PDA

View Full Version : Bengals sign LB Dhani Jones

WMR
09-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Will it help shore up the defense?

Reds Freak
09-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Will it help shore up the defense?

I know the name, not much about the player. First thought was special teams help though...

WMR
09-19-2007, 04:42 PM
The talking head I heard on ESPN was pretty high on him...

wish we could have signed Tank Johnson... he'd fit in great in Cincinnati.

RichRed
09-19-2007, 04:57 PM
He makes nice ties.

http://www.fivestarties.com/about.asp

Not sure how good a tackler he is these days though.

TeamSelig
09-19-2007, 04:58 PM
lol Tank Johnson is awesome. I seriously might have taken a chance on the career criminal.

MaineRed
09-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Dhani Jones is a fruit loop.

BoydsOfSummer
09-20-2007, 01:23 AM
It's way too late for Jones to help stop the vaunted Brownie offense. Maybe he'll help in December.:D

sonny
09-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Boooooooo.

Cedric
09-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Same ol Bengals. Until they realize that they have ZERO pass rush they won't win in this league. Football is about as simple as it gets and yet Marvin continues to show he has no clue. PUT PRESSURE ON THE QB! It's that simple.

camisadelgolf
09-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Going into the season, I thought the linebackers could be a strength of the Bengals. But then it was pretty much confirmed that David Pollack won't return this year, Odell Thurman wasn't reinstated, Eric Henderson was put on IR, Edgerton Hartwell was cut, and Rashad Jeanty has been battling injury. With Lemar Marshall and Dhani Jones being signed, I think they have five players worthy of starting for three linebacker spots, but I think the problem is that the only one of them close to being a star or playmaker is Ahmad Brooks. The way the defense is designed is for players to step up and make plays, and only a few of the starters can actually do that. Until Peko, Joseph, Hall, Williams, Geathers, and Brooks step up and make plays every week, I think the Bengals defense will have a lot of inconsistency this year.

BuckU
09-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Why didn't they just resign Hartwell?

camisadelgolf
09-20-2007, 12:55 PM
My guess is that it has something to do with special teams.

BuckWoody
09-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Maybe they should re-sign James Francis...he could certainly use the money.

GoReds33
09-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Same ol Bengals. Until they realize that they have ZERO pass rush they won't win in this league. Football is about as simple as it gets and yet Marvin continues to show he has no clue. PUT PRESSURE ON THE QB! It's that simple.That's what they have been trying to do. The reason the Bengals lost was that Bresnehan used the same blitzes against the Browns he did in week one. They need to mix it up. You can't keep calling the same plays.

Cedric
09-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Any team that pays that much for Justin Smith and Robert Geathers is just clueless. Neither is consistent enough to warrant the kind of cash they are getting. Justin Smith is just useless.

camisadelgolf
09-21-2007, 03:41 AM
Any team that pays that much for Justin Smith and Robert Geathers is just clueless. Neither is consistent enough to warrant the kind of cash they are getting. Justin Smith is just useless.

I think Justin Smith has been one of the most consistent defensive linemen in the NFL over the past several years, and Robert Geathers is getting paid fairly if you compare his salary to the other defensive linemen in the NFL. The defensive tackles and outside linebackers, on the other hand, are where I'd like to see some improvements. They may have some solid, average veterans, but what they need are play-makers.

Redhook
09-21-2007, 08:27 AM
I think Justin Smith has been one of the most consistent defensive linemen in the NFL over the past several years, and Robert Geathers is getting paid fairly if you compare his salary to the other defensive linemen in the NFL.

Justin is good, but he's not a difference maker. He isn't worth franchise-tag money. For a top 10 pick, he hasn't produced as well as he should have.

Geathers has potential to be pretty good. I like him.

The Bengals still need that one player that other teams fear. The Bengals haven't had that in years. Was the last guy David Fulcher?

acredsfan
09-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Justin is good, but he's not a difference maker. He isn't worth franchise-tag money. For a top 10 pick, he hasn't produced as well as he should have.

Geathers has potential to be pretty good. I like him.

The Bengals still need that one player that other teams fear. The Bengals haven't had that in years. Was the last guy David Fulcher?
I'd say the last one was T. Spikes... Too bad he might as well have been the only man out there on defense...

Cedric
09-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Justin Smith isn't a playmaker. Anyone hear his name called one time Sunday? You don't make 8 plus million and go whole games without making a single play.

camisadelgolf
09-22-2007, 04:26 AM
I agree that Justin Smith isn't exactly a play-maker, and although he's over-paid, I don't think the $1M-$2M or so he's being over-paid is costing the Bengals any games. My point is that he's consistent and helping the Bengals more than he's hurting them. I think the hope going into the season was that Justin Smith would be a rent-a-player while Frostee Rucker emerges as a starter. If Rucker can't rise to the occasion, then they'll sign Smith to an extension (or franchise tag him again) and look to the draft for more help.

WMR
09-22-2007, 04:45 AM
I keep hearing that the draft is going to be utilized to fix our d-line... Hmmmm...

Maybe after a few more running backs. :rolleyes: