PDA

View Full Version : Cordero and Reds agree for 4 years, $46 million!!!!

goodwilly98
11-23-2007, 05:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3124583

We got our shutdown closer!

Chi-Town Red
11-23-2007, 05:28 PM
just read it on ESPN...great news!!!:thumbup:

HBP
11-23-2007, 05:29 PM
I love it. Although there are some obvious risks involved with giving that much money to a closer, we had to get one. And he's a good one. Thanks for stepping up Cast.

Now, lets get Kerry Wood or Bartolo Colon to go with him.

BenHayes
11-23-2007, 05:29 PM
baby let the season begin

Degenerate39
11-23-2007, 05:30 PM
This is pretty exciting news.

goodwilly98
11-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Definite risks, but we basically solved 2 bullpen spots with this deal, move Weathers to his more comfortable setup role, and add a bonafide stud shutdown closer who wont' raise our BP every time the 9th inning starts

Hardly can say we overpayed considering the talent out there on the FA market. He was the best of the bunch.

Nice to see the Reds actually being proactive and landing the top FA pitcher out there.

BenHayes
11-23-2007, 05:32 PM
yes sir an insentive laden contract for kerry wood and christmas looks a lot brighter!

HBP
11-23-2007, 05:32 PM
BTW, the Brewers will get the Reds 2nd round pick in the draft since Cordero was a type A free agent.

Will M
11-23-2007, 05:33 PM
yes sir an insentive laden contract for kerry wood and christmas looks a lot brighter!

I agree. We could still go after Wood. Last I heard he wanted 2 yrs at $5M/year.

Oxilon
11-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Now I'm just simply drooling at the idea that we sign Kerry Wood. Talk about going from one of the worst 8th-9th combos to one of the best. And he's only looking for a 2 yr/$10MM contract. Injury history aside, that looks like the best move from here on.

Redsnake
11-23-2007, 05:35 PM
I have to say that I'm pretty happy about the move. WK does play his cards very close to the vest. Didn't see this one coming.

Will M
11-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Bob C & the Reds have to spend some money and take some risks if they want to compete. The 2006 & 2007 free agent classes were/are fairly weak. Subtract the guys who want to play on the coasts. Subtract the guys who resign with their current team. Subtract the guys who only want the huge huge money ( ie Zito, etc ) who were never going to come to the Reds.
When you look at the pitchers left Cordero is one of the best if not the best. So the Reds got IMO the best pitcher likely to come here.

5TimeWSChamps
11-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Not sure how I feel about the signing. Adding $11 million in payroll right away on a 32 year old reliever basically ends any additional spending by the team.

Burton looked to have closer's stuff last year, and now he's 5 years away from the closers job now in Cincinnati.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 05:42 PM
When was the last time we had a burner as closer?

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Not sure how I feel about the signing. Adding $11 million in payroll right away on a 32 year old reliever basically ends any additional spending by the team.

Burton looked to have closer's stuff last year, and now he's 5 years away from the closers job now in Cincinnati.

I feel more comfortable having both guys in our bullpen. I liked Burton but Cordero has been pretty good for a long time while Burton just did it half a season.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 05:45 PM
BTW how bad are hte Brewers taking a hit this year. Lost Linebrink, Cordero and added Mota. :laugh:

5TimeWSChamps
11-23-2007, 05:45 PM
^ I agree with the comfort level, but throwing $46 million at one guy basically still leaves us with 2 holes in the starting rotation. I DO NOT want to see Matt Belisle out there every 5th day again this year.

captainmorgan07
11-23-2007, 05:51 PM
good deal by Wk and BobC securing the back end was a huge plus. Now if we go out and find a starter we'll be good.

SoTxRedsFan
11-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Huge upgrade at both Closer and Setup man. Great day to be a Reds fan. Lot of money, but it was a huge need.

SoTxRedsFan
11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Can't wait to see him closing down wins for Homer, Cueto and Aaron for the next 4 or 5 years.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 05:56 PM
^ I agree with the comfort level, but throwing $46 million at one guy basically still leaves us with 2 holes in the starting rotation. I DO NOT want to see Matt Belisle out there every 5th day again this year.

if hes pitching as the 5th guy in the rotation i can deal with him. He knows what he needs to work on and I think he has the drive to be a good pitcher I think he can improve still.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Huge upgrade at both Closer and Setup man. Great day to be a Reds fan. Lot of money, but it was a huge need.

Yep for where we could have thrown moeny at middle relief we just threw it at a shut down closer and moved our best relievers into our weakness.

GoReds33
11-23-2007, 06:22 PM
This is the biggest news the Reds have made since getting Griffey. Playoffs 2008!!!

gedred69
11-23-2007, 06:29 PM
I have to say that I'm pretty happy about the move. WK does play his cards very close to the vest. Didn't see this one coming.

I don't think anybody saw this one coming. Wow. The "ifs list" for success in '08 just got a whole lot shorter. If Homer can throw 170+ quality innings, Belisle or Cueto steps up, we should be there. I guess I will re-new my season ticket now.

GoReds33
11-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Rosecrans at the post says that he talked to Krivsky, he was quoted as saying 'Those he reports are inaccurate'. I hope not. Don't put me through a roller coaster. Did we reach a deal yet or not WK?

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Krivsky is such a tease haha

thatcoolguy_22
11-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Rosecrans at the post says that he talked to Krivsky, he was quoted as saying 'Those he reports are inaccurate'. I hope not. Don't put me through a roller coaster. Did we reach a deal yet or not WK?

I swear if it turns out Cordero signs a 4 year deal with the Brewers for 42 million I will personally assault Rosenthal with nunchucks covered in WKs fecal matter...

Dracodave
11-23-2007, 06:49 PM
That Kriv, such a joker (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071123&content_id=2306873&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin)

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 06:52 PM
well i hope it works out for us, i cant say i disapprove of the deal.

SoTxRedsFan
11-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Man, the excitement that he brings to the 9th inning is electric. He's gonna be fun to watch.

reds2221
11-23-2007, 06:56 PM
you can't turn a ball club around drasticly overnight, but this move definatly puts us in the right direction!

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Man, the excitement that he brings to the 9th inning is electric. He's gonna be fun to watch.

Yea I like it a lot, im pumped for opening day already and hope we get to use him. haha

GoReds33
11-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Does anybody else feel the spark he's already brought to this team. Sign me up for season tickets. Great move!!!

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Does anybody else feel the spark he's already brought to this team. Sign me up for season tickets. Great move!!!

High energy always makes me happy.

Vada Pinson Fan
11-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Great News!!!!! Yes, the Reds paid a high price but at this point in time, we had to have Cordero. 44 saves and an all-star last year!!! I'll take that anytime, baby!!!

Kudos to Wayne Krivsky and Bob Castellini and might have been a guy Dusty Baker talked persuadingly to. Don't know but regardless, it appears we have our closer for up to 5 years!!!

Don't stop now!!!! Get us our shutdown,stud, starting pitching, Wayne!!!

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 07:39 PM
I like that the Reds are trying to win back the city from the Bengals.

The way it should be.

ChatterRed
11-23-2007, 07:39 PM
I thought something like this was going to happen. All the cloak and dagger stuff just spoke volumes to me. I had no clue who it would be, but my gut feeling was some kind of big signing. The free agent signings have to be first to determine what you don't have, then you go wheel and deal for what you couldn't get on the free agent market.

It won't surprise me to see some wheeling and dealing in the next week now, for possibly another decent starting pitcher. Just another gut feeling I have.

Think about what this does for Harang and Arroyo, and the guys in the field........it sends a good message. Hopefully everyone does what they need to in the offseason and comes in ready to compete.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 07:42 PM
I think we have a team thats got the mental make up for being a fun season. Lots of good emotion on this team right now.

Hey Meat
11-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Great News. I needed to hear some good news today.

jmac
11-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Great signing. This really surprised me but it's a pleasant surprise.
Burton and Cordero :beerme:

Chi-Town Red
11-23-2007, 07:58 PM
im still in shock!...is it February yet?

goreds2
11-23-2007, 08:08 PM
It was said Dusty Baker would bring us top of the line free agents.

This is a great start!! :clap:

Jay Bruce
11-23-2007, 08:17 PM
I always said that the only potential relief pitchers I would go after were Kerry Wood and Eric Gagne. The reason for this was that I assumed that there was no chance the Reds could outbid some of the other teams for Cordero. The Reds just acquired the best free agent pitcher on the market, and for that, I am very happy.

Carolina Red
11-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Hot Dog!!!! I hope Wayne isn't through shopping, Christmas is still a month away:D

Redsfan08
11-23-2007, 08:55 PM
NOW TIME FOR kERRY wOOD

*BaseClogger*
11-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Yes, Kerry Wood suposedly is asking 2 yr $10 million but he still wants to be a starter, and if we were to actually sell him on the pen, I think it would have to be that he is "the man"... with this signing I think he'll turn his attention elsewhere...

Have you looked at Belisle's numbers last year? His peripherals would have indicated an ERA about half a run lower... The only thing that held him back was hits due partly to bad luck and a high BABP... Perhaps a better season defensively can help these pitchers out...

AmarilloRed
11-23-2007, 09:14 PM
It will upgrade our bullpen, but we now have very little money(if any) to improve our starting pitching. I imagine this will increase the chances of the Reds using the trade venue to acquire starting pitching. I also wonder what effect this will have on the chances the Reds may seek a trade of Dunn this year rather than signing him to an extension.

*BaseClogger*
11-23-2007, 09:33 PM
It will upgrade our bullpen, but we now have very little money(if any) to improve our starting pitching. I imagine this will increase the chances of the Reds using the trade venue to acquire starting pitching. I also wonder what effect this will have on the chances the Reds may seek a trade of Dunn this year rather than signing him to an extension.

I don't think we ever planned on using any money to get SP's thru FA. Gonna have to be thru trades, where we will have to give something up (I advocate Hamilton) to get something in return...

fadetoblack2880
11-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Wasn't Cordero the pitcher who launched a chair into the stands in Oakland a few seasons back?

*BaseClogger*
11-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Wasn't Cordero the pitcher who launched a chair into the stands in Oakland a few seasons back?

no, that was Frank Francisco I beleive...

*BaseClogger*
11-23-2007, 09:51 PM
rotoworld-
"If Rosenthal is correct, then $1 million per year is all it took to lure Cordero from a team set up to contend annually for the next several years to one that simply isn't. That the Reds spent this much on a guy who only figures to throw 70 innings per year shows precisely why they're going nowhere fast. Cordero is a fine pitcher, but he blew one more save than David Weathers did last season. He's only going to make so much of a difference."

this doesn't make any sense... so the Brewers can offer him $10.5 million and they are a bunch of genuises, but we offer $11.5 million and we are dumbies? Also, comparing Cordero's save conversions to Weathers is silly. And by putting Cordero at closer, Weathers terrific save conversion rate will be pitcing in the 8th...

fadetoblack2880
11-23-2007, 09:52 PM
no, that was Frank Francisco I beleive...

You are correct. I knew the name Francisco was involved in it in some way, I just couldn't remember who. Either way, I'm glad to see the Reds are attempting to make a name for themselves. Let's just hope the Cordero doesn't fall into the Great American Ballpark bullpen curse that's been plauging the Reds the last few years...

fadetoblack2880
11-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Heres part of the article:

Chavez singled in the winning run in the bottom of the 10th inning, leading the Oakland Athletics to a wild 7-6 win over the Rangers on Monday night in a game that was delayed in the ninth after Texas reliever Frank Francisco hurled a chair and hit two fans.

gedred69
11-23-2007, 09:54 PM

As usual, Amarillo, astute musing. Somebody in the OF has got to go, we just don't know who that will be. There are the super-subs i.e. Freel and Hopper, but I see them going as a throw-in to close a deal. (Freel has the 3rd/2nd capability and the fan fav', fire). That leaves Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce, or, Griffey? Don't see Bruce being traded, what is Griffey worth? That leaves Dunn or Hamilton.

