PDA

View Full Version : Jocketty out in St. Louis...

mroby85
10-03-2007, 04:12 PM
accoring to Lance on 1530.

Screwball
10-03-2007, 04:19 PM
accoring to Lance on 1530.

To be expected. The MLB team has been getting progressively worse, and the farm system is in shambles. Even only bein 1 year removed from a fluke WS title isn't enough to cover up those facts.

CarolinaRedleg
10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Makes you wonder if Krivs' seat just got a few degrees warmer

mroby85
10-03-2007, 04:22 PM
better than krivsky

Screwball
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
better than krivsky

Eh, Jocketty had a pretty good run, but you give Krivsky one of the highest payrolls in the NL, and 7 years to build up the farm system and I think we'll be pleased with the product as well. We're already shaping up to have one of the better teams come '09 and 2010.

mroby85
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
i hope so, i can't wait.

ChatterRed
10-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Krivsky's had two seasons and people want to fire him? Hilarioius.

He has yet to trade any major league players or minor league prospects away that have gone on to make him look stupid. Kearns and Lopez? Pa-lease.

Under his regime, Bruce, Bailey, Votto and Cueto have managed to not be "traded" or "rushed". All 4 appear to be major league ready either next season or the season after. When was the last time our minor leagues actually developed that many quality contributing players?

He has acquired Arroyo, Phillips, Hamilton, Burton, Bray, Guardado (when healthy he was good), Keppinger, Gonzalez, Ross and others. He has managed to not trade away Edwin Encarnacion.

Between developing, acquiring, and trading away, I think Krivsky's decisions have been pretty darn good. The fact is, this team was so far in the dumpster that it takes time. Other than EE, our entire infield including catcher has been revamped. If Griffey were to be traded, 2/3's of our outfield would be revamped with Hamilton and Bruce.

What do you people want?

And pitching is the most sought after and hardest thing to acquire in baseball.

mroby85
10-03-2007, 04:56 PM
my interest in jocketty is more for the reason that LaRussa will be more interested if that happens.

GoReds33
10-03-2007, 05:25 PM
my interest in jocketty is more for the reason that LaRussa will be more interested if that happens.My thought exactly. I do think he will have intrest if we don't get him though. I don't think the Yankees will fire Torre, the Mets already said they won't fire Randolph. I don't think there will be too many big coaching vacancies.:)

redsfanmia
10-03-2007, 06:31 PM
BCast will not open up his wallet for these two. I must say I dont want LaRussa to manage the team but I would like it just to irratate Franchester.

redsfan1966
10-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Krivsky will not and should not be fired---two years in he doesnt deserve to get run---the LaRussa angle intrigues me as well...how tight were he and Walt; will he walk/or get axed in the wake of Jocketty's release?? On a related note--I thought it was one of the "unwritten rules" that things like GMs getting canned was supposed to wait until after the World Series...

steig
10-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Krivsky doesn't deserve to get fired. Although, if the opportunity is there to hire a better GM who has a track record of winning, then you go for it. This is a business and winning brings in money. All I want is to see the Reds win. I don't care if my favorite player is on the team or if the GM i prefer makes the moves. I'm a Reds fan and whoever give them a better chance of winning is who should get the job(s).

GoReds33
10-03-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't think Krivsky should be fired. I just think that if we are going to get LaRussa we may need to get Jockety. I wouldn't make that move though. I would defenitly take just LaRussa though. Expecially if he brings Dave Duncan with him.

Oxblood
10-03-2007, 08:14 PM
If it's a package deal with La Russa and Jockety, I say bring 'em in. Say thanks to Kriv for bringing in some talent and wish him luck elsewhere.

jnwohio
10-03-2007, 08:29 PM
I think the most likely fall out from Jockerty leaving the Cards is that it probably seals the deal that LaRussa won't go back there.

I don't think it is a given that either or both will be interested in coming to Cincy immediately. Even if they express interest, Castellini has to be very carefull and certain that he is not bringing in a couple of guys who are past the productive point of their career curves and/ or too burnt out to get the job done.

This may be an oppurtunity for the Reds but it could also be a mine field. Caution is advised.

Screwball
10-03-2007, 09:57 PM
BCast will not open up his wallet for these two.

You don't know that.

As Fay (http://http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2007/07/from-press-conference.asp) wrote,

Krivsky sort of said money will not be an object in the hiring the permanent replacement: "I don't think so. That's Bob (Castellini's) call. My take is to get the best possible candidate."

If Bob Castellini thinks LaRussa is the one to steer this team to the postseason, it's pretty widely reported that he won't hesitate to spend the big bucks to bring him in. In fact, from what I gather from reading the beat writers' blogs, money won't be an issue when it comes to hiring a manager, and to say "BCast will not open up his wallet for these two" is pure conjecture, and IMO, flat out wrong.

stevekun
10-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Am I the only one on this board that doesn't want LaRusa? I would love Jockety though

10-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I have a feeling that Walt will be coming to the Reds as a "Presisdent" of the team, or some higher title than GM. Wayne stays as GM, but Walt will be his boss.
Wayne does more of the grunt work, which he seems to excell at, while Walt deals with the overall direction and philosophy of the team.
I think Walt might like to be in a less high pressure situation than GM for a bit, especially after this last year in St.Louis.
If this happens, I see LaRussa coming to the Reds with his coaching staff.
Just a feeling,but I'm usually wrong.

Marge'sMullet
10-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I have a feeling that Walt will be coming to the Reds as a "Presisdent" of the team, or some higher title than GM. Wayne stays as GM, but Walt will be his boss.
Wayne does more of the grunt work, which he seems to excell at, while Walt deals with the overall direction and philosophy of the team.
I think Walt might like to be in a less high pressure situation than GM for a bit, especially after this last year in St.Louis.
If this happens, I see LaRussa coming to the Reds with his coaching staff.
Just a feeling,but I'm usually wrong.

So John Allen's position? I hope so. Reguardless I think Allen is on the way out.

I would like to have Larussa if Duncan becomes our pitching coach.

foxfire123
10-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Am I the only one on this board that doesn't want LaRusa? I would love Jockety though

No, you're not. I wouldn't mind Jocketty, but I really, really don't want LaRussa in Cinci.

AmarilloRed
10-04-2007, 01:05 AM
La Russa and Jocketty were pretty close. We might see La Russa also leave St.Louis, but that is not a guarantee he will come to Cincinnati.

ChatterRed
10-04-2007, 06:55 AM
I think the most likely fall out from Jockerty leaving the Cards is that it probably seals the deal that LaRussa won't go back there.

I don't think it is a given that either or both will be interested in coming to Cincy immediately. Even if they express interest, Castellini has to be very carefull and certain that he is not bringing in a couple of guys who are past the productive point of their career curves and/ or too burnt out to get the job done.

This may be an oppurtunity for the Reds but it could also be a mine field. Caution is advised.

Good post. :thumbup:

Prf15
10-04-2007, 07:25 AM
No, you're not. I wouldn't mind Jocketty, but I really, really don't want LaRussa in Cinci.

I don't want Jocketty anywhere near our prospects. All he will do is trade them for a hurt Mark Mulder.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Tony may take off one year, as Lou did. That would allow him to catch a breather and have a better job selection.

podgejeff_
10-04-2007, 09:22 AM
I don't want either. I have faith in Krivsky to get it done with a little more time (this offseason will be very telling).

We need to let our recently acquired young players some time to grow before we start canning people for a rebuilding season.

redsfanmia
10-05-2007, 03:19 PM
You don't know that.

As Fay (http://http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2007/07/from-press-conference.asp) wrote,

If Bob Castellini thinks LaRussa is the one to steer this team to the postseason, it's pretty widely reported that he won't hesitate to spend the big bucks to bring him in. In fact, from what I gather from reading the beat writers' blogs, money won't be an issue when it comes to hiring a manager, and to say "BCast will not open up his wallet for these two" is pure conjecture, and IMO, flat out wrong.
BCast has opened up his wallet for nothing so far except for getting Marty's son and the Cowboy and IMO that was money poorly spent. I will believe that BCast will open his wallet when I see it until then I will be cynical.

Screwball
10-06-2007, 05:56 PM
BCast has opened up his wallet for nothing so far except for getting Marty's son and the Cowboy and IMO that was money poorly spent. I will believe that BCast will open his wallet when I see it until then I will be cynical.

How about the fact he raised this year's payroll by about 13% (~$61 M to ~69 M)?