PDA

View Full Version : Edwin to the Yankees for Ian Kennedy-trade rumor

AmarilloRed
11-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Haven't heard this one much for the Yanks' third base vacancy: Edwin Encarnacion. Kat O'Brien suggests it. How about for Ian Kennedy?

Copied this off mlbtraderumors.com. Here are Ian Kennedy's 2007 numbers with the Yankees:1-0, 3 games, 3 starts, 19 IP, 13 hits, 6 runs, 4er, 1 hr, 9 walks, 15 strikeouts, 1.90 ERA, 1.16 WHIP.

rotnoid
11-04-2007, 07:08 PM
There better be more moves coming if this is true. Trading away the one RH bat with a little pop on the field doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even if a guy like Kennedy is the return.

I(heart)Freel
11-04-2007, 07:23 PM
There better be more moves coming if this is true. Trading away the one RH bat with a little pop on the field doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even if a guy like Kennedy is the return.

I disagree. We must must must improve the pitching. And while I like Edwin fine, we do have a replacement for him. Can't say the same about the 4-5 starter spots.

Kennedy will be young and cheap for 3 years. I would so pull the trigger on that. But not sure the Yanks would. Gotta love them needing a third baseman though and about to rebuild. Edwin is a perfect fit for them.

GoReds33
11-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I disagree. We must must must improve the pitching. And while I like Edwin fine, we do have a replacement for him. Can't say the same about the 4-5 starter spots.

Kennedy will be young and cheap for 3 years. I would so pull the trigger on that. But not sure the Yanks would. Gotta love them needing a third baseman though and about to rebuild. Edwin is a perfect fit for them.I don't know if Edwin is a perfect fit for them, but he is a viable replacment. The only thing that concerns me is how he handles himself under pressure. He has domino effect syndrome. When he isn't doing well he does terrible. In New York he will be under tremendous pressure all the time. It would be intresting to see how that would play out. Would it make him stronger or would it crush him?

rotnoid
11-04-2007, 07:50 PM

Kennedy will be young and cheap for 3 years. I would so pull the trigger on that. But not sure the Yanks would. Gotta love them needing a third baseman though and about to rebuild. Edwin is a perfect fit for them.

While I agree that we must improve the pitching, we also must improve hitting from the right side of the plate. Trading away from a source of weakness to address a source of weakness doesn't make sense. Especially when there are better options. Trading Votto and/or Hamilton not only impacts the make up of the existing team less, it also probably brings back more in return. Trading Edwin, while if this rumor is true, will bring Ian Kennedy, takes right handed pop (one of the biggest offensive holes on this team) away and moves a bench player into an every day role.

I'm not saying that I am opposed to moving Edwin, I'm just saying there better be more moves behind it. As a stand alone, it's not my idea of the best option.

Doro
11-04-2007, 07:51 PM
I dont know much about Kennedy but if he improves our rotation I dont care about losing a little pop out of our lineup.... we have enough pop.

Degenerate39
11-04-2007, 08:05 PM
You really need to put trade rumor first.

AdamDunn
11-04-2007, 08:10 PM
God, I would love it if this were to happen

AmarilloRed
11-04-2007, 09:37 PM
2. Look for a new third baseman.

A perfect fit might be Mike Lowell, but that can happen only if the Red Sox don't re-sign the World Series MVP. Other than Lowell and Rodriguez, the free-agent market is thin.

On the trade front, the Yankees could pursue the Marlins' Miguel Cabrera at a premium price. Other possibilities include the Rangers' Hank Blalock (though he hits lefthanded and the Yankees are lefty-dominant), the White Sox's Joe Crede and the Reds' Edwin Encarnacion.

One thing to watch first is if the Yankees sign Mike Lowell to be their third baseman. If that doesn't happen, then it is possible the Yankees will pull a trade to address their needs at third base. 15-20 hr and 80 rbi is not what I call pop. Their has always been a chance the Reds would seek to trade Edwin for starting pitching, and I think this trade will help the team. As for Edwin being our only right handed hitter, Jeff Keppinger is a reasonable substitute to play third base.

Degenerate39
11-04-2007, 09:40 PM
2. Look for a new third baseman.

A perfect fit might be Mike Lowell, but that can happen only if the Red Sox don't re-sign the World Series MVP. Other than Lowell and Rodriguez, the free-agent market is thin.

On the trade front, the Yankees could pursue the Marlins' Miguel Cabrera at a premium price. Other possibilities include the Rangers' Hank Blalock (though he hits lefthanded and the Yankees are lefty-dominant), the White Sox's Joe Crede and the Reds' Edwin Encarnacion.

One thing to watch first is if the Yankees sign Mike Lowell to be their third baseman. If that doesn't happen, then it is possible the Yankees will pull a trade to address their needs at third base. 15-20 hr and 80 rbi is not what I call pop. Their has always been a chance the Reds would seek to trade Edwin for starting pitching, and I think this trade will help the team. As for Edwin being our only right handed hitter, Jeff Keppinger is a reasonable substitute to play third base.

I'm not too crazy about handing Keppinger a starting spot. But if he didn't work out as a starter they could always try Freel or Cantu there. But I really don't want to see Edwin go unless it's a really good return.

AmarilloRed
11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
If you are not willing to spend money in free agency to address our starting pitching needs, than it becomes necessary to trade for it. I would miss Edwin, but we really need to upgrade our starting pitching. We have a very small sample size size to make any hard decisions on Ian Kennedy, but I think it is something to consider. We have considerable depth in position players in the infield, so I could see the Reds using that in any trade they might do.

AmarilloRed
11-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Yanks Not Willing to Deal Young Pitchers

By RONALD BLUM
AP Baseball Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Hank Steinbrenner was clear on what the New York Yankees won't do to get Miguel Cabrera. "It's pretty obvious which players we're not going to trade," the owner's son said Wednesday, before rattling off the team's most-prized young pitchers. "Chamberlain, Hughes and even Kennedy. Not for a position player."

As the Florida Marlins try to gauge what teams would give them for their All-Star third baseman, the Yankees are showing qualified interest. Yes, they'd love Cabrera to replace Alex Rodriguez, but they're prepared to wait for the asking price to go down. For now, when other teams inquire, Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy aren't available.

I wonder what the Yankees think other teams are going to ask for in a trade. They will ask for those 3 prospects, so this seems to indicate the Yankees will not participate in any trade talks for a while. In any case, Ian Kennedy is no longer a possibility for a trade, so the Mods might want to consider closing this thread.

Jay Bruce
11-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Yanks Not Willing to Deal Young Pitchers

By RONALD BLUM
AP Baseball Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Hank Steinbrenner was clear on what the New York Yankees won't do to get Miguel Cabrera. "It's pretty obvious which players we're not going to trade," the owner's son said Wednesday, before rattling off the team's most-prized young pitchers. "Chamberlain, Hughes and even Kennedy. Not for a position player."

As the Florida Marlins try to gauge what teams would give them for their All-Star third baseman, the Yankees are showing qualified interest. Yes, they'd love Cabrera to replace Alex Rodriguez, but they're prepared to wait for the asking price to go down. For now, when other teams inquire, Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy aren't available.

I wonder what the Yankees think other teams are going to ask for in a trade. They will ask for those 3 prospects, so this seems to indicate the Yankees will not participate in any trade talks for a while. In any case, Ian Kennedy is no longer a possibility for a trade, so the Mods might want to consider closing this thread.

Cabrera is 24, and already a fabulous hitter. The Marlins should expect nothing less than a package that includes one of Hughes or Chamberlain from the Yankees if they are going to trade them Cabrera. If the Yankees think they can get Cabrera without giving up those three, they are either living in a dream world, or willing to include Chein-Ming Wang in the package.

NYDCYankee
11-08-2007, 06:15 AM
I am one of those Yankees that doesn't want to trade the young pitching. Ian has done nothing but sparkle at every level he has pitched at including his final start of the year against Toronto in which he gave up 1 hit over eight innings. He was also named Minor League Pitcher of the Year.

Encarnacion does intrigue me though, I have to admit that.

Orenda
11-08-2007, 08:01 AM
There should be a followup article something like this

"MLB not willing to trade stars to Yankess for second tier prospects or players"