PDA

View Full Version : 2007 playoff predictions

M2
10-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Might as well get this going and see if FCB can continue his October Kreskin routine.

Wild card playoff - Padres over the Rockies

Jake Peavy vs. Josh Fogg? This is a mismatch for the ages. Suddenly Al Leiter vs. Steve Parris doesn't look so bad.

NLDS - Phillies over Padres, 3-2

Jake Peavy going today is a double-edged sword. It means he can only make one start in the division series. That and 2/3 of the starting OF on the shelf should be enough to do the Padres in.

NLDS - Diamondbacks over Cubs, 3-2

The D-Backs shouldn't be in the postseason. They're as big a fluke as has made October in a long time. Yet the Cubs stand zero chance of beating Brandon Webb. They can't do it and they won't. The Arizona bullpen will be able to salt away at least one other win.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels, 3-0

The Red Sox do their homework. Expect the swing-happy Angels to get exposed.

ALDS - Yankees over Indians 3-1

I'm hoping it goes the other way, but the Yankees strike me as a team primed to make a postseason run.

NLCS - Phillies over Diamondbacks 4-1

Philly can hit Arizona's pitching and, barring a bullpen meltdown (which certainly could happen) I expect the fighting Phils to be the superior team.

ALCS - Yankees over Red Sox 4-3

People will claim they're "tired" of New York vs. Boston, but everyone will watch and it will be exciting baseball.

World Series - Yankees over Phillies 4-1

An anti-climactic finish to the season. The Bombers remind everyone why they're the most storied franchise in sports history. Bob Abreu win Series MVP.

Chip R
10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
World Series - Yankees over Phillies 4-1
Bob Abreu win Series MVP.

Oh, now that would just be cruel.

CaiGuy
10-01-2007, 12:37 PM

If Francis were pitching, things would be different.

NLDS - Padres over Phillies, 3-2

pitching pitching pitching

NLDS - Diamondbacks over Cubs, 3-1

Arizonia has Brandon Webb and a killer bullpen. The Cubs are...well...the Cubs. The Dbacks may go against all conventional odds, but they managed to put up the best record in the NL.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels, 3-0

The Red Sox are simply a better team.

ALDS - Yankees over Indians 3-2

This will be close (and I will be rooting for the Tribe) but the Yanks have the offense and a pretty deep rotation. They will get it done.

NLCS - Diamondbacks over Padres 4-3

honestly don't know why, but I like Arizona. It could go either way though.

ALCS - Red Sox over Yankees 4-3

fun times

World Series - Red Sox over Diamondbacks 4-1

Red Sox>Diamondbacks

If it is my choice, though, it would be a Colorado-Cleveland World Series.

Joseph
10-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Wild card playoff - Rockies over the Padres

The Rocks have karma, luck, and momentum on their side. The Padres can't score.

NLDS - Phillies over Rockies, 3-1

It can't last forever.

NLDS - Diamondbacks over Cubs, 3-1

I hate the Cubs.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels, 3-1

The Red Sox are the Red Sox.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3-2

Indians have the pitching and the hitting.

NLCS - Phillies over Diamondbacks 4-1

Phillies may have destiny on their side.

ALCS - Indians over Red Sox 4-3

It'll be a struggle, but the Tribe will get it done.

World Series - Phillies over Indians 4-2

Two series that go the distance will wear on the Tribe. Jimmy Rollins MVP.

RedsManRick
10-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Wild card playoff - Rockies over Padres
Jake Peavy has one achilles heel; he doesn't go deep in to games. Fogg doesn't either, but I'll take the Rockies in a late innings slugfest.

NLDS - Phillies over Rockies, 3-1
The Phillies offense just bludgeons the Rockies despite getting very mediocre performances from pitchers not-named Cole Hamels.

NLDS - Cubs over Diamondbacks
The Cubs offense is the most underrated and they easily have the deepest team. If Big Z is on, he can outdual Webb, and even if he's not, I'll take Lilly and Hill over the unreliable Davis and Hernanez.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels, 3-1
"The Red Sox do their homework. Expect the swing-happy Angels to get exposed." Yup.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3-2
Torre leaves his young guys out of critical situations and it bites him in the butt. The Indians starters have the best control of anybody in the playoffs, which will help offset one of the Yankees primary strengths.

