PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn please come to Redsfest

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Last year was my first year at Redsfest and it was a blast. My only gripe was the absence of Adam Dunn. I'm not sure if I quite understand what his thinking is. I think making an appearance like this would be a huge step towards winning over the fans. Maybe he doesn't care what we think, but I have a hard time believing that. Adam seems like a guy that would be fun to go and have a beer with, his teamates like him, he has a good sense of humor, why not reach out and become a poster child for Reds baseball. I can understand if he has obligations on that weekend every year that he cannot cancel, but if not it's just one weekend(actually one day is all he would have to show up for) that he would have to give up, and who knows he might enjoy it.

bounty37h
11-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Man, I am bummed, I have never been to RedsFest. I live in NC, and got married during RedsFest last year, so missed the first one back, and am in a wedding here this year too. Next year, thats my anniversary trip!!!!!

otto
11-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Last year was my first year at Redsfest and it was a blast. My only gripe was the absence of Adam Dunn.

His first child was being born right around RedsFest, so he couldn't make it.

Ahhhorsepoo
11-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Who Cares? the absence of Adam Dunn only makes me want to go to Redsfest.. The reds dont need ol noodle arm, who carries a lead glove, they need actual players.. not overpaid AL DH's in the NL..

aaronboonefan
11-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I, too, hope that Adam makes an appearance this year. Just to let you know, though, he usually comes. I've been to the past four or five and I believe last year was the first year he didn't attend; which was understandable considering the birth of his son.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Who Cares? the absence of Adam Dunn only makes me want to go to Redsfest.. The reds dont need ol noodle arm, who carries a lead glove, they need actual players.. not overpaid AL DH's in the NL..
Save such a foolish comment for people who are not Reds fans.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I, too, hope that Adam makes an appearance this year. Just to let you know, though, he usually comes. I've been to the past four or five and I believe last year was the first year he didn't attend; which was understandable considering the birth of his son.
Good to hear, hopefully he is there this year then. Like I said before he seems like a very nice guy.

Stephenk29
11-06-2007, 01:46 PM
He actually is a pretty down to earth cool guy. Met him at Hooters and he invited me to sit down and have a beer with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he was there this year. If not, I'm sure he has a good reason.

GoReds33
11-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I hope he, as well as more Reds come this year. Last year the only really good Reds players who were there signing were Arroyo and Phillips. I would like to see Griffey make it, though he'll probably find some lame excuse not to make it. I would also like to see Harang. I got to talk to Jay Bruce last year, and that was really fun. I also got to meet a few more minor leaguers. I really love the players on the rise thing too. I hope Votto is there too.

Degenerate39
11-06-2007, 03:05 PM
If the majority of fans would quit calling for his head then he'd probably go. Dunn is one of my favorite players and I hate to see him get treated like it's his fault the Reds haven't made the playoffs.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-06-2007, 03:23 PM
If the majority of fans would quit calling for his head then he'd probably go. Dunn is one of my favorite players and I hate to see him get treated like it's his fault the Reds haven't made the playoffs.Couldn't agree more, at times I wish that more Reds fans could get behind the players that they do have and create a better atmosphere for the players. If you were a free agent, bad weather unexciting town aside, would you want to come here with the way we treat JR and Dunn. I wouldn't

bengalsown
11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I would like to see Griffey make it, though he'll probably find some lame excuse not to make it.

Spending time with his family, after spending 7 months or so away from them, is a completely lame excuse to not make it. Griffey sucks and is selfish!!111

DannyB
11-06-2007, 06:58 PM
I hope he, as well as more Reds come this year. Last year the only really good Reds players who were there signing were Arroyo and Phillips. I would like to see Griffey make it, though he'll probably find some lame excuse not to make it. I would also like to see Harang. I got to talk to Jay Bruce last year, and that was really fun. I also got to meet a few more minor leaguers. I really love the players on the rise thing too. I hope Votto is there too.

I think JR used to make a cameo regularly

GoReds33
11-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Spending time with his family, after spending 7 months or so away from them, is a completely lame excuse to not make it. Griffey sucks and is selfish!!111The season ended for Griffey in mid September. Is it too much to come back to Cincinnati to hang out for a couple days in December. I'm sure he had plenty of time to catch up. I understand that after all that time away from his family he needs to see them, but two days isn't going to kill him.:)

Ahhhorsepoo
11-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Pretty sure griffey will have gigs like this to show up for the rest of his life.. why not let him live his life during the offseason.. unlike alot of current major leaguers.. he will have a lifetime job being a spokeman and model for the MLB.. especially having been the greatest or tied for it with steroid man in this era.. Many players know their light only lasts a few years soo they must soak it in.. but griff.. that guy will be busy doing cameos all the rest of his life at mlb parties.. soo I dont have a problem with him trying to be there for his kids while they grow up..

Ahhhorsepoo
11-07-2007, 10:50 AM
dont understand how one player makes or breaks your desire to go to redsfest.. not like we know griff is dying next january.. then yeah maybe i would want to be able to tell him how great he is in my eyes..

scounts22
11-07-2007, 11:32 AM
The season ended for Griffey in mid September. Is it too much to come back to Cincinnati to hang out for a couple days in December. I'm sure he had plenty of time to catch up. I understand that after all that time away from his family he needs to see them, but two days isn't going to kill him.:)

Jr does sometimes show up unannounced, however, it's usually just for an hour to do autographs for kids.

I know this was stated before, but AD had been at every Redsfest except last year because of the birth of his son. I've gotten to meet him a couple times and he's been very nice, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him there this year.

A quick story: At a Redsfest a couple of years ago, there was a picture line with Adam and Brandon Larson. The way the line worked, you went by Larson first, and then Dunn. My friend and I didn't want to be rude and ignore Brandon, so we walked up to get our picture with him. As we approached, Brandon started doing all these stupid karate moves and acted like he was going to karate chop us. He was being studpid with every group of people that came up. We got our picture with him and walked over to Adam. He knew Larson was being a total ****** bag and was totally annoyed with the whole situation. The look on his face the entire time was one of disgust. We let him know we felt really bad for him!

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-07-2007, 11:37 AM
dont understand how one player makes or breaks your desire to go to redsfest.. not like we know griff is dying next january.. then yeah maybe i would want to be able to tell him how great he is in my eyes..One player doesn't affect my desire to go, in fact I have already bought a ticket and booked a room. I think what everyone is saying is that it would be nice if the true core players for this team could all be there. After going last year for the first time I will be going every year from now on and would suggest it to any and all Reds fans.

Screwball
11-07-2007, 12:03 PM
How much are tickets to Redsfest? I wasn't planning on going, but all this talk about it has me quite interested...

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-07-2007, 12:04 PM
How much are tickets to Redsfest? I wasn't planning on going, but all this talk about it has me quite interested...about 24 dollars for two days, and 15 for one day

bounty37h
11-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Jr does sometimes show up unannounced, however, it's usually just for an hour to do autographs for kids.

I know this was stated before, but AD had been at every Redsfest except last year because of the birth of his son. I've gotten to meet him a couple times and he's been very nice, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him there this year.

A quick story: At a Redsfest a couple of years ago, there was a picture line with Adam and Brandon Larson. The way the line worked, you went by Larson first, and then Dunn. My friend and I didn't want to be rude and ignore Brandon, so we walked up to get our picture with him. As we approached, Brandon started doing all these stupid karate moves and acted like he was going to karate chop us. He was being studpid with every group of people that came up. We got our picture with him and walked over to Adam. He knew Larson was being a total ****** bag and was totally annoyed with the whole situation. The look on his face the entire time was one of disgust. We let him know we felt really bad for him!

Yeha, taking to time to get personal and friendly with fans, even if dorky, what a ******bag.

scounts22
11-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeha, taking to time to get personal and friendly with fans, even if dorky, what a ******bag.

I guess if you'd have been there then you'd understand. It was weird to the point it made me uncomfortable. And others there made comments too. He came off as though he didn't really care to be there and he didn't care how he acted.

By the way, that's the only experience I've had that was in any way negative. If you haven't been to Redsfest, go. It's a great time for all ages!

bounty37h
11-07-2007, 02:49 PM
I guess if you'd have been there then you'd understand. It was weird to the point it made me uncomfortable. And others there made comments too. He came off as though he didn't really care to be there and he didn't care how he acted.

By the way, that's the only experience I've had that was in any way negative. If you haven't been to Redsfest, go. It's a great time for all ages!

If he was doing it in a way that seemed he didnt want to be there, thats different, I read it more as he is just that socially awkward, and was trying to offplay it using dorky moves to overcompensate. Man Scounts, I really, really want to go, and am going to try my dang hardest to make it up to Cincy next year for it, never been, wish I could make it this year, but have a wedding that day (and am in it, so cant just not show up). Sux being a fan of a team from another state-those of you around there-I hope you appreciate having such great access and events around our team!

Jefferson24
11-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I have bought my tickets and booked the room. My wife and 11 year old son will be coming with me. We are going to both days because it's a 6 hour drive for us. Too far to drive just for one day's worth. Will there be enough activities to do to keep us interested for both days? I'm hoping they don't become bored around supper time the first night.

scounts22
11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
I have bought my tickets and booked the room. My wife and 11 year old son will be coming with me. We are going to both days because it's a 6 hour drive for us. Too far to drive just for one day's worth. Will there be enough activities to do to keep us interested for both days? I'm hoping they don't become bored around supper time the first night.

There should be TONS to keep you busy. Closer to that weekend they'll post (I believe) a schedule of events you can take a look at on cincinnatireds.com. They also hand you a schedule when you walk in. If you're interested in pictures/autographs, you'll definitely need to have a plan as sometimes people you want to see will have overlapping appearance times. Going both days will be a bonus so you have a better chance at seeing all of the players.

I highly recommend checking out the kids press conference. There are usually 4 or 5 current players that field questions from kids in the audience and they usually do a great job, it's both adorable and hilarious! If your son likes baseball cards, they also had a cool game held at the main stage where everyone got a pack of cards. They would ask you to open the pack and then they had all sorts or categories of cards you had to find, for example, who had the oldest player, who had a reds player, who had a player born in a certain year, etc. Each time you found a card in your pack that matched their question, you won more packs of cards. I walked away with almost 20 packs of free cards last year.

I would also recommend going to reds.com to take a look at the info they have there now. There's pictures and information from last year's event.

By the way bounty37h, because of renovations at the convention center, Redsfest had been cancelled for two years until last year. After going 3 or 4 years in row, not having it those 2 years was torture. It's a great way to get your baseball fix between those long winter months and I'm so glad it's back!! :beerme:

Stephenk29
11-07-2007, 04:13 PM

weird because the time I spoke of earlier Dunn was with Larson, they seemed like pals to me.

bounty37h
11-07-2007, 04:41 PM
There should be TONS to keep you busy. Closer to that weekend they'll post (I believe) a schedule of events you can take a look at on cincinnatireds.com. They also hand you a schedule when you walk in. If you're interested in pictures/autographs, you'll definitely need to have a plan as sometimes people you want to see will have overlapping appearance times. Going both days will be a bonus so you have a better chance at seeing all of the players.

I highly recommend checking out the kids press conference. There are usually 4 or 5 current players that field questions from kids in the audience and they usually do a great job, it's both adorable and hilarious! If your son likes baseball cards, they also had a cool game held at the main stage where everyone got a pack of cards. They would ask you to open the pack and then they had all sorts or categories of cards you had to find, for example, who had the oldest player, who had a reds player, who had a player born in a certain year, etc. Each time you found a card in your pack that matched their question, you won more packs of cards. I walked away with almost 20 packs of free cards last year.

I would also recommend going to reds.com to take a look at the info they have there now. There's pictures and information from last year's event.

By the way bounty37h, because of renovations at the convention center, Redsfest had been cancelled for two years until last year. After going 3 or 4 years in row, not having it those 2 years was torture. It's a great way to get your baseball fix between those long winter months and I'm so glad it's back!! :beerme:[/QUOTE]

Yeha, I knew they had cancelled it a few years, as those were my first years out of college where my schedule would allow it and I could afford it with a real job finally, of course they didn't have it :thumbdown. Once they did have it again last year, it came on my wedding day, so missed it again, and of course, I am in a wedding this year as well on that date. I am keeping next Dec open, completely, and booking as soon as the date is announced :) It is something I really want to go to, I am fortunate to be able to see many Reds players before they get to Cincy when they come through town with L-ville (Durham Bulls, NC), but have never seen the Reds in Cincy, and only seen them live once in a real game (not spring training or HOF game) in 1983 in Pittsburgh (my parents drove me up for my birthday, and I think it may have been Benchs last away home run-who was my hero). When I do make it up there for next years event, it would be cool to meet some of the people on here at RedsFest.

gedred69
11-07-2007, 07:30 PM
I just really hope a lot of the top players show, and give us the opportunity to get autographs. That would make for some really cool Xmas gifts for my maniac Reds family.

LincolnLandReds
11-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Redsfest will keep your family entertained. Its a blast, short of the some of the lines that make your feet hurts by Saturday night. But its all fun. My 12 years old loves it. We went last year, had a blast. Meet some of my hero's (Concepcion, Soto, Foster, Dibble, Eric Davis) and he got to meet alot of the current guys (Phillips, Ross, Valentin, Arroyo). We also went back in 2003 when Dunn, Larkin and Kearns where the guys to get. Plus we got to talk with Nuxall (Lets all pray he gets feeling better after his pacemaker surgury) and Jim O'Toole. No one really crowded around them and O'Toole told us about pitching in the 61 series facing Mantle and Maris. Was just very interesting. Plus there are so many other things to do, speed pitches, wiffle ball, the Hall of Fame, Reds Jeporady (I won a round of it last year). Its just a real cool think. Much Much better than the ones the Cubs and Cardinals put on. Plus for the Reds, autographs are free. At the Cardinals one, it cost $40 for an adult to get in and if your lucky, you can be one of the couple hundered that gets to pay $150 for a Pujols autograph ticket. Very few free autographs there and all the current players you have to pay for their autographs. So Reds fans should take full advantage of what Redsfest is offering.

GoReds33
11-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Redsfest will keep your family entertained. Its a blast, short of the some of the lines that make your feet hurts by Saturday night. But its all fun. My 12 years old loves it. We went last year, had a blast. Meet some of my hero's (Concepcion, Soto, Foster, Dibble, Eric Davis) and he got to meet alot of the current guys (Phillips, Ross, Valentin, Arroyo). We also went back in 2003 when Dunn, Larkin and Kearns where the guys to get. Plus we got to talk with Nuxall (Lets all pray he gets feeling better after his pacemaker surgury) and Jim O'Toole. No one really crowded around them and O'Toole told us about pitching in the 61 series facing Mantle and Maris. Was just very interesting. Plus there are so many other things to do, speed pitches, wiffle ball, the Hall of Fame, Reds Jeporady (I won a round of it last year). Its just a real cool think. Much Much better than the ones the Cubs and Cardinals put on. Plus for the Reds, autographs are free. At the Cardinals one, it cost $40 for an adult to get in and if your lucky, you can be one of the couple hundered that gets to pay $150 for a Pujols autograph ticket. Very few free autographs there and all the current players you have to pay for their autographs. So Reds fans should take full advantage of what Redsfest is offering.Last year I had to pay $30 for an Eric Davis autograph. That is a rip-off. I do however feel glad that they give us the prospects free. At this point I already have about 5 Jay Bruce autographs. Now I really hope he becomes a star.:)

LincolnLandReds
11-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Last year I had to pay $30 for an Eric Davis autograph. That is a rip-off. I do however feel glad that they give us the prospects free. At this point I already have about 5 Jay Bruce autographs. Now I really hope he becomes a star.:)

You stood in the line to get his autograph at his both for his DVD. We got his for free in a regular line:thumbup: Tom Browning did the same, he signed for free in regular areas, then signed for donations at his charity both, so there was chances to get everyone for free.

aaronboonefan
11-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Just thought I'd post an updated list of players, including an Adam Dunn appearance on Friday!

From the Redsfest site:
"Players and staff are already signing up for Redsfest 2007.
Update I - Bronson Arroyo, Brandon Phillips, David Ross, Marcus McBeth,Norris Hopper, Ryan Hanigan, Jared Burton, Brad Salmon, Todd Coffey,Bobby Livingston, Marty Brennaman, Thom Brennaman, and Chris Welsh.
Update II - Dusty Baker, Ryan Freel, Billy Hatcher, Mark Berry, Jeff Brantley,Tommy Helms, Lee May, Todd Benzinger, Jim O’Toole, Leo Cardenas
Update III - Chris Dickerson, Richie Gardner, Drew Stubbs, Justin Turner, Chris Valaika, Todd Frazier, Ted Power, Eric Davis, Juan Lopez, Javier Valentin, Tom Browning, Juan Castro, Bill Bray, Jeff Keppinger, George Foster
Update IV - Chuck Harmon, Mike Stefanski, Matt Belisle, Dick Pole, Ron Oester, Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Homer Bailey, Craig Tatum, Adam Dunn (Friday only)
More updates to be posted soon. All players and staff subject to change.
Unfortunately, Josh Hamilton will no longer be able to attend Redsfest due to a family function. However, Josh has been the first player confirmed to attend the Reds Winter Caravan taking place January 24-27. The Reds and Josh apologize for any inconvenience that may be caused to fans attending Redsfest who had previously expected to see Josh at the event."