PDA

View Full Version : Another LMAO at the Bengals Thread

MWM
10-21-2007, 04:20 PM
It tooks the Jets all of 3 plays to go 79 yards and score a TD onthe Bengals defense.

This is seriously one of the worst defenses I've ever seen.

I think losing has made it's was back into the Bengal culture. They had one winning season. That's it. We're in for a lot more years of bad football. Better just hunker down and learn to live with it.

WMR
10-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Carson intercepted at his own 25. :doh:

CTA513
10-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Carson intercepted at his own 25. :doh:

He had some help from TJ on that INT.

WMR
10-21-2007, 04:58 PM
He had some help from TJ on that INT.

Ahh, thanks I didn't see it (following game on GameCenter)

MWM
10-21-2007, 05:10 PM
In the history of the Bengals, have they ever has a really good defense? I've been following them sing the mid-80s and they've never had one. When they've been good, they've always had a great offense. But the defense was always a liability.

WMR
10-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Offensive holding AND intentional grounding to ensure the Bungles get no points before halftime...

was there booing as the team left the field? I've got to think there was...

SunDeck
10-21-2007, 05:34 PM
The defense of the eighties wasn't shabby. They were never known as a defensive team, particularly, but I always thought the D they put together under Gregg was pretty darned good.

guttle11
10-21-2007, 05:36 PM
They may struggle to get to 4-12.

Heck, I'm near the point of rooting for that so they can get Glenn Dorsey.

UKFlounder
10-21-2007, 05:38 PM
The clock management at the end of the half was a firable offense if our owner had any guts. To take that timeout into the locker room is a freaking joke. At least call a timeout and set up a hail mary attempt instead of trying to rush everything and not even get a legit attempt.

The coaching staff should be ashamed of the way they handled that drive, especially the final 8 seconds. Pitiful. Inexcusable.

And then to see Marvin trying to take a timeout instead of the 10 second runoff was another joke. He waited too long - call a timeout with time on the clock, not with zeros on it.

It's a shame that such bushleague decisions happen to a supposed professional team.

UKFlounder
10-21-2007, 05:39 PM
They may struggle to get to 4-12.

Heck, I'm near the point of rooting for that so they can get Glenn Dorsey.

Glenn Dorsey has talent and plays hard - the Bengals don't like that combination. Either be a Justin Smith - try hard, but have little talent or a Mathius Askew - good physical talent, but little effort or intelligence - and you'll fit right it.

No way do they take a player as good as Dorsey. They'll probably go for another running back anway.

MWM
10-21-2007, 05:40 PM
I've been a big Marvin supporter all along, but one thing is certain from any watching of the Bengals this year, this is a VERY poorly coached team.

CTA513
10-21-2007, 05:41 PM
The clock management at the end of the half was a firable offense if our owner had any guts. To take that timeout into the locker room is a freaking joke. At least call a timeout and set up a hail mary attempt instead of trying to rush everything and not even get a legit attempt.

The coaching staff should be ashamed of the way they handled that drive, especially the final 8 seconds. Pitiful. Inexcusable.

And then to see Marvin trying to take a timeout instead of the 10 second runoff was another joke. He waited too long - call a timeout with time on the clock, not with zeros on it.

It's a shame that such bushleague decisions happen to a supposed professional team.

They would have had more time on the clock if TJ didn't make the Bengals use a timeout when he could have just went out of bounds to stop the clock.

Playadlc
10-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Not only is Marvin Lewis one of the worst coaches in the league, apparently he is deaf as well.

Him trying to call a timeout right after the ref said that they are going to run 10 seconds off the clock when there is one second left is downright embarrassing.

guttle11
10-21-2007, 05:49 PM
How many times in a row can an opponent complete the quick slant before someone on the Bengals coaching staff realizes they can stop that by playing press coverage?

Have they played press coverage once all year?

Hap
10-21-2007, 06:09 PM
In the history of the Bengals, have they ever has a really good defense? I've been following them sing the mid-80s and they've never had one. When they've been good, they've always had a great offense. But the defense was always a liability.

In 1983, the defense was 1st in the NFL.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cinindex.htm

Caveat Emperor
10-21-2007, 06:14 PM
On the brightside, at least you didn't lose to the Detroit Lions today...

Oh, I know you'll say "Wait, Caveat -- the Lions have a winning record this year!"

Record be damned -- it's the LIONS. They're always going to be awful. If they have a winning record its only because they haven't had enough time to lose a proper number of games.

:censored:

guttle11
10-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Who is this team?

Am I getting Punk'd?

guttle11
10-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Unreal.

Jaycint
10-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Sigh, that call on 3rd and 7 with just under two minutes to go is absolutely maddening. Get a first down there and the game's over and the defense doesn't even have to hit the field again. But no let's run it right up the middle on 3rd and 7 instead of using our All-Pro QB and stud WR's to try and make a play like they normally would on 3rd and freakin 7. God forbid we run a pass play with the 1.2% chance Carson is gonna throw a pick and have it returned for a TD.

joshnky
10-21-2007, 07:06 PM
I know the Marvin hatred has many rooting against the Bengals now but they made some adjustments at half time and played well in the second half. I know the Jets are awful but at least the Bengals finally played a decent game.

UKFlounder
10-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Nice 2nd half by the offense.

Too bad the defense had to quit before the game was over, but perhaps holding a bad football team under 30 points is too much to expect from these scrubs.

And at least Marvin finally got to call a timeout with no time left. It was nice to see his brilliant stategy at work, allowing the two point conversion. If that's how he handles all timeouts, perhaps the league will stop allowing the Bungles to use them.

Props to the offense though for the 2nd half - give them a competent defense & special teams and this might be a contender.

guttle11
10-21-2007, 07:16 PM
They finally got the running game going, which allowed the defense to energize and attack at full speed.

Joseph finally caught a pick with those stone hands.

The team isn't going anywhere, too many shortcomings, but a win is nice.

traderumor
10-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Where did some of the posters go after the Bengals rallied?

traderumor
10-21-2007, 07:24 PM
In the history of the Bengals, have they ever has a really good defense? I've been following them sing the mid-80s and they've never had one. When they've been good, they've always had a great offense. But the defense was always a liability.The D on the '88 Super Bowl squad was very stout. The other Super Bowl D was above average in an offensive minded year as well.

WMR
10-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Bizarro Bengals!! :laugh:

GoReds33
10-21-2007, 07:36 PM
That was a good ending. I hope they can keep the momentum.

Mario-Rijo
10-21-2007, 07:37 PM
They finally got the running game going, which allowed the defense to energize and attack at full speed.

Joseph finally caught a pick with those stone hands.

The team isn't going anywhere, too many shortcomings, but a win is nice.

Don't bet on it! Take a look at the schedule and ask yourself if Henry's return after next week won't make a big difference. Actually I think Henry's absence has helped this team in the long run.

At any rate it was a nice rebound due in large part to Bratkowski finally getting his head out from between his own cheeks. You can't run a 3 wide or better scheme w/o a legit 3rd option which is exactly what they have been trying to do. Finally he starts to run the ball effectively and the offensive line finally jelled. Willie and Levi stayed in the game and stayed effective. The defense benefitted from being coached in game on the sidelines which the long drives allowed them to do. Plus they got some real solid time to get a breather for a change.

IMO this is a turning point, because they played very well the entire 2nd half scoring 21 pts on offense w/o throwing the ball all over the place and only giving up 3 points while scoring 7 on defense. With the exception of that last 8 pts in trash time.

Redsfaithful
10-21-2007, 07:37 PM
A win is a win so I'll take it, if they can get the penalties and sloppiness under control they might turn things around.

Defense really turned things around in the second half, nice to see.

Playadlc
10-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Nice win for the Bengals.

Watson is making it tough for the Bengals to not name him the starter when Johnson comes back.

camisadelgolf
10-21-2007, 07:57 PM
WHO DEY!

12-4

traderumor
10-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Question of the day. Was the running game a result of poor Jets run D more than Levi Jones' return? Probably some of both. I really wish the Ohio State coaching staff would come and give the Bengals a tackling lesson. The Bengals guys are just not aggressive enough in their approach to tackling, well, unless its the QB

GoReds33
10-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Question of the day. Was the running game a result of poor Jets run D more than Levi Jones' return? Probably some of both. I really wish the Ohio State coaching staff would come and give the Bengals a tackling lesson. The Bengals guys are just not aggressive enough in their approach to tackling, well, unless its the QBI think that it was more of confusion on the part of the Jets. Usually when the Bengals get down they pass, pass, pass. Today they stayed calm, and continued to chop away at the lead. Also, the Jets had to prepare in case Rudi played as well. They probably assumed Rudi would get the start, and were gameplanning for that.:)

Redsfaithful
10-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Question of the day. Was the running game a result of poor Jets run D more than Levi Jones' return? Probably some of both. I really wish the Ohio State coaching staff would come and give the Bengals a tackling lesson. The Bengals guys are just not aggressive enough in their approach to tackling, well, unless its the QB

I'd say largely the Jets D, but I think it was really helpful that the Bengals starting five played the entire game for the first time in quite awhile. Willie and Levi both played the entire game, and Ghiaciuc (probably spelled that wrong) had a nice game. If they can stay healthy the Bengals offense will get better.

guttle11
10-21-2007, 11:42 PM
As horrible as they've been thus far, they can draw within a game of Pittsburgh with a win next week. Amazing.

And really, next week is a make or break game for the season. A win puts them one back, a loss and they're 3 back and pretty much done.

Screwball
10-21-2007, 11:50 PM
As horrible as they've been thus far, they can draw within a game of Pittsburgh with a win next week. Amazing.

And really, next week is a make or break game for the season. A win puts them one back, a loss and they're 3 back and pretty much done.

Yep. But as much as it pains me to admit this, that game has all the makings of a lopsided L. The Steelers have an excellent running game, a stout defense with exotic blitzing schemes, and sound special teams. All three are kryptonite for the Bengals.

Unless the Bengals can come away +2 or better in the TO department, I just don't see how they win that game.

