PDA

View Full Version : New Coach

BEETTLEBUG
10-22-2007, 05:35 PM
No for Wally Backman. It was stated on ORG that Reds were talking to him.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-22-2007, 05:55 PM
wally is not under consideration for any major league team, for any position.

a manager who can't control his emotions in the independent leagues does not belong anywhere near professional baseball.

loser - the Dbacks made the correct decision.

GoReds33
10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
This would be a completly ignorant decision. I seriously hope this is all crap. I don't think any team would be dumb enough to take this guy though.

AmarilloRed
10-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Still, nothing -- absolutely nothing -- stings like unfulfilled hope; like the idea that an opportunity passed without fruition. During lunch at Meadow Lakes, Backman's cell phone rings and he jumps from the table.

"It's the Reds," he says. "Maybe they're interested …"

Maybe.

At this point, Backman no longer needs to be hired as a big league manager. He would gladly take a job on Dusty Baker's staff in Cincinnati. On Piniella's staff in Chicago. On Leyland's staff in Detroit. ("He certainly deserves another chance," Leyland says. "Wally is a very intelligent baseball guy.") He'd gladly head a Triple-A team; maybe even a club in the Atlantic or Northern leagues, a higher class of independent ball than the South Coast League.

It sounds like Wally is simply trying to find a spot back in the major leagues. I don't think anyone from the Reds has talked to him; the author just cited the Reds as an example of a team Wally would like to join.

markymark69
10-23-2007, 12:30 PM
John Fay mentioned on his blog the possibility of Chris Speier joining the staff. If I'm not mistaken he was with Dusty in Chicago. He would certainly fill the bench/infield coach that Baker intimated that he would hire.

SeeinRed
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Per John's blog:

No word on coaches

No announcement will come on the two coaches until after the World Series,
Rob Butcher says.

[sarcasm] Suspense is killing me. I wonder if it is such a monumental announcement that the commissioner's office has asked them not to announce it? Barry Larkin....[end sarcasm] :D

TheWalls
10-24-2007, 04:18 PM
[sarcasm] Suspense is killing me. I wonder if it is such a monumental announcement that the commissioner's office has asked them not to announce it? Barry Larkin....[end sarcasm] :D

You know...

- spoiled brat that would have loved to loaf for Dusty (and push him around) in his playing days,
- Cincinnati guy who would put butts in the seats (think Tom Hanks waving to the crowd in 'A league of their own'),
- the much needed "infield guy"
- a younger coach that "today's player can relate to" (read: Junior and Dunn would have a new playmate)

I say - it could happen. Shame on the Reds. Ugh.