PDA

View Full Version : Future bright for Votto, Hamilton

Degenerate39
10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Future bright for Votto, Hamilton

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Sunday, September 30, 2007

CINCINNATI — There were major-league scouts who questioned whether Joey Votto would hit major-league pitching. They have straightened those question marks into exclamation points after watching Votto in September.

Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Mackanin is a believer.

"He has handled his call-up (Sept. 1) very well," said Mackanin. "As he said when he first got here, 'I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and ears open and play.' And that's exactly what he has done.

"He has done his work, he has been professional and has made an impression, at least on me," said Mackanin.

Votto, who hit .302 with 14 homers and 72 RBIs in 111 games for the 2004 Class A Dayton Dragons, has shown this month he is ready to become the regular first baseman in 2008, hitting .329 with three homers and 12 RBIs in 23 games.

"I think he has a big future," Mackanin added. "He is confident in his ability and it shows, and that is an important ingredient to succeed at this level. You have to believe you can succeed and feel you belong here, and he seems to believe he belongs."

Another Big Mac

As for Josh Hamilton, Mackanin made a startling comparison: Mark McGwire.

Well, at least to Mark McGwire's legendary batting practice sessions, when fans arrived early to watch and opposing players stopped whatever they were doing to gape.

"He's special," said Mackanin. "Watching him take batting practice reminds me of watching McGwire. At least two or three times a day, he puts balls up in the top of that boat in center field. And he goes upper deck to left field. He has a lot of untapped potential left.

"The key to him is staying healthy, and if we can keep him on the field, he is going to put up extremely good numbers," Mackanin added. "And he is a solid defender, he can run, he is a five-tool player."

Hamilton hit .292 with 19 homers, but batted only 298 times and appeared in only 90 games, residing on the disabled list twice early this season and missing most of September with a hamstring injury.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsnotes.html

CarolinaRedleg
10-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Glad to have these two in Red for the foreseeable future.

Now to find some quality pitching arms to complement them.....

ChatterRed
10-02-2007, 10:56 AM
We have some solid young talent on this team:

1B Votto
2B Phillips
3B Encarnacion
CF Hamilton
OF Bruce
RP Burton

Orenda
10-02-2007, 11:07 AM
We have some solid young talent on this team:

1B Votto
2B Phillips
3B Encarnacion
CF Hamilton
OF Bruce
RP Burton

We also have guys in "prime years" with Dunn and Harang. No Bailey or Cueto?

AmarilloRed
10-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Glad to have these two in Red for the foreseeable future.

Now to find some quality pitching arms to complement them.....

We have them as long as they are not traded for marginal pitching arms. I suppose I am just cynical, however.

BLEEDS
10-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Well, assuming we pick up Dunn's option, and at some point Jr gives way to Bruce, you have to think we have a SHOT at 2008, but 2009 should be even brighter.

We still have guys named STANTON, FREEL, and a bit of $$ tied up in two catchers - Ross will be here at his $2.25M and we BETTER pick up Valentin's option at $1.3M or we have NO back-up.

There is no SP worth going after in FA, so we'd better bide our time and hope we can (Again) out-bop the other guys.

I also say we should offer Guardado a minor-league deal with incentives should be make the starting roster. No way in the world can we pick up his option at $3.5M...

Hopefully Stanton can retire, we pick up $1.5M or so by declining Hatte's option and sticking with Votto, so we can keep the payroll the same and pay whatever Arbitration number gets jammed down our throats from BP.

I'd be all for signing BP and Dunn to LTC's this off-season. Keep our core young for the foreseeable future:
1B-Votto
2B-BP
3B-EE
CF-Hamilton
RF-Bruce
LF-Dunn

that leaves only SS and C as your "veterans" and Gonzo and Ross/Valentin play that role pretty well, for now.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

GoReds33
10-02-2007, 03:35 PM
We could save money by trading Gonzalez, and playing Keppinger. He more than proved he makes up for his lack of range with the bat. It's also been discussed of having him play second and Phillips at shortstop by some of the people on here.