11-23-2007, 09:59 PM
rotoworld-
"If Rosenthal is correct, then $1 million per year is all it took to lure Cordero from a team set up to contend annually for the next several years to one that simply isn't. That the Reds spent this much on a guy who only figures to throw 70 innings per year shows precisely why they're going nowhere fast. Cordero is a fine pitcher, but he blew one more save than David Weathers did last season. He's only going to make so much of a difference."

this doesn't make any sense... so the Brewers can offer him $10.5 million and they are a bunch of genuises, but we offer $11.5 million and we are dumbies? Also, comparing Cordero's save conversions to Weathers is silly. And by putting Cordero at closer, Weathers terrific save conversion rate will be pitcing in the 8th...

What rotoworld doesn't understand is that now that the Reds have Cordero and the Brewers do not, the Reds are going to contend. A bad bullpen was all that was keeping them from contending last year.
And Weather was not the problem last year, it was the 6-8 innings, which are now stronger since everyone is pushed back a notch.
But what do you expect for the "fantasy" site? They never understand how the game is played in the real world.

*BaseClogger*
11-23-2007, 10:09 PM
What rotoworld doesn't understand is that now that the Reds have Cordero and the Brewers do not, the Reds are going to contend. A bad bullpen was all that was keeping them from contending last year.
And Weather was not the problem last year, it was the 6-8 innings, which are now stronger since everyone is pushed back a notch.
But what do you expect for the "fantasy" site? They never understand how the game is played in the real world.

glad we could agree on something ;)

gedred69
11-23-2007, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=757690;1501139]What rotoworld doesn't understand is that now that the Reds have Cordero and the Brewers do not, the Reds are going to contend. A bad bullpen was all that was keeping them from contending last year.

That says it all. Look at how many leads were blown in 7 thru 9, and it can make you sick. If they had been only 50% better, the Reds would have been in the race.

*BaseClogger*
11-23-2007, 10:13 PM
"I would have liked to stay in Milwaukee, but it's not up to me," Cordero said.

What, did Wayne Krivsky strap him to a chair and force him to sign a contract with the Reds? The BrewCrew made an extremely similar offer...

BigRedMachine2
11-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Great news !!!!!!

SoTxRedsFan
11-23-2007, 11:02 PM
rotoworld-

The Brewers are contending with a good young nucleus from their farm system. The Reds are gonna start contending when Jay, Votto, Cueto, and Bailey are ready to get it going. Stupid article.

mroby85
11-23-2007, 11:02 PM
is it opening day yet? i'm amped!

tripleaaaron
11-23-2007, 11:08 PM
This was the best news I have received in a long long time, and the greatest text message as well. I was at work today at a local restaurant where I am a manager, and a ESPN text message came into my phone. We had just wrapped up a long and tenuous Black Friday lunch rush when it happened. When I glanced at the message I was in shock and instantly recharged but I had to have verification. I ran over to a good buddy of mine who is also a redleg nut, holding my phone to show him the glorious news. It was such a terrific message that we embraced each other for a man-hug right in the middle of the restaurant and began to jump up in celebration. While we received a few strange looks from some of the guests, it was a terrific text message after a horrific morning.

ChatterRed
11-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Rotoworld is going to look stupid fast. Not so much because of the Cordero signing, but for their failing to see the youth movement that is maturing and quickly going to put this team over the top in inexpensive fashion in the field.

George Foster
11-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Wow...The Reds spent some bucks. You have to spend money to make money. Put a winning team on the field and watch the fans come.

If they could dump Griffey's salary, that would be impressive.

An outfield of Dunn, Hamilton, and Bruce could produce 100 homeruns and save 12 million.

What is the Reds payroll now??? WOW:thumbup:

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 11:36 PM
"I would have liked to stay in Milwaukee, but it's not up to me," he said. "We will see what happens with the management and the owners of the Brewers, because we are willing to hear their offers.''

does that scare anyone?

GoReds33
11-23-2007, 11:40 PM
does that scare anyone?No. What I think he's trying to say is that he was looking for the Brewers to antee up the big dollars, and they didn't. If they got outbid by the Reds, then they must not want him. I think he feels that they could have matched the Reds offer.

