PDA

View Full Version : Brad Salmon Rookie Card

StrikeIndicator
09-23-2007, 11:41 AM
My advise to serious Reds Fans (and who isn't on this board) and serious collectors is to rush right out and buy your signed Brad Salmon Reds Rookie Card as soon as Topps announces it

Then we (me and all of you who take this advice to heart) will have
1. Brad's rookie card
2. Brad's only Reds card, signed of course:beerme:

and in later years we can look at it and the cards of other pitchers/relivers who came up through the Reds farm system only to be traded away and rise to the top of the heap with another team.

If you don't believe that he will not be in a Reds uniform next year or after 2009 explain to me why he has not been used in Sept?
If the FO is high on him, they sure have a funny way of showing it.

There is mention on the ORG that addresses Waynes need to constantly bring in "talent" (castoffs and Rule 5 players) from other organiztions to evaluate for the bull pen while neglecting to elevate his internal talent. We saw this in spring training when Salmon and Livingston were sent down and outsiders brought in.

Yes, I know that a lot of you are going to say "that's baseball. They have options and should expect to be moved back and forth. Clubs can do that all they want".

My response is that your boss can treat you poorly and disrespect you too, because he is your boss. The difference is, at some point in time these pitchers can and will make the decision to become a free agent (or make the Reds pay dearly aka Todd Coffey) and eventually become employed elsewhere.

Name me 20 teams that "for free" would not like a have Brad and his 2.70 era at their Spring Training and their bull pen for the season opener?

Buy the cards at any price, they will be a one of a kind.

GoReds33
09-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Of all the minor leaguers that were at Spring training this year the only two that noticably didn't sign were Bailey, and Salmon.

jnwohio
09-23-2007, 01:03 PM
My advise to serious Reds Fans (and who isn't on this board) and serious collectors is to rush right out and buy your signed Brad Salmon Reds Rookie Card as soon as Topps announces it

....... There is mention on the ORG that addresses Waynes need to constantly bring in "talent" (castoffs and Rule 5 players) from other organiztions to evaluate for the bull pen while neglecting to elevate his internal talent. We saw this in spring training when Salmon and Livingston were sent down and outsiders brought in..........

I believe Livingston would fall also into the category of mining from other orgs' "castoffs". Unless my memory fails me he was a waiver claim from Seattle. They may have pulled him back and forced the Reds to do a (minor) deal to get him but it (at the least) started out as a waiver claim.

OK
I got off my virtual butt and did some leg work:
Here is the purtinent part of Livingston's transaction history:
2006-12-12 Acquired off waivers from Seattle Mariners to Cincinnati Reds
2006-12-12 Traded from Tampa Bay Devil Rays to Philadelphia Phillies; nullified by MLB 12/14
2006-12-12 Acquired off waivers from Seattle Mariners to Tampa Bay Devil Rays; nullified by MLB 12/14
2006-12-12 Traded from Tampa Bay Devil Rays to Philadelphia Phillies; nullified by MLB 12/14

It is a little convoluted because it was a strange situation. Here is some context for all of the above. The Mariners waived him; and he was originally awarded to the Devil Rays who turned around and immediately dealt him to the Philles. Then as I recall, the Reds said "Wait a minute friends, this is a collusion and and illegal circumvention of the waiver rules (since the Reds would have gotten dibs on him ahead of the Philles but after the Rays)". The Reds protest won the day. The Rays waiver claim and subsequent deal were set aside; and, Livingston was awarded to the Reds.