PDA

View Full Version : Griffey wants to retire a Red

Bigredfan#1
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Even though it might benefit him and the Reds if were traded, I am glad to here he wants to be in Cincy. He will retire a player that I will say "what if?" If he had not gotten hurt he would surely have demolished Bonds record for HRs. He was on a pace that would have brought him to that at the very least next year. Instead of going for 600 he would be taking aim at 800. Like Griffey and always have, liked his dad when he played for the Reds!!

Degenerate39
11-05-2007, 06:05 PM
I'd like to see Dunn move to first base, Griffey move to left, Bruce in Center and Hamilton in Right.

AmarilloRed
11-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I imagine he should retire after the 2008 season. I am not sure if the Reds will pick up his expensive option if Bruce can supply similar production at the minimum salary.

GoReds33
11-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Though Junior is the greatest player of our time, I think this team would be better served not keeping him around. After next year they should decline his option, and take the draft picks. We do atleast get a couple picks for him I think. Then Bruce will get more of an oppertunity to show his colors.

fadetoblack2880
11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Though Junior is the greatest player of our time, I think this team would be better served not keeping him around. After next year they should decline his option, and take the draft picks. We do atleast get a couple picks for him I think. Then Bruce will get more of an oppertunity to show his colors.

I agree. I would hate to see him anywhere else, but I think the Reds would benefit from his departure.

BLEEDS
11-05-2007, 06:30 PM
He would be best served doing that. He doesn't seem to me to be the kinda guy that wants to play out the string in anymore unis/cities. He's finally feeling the affects of father Time.

My guess:
He'll play in Cincy every day (except day games following night game prior night) until he breaks 600 HR's and/or the All-Star Break. By then, Bruce will get the call-up and he will take some PT - and some advice from the old man - who'll be 38 by next year and will turn 39 in the off-season.

Then, when we don't pick up his option in 2009, he'll walk off into the sunset. I don't think he wants to play when he's 40.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

*BaseClogger*
11-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Although I agree that it would be best not to pick up Griffey's option, that is only if we can't extend Dunn. Bruce can have Dunn's spot if he leaves.
However, if we can extend Dunn, Griffey's option should not be picked up. If we are out of the race when July rolls around next year, and we have extended Dunn, we should go to Griffey and tell him our intentions. Basically, tell him that it would be the best for the team if he leaves 2 months early so the Reds can get a couple of prospects in return... would be a sad way to see Griffey leave, but I'm not concerned with people's feelings, only what is in the best interest of the team...

Redus
11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
misleading title to thread

Bigredfan#1
11-06-2007, 01:04 AM
misleading title to thread

Did not mean for it to be!!

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 01:10 AM
I see it this way. The Reds will decline Griffey's option next year if they manage to extend Dunn. They will pick up Griffey's option if Dunn gets traded this year or if he decides to not extend with the Reds. I would be very surprised to see both Griffey and Dunn on the Reds in 2009.

ChatterRed
11-06-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't see the Reds picking up Griffey's option in any way or form. They will unload that salary as soon as they can. If Junior went through injury plagued seasons in his early to mid-thirties, what's going to happen now? Plus, the Reds cannot keep both Dunn and Griffey. Obviously Adam is heading into his prime years right now.

My opinion of the Reds plans are this:

I think they want to get Bruce up here as soon as possible. I also think they know that Josh Hamilton is their best tradebait for acquiring pitching. I see Hamilton traded and Bruce replacing him.

If they could get any takers for Griffey, I think they'd trade him in a heartbeat. I doubt there are any takers. BUT if there were and Junior and Hamilton were gone, you'd see an outfield of Dunn, Hopper and Bruce. More than likely you'll see Junior, Dunn and Bruce with Hopper as the 4th outfielder.

I would love to see Bailey traded straight up for Cabrera. I'd then stick Cabrera on 1B and try and trade Votto for pitching.

In the end, I see no one but maybe Josh Hamilton being traded and Bruce replacing Hamilton.........and the rest of the lineup remaining status quo. Then they will sign Cordero to be the closer, and maybe a free agent starting pitcher.

Alot of if's, and's, or but's this offseason. I think we will see some action though.

muethibp
11-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Agree with the above poster. This is Jr.'s last year on the Reds. I can't even imagine what it would take for him to be brought back.

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 11:18 AM
It would take Hamilton and Dunn being traded for pitching. Someone has to play the outfield, and Hopper will not start over Griffey. I would be very surprised if that happens though.