PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood

GoReds33
10-17-2007, 02:05 PM
With the recent question of Dusty bringing his old players with him, I was wondering what intrest we would have in Kerry Wood. Obdviously he has the tools to be a major league pitcher. If he could be healthy he could be a good setup man/middle reliever, and possibly spot start. With his durablity issues would anybody be willing to bring him to Cincinnati?

Will M
10-17-2007, 02:13 PM
for the right price yes.
He did look pretty good at the end of 2007.
any contract would have to be incentive based.

ChatterRed
10-17-2007, 02:50 PM
As a bullpen pitcher and for the right price with incentives? Yes.

Degenerate39
10-17-2007, 03:35 PM
As a bullpen pitcher I would love the signing

ED44
10-17-2007, 03:39 PM
If healthy, he could be a dominant closer. With Weathers, Bray and Burton in front of him, I think the Reds bullpen would look very solid...all upon the assumption he could stay healthy (which I doubt would/could happen). I would take a chance though, with a low base salary with incentives.

HBP
10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Ease him into the closers role by letting him split with Weathers at first; if he can handle it, then full steam ahead. It'd be interesting to know what kind of opinion Wood has of Dusty.

Redsnake
10-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Wood reminds me of Isringhausen. Sign me up as long as Wood can get it in his head that he isn't a starter anymore.

AmarilloRed
10-17-2007, 04:00 PM
I think a 1 year deal with incentives would be a good idea.

Stephenk29
10-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Seems like a really good idea but what are the odds of him even leaving Chicago? Not good I imagine, he is pretty well liked there from what I understand. That would be a huge pick up if he remained in the bullpen. For us to get him here I would think it would take guaranteed money, not an incentive based deal.

Degenerate39
10-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Seems like a really good idea but what are the odds of him even leaving Chicago? Not good I imagine, he is pretty well liked there from what I understand. That would be a huge pick up if he remained in the bullpen. For us to get him here I would think it would take guaranteed money, not an incentive based deal.

The Reds will probably have 20 million or so to spend in the offseason so it's not like they won't have money to spend. And really there aren't that many starters to get so why not strengthen the bullpen with that money.

GoReds33
10-17-2007, 04:06 PM
I think that the closer's role might be a bit much to start with. I agree that if he is to be a closer he should be eased into the role. To awnser your question Stephenk29, I have no clue what Chicago will do. Maybe they are tired of having Kerry Wood around. I certainly hope so. He would probably be better than wasting our money on Carlos Silva.

mroby85
10-17-2007, 05:37 PM
sounds like an above average signing to me for the bullpen, however if i did sign him, i would be planning on going through the season without him, and whatever he did would be a bonus.

Casey
10-17-2007, 05:39 PM
As long as he is healthy and it was an incentive laden deal, I would be fine with it.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-17-2007, 05:51 PM
the Cub would probably be very happy to unload Kid K on an innocent victim.

GoReds33
10-17-2007, 06:40 PM
the Cub would probably be very happy to unload Kid K on an innocent victim.Victim??? I know he has had a lot of injuries, but he didn't seem too bad out of the pen this year. Maybe that is all behind him. That's what I meant when I started this. It was more of a risky move that could pay off big time.:)

Jr's Boy
10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
No ,one throw away from arm surgery.Have you noticed how thinner he looks now compared to years ago?

GoReds33
10-17-2007, 07:13 PM
No ,one throw away from arm surgery.Have you noticed how thinner he looks now compared to years ago?I heard that he was throwing up to 97mph. If that is true, he's not far from the old Kerry Wood. Besides, years ago he was one of the best pitchers in the league. For him to pay off for the Reds, if they sign him, wouldn't take as him being back to those days. If he is two thirds what he usto be he would be worth the risk.:)

Stephenk29
10-17-2007, 08:12 PM
The beat writer for the Cubs seems to think they should and will. My cub fan friend next to me here says he's a huge PR guy for the Cubs as well. Does tons of charities and community work. From this I gather he isn't leaving. If we have twenty million this year to blow we could get 3 quality pitchers out of that. I don't see why we can't go after him among others.

Hey Meat
10-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Put him in the bullpen.

stevekun
10-18-2007, 02:30 PM
We do need bullpen help really badly