PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we go after ARod?

GoReds44
10-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Just thinking about it...Wish we could try and go after him..Can't even imagine the stats he would put up..What do you guys think? Do we got any chance at all in getting him to come to Cincy?

AmarilloRed
10-24-2007, 10:44 PM
No. It would be safe to say A-Rod will get a contract of 7-10 years at about $35 million a year. We could pay for an entire starting rotation with that money.

TheWalls
10-24-2007, 11:08 PM
No. One Seattle retread that doesn't know how to win is plenty, thank you.

Crumbley
10-24-2007, 11:36 PM
A-Rod's life long dream is to play in front of the good people of Hamilton County.

fadetoblack2880
10-25-2007, 07:01 AM
If A-Rod can pitch out of the bullpen or can go 200+ innings this year, sign him.

Bip Roberts
10-25-2007, 09:05 AM
If we dont sign Dunn or trade Griffey we would have the money to do it. Of course we wouldnt have much left over for anything else unless we raised payroll but none the less we have the money to do it.

durl
10-25-2007, 09:25 AM
I would think that we could keep Dunn and get a #1 starter for what A-Rod would cost. If the Reds are going to spend a lot of money, it needs to be on pitching.

*BaseClogger*
10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Everyone keeps saying that we should spend that money on pitching but... what good FA pitchers are out there? Lets get A-Rod and then deal some of our excess position players for pitching...

ChatterRed
10-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Prove to him the cost of living in Cincinnati is about 1/10th of what it is in California, Chicago, Atlanta, New York and about anywhere else, and then offer him $20 million per year......hehehe. ;)

Jr's Boy
10-25-2007, 12:18 PM
What are you smoking?His contract right now is more than three team's combined.

Edd Roush
10-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Reds' fans should know better than any others that future success is never guaranteed. Exhibit A is Ken Griffey Jr. Almost every Reds' fan was ecstatic with the news of Griffey trade, and praised Bowden for getting him and at a "hometown discount." Fast forward three years and the Reds' have been weighed down by Griffey's ~14 per year. Imagine what would happen to the Reds if ARod and his 35 million dollar salary went on the DL for a significant portion of time, I pass.

Bring me Joe Nathan or the Yankee battery of Posada and Rivera. I want a closer and if I can get a catcher with it, I'm a happy man.

kbrake
10-25-2007, 12:30 PM

Yeah thats nice. Junior doesnt know how to win? How many guys could win with this group of Opening Day starters
Pete Harnisch
Joey Hamilton
Jimmy Haynes
Cory Lidle
Paul Wilson
Aaron Harang

I know its easy to go after the guys who make money but you cant blame Junior for being surrounded by nothing.

AmarilloRed
10-25-2007, 12:32 PM
One thing I have been wondering is who does he think is going to pay him more than the Yankees? He is with the Yankees in large part because the Rangers are still paying part of the original contract. If he declines the option and goes into free agency, I am not sure if anyone will pay him more than the 25 million he is being paid now from the Rangers/Yankees. Alex Rodriguez may very well find out that he might get a pay cut if he enters free agency.

I(heart)Freel
10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
One thing I have been wondering is who does he think is going to pay him more than the Yankees? He is with the Yankees in large part because the Rangers are still paying part of the original contract. If he declines the option and goes into free agency, I am not sure if anyone will pay him more than the 25 million he is being paid now from the Rangers/Yankees. Alex Rodriguez may very well find out that he might get a pay cut if he enters free agency.

I agree on the money part - no one will pay him more - but will he want to stay in NYC if the Yanks go through a rebuilding?

Granted, a Yankee rebuilding a little different than most.

steig
10-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Should we go after him -- no. But I think the team may at least inquire about contract requirements with A-Rod to see if a contract could be worked out.

WMR
10-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Yeah, who needs the best player in the game?

But no, Pay-Rod isn't coming to Cincy. His yearly contract would be nearly half of our entire team's salary.

Blue
10-25-2007, 01:50 PM
You're talking about a guy who would play SS and hit 40+ HRs a year, likely with an OPS of .950 or so... and the reaction is "nah, I'd rather have a guy who can throw 200 innings or a relief pitcher". That's ridiculous. I'd be all for adding his right-handed thump to the lineup.

I think there will actually be a lot of teams in on A-Rod. There are large market teams who can get him because they currently have the payroll flexibility to add him, and small market teams who could afford him if they believe he'll back their half empty ballparks.

terminator
10-25-2007, 01:53 PM
He's due to make $27MM from 08-10, so he's not opting out and leaving unless he's getting $30MM or more and for more than three years. He's durable and would put up other worldly stats here, but there's no way he's coming to Cincinnati with a price tag of $30MM+.

I think he'd be an upgrade over EE though . . . :p:

Chi-Town Red
10-25-2007, 06:26 PM
A-Rod to the Reds...now thats funny

GoReds33
10-25-2007, 06:37 PM
As long as he doesn't end up in Chicago, I have no care as to where he goes. He is a great player, but he alone will not win this team games. It would take him, and a couple more pitchers to get this team to the postseason.

Redhook
10-25-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a better chance of catching a fart in the wind than ARod coming to Cinci.

WMR
10-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I have a better chance of catching a fart in the wind than ARod coming to Cinci.

"So you're sayin' there's a chance?"

Will M
10-25-2007, 10:52 PM
ARod isn't a SS anymore. Heck, his defense at 3B the last couple of years has been pretty ugly. Plus as others have pointed out he wants an insane amount of money. Pass.

Bigredfan#1
10-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah thats nice. Junior doesnt know how to win? How many guys could win with this group of Opening Day starters
Pete Harnisch
Joey Hamilton
Jimmy Haynes
Cory Lidle
Paul Wilson
Aaron Harang

I know its easy to go after the guys who make money but you cant blame Junior for being surrounded by nothing.

I agree, what would have happened if JR would have stayed healthy, WOW, he would be taking the HR title away from Bonds in 08 or maybe even have it already!!

Bigredfan#1
10-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Could you imagine a lineup of

Hamilton - CF
Philips - 2B
Griffey - RF
ARod -SS
Dunn - LF
EE - 3B
Votto - 1B
WHOEVER - C

Harang
Bronson
Bailey
Belisle
WHOEVER

jmac
10-27-2007, 12:29 PM
As long as he doesn't end up in Chicago

You got this right ! :D

as_v_1
10-27-2007, 01:05 PM
It would be insane to sign ARod for the amount of money he is asking for. Its not just the money even thou thats bad enough, but its the amount of years he wants also. If were going to spend lets spend wisely and on pitching.

TC81190
10-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Maybe it has no chance in hell, but I do know this:

If the Reds signed Alex Rodriguez, I would buy season tickets right on the spot. (You hear me Reds FO? ;) )

AmarilloRed
10-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Yankees to Offer Record Setting Deal to A-Rod

Buster Olney's got the scoop on Alex Rodriguez:

"The offer could be for something in the range of five years -- beyond the three years Rodriguez is already under contract for, from 2008-10 -- and perhaps $30 million a year."

If somehow you're behind in the A-Rod times, catch up here. Since that post, the Yankees have requested a meeting with their third baseman sometime before his deadline (10 days after the end of the World Series) to announce whether he will opt out or not. And now it looks like we know why.

Reading between the lines, if the Yankees make this offer, it would be to retain the talent in light of Brian Cashman's firm stance that if A-Rod opts out then the Yankees will not negotiate. Also, the offer will prevent $21.3 million still due on A-Rod's contract in subsidy from the Texas Rangers from slipping away. Whether or not it signifies that other teams would be able to approach this record offer remains up for speculation.

$150MM extension would net A-Rod a colossal $230MM over the next 8 years. That's up from his current $25.2 million to $28.75 million/year, edging out Roger Clemens' $28 million one-year contract.

I would imagine Alex would accept this offer, and we will see Alex as a Yankee for some time to come. It will all depend on what happens with the Yankees meeting with A-Rod.

GoReds33
10-27-2007, 06:09 PM
AmarilloRed, in the intrest of space I'm not going to copy your post. I really hope he stays with the Yankees. I don't know if he will though. He could easily get thirty million dollars a year for eight years on the open market. I don't think this offer will get it done.

AmarilloRed
10-27-2007, 06:22 PM
The five year extension he will get after 2008-2010 will average $30 million a year. I suppose we will both see after the Yankees meeting with Alex.

Vada Pinson Fan
10-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Could billionaire Bob Castellini sign ARod to the Reds? YES.
Will Castellini do it? NO.

Let's just get very good pitching (excellent pitching if possible) and stop thinking about acquiring hitting for this off-season, even if that hitting belongs to the soon to be named 2007 AL MVP. "Great pitching stops great hitting."

rotnoid
10-28-2007, 08:19 PM

Let's just get very good pitching (excellent pitching if possible) and stop thinking about acquiring hitting for this off-season, even if that hitting belongs to the soon to be named 2007 AL MVP. "Great pitching stops great hitting."

Well said. Even if we add hitters, I've had my fill of losing 10-9 games. Let's go win some 2-0 for once. I can think of so many better ways to spend $30 million dollars.

GoGoWhiteSox
10-30-2007, 09:16 PM
No chance in hell the Reds sign A-Rod.

Hey Meat
10-31-2007, 09:15 PM
ARod will wear pinstripes, but in Chicago.

GoReds33
10-31-2007, 09:31 PM

Let's just get very good pitching (excellent pitching if possible) and stop thinking about acquiring hitting for this off-season, even if that hitting belongs to the soon to be named 2007 AL MVP. "Great pitching stops great hitting."Honestly I don't think that Castillini is a billionaire. I looked on Forbes list of the billionares, and he wasn't on there. Does anybody have something that says different? I guess this gives hope to the rest of us.:)

WMR
11-01-2007, 07:01 PM
ESPN reports A-Rod is looking for 12-yrs. @ 30 million per!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boras really is a piece of work.

I guess he's setting his sites unbelievably high so when some team settles on 9 or 10 they'll be able to stomach it a little easier.

Degenerate39
11-01-2007, 07:13 PM
ESPN reports A-Rod is looking for 12-yrs. @ 30 million per!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boras really is a piece of work.

I guess he's setting his sites unbelievably high so when some team settles on 9 or 10 they'll be able to stomach it a little easier.

360 Million is a crazy amount of money for one athlete.

Screwball
11-01-2007, 07:14 PM
360 Million is a crazy amount of money for one athlete.

They termed it a "corporate acquisition." I just don't see what team could possibly agree to the terms of said "corporate acquisition."

WMR
11-01-2007, 07:15 PM
They termed it a "corporate acquisition." I just don't see what team could possibly agree to the terms of said "corporate acquisition."

Not to mention you can't include partial ownership of the club as part of the deal. MLB has already poo-pooed that idea.

Screwball
11-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Not to mention you can't include partial ownership of the club as part of the deal. MLB has already poo-pooed that idea.

Yep. Although I thought it was pretty interesting they threw Detroit's name into the mix, seeing as how they've helped out Boras before in dealing with Pudge and Magglio Ordonez when not too many other teams would. But still, 360 Mill? 12 years?? Those numbers are ludicrous.

Redhook
11-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Boras should just go for the Billion dollar contract. Why not at this point? This is beyond ridiculous. What kind of society allows athletes to make half a billion dollars? Give me a break. There really needs to be a cap. The cap should be 10-15 million per year with incentives.

AmarilloRed
11-02-2007, 12:38 AM
I remember the trouble Texas had trying to deal with the ramifications of the $250 million deal they signed him to. They just now got out of it when A-Rod left the Yankees. What owner/GM will want to put his team in a big financial hole for one player like that again?

durl
11-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Boras should just go for the Billion dollar contract. Why not at this point? This is beyond ridiculous.

+1

I agree completely. The Rockies made it to the World Series with a total payroll of under $55 million and A-Rod wants over half that much just of himself and his agent? I would LOVE for A-Rod to have to sit out awhile simply because no team would give him a contract.

GoGoWhiteSox
11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
ARod will wear pinstripes, but in Chicago.
Which Chicago team with pinstripes? ;)
Just kidding, I know which one you mean.