PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News....McCarver is an idiot

lo ryder
10-25-2007, 11:50 PM
From the commentary I just heard in the 8th inning, it is a great athletic move to miss a line drive and fall on your a$$. How does this moron have a job and why does Fox continue to hire him. Worthless.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Sorry, this is NOT breaking news.

It is a long-established fact.

Red in Atl
10-26-2007, 02:51 AM
this guy has been a joke since 1990...didn't he dis us back then?

I know everyone else did....

AccordinglyReds
10-26-2007, 02:56 AM
When I saw 'Breaking News.....McCarver" I clicked predicting that it would be "is an idiot."

haha

Yeah he's been pretty bad his entire career.

steig
10-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Worst baseball commentator ever

TheWalls
10-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Seems only fair as he was quite possibly, and with all due respect ot Joe Garagiola, the worst major league catcher ever and only stayed around because Steve Carlton said so.

*BaseClogger*
10-26-2007, 09:32 AM
this was not McCarver's first offense...

CarolinaRedleg
10-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Enjoy

http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/gems.htm

BurgervilleBuck
10-26-2007, 02:26 PM
You never heard Gordy Coleman, did you?

Hey Meat
10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
From the commentary I just heard in the 8th inning, it is a great athletic move to miss a line drive and fall on your a$$. How does this moron have a job and why does Fox continue to hire him. Worthless.

Do they still have Shut up Tim McCarver.com?

GoReds33
10-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Do they still have Shut up Tim McCarver.com?Yep, and I found this little gem on there.

The Tim McCarver quote of the year:

"If you leadoff and you play every day, you're guaranteed to bat with the bases empty at least 162 times." - July 8th, 2006

10-27-2007, 02:02 AM
this guy has been a joke since 1990...didn't he dis us back then?

I know everyone else did....

In game three or four of the NLCS against Pittsburgh, he ripped Pinella for a double switch that he claimed might backfire three innings later. He kept talking about it all game. Would not shut up about it.
Of course, he was wrong about it and Pinella took a shot at him in the post game interview.

However, the best (worst) McCarver comment came back when he was doing Monday Night baseball for ABC. He said to start off the game, (paraphrasing)
"Over the stadium is the GoodYear blimp, which is ironic, because Dwight Gooden is pitching and he has had a good year."
Not just a groaner, but the wrong use of ironic.

UC_Ken
10-27-2007, 09:58 AM

You can take out the word baseball. He's the worst in ANY sport. Musberger's pretty bad though.

rotnoid
10-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I think my favorite McCarver moment (yes, I have ONE), was when Deion gave him the gatorade shower. Other than that, I've been watching the WS pretty much on mute.

kaldaniels
10-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Yep, and I found this little gem on there.

The Tim McCarver quote of the year:

"If you leadoff and you play every day, you're guaranteed to bat with the bases empty at least 162 times." - July 8th, 2006

Yes McCarver is an idiot...but thats not a bad observation for a commentator to make. If put in an intelligent conversation (ex. why leadoff guys RBIs are low, or why it is impressive for a certain leadoff guy to have a ton of ribbies) and in the right context it is an excellent point. Astute fans already know this of course. Realize, we are living in a country that needs the overtime rules of college football hashed out for us each and every game.

GoReds33
10-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Yes McCarver is an idiot...but thats not a bad observation for a commentator to make. If put in an intelligent conversation (ex. why leadoff guys RBIs are low, or why it is impressive for a certain leadoff guy to have a ton of ribbies) and in the right context it is an excellent point. Astute fans already know this of course. Realize, we are living in a country that needs the overtime rules of college football hashed out for us each and every game.He's to baseball what Madden is to football.:)

gedred69
10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
McCarver IS an idiot. The only reason he lasted longer in MLB than a Moeller, is that he was the Designated Catcher for one of the game's very best. In the great 1990 series listening to him I said to myself, this guy is History in the booth. Geez, was I wrong. He still unbelieveably, lives.

Vada Pinson Fan
10-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Whenever I see McCarver doing a broadcast- I turn the TV to another channel. I just can't listen to that guy. I do love the story I once heard about McCarver when he was St.Louis' catcher and was walking to the mound to say something to Bob Gibson. Gibson supposedly said "What the hell do you know about pitching?" and McCarver turned around and walked back to the plate!

10-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Whenever I see McCarver doing a broadcast- I turn the TV to another channel. I just can't listen to that guy. I do love the story I once heard about McCarver when he was St.Louis' catcher and was walking to the mound to say something to Bob Gibson. Gibson supposedly said "What the hell do you know about pitching?" and McCarver turned around and walked back to the plate!

That sums up the biggest problem I have with McCarver. It is not that he says stupid things any more often than other color guys, it's just that he always talks like he is the smartest guy in the room. He is convinced that no one understands baseball as well as he does, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

LincolnLandReds
10-29-2007, 05:47 PM
McCarver is just the most horrible announcer EVER. Who do we complain too. Does he have something on Selig to keep getting this gig every year. He was horrible during the Reds 1990 World Series when on CBS (which causes me to ask another question, who at Fox Sports was so deaf to hire him again???)