Betterread
11-24-2007, 12:02 AM
I like the talent infusion. Did the Reds have to spend nearly 50 million for a reliever? Wow. He should transform the bullpen.

roby
11-24-2007, 12:07 AM
I thought something like this was going to happen. All the cloak and dagger stuff just spoke volumes to me. I had no clue who it would be, but my gut feeling was some kind of big signing. The free agent signings have to be first to determine what you don't have, then you go wheel and deal for what you couldn't get on the free agent market.

It won't surprise me to see some wheeling and dealing in the next week now, for possibly another decent starting pitcher. Just another gut feeling I have.

Think about what this does for Harang and Arroyo, and the guys in the field........it sends a good message. Hopefully everyone does what they need to in the offseason and comes in ready to compete.

Harang can now flirt with 20 win seasons! Maybe Bronson too.

*BaseClogger*
11-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Harang can now flirt with 20 win seasons! Maybe Bronson too.

haha good point

stevekun
11-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Oh yeah baby! Finally a signing we can all agree on

AmarilloRed
11-24-2007, 12:42 AM
There will be a cost for signing Cordero. We will give the Brewers a second-round pick and a compensatory pick next year. That is a price I can accept, however.:)

lo ryder
11-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Great move by Castellini and company. It's really nice to have a owner who puts his money where his mouth is. Hopefully, this is one of many moves that will restore some of the luster this club has lost in recent years.

Thanks Bob.

Bip Roberts
11-24-2007, 09:58 AM
So many fans of other teams hate this deal... is that a good sign or a bad one?

Degenerate39
11-24-2007, 10:00 AM
So many fans of other teams hate this deal... is that a good sign or a bad one?

Yes because the Reds just took a good closer away from a division team. I'm sure the other fans wanted him on their teams.

Bip Roberts
11-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes because the Reds just took a good closer away from a division team. I'm sure the other fans wanted him on their teams.

yea most fans are saying that he must not care about winning because he left a team with a future for one that doesnt have one.

::beerme:

topsyt
11-24-2007, 10:40 AM
As to the money-it is simply the market -supply and demand-appears we got the best available to fill a huge need.
What I don't know is how he will fit in the clubhouse-will he mentor our younger arms-team guy or all about me.
Anybody got any insight on his personality.

Degenerate39
11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
yea most fans are saying that he must not care about winning because he left a team with a future for one that doesnt have one.

::beerme:

I have a biased opinion on this but I think the Reds have a bright future ahead as Bailey, Cueto, Bruce, and company matures.

Bip Roberts
11-24-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a biased opinion on this but I think the Reds have a bright future ahead as Bailey, Cueto, Bruce, and company matures.

Yea same here. Im probably just biased also. I mean Harang is awful to some people:ughmamoru

Strider
11-24-2007, 11:01 AM
I like the move because it locks down the back of the games. This takes the pressure off the young guys while they learn and sends a positive message to the team and potential free agents that the Reds are going to make a move.

Some on the other board have lamented the fact that he will only pitch 70 innings per year.

A few thoughts...first these are critical innings where one mistake can cost the game...sorta of a sudden death approach to the game is required. A closer has a different mindset. THe Reds are getting more than an arm.

Second, while Coco is only pitching 70 innings, it will likely be in at least 70 games...nearly half the games the Reds will play this year. Starters pitch more innings but Cordero will have an impact on a lot more games than any single starting pitcher this year.

Third, the 1990 Reds proved that if you could make it a 6 inning game, you could find starters to get you to the 6th a lot easier than finding starters who need to get you to the 8th inning to win. (Last year only Harang could get to the eighth consistantly).

THat's what made the nasty boys so devastating. Other teams knew they had to get ahead of the Reds in the first couple times around the batting order or it was game over. That puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team.

Good move all around.

Degenerate39
11-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Yea same here. Im probably just biased also. I mean Harang is awful to some people:ughmamoru

I always forget about this. If Harang is a 4th starter on any team then they must be stacked.

Bip Roberts
11-24-2007, 11:20 AM
I always forget about this. If Harang is a 4th starter on any team then they must be stacked.

Yea I wonder how the Cubs feel about Harang.

scuba17
11-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Yea I wonder how the Cubs feel about Harang.

What does that mean?

I'm a Cubs fan, and I think Harang is very good.

