PDA

View Full Version : Positives from Dusty Baker's press conference

hippie07
10-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Now I know that more than a few of us are upset about the Dusty Baker hiring, but I thought it would be refreshing to discuss some of the potential good things it might represent. Most importantly to me is that I feel it's indicative of an ownership interest in throwing money at the problem. Granted, no one wants to "mortgage our future" or any of the other negatives that's implied in spending alot of money... but I feel that the powers-that-be could have been a little more loose w/ the purse strings over the past few years. And recent comments make me feel a little more optimistic about the possibility of the Reds making a splash this off season.

Maybe I'm just wearing rose-colored glasses after my rush onto the field following the Kentucky v. LSU game, but I'm brimming with excitement to discuss what possible improvements await the Reds this winter. Which leads me to the following topics:

1. What would you do w/ the freed up Eric Milton money AND whatever extra money BCast throws the team's way? (let's talk new players here and not focus too much on arbitration increases, etc - because that's just not as much fun)

2. What players do you think may have contacted Dusty about playing for the reds? Anyone we need or would want?

ChatterRed
10-15-2007, 05:20 PM
1. I'd use the money on a solid closer.

2. I have no idea.

GoReds33
10-15-2007, 05:39 PM
1. I'd use the money on a solid closer.

2. I have no idea.2. Pitching, pitching, pitching, and more pitching.:)

mroby85
10-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Mariano Rivera

and the only player i could really think of that played under dusty that is a big name free agent this offseason is barry bonds, but i doubt that would be something they'd go after considering the money that he will command, and the needs that they have in their bullpen.

Vada Pinson Fan
10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Maybe I'm just wearing rose-colored glasses after my rush onto the field following the Kentucky v. LSU game, but I'm brimming with excitement to discuss what possible improvements await the Reds this winter. Which leads me to the following topics:

1. What would you do w/ the freed up Eric Milton money AND whatever extra money BCast throws the team's way? (let's talk new players here and not focus too much on arbitration increases, etc - because that's just not as much fun)

2. What players do you think may have contacted Dusty about playing for the reds? Anyone we need or would want?

I'd like to address your 2nd topic hippie07. I start with those players that have had the opportunity to play for Dusty. First guy that comes to mind is Rich Aurillia. While Rich did a very fine job for the Reds, I think his age and desire to leave Cincinnati doesn't bode well for his return. Aurillia would not start here unless EE was injured. One player that jumps out is Joe Nathan. Nathan played for Baker in 'Frisco from 1999-2002 season. If and when Nathan becomes available, he would be a very nice addition to the bullpen. Joe Nathan has 8 years in the Majors and a career 3.00 ERA. For the Cubs- RP Ryan Dempster -Cubs, might want to come back to Cincinnati to play for Dusty when Dempster becomes a free agent after the 2008 season. Other than these last two players I've named, I really don't know how would fit with the Reds and whom the Reds could acquire.

It will be fun to watch this off-season as to the type of
player(s) Dusty will attract to the Reds. This division is so winnable that I believe Castellini realizes it is the prime time to strike (with savvy trades and a bigger and hopefully better payroll).

hippie07
10-15-2007, 06:32 PM
1. My wish list would be Mariano Rivera & either Carlos Silva or Curt Schilling

2. What about Kerry Wood (as a reliever)? He's a free agent this year I believe.

... A girl can dream, right? :D

GoReds33
10-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I'd like to address your 2nd topic hippie07. I start with those players that have had the opportunity to play for Dusty. First guy that comes to mind is Rich Aurillia. While Rich did a very fine job for the Reds, I think his age and desire to leave Cincinnati doesn't bode well for his return. Aurillia would not start here unless EE was injured. One player that jumps out is Joe Nathan. Nathan played for Baker in 'Frisco from 1999-2002 season. If and when Nathan becomes available, he would be a very nice addition to the bullpen. Joe Nathan has 8 years in the Majors and a career 3.00 ERA. For the Cubs- RP Ryan Dempster -Cubs, might want to come back to Cincinnati to play for Dusty when Dempster becomes a free agent after the 2008 season. Other than these last two players I've named, I really don't know how would fit with the Reds and whom the Reds could acquire.

It will be fun to watch this off-season as to the type of
player(s) Dusty will attract to the Reds. This division is so winnable that I believe Castellini realizes it is the prime time to strike (with savvy trades and a bigger and hopefully better payroll).As long as it isn't Bonds I'm okay. I would love to have Nathan. He also has ties to Krivsky, so he would be a natural fit. I would be fine with Dempster, as another solid veteran arm in the pen, and probably as the closer. I am not too high on Aurillia. As you pointed out he was trying to get out of here as fast as he could. That's not an example I would like to set by bringing him back.:)

mroby85
10-15-2007, 07:24 PM
is nathan a free agent? that would be pretty sweet.

also curt schilling would be a quality pick up.