NLCS - Cubs over Phillies 4-2
The Phillies will rue their decision to put Brett Myers in the bullpen. After Hamels, it gets ugly. The Cubs will lean on Carlos Marmol to get them out of jams, and he'll have a Frankie Rodriguez like coming out party. I imagine the Phillies will win a few blowouts, but the Cubs will win the close ones and win a blowout or two of their own.

ALCS - Red Sox over Indians 4-3
The de facto World Series, the Red Sox will reap the benefits of being careful with pitcher workloads. The bullpen will bounce back and the Sox have the advantage in the middle of the starting rotation. It will be a very back and forth series, but the Sox offensive depth provides a much greater buffer against an untimely slump.

World Series - Cubs over Red Sox 4-3
I have absolutely no reason to make this prediction. However, I live and Chicago and am so tired of hearing about the poor Cubbies. They will win and it will, oddly enough, be on the strength of guys who they didn't spend millions for -- Ryan Theriot, Rich Hill, Matt Murton, Geovanny Soto, and Carlos Marmol.

cumberlandreds
10-01-2007, 01:17 PM
I completely agree with M2's predictions. I think the Yankees and Phillies will eventually play each other in the World Series with the Yankees winning in six games. I have a feeling that this is the Yankee's season with all the turmoil that surrounded them early just made them tougher for a playoff run. ARod will finally vindicate himself in the post season and I think Torre will use this championship as his swan song and retire.

For tonights game, Paevy and the Padres will win but it will hurt the Padres in the next series because he won't be available to at least game three.

Falls City Beer
10-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Rox over Pads: I despise the Padres' offense.

Rox over Phils: better pen in Denver.

D-Backs over Cubs: exuberance beats one of the more overrated big-time arms in Zambrano.

D-Backs over Rox in NLCS (4-3)--should be a very fine matchup between equally matched opponents.

I don't care how it happens, but Cleveland will win the AL.

D-Backs over Cleveland in 6 for their second ring this decade. Brandon Webb wins MVP.

Reds Fanatic
10-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Wild card playoff - Padres over Rockies. Though Fogg has a pretty good record against other teams aces I have to go with Peavy in this matchup.

NLDS - Phillies over Padres 3 games to 1. Phillies offense should have no problem with anyone other than Peavy

NLDS - Dbacks over Cubs 3 games to 1. Webb will dominate the Cubs lineup.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels 3 games to 1 Red Sox just a better team like others have said.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3 games to 2 Toughest series to call for me but I think the Indians pull this out in 5.

NLCS - Phillies over Dbacks 4 games to 1. I think Phillies offense will have no problem with any Dback pitcher except Webb.

ALCS - Red Sox over Indians 4 games to 2 I just think the Red Sox have a better team than the Indians

WS - Red Sox over Phillies 4 games to 3 A real high scoring world series between these teams but I like the Red Sox to win it all.

KronoRed
10-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Wild card playoff - Rockies over Padres San Diego seems to be tanking like the mets

NLDS - Phillies over Rockies 3 games to 1. The Rox are still the Rox

NLDS - Dbacks over Cubs 3 games to 0. Break out the goats cub fans.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels 3 games to 2 The Angels will blow a 2-0 series lead.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3 games to 1 The Indians are just a better team.

NLCS - Phillies over Dbacks 4 games to 0. I see the Dbacks running out of gas suddenly

ALCS - Indians over Red Sox 4 games to 3 Close series.

WS - Indians over Phillies 4 games to 1 The AL is sadly just better.

15fan
10-01-2007, 02:33 PM
I'd love to see the Yankees pound the Cubs in the Series. More for the symbolism than anything else.

Part of me would also like to see a Colorado-Cleveland series.

Mainly because TV and ad execs would be jumping in bunches from tall buildings.

bucksfan2
10-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Wild card playoff - Rockies over Padres - Pitching, pitching, pitching as someone says above. Well maybe but not in colorado. Padres are so bad offensively that the Rockies win.

NLDS - Phillies over Rockies 3 games to 2. This series would be a slug fest.

NLDS - Dbacks over Cubs 3 games to 1. Brandon Webb.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels Sweep. I really like the red sox and the way their team is built. Give me a series with Beckett, Schilling, and DiceK and I take the Sox. The Angles may frustrate the Sox but Boston is just too talented.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3 games to 1 CC and Carmona are a 1-2 punch that will scare anyone. Don't think the Yankees have enough in the tank to beat the indians.

NLCS - DBacks over Phills 4-2. Did I mention a guy by the name Brandon Webb. 2 starts in a 7 games series spell doom for the Phills.

ALCS Red Sox over Indians 4-1. I like the Indians but the Sox are just a better team.

WS - Red Sox over DBacks 4-3. Red Sox IMO are the best team in baseball. Sure they had a bump in the road but taking the division over the Yankees will give them a boost through out the entire playoffs.

I am a little biased. I was at Fenway last friday and it was an amazing experience. As much as I hate north eastern fans and their belief that sports only exist in the north east, they are passionate baseball fans.

M2
10-01-2007, 02:52 PM
I was at Fenway last friday and it was an amazing experience. As much as I hate north eastern fans and their belief that sports only exist in the north east, they are passionate baseball fans.

I'm sure they'd hate you too if they recognized your existence.

guttle11
10-01-2007, 02:55 PM
So next year will go just like this year did, huh...;)

Cedric
10-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I was a bit confused also. But thought maybe I missed a joke somewhere :)

And I'm not surprised the Angels are getting no love on this site. Some people just hate that they are such a damn good franchise with their style.

M2
10-01-2007, 03:00 PM
So next year will go just like this year did, huh...;)

Doh! Been doing a lot of 2008 budget planning. If a mod wants to fix that, that would be cool.

lollipopcurve
10-01-2007, 03:01 PM

I'll take the upset. Rocks 5-3

NLDS - Rocks over Phils, 3-1

the hotter of two hot clubs -- some high-scoring games here

NLDS - Cubs over Dbacks, 3-1

Cubs bullpen also tough (I doubt Dempster closes in the postseason). Dbacks aren't ready yet.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels, 3-2

Vlad isn't healthy, but Angels put a scare into the Sox anyway.

ALDS - Indians over Yanks, 3-2

CC and Carmona and some nice middle relief put the heat on Joba and Rivera, and they crack.

NLCS - Rockies over Cubs, 4-3

So all my NL picks are based on Fogg over Peavy... so?

ALCS - Red Sox over Indians 4-2

depth in the rotation puts Sox over the top

World Series - Red Sox over Rockies 4-1

Yankees -- errr, Red Sox -- expand their empire.

Cedric
10-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I'll take the Angels over the Phillies in 6.

RedLegSuperStar
10-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Wild card playoff - Rockies over Padres

Rockies have the game at home and I see them as a more offensive team then the Pads.

NLDS - Rockies over Phillies 3-2

This series will be close. I see Colorado coming back from a 2-1 series to take them to the NLCS.

NLDS - Cubs over D-Backs 3-1

Cubs have a line-up that will put up more runs then Arizona point blank. Arizona wins with Brandon Webb and suffers at the hands of lack of runs.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels 3-1

Beckett, Matsuzaka, and Schilling.. Manny's back and Papi is clutch.

ALDS - Indians over Yankees 3-0

Indians shock beantown with a sweep and end the managerial job for Yankee skipper Joe Torre.

NLCS - Rockies Over Cubs 4-2

Timely hitting and defense will seal the deal for the Rockies and have them advance to the World Series. They're hot September will stay hot in October.

ALCS - Red Sox over Indians 4-3

Red Sox will again rely on starting pitching in this series. I got to believe Bostons bullpen blows a game or two and against a team like Cleveland.. they will capitalize.

World Series - Red Sox over Rockies 4-1

The Rockies will be over matched in this series and manage only one win. Red Sox ride Big Papi and Papelbon to their 2nd World Series Championship in 3 years. Co-MVP's David Ortiz and Jonathan Pablebon.

CaiGuy
10-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm not surprised the Angels are getting no love on this site. Some people just hate that they are such a damn good franchise with their style.

I like the Angels and think they have a great team (better than any of the NL teams probably), but the other AL teams are just better.

Falls City Beer
10-01-2007, 03:11 PM

And I'm not surprised the Angels are getting no love on this site. Some people just hate that they are such a damn good franchise with their style.

I can pretty easily see the Angels beating Boston. Just not Cleveland; the Indians have too many weapons and know how to use each of them.

Cedric
10-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I can pretty easily see the Angels beating Boston. Just not Cleveland; the Indians have too many weapons and know how to use each of them.

Bullpen wins it for Angels in my opinion. And their top 3 is just as good as anyone in the playoffs, IMO.

Lackey/Escobar/Weaver and that bullpen is how you win in the postseason.

Falls City Beer
10-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Bullpen wins it for Angels in my opinion. And their top 3 is just as good as anyone in the playoffs, IMO.

Lackey/Escobar/Weaver and that bullpen is how you win in the postseason.

I agree with your winning formula. I just happen to like Cleveland's offense in a tiebreaker. But I could see the Angels tripping up Cleveland--I just don't think it's likely. Should make for a good ALCS.

Cedric
10-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I agree with your winning formula. I just happen to like Cleveland's offense in a tiebreaker. But I could see the Angels tripping up Cleveland--I just don't think it's likely. Should make for a good ALCS.

I agree. Should be a great ALCS. I just think ESPN and the national media will be crying early just like last year.

bucksfan2
10-01-2007, 03:35 PM

I like the Angels and respect the type of baseball they play. Unfortunatly I think they come up against the best team in baseball. I wouldn't be suprised if they won the world series. They play a very fundamental type of baseball and just won't make mistakes while maximizing their run production.

OnBaseMachine
10-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Rockies over Padres

Rockies over Phillies
Cubs over Diamondbacks

Rockies over Cubs

Red Sox over Angels
Indians over Yankees

Indians over Red Sox

World Sereies - Indians over Rockies

Cyclone792
10-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Padres over Rockies

Phillies over Padres
Cubs over Diamondbacks

Cubs over Phillies

Red Sox over Angels
Yankees over Indians

Yankees over Red Sox

World Series: Yankees over Cubs

I know I just predicted the Cubs to go to the World Series - and trust me, I'm just as ill about that feeling as everyone reading this is - but I've got a strange feeling that I can't explain that the Cubs will be tough to beat in the NL.

Let me add that the baseball history portion of me wouldn't be too upset if the Cubs made the World Series and were up against the Indians. Then it'd be a World Series of the two teams [of the original 16] who have the longest running dry spells since their last World Series title (Cubs in 1908 and Indians in 1948, though of course there's several teams outside the original 16 who've yet to win even one World Series).

Of course, if that would happen, the Cubs still better lose and keep 1908 alive.

Danny Serafini
10-01-2007, 07:00 PM
SD over COL

SD over PHI in 5
ARI over CHI in 4

BOS over ANA in 4
CLE over NY in 5

SD over ARI in 6
BOS over CLE in 5

SD over BOS in 6

Yeah, that looks silly, but 3 months ago I was telling my friends the Padres would win the World Series, so I'll stick with it.

RFS62
10-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Padres flog Rockies

Phillies excommunicate Padres

Diamondbacks bite the Cubs

Phillies skin Diamondbacks

Red Sox de-halo Angels

Yankees scalp Indians

Red Sox decapitate and humiliate Yankees, as God himself intended it to be.

World Series - Red Sox euthanize Phillies

KronoRed
10-01-2007, 07:27 PM
That was pretty good RFS :lol:

RedLegSuperStar
10-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Pat yourself on the back if you predicted the Rockies to win the wild card playoff.

MWM
10-02-2007, 12:47 AM
NLDS - Rockies over Phillies, 3-1

No reason. Just call it a hunch. The Phillies starting pitching is suspect. The Rockies can put runs on the board.

NLDS - Diamondbacks over Cubs, 3-2

As M2 mentioned, Brandon Webb will be the difference.

ALDS - Red Sox over Angels, 3-2

Because I need the Sox to win this series. But it will be close. Vlad will win one game all by himself.

ALDS - Yankees over Indians 3-0

The Yankees offense will be too much for a non-playoff tested staff.

NLCS - Rockies over Diamondbacks 4-3

This will be an exciting series, but it will be sloppy as this will be the weakest mathup in Championship Series history. They should just extend the AL playoffs to 8 teams and forget about the NL. I don't think any of the NL playoff teams could beat the 5 or 6 team in the AL.

ALCS - Yankees over Red Sox 4-3

Revenge for 2004. The Sox will take a 3-0 lead only to have the Yankees come back nd win 4 straight.

World Series - Yankees over Rockies 4-0

Another dull World Series as this will be a complete mismatch. Game 1 will be close. The rest will be blowouts. MVP - A-Rod in his last game as a Yankee before he signs another $200MM contract with the Cubs.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Rockies over Phillies 3-2

Cubs over D'backs 3-1

Rockies over Cubs 4-3

Red Sox over Angels 3-1

Yankees over Indians 3-0

Yankees over Red Sox 4-2

Rockies over Yankees 4-3

Jpup
10-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Phillies
Dbacks Phillies

Angels
Yankees Yankees

Yankees over Phillies in the World Series.