Not all Cubs fans meet your preconceived stereotype.

Bip Roberts
11-24-2007, 12:32 PM
What does that mean?

I'm a Cubs fan, and I think Harang is very good.

Not all Cubs fans meet your preconceived stereotype.

I meant it as Harang has pretty much owned the cubs the last couple years. I wonder if they think hes just a scrub 4th of the rotation guy.

It was a little sarcasm, if thats the right word.

Nothing to do with the fans. It was just referring to people thinking Harang isnt good. It was more of a reference than anything.

No need to get worked up :)

jmac
11-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I like the move because it locks down the back of the games. This takes the pressure off the young guys while they learn and sends a positive message to the team and potential free agents that the Reds are going to make a move.

Some on the other board have lamented the fact that he will only pitch 70 innings per year.

A few thoughts...first these are critical innings where one mistake can cost the game...sorta of a sudden death approach to the game is required. A closer has a different mindset. THe Reds are getting more than an arm.

Second, while Coco is only pitching 70 innings, it will likely be in at least 70 games...nearly half the games the Reds will play this year. Starters pitch more innings but Cordero will have an impact on a lot more games than any single starting pitcher this year.

Third, the 1990 Reds proved that if you could make it a 6 inning game, you could find starters to get you to the 6th a lot easier than finding starters who need to get you to the 8th inning to win. (Last year only Harang could get to the eighth consistantly).

THat's what made the nasty boys so devastating. Other teams knew they had to get ahead of the Reds in the first couple times around the batting order or it was game over. That puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team.

Good move all around.
Agreed.
While this is a big hunk to pay, it is almost like getting two relievers because of moving Weathers. With Cordero anchoring the 9th and hopefully the continuing emergence of Burton, I feel they could slide Weathers to the 7th or even 6th in some cases.
Also if they use Burton 2-3 games in a rwo, you could rest him in favor of Stormy or rest Cordero in favor of Burton/ Stormy. Just alot more flexibilty now.

dsmith421
11-24-2007, 02:45 PM
One gripe I've always had with the sabermetric blogosphere is the tendency to evaluate the money associated with signings according to the market as it was the last 1-3 seasons, not the market as it is now.

I think this is a hell of a signing, an absolute coup.

Mutaman
11-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Does this mean that the Carl (Banana Man) Lindner era is now officially over?

Degenerate39
11-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm going out on a limb and say Harang won't be pitching 10 innings in a game next year.

Bip Roberts
11-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm going out on a limb and say Harang won't be pitching 10 innings in a game next year.

well we still have dusty

Bigredfan#1
11-24-2007, 07:57 PM
is not just that we are instantly better but it has to hurt our inner division rival the Brewers. This was the one I really wanted!!!

Hey Meat
11-24-2007, 07:58 PM
I agree. I wish we could hurt the Cardinals, but I don't think they have anyone we want.

Bip Roberts
11-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Cardinals need to dump edmonds and we get instantly better against them as well haha

reds77
11-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Cardinals need to dump edmonds and we get instantly better against them as well haha

But then George Grande wouldn't have his all-time favorite player to root for when the Reds and Cardinals play. :D

jmac
11-24-2007, 08:54 PM
is not just that we are instantly better but it has to hurt our inner division rival the Brewers. This was the one I really wanted!!!

Losing Estrada,Cordero,Linebrink, and with Sheets problems staying on the mound, the brewers have certainly not improved to this point.

Bip Roberts
11-24-2007, 09:13 PM
they kinda upgraded at catcher or atleast washed. But they added mota which was so bad

markymark69
11-24-2007, 09:26 PM
This is a tremendous signing. Mark me down as all for it. This was a player that I hoped that the Reds would target in the off-season. With this one signing the Reds have re-shaped their bullpen in a very positive way.

*BaseClogger*
11-24-2007, 09:35 PM
well we still have dusty

heehee

AmarilloRed
11-24-2007, 10:14 PM
It made the entire bullpen better, and that will really help the Reds in the future. He was the best bullpen closer we could get not named Rivera, and Mariano was never going to leave NY. He cost a lot of money, but this time it was money well spent. We could see him help stabilize the bullpen for the next 5 years, and I am sure a lot of the younger pitchers will do better with someone like Cordero to learn from.

AmarilloRed
11-24-2007, 10:24 PM
The Brewers as of now are entering 2008 with Derek Turnbow as their closer.

Redsnake
11-24-2007, 11:36 PM
I have to say the edge in the closer department for our division has too go to the Reds now.

Cards - Isringhausen, seems to be breaking down
Cubs -Dempster,please and Marmol is stilll young
Stros - Qualls, I thought Lidge/Wheeler would have been better
Bucs - Capps, maybe the next best behing Cordero
Brew - Mota/Turnbow, I now feel bad for them

*BaseClogger*
11-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Marmol might be the best releiver in the division...

Stephenk29
11-25-2007, 12:34 AM

I'd agree, he is filthy

Capps is developing pretty well for the Pirates too.

Bip Roberts
11-25-2007, 12:57 AM

He did get a MVP vote... :rolleyes:
Still cracks me up

AmarilloRed
11-27-2007, 11:22 PM
I believe we could see a physical tomorrow, and Cordero will shortly after be officially signed. One move we should expect is that a player will be removed from the 40 man roster to make room for Cordero.

roby
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
I believe we could see a physical tomorrow, and Cordero will shortly after be officially signed. One move we should expect is that a player will be removed from the 40 man roster to make room for Cordero.

Too-da-loo Juan Castro! :D

I(heart)Freel
11-28-2007, 04:58 PM

It looks like it's official. And the odd man out was Buck (shoulda been Bucky) Coats.

Here are the details, per one report:

Cordero receives a $500,000 signing bonus payable by the end of this year, $8.5 million next year and $12 million in each of the following three seasons. Cincinnati has a $12 million option for 2012 with a $1 million buyout.

Cordero has a full no-trade provision during the first two seasons of the contract and a limited no-trade for the remainder of the agreement.

*BaseClogger*
11-28-2007, 05:03 PM
It looks like it's official. And the odd man out was Buck (shoulda been Bucky) Coats.

Here are the details, per one report:

Cordero receives a $500,000 signing bonus payable by the end of this year, $8.5 million next year and $12 million in each of the following three seasons. Cincinnati has a $12 million option for 2012 with a $1 million buyout.

Cordero has a full no-trade provision during the first two seasons of the contract and a limited no-trade for the remainder of the agreement.

thanks for the details

I(heart)Freel
11-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Here's a fun blurb from Milwaukee Sentinel Journal about the Reds' Coco signing:

Melvin said he was still trying to figure out why Cordero's agent, Bean Stringfellow, didn't give him the opportunity to boost his four-year, $42 million offer before accepting a four-year, $46 million deal from Cincinnati. Melvin said he might have offended Stringfellow by placing a Friday deadline to reply to his offer.

"That might have ticked him off," said Melvin. "They had our offer for nine days. We thought that was enough time to give us an answer. We didn't want him shopping it around any longer than that."

Stringfellow said there were "other factors" in accepting the Reds' offer, but declined to elaborate.

Melvin said he didn't anticipate trading for an established closer, because of what is usually asked for in return.

Also interesting and something I hadn't seen posted on here (forgive me if I missed it):

Cordero was a Class A free agent but because Cincinnati (72-90) was in the bottom half of the 30 clubs in terms of victories and losses in '07, the Reds will have to surrender only a second-round draft pick to the Brewers. Milwaukee also will get a compensatory pick after the first round.

Bip Roberts
11-30-2007, 05:10 PM
I refuse to call him coco

ChatterRed
11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Me too. He's not Crisp, he's Cordero

I(heart)Freel
11-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Dude needs a nickname.

Can't have a closer without one.

Until someone comes up with something better, I likey Coco.

Bip Roberts
11-30-2007, 05:40 PM
His nickname to me is going to be Fransisco Cordero

terminator
11-30-2007, 05:45 PM
The "San-Man." Every time I see his name I think it should be San Francisco Cordero.

schmidty622
11-30-2007, 06:24 PM
I say we go get Chad Cordero and then we could have The Brothers Cordero as our two nasty boys at the end of games. JK

thatcoolguy_22
11-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Dude needs a nickname.

Can't have a closer without one.

Until someone comes up with something better, I likey Coco.

My vote is Fransisco "The nearly half of a 100 million dollar man" Cordero

mroby85
11-30-2007, 08:42 PM
I can just imagine George Grande now, "Co-Co is like the little girl with the curl, when Co-Co's good, Co-Co's really really good, and when Co-Co's bad, Co-Co's just awful, wouldn't you say the same about Co-Co Cowboy?"

Bip Roberts
11-30-2007, 08:49 PM
http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/BDD_seinfeld-george.jpg

This is all I can think about when someone calls him Coco.

MaineRed
11-30-2007, 09:52 PM
All I think of is this:

http://www.siyumhaseinfeld.com/images/chars/kruger2.jpg

Bip Roberts
11-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey tbone

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey tbone
Gammy's gettin upset!
Remember John"T-Bone"Shelby, I think he's a coach with the O's, that could get interesting if we play them in inter-league play the next couple years. T-Bone VS Coco

kaldaniels
04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
As Cordero is coming in for the 9th....

I just have to say, I view the Brewers as the team "most-like" the Reds in the NL Central...that is, small market, gotta build young talent, etc....so that, I view the Brewers and Reds as rivals for the position of "up and coming team" in the Central.

So what a coup it was for the Reds to snatch him away from Milwaukee...makes it all the sweeter to watch as the Brewers are still hoping Turnbow can get back on track:D

howyoufreelin
04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
It is oh so nice to have CoCo coming in for the ninth.

Rocket_Fuel
04-10-2008, 07:04 PM
No question, taking away Milwaukee hammer in the bullpen was a monster coup. Now Milwaukee is having MAJOR bullpen issues, similar to our nightmare last year. Meanwhile, the Reds bullpen is strong and Cordero is NAILS when it comes to closing a game. It is so nice to have a legitimate, All-Star closer and to know you have a beast in the 9th if you're clinging to a 1 run lead.

big boy
04-10-2008, 09:37 PM
I like him and all but a 3 run save is nothing to get too excited about.

HeatherC1212
04-10-2008, 09:38 PM

Um, last year we blew more than a few games that had a bigger lead than that so I'll take having a strong closer to fortify our pen over last year's bullpen problems. :eek:

jmac
04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Um, last year we blew more than a few games that had a bigger lead than that so I'll take having a strong closer to fortify our pen over last year's bullpen problems. :eek:

Thank you Heather !! :thumbup:

kaldaniels
04-10-2008, 10:43 PM

Ummm...wow. What, then, is your position/opinion on the Reds getting Cordero for the next 4 years. Please state your opinion for the record.

5ToolPlaya
04-11-2008, 01:27 AM
Tell you what, raise your kid, or even grand kid to be a ML closer and let him do it for the league minimum. Yeah, I didn't think so.

big boy
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Ummm...wow. What, then, is your position/opinion on the Reds getting Cordero for the next 4 years. Please state your opinion for the record.

I like him. It was good to sign him. It is nice having a real closer. I'm just saying it is a three run save. Danny Graves made a fortune converting those. Weathers blew just one three run save last season. The three run save was not the Reds problem last season.

kaldaniels
04-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I like him. It was good to sign him. It is nice having a real closer. I'm just saying it is a three run save. Danny Graves made a fortune converting those. Weathers blew just one three run save last season. The three run save was not the Reds problem last season.

It wasn't the 3-run save I was referring to in my post (posted before the game ended). I think you missed the point. Sure the save was nice, but it was even better watching 1)Corey Patterson make Gagne blow a save with 1 strike to go in the 9th, 2) Watching the Milwaukee bullpen implode in game 2 of the series, and 3) Hearing the announcers talk yesterday about hoping Turnbow gets it together (quite unlikely). What I was mentioning was it was cool that with one FA move...the balance of power in terms of bullpens completely shifted, which was quite evident in this series. Now of course Cordero wouldn't have been out there for each item I listed, but of couse the signing was somewhat of an indirect cause of each item.

But hey, since you mentioned it...I'll enjoy the awesome,outstanding,lights-out save that Coco racked up. :thumbup: