowry's numbers haven't been favorable in the last 2 years, E.E. hasn't been great either.

My point is addition by subtraction.

Lose Edwin and a spot for a revolving subpar starting pitcher. And add a low strikeout/ high average everyday player in Keepinger and a bone-a-fide starting pitcher in Lowry. He might not be a #1, but he is a low cost 3/4 starter.

If we were offered Lowry for E.E two months ago, I would have been angry if it was accepted, because Lowry is very overrated, and a product of playing in a pitchers park. While his ERA is 3.92, his DIPS ERA is 4.85, showing that he has been lucky this year. If Lowry were to pitch in Cincinnati, I believe that he will be closer to a 5.00 ERA pitcher than a 4.00 ERA guy, and I want something more valuable than that for Encarnacion.While I was hoping for more from Encarnacion this year, he has been much better in the second half, where he has an .830 OPS.

In addition, I want no part in having Keppinger in the everyday lineup at third (unless we actually get a better pitcher than Lowry for E.E), regardless of the 190 PA he has had so far. His minor league stats show someone who will OPS in the .750 to .800 range over a full season, which only really profiles well at SS and 2B. He doesn't have the range to play SS regularly, and we have Phillips at second, meaning that his best role on the team is as a utility player.

nmculbreth
09-13-2007, 02:08 PM
The Giants have a number of quality, young pitchers that I'd be interested in obtaining but Noah Lowry is not one of them. With that being said I'd love to see the Reds work out a deal for Jonathan Sanchez. EE probably wouldn't be enough but I'd be willing to throw in a second / third tier prospect to get Sanchez.

AmarilloRed
09-13-2007, 02:22 PM
I believe we might see Edwin traded at some point, but I will imagine the Reds will hold out for the best starter they can get.

Redsnake
09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
The first offseason move that needs to be made is upgrading the starting pitching staff (second bullpen IMO). With the Reds not going to be players in free agency the rotation has to be upgraded by trades. If Lowry isn't good enough in some eyes and that's fine. But E.E. has a price and that is a quality starting pitcher in my eyes.

bigredbunter
09-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Now, if it was Kepp for Lowry....

bigredmechanism
09-13-2007, 04:28 PM
lowry = milton
ee is so young and has a lot of upside if were gonna trade him, wait til midseason when owns nl pitchers, or see his #s next year and maybe make no trade at all
i agree we need pitching but noah lowry aint the kind of pitching we need

Degenerate39
09-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Pass