PDA

View Full Version : Boof Bonser or Kevin Slowey for Ryan Freel

AmarilloRed
10-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Thoma expects the Twins to fill this void by trading Boof Bonser or Kevin Slowey, with the Mets, Rays, Reds, and D'Backs as possibilities. That seems to imply a deal for Lastings Milledge, Carlos Gomez, Rocco Baldelli, Ken Griffey Jr., or Carlos Gonzalez. Actually Griffey seems unlikely...Ryan Freel maybe? You tell me.

This most likely would be a low-profile move by Krivsky to upgrade the starting pitching. It is well known he likes to deal with the Twins,and I do not believe Ryan Freel is in the Reds future plans. Here are Bonser and Slowey's 2007 numbers:

Boof Bonser :31 g, 30 starts, 8-12, 173 IP, 199 hits, 27 hr, 65 walks, 136 strikeouts, 5.10 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, .286 BAA.

Kevin Slowey: 13 games, 11 starts, 4-1, 66 2/3 IP, 82 hits, 16 hr, 11 walks, 47 strikeouts, 4.73 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, .288 BAA.

Both of these pitchers are very young , and I would expect they would improve on the numbers in the future. They are both expected to be at the back end of the rotation for now, but we need to improve on that as well. I really see no downside to make a trade like this.

Edd Roush
10-29-2007, 04:24 PM
There is no way an overpaid player off an injury would net Bonser or Slowey. Unless, the Twins have the same infatuation with Reds player that the Reds have with Twins players.

Bip Roberts
10-29-2007, 04:25 PM
no way haha

There was a point where i would have taken slowey for dunn

Screwball
10-29-2007, 04:55 PM
I'd love to see a deal like this to be made. It helps to relieve the glut of outfielders, as well as keeping the Shearns and Dumatraits of the world out of the rotation.

My problem is that I just can't see the Twins doing it. Why would they target Freel or Griffey when they could get a talent like Lastings Milledge?

SMcGavin
10-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Krisvky for GM of the Year if he pulls off Freel for either of those guys. The Twins do seem to have a lot of SP talent though, so either of the guys you mentioned might be good trade targets. Not happening for Freel though.

David Cubbedge
10-29-2007, 05:14 PM
where is this rumor coming from?

Bigredfan#1
10-29-2007, 05:37 PM
I'd rather see the Reds pursue Nathan in a trade, I believe that a top flight closer is the # 1 need. Slowey or Bonser would be ok but lets get Nathan.

GoReds33
10-29-2007, 05:46 PM
I'd rather see the Reds pursue Nathan in a trade, I believe that a top flight closer is the # 1 need. Slowey or Bonser would be ok but lets get Nathan.Nathan has a team option this offseason. If they don't pick it up he will be a free agent. Maybe he would come here.

AmarilloRed
10-29-2007, 06:18 PM
where is this rumor coming from?

Where else? Mlbtraderumors.com. Torri Hunter will be a free agent, and the Twins need to get an outfielder to replace him. I simply used Ryan Freel as an example, but there are several outfielders with the Reds who might suffice. The Twins have plenty of quality starters, and I would like very much if the Reds could swing this deal.

Stephenk29
10-29-2007, 06:22 PM
There is no way this is legit. The Twins are always looking to lower the payroll and Griffey doesn't help that situation. Freel will never pull a guy like Bonser in. If Krivsky pulls that I might become speechless.

AmarilloRed
10-29-2007, 06:27 PM
It is legitimate(I think) that the Twins will need an outfielder with Hunter gone , and it is possible they will trade Bonser or Slowey to get that outfielder. We can only speculate on what the Twins would accept to make that happen. As for Nathan, the Twins exercised his $6 million option today.

redsfanmia
10-29-2007, 07:45 PM
It is legitimate(I think) that the Twins will need an outfielder with Hunter gone , and it is possible they will trade Bonser or Slowey to get that outfielder. We can only speculate on what the Twins would accept to make that happen. As for Nathan, the Twins exercised his $6 million option today.

Its going to take Hamilton not Freel or Griffey to get either of these two pitchers.

OldRed1966
10-29-2007, 08:18 PM
These guys hits to innings pitched ratios are awful.

NorrisHopper30
10-29-2007, 08:22 PM
I'll take Boof just because of his name.

TC81190
10-29-2007, 08:32 PM
These guys hits to innings pitched ratios are awful.

They're also rookies. Homer Bailey's H/9 was atrocious, too.

OldRed1966
10-29-2007, 09:23 PM
They're also rookies. Homer Bailey's H/9 was atrocious, too.

No it wasn't. Bailey only gave up 43 hits in 45 innings.

Vada Pinson Fan
10-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I'd save Hamilton and Freel plus a minor leaguer or two for Erik Bedard. Not Boof or Slowey. Trading proven talent (even w/ Josh Hamilton's limited Major League stats in 2007) for either one of those two pitchers would handcuff the Reds in a bigger/better deal.

Revisit Bonser or Slowey during Spring Training if there is still a need at that time. If they (Slowey and Bonser) are traded before then, so be it. The Reds need a #1 or #2 starting pitcher and a stud closer. Nothing short of that IMO.

Keep Votto, Bruce, Bailey, Cueto and Maloney. They are the Reds bright future and bread and butter.

AmarilloRed
10-29-2007, 09:58 PM
The Orioles will want 2-3 position players for Eric Bedard. Votto and Encarcion might get it done, but we might also have to add Hamilton. I seriously doubt Freel would be involved in a trade for Bedard. We do need a front of the rotation starter, but we also need someone on the back end.Torri Hunter made 12 million last year, so the Twins wouldn't lose much if we traded Griffey for Bonser or Slowey. I realize now Freel probably wouldn't be enough to get it done; we will probably need to shop a better outfielder or add another prospect to sweeten the pot.

Blue
10-29-2007, 11:34 PM
I think I'd probably go with Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Cueto, and Maloney in the starting rotation. We don't yet have the kind of depth in the majors and at the upper levels of the minors to do big trades for guys like Bedard.

AmarilloRed
10-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Bailey might start 2008 in the starting rotation with a good spring training, but I expect Cueto and Maloney will start 2008 in AAA, and not make the Reds until at least the All-Star break.

*BaseClogger*
10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Would they do an Encarnacion for Bonser/Slowey?

AmarilloRed
10-30-2007, 11:34 AM
I would imagine not. They are looking for an outfielder since Hunter is leaving.

Stephenk29
10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
No it wasn't. Bailey only gave up 43 hits in 45 innings.

This is about right on par with Harang even. He's a legitimate ace and he averages about a hit for ever inning pitched, has so for almost every year he's been in the bigs.

I think Bailey is ready, now or never.

Orenda
10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
This is about right on par with Harang even. He's a legitimate ace and he averages about a hit for ever inning pitched, has so for almost every year he's been in the bigs.

I think Bailey is ready, now or never.

He is good enough to occupy a spot in the rotation, but that doesn't mean he should. In my opinion he should be in AAA throwing at least 40-50 percent off speed stuff.

ChatterRed
10-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Its going to take Hamilton not Freel or Griffey to get either of these two pitchers.

No thanks. Hamilton should net atleast a proven #2 or #3 starter.

DannyB
10-30-2007, 06:11 PM
There is no way an overpaid player off an injury would net Bonser or Slowey. Unless, the Twins have the same infatuation with Reds player that the Reds have with Twins players.

These are the same Twins that signed Juan Castro as a free agent.
Never say never....

*BaseClogger*
11-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Who is there 3rd baseman? I believe they spent much of the season giving the AB's to one of the least effective players in the majors last season- Nick Punto...

Stephenk29
11-02-2007, 06:07 PM

So your saying Hamilton would get us someone like....Ted Lilly, Kelvim Escobar, or Mark Buerle? Someone around these guys caliber?

redsfanmia
11-02-2007, 06:32 PM

I really dont think so, the guy cant stay healthy and that whole drug addiction thing. I really wonder what is value is?

AmarilloRed
11-02-2007, 10:20 PM
His rookie year there were some injury issues, but it is a supposition he will be continually injured. The Reds have his rights for 5 year, and it will be 3 before arbitration becomes an issue. He has had a drug addiction past, but he seems to be behind that. I agree he should bring a #2 or a #3.

Screwball
11-03-2007, 03:27 AM
His rookie year there were some injury issues, but it is a supposition he will be continually injured. The Reds have his rights for 5 year, and it will be 3 before arbitration becomes an issue. He has had a drug addiction past, but he seems to be behind that. I agree he should bring a #2 or a #3.

Agreed 100% AR.

Trying to knock Hamilton is grasping, IMO. Dude is nothing less than a stud when he's on the field. Granted, he played less than we'd all have liked to see in '07, but as I said in a different thread, it's really not something to be expected in the future. He's a special talent, and something worthy of very high value in a trade.

Mark my words: If Hamilton doesn't become a star with the Reds, he will with whoever gets him for giving up a stud pitcher.

redsfanmia
11-03-2007, 05:16 AM

He had only played a handful of games in the last 4 years and the he comes back and gets injured alot. Thats a short history of injuries but still a history of injuries.