PDA

View Full Version : Griffey to the Braves??

tbball10
11-01-2007, 01:11 PM
didnt see this posted anywhere.. to me, it dosent make much sense for atlanta to do but whatev..

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/10/31/time_for_braves.html

redsupport
11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
pray for it

AmarilloRed
11-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I read the article. There were a couple of problems with it. 1. Ken Griffey is not a center fielder 2. The Reds (I don't think) are not required to pay half the deferred money in a trade 3. The Braves are looking for starting pitching, and would be unlikely to give the Reds any in a trade 4. The writer seems unaware of Griffey's option year next year.

ChatterRed
11-01-2007, 01:54 PM
If we can unload Junior, just to relieve us of his salary.......I'm all for it. We could better spend that money elsewhere.

dunner13
11-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Jr. did have the most HRs of any RF in the NL. I would still trade him but he should have some value, he's getting 12 mill next yr which is reasonable for his production. The only thing that hurts his value is age and injury risk.

ChatterRed
11-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Jr. did have the most HRs of any RF in the NL. I would still trade him but he should have some value, he's getting 12 mill next yr which is reasonable for his production. The only thing that hurts his value is age and injury risk.

I just think we are a young team and are better served by going completely young and moving on. Out with the old guys. ;)

GoReds33
11-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I just think we are a young team and are better served by going completely young and moving on. Out with the old guys. ;)
Very well put. There is no sense holding on to expensive veterans when there is no possible chance we will be in the World Series next year. We need to unload him, just to clear salary, and let Jay Bruce sink or swim next year. It should be Bruce's job to lose.

as_v_1
11-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Very well put. There is no sense holding on to expensive veterans when there is no possible chance we will be in the World Series next year. We need to unload him, just to clear salary, and let Jay Bruce sink or swim next year. It should be Bruce's job to lose.

Couldn't agree more.

jimbo
11-01-2007, 03:09 PM
There is no sense holding on to expensive veterans when there is no possible chance we will be in the World Series next year.

I wonder how many Rockies fans thought the same thing last offseason?

I really don't think this team is that far away from being a playoff team, especially in the National League. Griffey gets slammed for everything under the sun, but the numbers he put up last season would be difficult to replace and he is relatively cheap when considering those numbers.

I'm all for trading him, or anyone for that matter, if a good offer comes along, but in no way should he be given away.

mound_patrol
11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
I wonder how many Rockies fans thought the same thing last offseason?

I really don't think this team is that far away from being a playoff team, especially in the National League. Griffey gets slammed for everything under the sun, but the numbers he put up last season would be difficult to replace and he is relatively cheap when considering those numbers.

I'm all for trading him, or anyone for that matter, if a good offer comes along, but in no way should he be given away.

I think you are right when you say the Reds aren't to far off from being able to contend in this league. But if i'm running this team I'm definitly trying to find space for Bruce to play. And if I'm getting rid of a player currently in the outfield I'm actively shopping Jr while listening to offers about Hamilton.

jimbo
11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
But if i'm running this team I'm definitly trying to find space for Bruce to play.

Why? Can we really expect a rookie who has never hit a major league pitch to come in and put up the kind of numbers that Junior put up last season? Homer showed us last season that domination in the minors does not equate to instant success in the majors. Why not ease him into the role?

If you do trade Griffey and automatically place Bruce in RF, then you better get enough in return to help in another aspect of the team........as in pitching. I'm not at all in favor of already throwing the towel in for next season.

mound_patrol
11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Why? Can we really expect a rookie who has never hit a major league pitch to come in and put up the kind of numbers that Junior put up last season? Homer showed us last season that domination in the minors does not equate to instant success in the majors. Why not ease him into the role?

If you do trade Griffey and automatically place Bruce in RF, then you better get enough in return to help in another aspect of the team........as in pitching. I'm not at all in favor of already throwing the towel in for next season.

I don't think you'd be throwing in the towel. Bruce may not put up Jr numbers right away, but I think he'd be able to hit. There is a huge difference between Bruce and Bailey. Bailey was living on fastballs alone and everyone knew it. Bruce hasn't been slowed at any level and doesnt seem to have any glaring weaknesses. I'm a fan of challenging young promising hitters. I'm also a fan of getting a full year out of his first arbitration year and saving money from Jr.

jmac
11-01-2007, 04:12 PM
I wonder how many Rockies fans thought the same thing last off season?

:beerme:

Redhook
11-01-2007, 06:41 PM
I'd pay money to watch Bruce play. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about JR. anymore. I really want this team to get younger and that would start by JR. being traded.

SMcGavin
11-01-2007, 06:52 PM

As someone said above I think Bruce is much better equipped to be a good ML player right now than Bailey was. I think you could count on at least an .800 OPS from Bruce out there as a rookie, and his defense is much better than KGJ too. So, I wouldn't call Bruce an immediate upgrade, but I think he'd be pretty similar to what Griffey gives you. So if I could get something useful (e.g. a halfway decent pitcher) I'd pull the trigger.

jimbo
11-02-2007, 12:57 AM
As someone said above I think Bruce is much better equipped to be a good ML player right now than Bailey was.

That may be true, but many fail to recognize that moving from the minors to the majors is a much more challenging transition than it is moving up the A minor league chain. I think this team can win next season and if I have the choice between Griffey or a minor league player who has never seen a major league pitch (regardless of who it may be), I'll take Griffey every day of the week. Anyone remember Brandon Larson?

There is no reason why Bruce and Griffey cannot share roster spots on the same team next season. Griffey is basically on a one-year contract now for $9 million, and the numbers he put up last season for that price is a bargain.

If you can trade him for a SOLID return, then I'm all for it. Giving him away though just to free up salary, would just be the same type of mistake this organization has been making for years.

AmarilloRed
11-02-2007, 01:03 AM
I read the article, but the writer didn't mention what the Braves would be giving up to get Junior. I am pretty sure the Braves will have to give up some pretty talented pitching prospects for the Reds to trade Griffey.