MWM
10-22-2007, 12:03 AM
They're going to get demolished by Pittsburgh, especially with the Steelers coming off a loss. They're going to put up 40 points on the Bengals and their D-Line will be all over Palmer all day.

I'm sure some are going to come back with very similar arguments we heard before they Played the Patriots. It's common sense in this case. Don't over think it. They're going to get manhandled by a much better team. The Steelers are not the Jets.

guttle11
10-22-2007, 12:15 AM
They're going to get demolished by Pittsburgh, especially with the Steelers coming off a loss. They're going to put up 40 points on the Bengals and their D-Line will be all over Palmer all day.

I'm sure some are going to come back with very similar arguments we heard before they Played the Patriots. It's common sense in this case. Don't over think it. They're going to get manhandled by a much better team. The Steelers are not the Jets.

I'd put money on you being right. I hope you're wrong, but I don't think you will be.

The only shot the Bengals have is getting an early lead and winning the running game by 50-75 yards. Make Big Ben pass and there will be turnovers to be had. If he stays balanced and can work within the offense (like the second half tonight), he'll pick that secondary apart.

Cedric
You couldn't dream up an easier beginning to the season for Pittsburgh. The only two good offenses they have faced they have given up 52 points. Not exactly dominating. They also gave up 16 points to San Fran. The worst offensive team in recent memory. They barely average 200 yards a game. That was the most yards they have had all year.

After watching Cutler tonight I think Carson should have a big game Sunday. Pittsburgh is a good football team, we'll see how good this week.

macro
In 1983, the defense was 1st in the NFL.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cinindex.htm

And mysteriously, that team managed to fall to 7-9. I shut the 1983 season out of my memory years ago. What led to the downfall? Was it the offense? Wasn't it pretty much the same offense they'd had in '81 and '82?

Also, wasn't Dick Lebeau the DC then?

Screwball
10-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Also, to anybody else that was at the game today, how drunk was the PA guy?

When Chad Pennington threw a TD pass in the 2nd half, he announced, "TD pass by Chad Johnson." He offered no correction. And then, after the PAT, he followed it with, "Extra point by Chad Johnson is good." After a brief pause, he then bellows "Correction. Mike Nugent with the kick." Ah, yes, easy to get those two mixed up.

Then there was another FG attempt (again by Nugent), and the PA guy claimed Shayne Graham was kicking it. Plus, there were a couple errors by saying it was 2nd and 7 when, in fact, it was 3rd and 1 or something similar.

I can understand making a slight mistake on down and distance once, (he did it twice), or taking a stab in the dark on a tough to pronounce name (yep, that happened too), but this guy was claiming Chad Johnson was throwing TD passes. And kicking PATs. And playing for the Jets.

By the 4th quarter, I was convinced he'd tell us it was 4th and runner on 2nd base, or that the result of the last play was traveling. Dude was just all over the place.

WMR
10-22-2007, 01:54 AM

When Chad Pennington threw a TD pass in the 2nd half, he announced, "TD pass by Chad Johnson." He offered no correction. And then, after the PAT, he followed it with, "Extra point by Chad Johnson is good." After a brief pause, he then bellows "Correction. Mike Nugent with the kick." Ah, yes, easy to get those two mixed up.

Then there was another FG attempt (again by Nugent), and the PA guy claimed Shayne Graham was kicking it. Plus, there were a couple errors by saying it was 2nd and 7 when, in fact, it was 3rd and 1 or something similar.

I can understand making a slight mistake on down and distance once, (he did it twice), or taking a stab in the dark on a tough to pronounce name (yep, that happened too), but this guy was claiming Chad Johnson was throwing TD passes. And kicking PATs. And playing for the Jets.

By the 4th quarter, I was convinced he'd tell us it was 4th and runner on 2nd base, or that the result of the last play was traveling. Dude was just all over the place.

That's not good... but REALLY funny!! :laugh:

traderumor
10-22-2007, 12:59 PM

I'm sure some are going to come back with very similar arguments we heard before they Played the Patriots. It's common sense in this case. Don't over think it. They're going to get manhandled by a much better team. The Steelers are not the Jets.Except the Patriots have made it clear they are rolling on all cylinders, whereas Pittsburgh just got beat by a struggling Denver team, so they are far from even playing a moderately similar brand of football right now. Perhaps the simplification mentioned in the game article is what the D needed to click. Of course, the biggest boost to the D was the O keeping them off the field almost the entire 3rd Quarter. Being at home, I don't see a blowout, I see the Bengals giving them their money's worth if they want to win an in-division road game.

dabvu2498
10-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Also referred to the Jets as the Eagles more than once.

Reds Freak
10-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Where did some of the posters go after the Bengals rallied?

What are they going to whine about if the Bengals are doing well? It's like on the post game show, all the callers were complaining about the fans and how they gave up on the team in the first half...

Redsfaithful
10-22-2007, 03:58 PM

The Steelers aren't the Patriots either. Far from it.

Going to be a tough game though for sure, I am hoping Ahmad Brooks will be back. If they can pressure Ben I think they'll have a shot.

TC81190
10-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Also referred to the Jets as the Eagles more than once.

That's all some funny stuff. :laugh: