11-06-2007, 07:14 PM
It is actually simple:
1. Dunn
OR
2. Griffey & Hat
OR
3. Griffey & Votto

Here is why. We have six candidates for 4 spots:
Bruce, Hamilton, Dunn, Griffey, Votto & a platoon of Hat/Cantu.

Hamilton and Bruce are the only players who belong in RF or CF.
Griffey was ok but not great in RF this season and really belongs in left ( or DH ).
Dunn is a LF/DH who doesn't want to play 1B.
Votto can play 1B or LF.
Hat/Cantu are 1B only.

So...Hamilton and Bruce need to stay to play RF & CF.
Either Dunn or Griffey plays left.
Whoever doesn't play left from this duo gets traded, there is no where else on the Reds for them to play.
Votto, Votto/Cantu or Hat/Cantu at 1B.

Scenario 1:
Trade Dunn.
Griffey is the left fielder. Votto at 1B.
Keeping Hat around makes sense. Griffey won't play 162 games and Votto can play some LF giving Hat/Cantu some time at 1B.

Scenario 2:
Trade Griffey & Hat.
Dunn is the left fielder. Votto at 1B.
Dunn probably will play every day & both Votto and Hat are lefty hitters. This leaves Hat in a pinch hitting role ( and we probably would do better trading him for value ).

Scenario 3:
Trade Griffey & Votto.
This leaves us with Dunn-Bruce-Hamilton in the OF and Hat/Cantu at 1B. IMO we would have to get a BIG return to trade Votto
( Votto is valuable to the Reds Because he is good & cheap for several years ).

Thoughts?

Degenerate39
11-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Trade Votto put Dunn or Griffey at 1st then the other at Left field. Then have Bruce and Hamilton take up Center and Right.

kbrake
11-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Trade Griffey if you can. Dunn/Hamilton/Bruce in the OF. Votto at first. Hatteberg off the bench.

Will M
11-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Trade Votto put Dunn or Griffey at 1st then the other at Left field. Then have Bruce and Hamilton take up Center and Right.

IMO:

Griffey has never played 1B and I am not sure he would be good there with all his leg injuries. With all the stretching required at 1B he could tear a hamstring.
Playing LF would seem to be where he is best ( or DH ).

Dunn has expressed a desire NOT to play 1B in the past.
IF he would play 1B & IF he would work hard at being a good defensive 1rst baseman then he could play there.
Count me skeptical of either of these.

Will M
11-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Trade Griffey if you can. Dunn/Hamilton/Bruce in the OF. Votto at first. Hatteberg off the bench.

I am all for trading Griffey.

In this scenario I am just not sure Hat gets enough at bats to stay fresh. Therefore he could go to IF we got value for him.
Hat for 150 ABs beats an A level minor leaguer but would you rather have Hat get 150 ABs or trade him for a solid reliever?

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Keep Dunn/Hamilton/Griffey for the outfield this year. Let Bruce have one more year of seasoning at AAA, then bring him up in 2009 and decline Griffey's option. Trade Hatteberg and Freel for pitching. I believe the Rangers are interested in Hatteberg. Cantu can help off the bench.

Will M
11-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Keep Dunn/Hamilton/Griffey for the outfield this year. Let Bruce have one more year of seasoning at AAA, then bring him up in 2009 and decline Griffey's option. Trade Hatteberg and Freel for pitching. I believe the Rangers are interested in Hatteberg. Cantu can help off the bench.

The problem with this is that Griffey & Dunn are both statues in the outfield. The defense would be MUCH improved replacing one of them with Bruce.

PLUS isn't Griffey's buyout $4M for 2009?

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 09:56 PM
even if the buyout is $4 million we would get draft picks... Plus... don't forget we don't have Dunn extended yet...

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 10:37 PM
I would trade Griffey if we could, but I don't think another team would take his price and the deferred money. Why trade for Griffey when you can sign Jose Guillen for 5 million? I think we will have Griffey 1 more year. Here are Guillen's and Griffey's 2007 numbers. Guillen:.290 23 hr 99 rbi .353 obp .460 slg. Griffey .277 30 hr 93 rbi .372 obp .496 slg. As you can see, we have very similar production from two different right fielders, and this might depress the trade market for Griffey somewhat.

Redhook
11-07-2007, 08:02 AM

The Reds need to keep Votto. He's good, young, cheap and I don't think he'd bring back a good enough pitcher to justify trading him.

Putting Dunn at first is a very bad idea, IMO. Does anyone really want Dunn to touch the ball approximately 2000 times next year? I know I don't. Dunn's stays in LF where he's not as much of a liability.

JR. won't go to first. No chance.

If I'm the Reds, I'd trade JR. in a heartbeat. I really want this team to start preparing for the future instead of hanging on to the past.

gedred69
11-07-2007, 10:12 PM

The problem I see here, is IF, Bruce proves himself to be MLB ready. As I have stated in numerous posts, we all missed it with Votto last year. He was ready, but the Reds had re-signed Hatteberg. (I woulda' done the same), not realizing Votto was ready for MLB. If Bruce proves to be ready, bring him on. Period.

AmarilloRed
11-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Griffey, Dunn and Hamilton are set right now for 2008. If the Reds decide to trade Hamilton for pitching, I can see Bruce starting next year. I just think the Reds will prefer him to play everyday in AAA then sit on the bench in the majors.

DannyB
11-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I would trade Griffey if we could, but I don't think another team would take his price and the deferred money. Why trade for Griffey when you can sign Jose Guillen for 5 million? I think we will have Griffey 1 more year. Here are Guillen's and Griffey's 2007 numbers. Guillen:.290 23 hr 99 rbi .353 obp .460 slg. Griffey .277 30 hr 93 rbi .372 obp .496 slg. As you can see, we have very similar production from two different right fielders, and this might depress the trade market for Griffey somewhat.

:eek:
I dont see the similarity at all

Degenerate39
11-09-2007, 05:56 PM
The Reds need to keep Votto. He's good, young, cheap and I don't think he'd bring back a good enough pitcher to justify trading him.

Putting Dunn at first is a very bad idea, IMO. Does anyone really want Dunn to touch the ball approximately 2000 times next year? I know I don't. Dunn's stays in LF where he's not as much of a liability.

JR. won't go to first. No chance.

If I'm the Reds, I'd trade JR. in a heartbeat. I really want this team to start preparing for the future instead of hanging on to the past.

I wouldn't put Dunn or Jr. at First either I was just stating another possiblity. Everyone complains about Dunn in Left Field. I'd rather trade Junior out of the bunch. Have an outfield of Dunn, Hamilton, and Bruce. With Votto at First.

AmarilloRed
11-09-2007, 11:02 PM
:eek:
I dont see the similarity at all

They are both right fielders; Guillen just costs a lot less than Griffey. Their production is also pretty close to the same level.