I really don't want carlos silva though, we just got out of milton's contract, i don't want another one like it.

SidneySlicker
10-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Yes Nathan is a free agent. Would be great to have him as a closer and Burton/Weathers as set up men.

ChatterRed
10-15-2007, 08:36 PM
That settles it. Rivera and Nathan will be Reds. ;)

GoReds33
10-15-2007, 08:44 PM
That settles it. Rivera and Nathan will be Reds. ;)I wish. If Castillini wants to make a statement though he will get Nathan and Carlos Silva from the Twins. That would really improve this team's pitching. It may cost around ten million per player though. By the way, Nathan is not a free agent, he has a six million dollar team option for next year. Let's hope they send him packing.:)

mroby85
10-15-2007, 09:17 PM
i for one go on the record right now to say i DO NOT want silva.

AmarilloRed
10-15-2007, 11:08 PM
I have heard the Milton money is set to go into increases in salary for existing players, so that money may already be spent. We can only guess who has contacted Dusty.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-16-2007, 08:03 AM
here is an interesting perspective....

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariottiweb/603136,mariotti101407.article

DannyB
10-16-2007, 08:19 AM

Wait... lets sign some great pitchers,get close to the pennant,then not let them pitch.:rolleyes:

hippie07
10-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Barry Bonds
Sammy Sosa
Livan Hernandez
Matt Clement
Kerry Wood
Russ Ortiz
Greg Maddux
Moises Alou
Ramon Martinez
Julian Tavarez
Joe Borowoski
LaTroy Hawkins
Michael Barrett
Yorvit Torrealba
Pedro Feliz
Reggie Sanders
Kenny Lofton
Cesar Izturis
Antonio Alfonseca
Scott Linebrink
Corey Patterson

I got this list of current free agents that had previously played under Dusty from another poster in the other forum which I can't post in - Props Tom Servo!

We haven't really talked about Greg Maddux - doesn't he have a history w/ Dick Pole? Could he be a contender?

ThirdBaseCoach
10-16-2007, 09:53 AM
I got this list of current free agents that had previously played under Dusty from another poster in the other forum which I can't post in - Props Tom Servo!

We haven't really talked about Greg Maddux - doesn't he have a history w/ Dick Pole? Could he be a contender?

I hope you cited this list as has-beens who should never been in consideration as FAs.

bounty37h
10-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Any one of htose players gets signed by the Reds, and I will be one p'ed off Reds fan. I may have been happy with some of them 5-10 years ago. They sign Bonds, I will be back when his contracts up.

NorrisHopper30
10-16-2007, 01:33 PM

What a terrible article.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-16-2007, 01:51 PM
What a terrible article.

how so?

SeeinRed
10-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I like what this guy has to say. I think that he has a lot of good points. The most logical article about Dusty from the Cubs side that I have seen. Might be posted already, if so, I'm sorry. Here (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=57873)

Jr's Boy
10-16-2007, 04:06 PM
It's sick to think of all the home run's Bonds would hit in the launching pad that is GABP.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I like what this guy has to say. I think that he has a lot of good points. The most logical article about Dusty from the Cubs side that I have seen. Might be posted already, if so, I'm sorry. Here (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=57873)

interesting, but pretty generic, dude.

SeeinRed
10-17-2007, 09:40 PM
interesting, but pretty generic, dude.

Not as generic as the criticisms. IMO, this shows how overblown his time in Chicago has become.

tripleaaaron
10-19-2007, 01:29 AM
how so?

he calls Harang decent and thinks that the cubs are really a tier up, ha as if the central really had tiers. It is wide open, just because the cubs spent 200 mil doesnt mean that they are really all that good.

TeamSelig
10-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I would sign Drew Gooden to a 3 year deal and make him our closer.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/48412/20071007/drew_gooden_plans_on_mlb_career_after_nba/

GoReds33
10-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I would sign Drew Gooden to a 3 year deal and make him our closer.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/48412/20071007/drew_gooden_plans_on_mlb_career_after_nba/Hopefully he does better than Jordan did at baseball.:)

AmarilloRed
10-20-2007, 05:42 PM
This might not be related, but I was watching Dusty last night on Baseball Tonight. They were talking about Jorge Posada coming back with the Yankees, and Dusty seemed really high on him. I would not be surprised if Posada becomes a free agent, that Dusty might try and bring him to Cincinnati.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-21-2007, 08:34 AM
........I would not be surprised if Posada becomes a free agent, that Dusty might try and bring him to Cincinnati.

everyone has to remember that this team has a GM and an owner who run things. The manager does not make deals, period.

Furthermore, DB would never go out on a limb and say he wanted this player or that. ..."might try and bring him to Cincinnati..." come on. He has to have a built-in excuse for failure when it occurs. Do you really think any manager makes deals, or says what players he wants?
Doesn't happen, bro.

WMR
10-21-2007, 08:42 AM
This might not be related, but I was watching Dusty last night on Baseball Tonight. They were talking about Jorge Posada coming back with the Yankees, and Dusty seemed really high on him. I would not be surprised if Posada becomes a free agent, that Dusty might try and bring him to Cincinnati.

Scuttlebutt around Yankee-land is that the Bronx Bombers are going to make such outlandishly high offers to Rivera and Posada that they'll HAVE to re-sign with the Yanks.

I definitely believe it. Next season is NOT the year you want to try and have to replace two such important cogs of your 25 man roster with all of the upheaval that has already taken place.

AmarilloRed
10-21-2007, 02:30 PM
everyone has to remember that this team has a GM and an owner who run things. The manager does not make deals, period.

Furthermore, DB would never go out on a limb and say he wanted this player or that. ..."might try and bring him to Cincinnati..." come on. He has to have a built-in excuse for failure when it occurs. Do you really think any manager makes deals, or says what players he wants?
Doesn't happen, bro.

It is not Dusty's decision, but I am sure he will talk to the GM about players he might think would improve the team. The final decision is Krivsky's, but I am sure he will listen to what Dusty has to say.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-21-2007, 07:30 PM
It is not Dusty's decision, but I am sure he will talk to the GM about players he might think would improve the team. The final decision is Krivsky's, but I am sure he will listen to what Dusty has to say.

how can you be sure? do you have inside knowledge of personnel moves?

DB does not even know who is on the team yet. any opinions of the team will wait until ST 08.

just want you to be realistic, bro.

nyjwagner
10-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Couple of quick thoughts: Dusty has input, as in he sees a hole, be it OBP or glove or speed at a certain position and he can make suggestions to players and types. Just because either he or Wayne wants the guy doesn't mean they get him.... but Dusty knows how he works with a team, and unlike some managers with less experience he can voice those needs... that is Dusty's upside.

Second, the Posada's and the Schillings of the world aren't coming to Cincy. Top tier Free Agents either have to be overpaid to leave a big market or the team has to already have shown a committment to winning. The Cubs and the Cards have both done that by spending money and reaching the playoffs. Until the Reds play meaningful games in September, not in the spoiler role, they have to be creative.... I'm not saying they are far away from playing those games, and Dusty sends a better signal to those types then any of the past 5 managers has, but we got to compete first.

Oh and Aurilia wanted out of town becaue his wife has a career in California, and she couldn't live here and do her thing. He wanted to be with her.

BurgervilleBuck
10-23-2007, 02:47 PM
how can you be sure? do you have inside knowledge of personnel moves?

DB does not even know who is on the team yet. any opinions of the team will wait until ST 08.
Point to you but remember, this is Dusty Baker. Not Pete Mackanin or Jerry Narron or some yahoo coach in the Reds farm system. This is a guy from outside the organization with a very impressive list of accomplishments. I doubt there's no way in Hades Wayne Krivsky would treat him like he did PM. Baker has talent and experience that none of the last few Reds managers have had.

The final decision is Krivsky's but it's going to be made with a lot of DB's input.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-23-2007, 04:07 PM
....... this is Dusty Baker. Not Pete Mackanin or Jerry Narron or some yahoo coach in the Reds farm system. This is a guy from outside the organization with a very impressive list of accomplishments. I doubt there's no way in Hades Wayne Krivsky would treat him like he did PM. Baker has talent and experience that none of the last few Reds managers have had.

The final decision is Krivsky's but it's going to be made with a lot of DB's input.

let's all wait and see, dude.
After watching DB for four years in Chicago, after watching him blame everyone else for his team's troubles rather than being accountable, after watching him take what was given to him, let's wait and see.

I think the Michael Barret fiasco is a good example of DB's lack of risk taking. The first big move Lou made was to get rid of MB. The success the team had after MB was remarkable.

DB's talent? Experience is nothing more than years on the job.